• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep14| This is our Final Dandy, baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember Fooly Cooly was $30 on DVD for TWO episodes, meaning it'd cost $90 for all 6 episodes.

Not to mention, it's still going to cost around $250 to get all the disc sets. Like damn, it doesn't even cost TV series that have 100+ episodes that much.

You could get over 200 episodes of One Piece at the cost for Gurren Lagann on Blu ray. Thank jeebus I have the anime classics dvd from when it was only $30 at best buy. Bought it on a whim just because I heard it was good

Man God

Non-Canon Member
xWzDjkg.gif

I'm powering up to continue Bleach tomorrow. Last ten days have been 2Busy4Me and the only energy I've had during my free time went to Smash Bros.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'd buy more anime if not for the fact I have a bad tendency of having the "I watch it once & I'm good" mentality of most TV shows or movies, save for a few rare exceptions. Plus I'd rather have the money go towards games.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't think I mentioned how appalled I am by Itsygo's awful Fullbring outfit. It's so bad, did Nomura design it?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I got pretty lucky in that my local Library system has a few anime fans that donate to it and another friend of mine left behind a giant anime collection when he moved out of country a few years ago with some real goodies in there.

redhood56

Banned
Oh shit I didn't even realize that is was split into 5 volumes. Fucking Christ aniplex just give me the whole show for $50 with no extra shit.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I got pretty lucky in that my local Library system has a few anime fans that donate to it and another friend of mine left behind a giant anime collection when he moved out of country a few years ago with some real goodies in there.
Mine's got a rather small collection (though the manga selection is decent. Yay for every volume of FMA & about 14 volumes of GTO!), but it's got some good stuff like Summer Wars, FMA, a volume or two of Bakuman, Azumanga Daioh, & I think a few more.

I can also rent a small selection of games for free for 3 weeks. It's where I got Catherine & Batman: Arkham Asylum.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Can't wait for more Hellsing.

All colored in blood edition ;)
Good stuff. Needs more police woman though. :p

Haha, I woulda loved to squeeze Police Woman in there. Woulda never completed it in time though, lol.

Great work SAB! A little confusing at first with the ordering but I figured it out.

Oh wow! I totally did not see that. Thanks! I feel really dumb now. Lol.

Gotta love when themes change over the night! Order becomes orderless, 2 pictures become 1... The Bloody mess made it though everything, though, haha.

I really like your stuff this week, SAB. The blood theme worked really well. Good stuff.

YOUR AVATAR CONFUSES ME! XD Easily the most bloody thing I've probably ever drawn, and mostly likely my first "Boys face deeply buried in boobs" pic too. FOR THE GLORY OF TOONAMI!!!

Just got back from the Doc; I am TB free!

Hey it's time for that Eva Con~

~OK, there we go! Glad to see your scare didn't last too long, even if it probably felt like it did.

The violence in Hellsing feels much more stylized anyway. It's for the sake of cool, not for deliberately grossing out your viewers.

Yeah, after seeing things like BAOH, or many of those things like the Barefoot Gen gifs around the internet, the violence felt kinda tame in detail. I hope to see a few scenes like that in the show, though;

People still buy anime?

Occasionally! Especially in cheap bundles!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's especially noticeable when someone looks awful in Bleach which legit has some of the best costumes in the business.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
oh, no. i meant people don't care about the movies she was in.

People don't care about the movies she was in because she was also the biggest model in the world as a teenager and helped make Calvin Klein a household name with her jailbait ads.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Excluding Aniplex, I might start buying anime now that the pricing is becoming a lot more reasonable. But I think I'm gonna wait until I have a bigger budget (or eventually find a nice girl who likes anime as well & combine our budgets to start a collection).

santeesioux

People still buy anime?

I've been watching anime for like 15 years and Cowboy Bebop and Princess Mononoke are going to be the first physical anime purchases i'll have made. Crunchyroll, Toonami, Hulu, and Funi just make it so easy to stream or watch on TV.

They also showed the Dandy promo. Looks more hilarious and lighthearted than the last two episodes.

Ultimate, what we're watching.
FAKE EDIT: Only up until ep 2. Disregard.

ACTUAL EDIT: IDK anymore, youtube isn't the easiest site to navigate. It might be on hulu but whatever.

You monster. Why are you doing this to us? Aren't we friends?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You could get over 200 episodes of One Piece at the cost for Gurren Lagann on Blu ray. Thank jeebus I have the anime classics dvd from when it was only $30 at best buy. Bought it on a whim just because I heard it was good

Actually you can get them at half that price. On a related note I recently found a gift card with $100 on it. I'm thinking of maybe springing for the One Piece box set. What do you guys think?

mhs004

I've been watching anime for like 15 years and Cowboy Bebop and Princess Mononoke are going to be the first physical anime purchases i'll have made. Crunchyroll, Toonami, Hulu, and Funi just make it so easy to stream or watch on TV.

My man!

Netflix has also been stepping up it's game. Surprising I know.

Actually you can get them at half that price. On a related note I recently found a gift card with $100 on it. I'm thinking of maybe springing for the One Piece box set. What do you guys think?

The collections are great but save that $100 for something cooler

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One Piece is one of the few massive shows I can think of that's rewatchable enough to buy. I'd wait two months anyways just to see if they go on sale for the Holidays though.

One Piece is one of the few massive shows I can think of that's rewatchable enough to buy. I'd wait two months anyways just to see if they go on sale for the Holidays though.

Even if it specially does not go on sale funimation usually does their holiday buy any 3 get them x off, buy any 4 get y off, etc sales

bigkrev

I remember Fooly Cooly was $30 on DVD for TWO episodes, meaning it'd cost $90 for all 6 episodes.

Not to mention, it's still going to cost around $250 to get all the disc sets. Like damn, it doesn't even cost TV series that have 100+ episodes that much.

And back then, A season of an HBO show on VHS or DVD was 90-100 dollars for 13 episodes.

We don't take shit anymore as a society.

Hellsing that good yall?

I tell you what I told everyone; it's a really dumb show, but that's why its good. It's dumb in the same way Commando and Starship Troopers are dumb in that it doesn't really put too much effort in useless shit like plot and characterization and gets to what people really want; action and violence. It's a middle schooler's fantasies come to life. That's why I enjoy it.

blessedbrian

Neo Member
I'd just like to say that it warms the cockles of my heart when I see people discovering (and rediscovering) Hellsing. Y'all are in for a wild ride!

I don't think the music ever reaches the acid jazz brilliance that the TV show does, but Matsuo does what he does well and it comes close (and appropriates one or two tracks, too!). I personally think K.T Gray's performance is a little weak as Seras throughout, but of course Alucard is classic, Crispin Freeman gold. /opinions

And feel free to ruin your impressions of Hellsing Ultimate afterwards with the (riotous!) Abridged Series.

Lurker awaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy~

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
is it Hellsing or Hellsing Ultimate?

I"m watching just normal Hellsing now hopefully it's good

The one airing on Toonami is Hellsing Ultimate.
It's a much closer adaptation of the manga.

The original Hellsing anime sucks.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I wouldnt say he original hellsing sucked, they even brought back all the voiceactors for ultimate because they were pretty good with the original anime, I'd say its close to FMA level, the music is superior in the original anime tho
Shhiiiinnnneee on me

Raxus

From what I remember the OG Hellsing series cut some scenes from the manga and then went straight into a filler arc. It has its moments and great music but the OVA is way better in almost every other aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom