• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep14| This is our Final Dandy, baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

My uninformed guess is that the deal they made just included the broadcast version

I suppose that makes some sense. As in the broadcast version is what was available and the other version may have not been a consideration.

ckohler

Early?
LATER.

Love this week's stuff, SAB. So glad you included the Ginjo face. Best image of the week. Don't feel pressured to get these out early, also. You can wait until the next morning to post this if it helps.

--------

REVIEWS:

Attack on Titan - The pacing in this show is really weird. Why have Levi give a two minute long, monolog in a monotoned voice while being chased by a giant, skinless killer? Why have a flashback during such an exciting chase? Aside from that, I did like watching the science chick go crazy again and the payoff at the end of the episode was cool with them capturing FemTitan. I'm not really sure why they didn't just tell crybaby Eren the plan all along. Maybe they were afraid FemTitan would hear it? A decent episode but not as good as the last couple.

Bleach - I really wish Ichigo would at least TRY to tell his friends their memories have been altered. Even if they don't believe him, you should at least give it a shot rather than ignoring it and whining about killing Tsukishima. The battles were pretty lame with a lot of pointless air walking and lifeless swordplay. Typical Bleach, I guess. The Ginjo twist was a nice surprise though and that face he made... oh man... so laughably bad it was great. I literally LOLDs when I saw it. Another okay episode.

Space Dandy - Hmm.. yeah. Sorry but this is the worst Dandy episode. At least with prior, less-than-stellar episodes there was a some crazy visuals or music going on. This was just completely dull in every department. So some little alien kid we've never seen before was pissed at his baseball playing friend and that sent a baseball to another planet that hit a guy and killed him, although he didn't really die? What a completely pointless string of events. So dumb. If the entire point of the episode was to set up that Dandy has high levels of Pyonium, well, that has already kind of been established. They could have done something much more entertaining here but instead I was bored to tears as I watched every single joke fall flat. Luckly, the finale looks looks to be action packed and fun. I hope it brings the feels.

Naruto: Shippuden - In typical Shippuden pacing, things are moving slowly. So little is happening I had actually forgotten what mission they were even on until someone posted about it (they're looking for Sasuke, right?) Sai is a douchbag who is way too interested in Naruto's junk. That's like the third time he's openly talked about it. Either this is bad comedy or they are legit trying to set up Sai as being secretly lusting some five-tailed-tail.

One Piece - Another good episode. I was glad to see Sniper King bring the giants. Last week, I half guessed that what was going to happen and it did! His dope enterance on their shoulders was totally badass. I'm also glad Blueno was able to keep fighting (instead of just being one-punched) and showed off more of his weird, creepy power. Also, it was neat to see devil fruit being eaten. This episode didn't blow my socks off but it was still a lot of fun.

Gurren Lagann - One of the slower GL episodes that introduces Rosiu (forehead boy), Gimmy (the little boy) and Darry (the little girl). I used to not like this episode and would usually skip it on rewatches. However, over time it grew on me. Mostly because it shows Rosiu's origins and his uncertainty with both faith and leadership. Kamina spitting truth bombs left and right is so refreshing and I always love his eagerness to fight. He isn't mean or a jerk. He's just brutally honest, stands up for truth and doesn't give a cap about tact. Just who the hell you think he is, anyway?! This is the last setup episode for the epicness to come. While next week's episode is a ton of fun, it's also been HEAVILY edited for TV because the original was too lewd. They cut out about half of the episode and inserted recaps. So, don't judge it too harshly. The uncut version is hilarious.

Beware the Batman - I've reached the point where I'm actually going to miss this show once it leaves because I've grown to love laughing at this train wreck. It's high comedy; even funnier than this week's Space Dandy! I love how the cops won't take off Batman's costume because loud noises frighten them. Or how every person in the city is up at 4:00 a.m., including Oracle who no doubt has school the next day. Katana tries to be funny, but her one liners continue to be terrible. When she said, "I know what he needs...," I half thought she was going to try and seduce the Bats. Ewwe. Another wonderfully terrible episode.

Hellsing Ultimate - This show continues to deliver. I love this show! Everyone is a total badass. I'm completely smitten by Police Girl. She's funny, cute, buxom, sweet, skilled marksman and yet becomes a fearsome killing monster sometimes. Such a range for what woudl typically be a two dimensional character! Her comedy faces are some of the best on Toonami right now. Alucard was insane this episode. I really got a sense of just how much more powerful he is compared lesser vampires. The punk vampire was fun (Konami code!) and his foul mouth would make even the Black Lagoon company blush. I want more of this show!

--------

I fell asleep after that due to an early rise. An okay week. Most of the shows were merely decent, a few uncharacteristically bad, and Hellsing continues to be amazing. I know some of us sound like a broken record saying that GL gets better but it really does. All these setup episodes pay off eventually and you'll appreciate them more as the series goes on.

Lastly, guys, please be more careful with the hinting. :/ I'm not just talking about TTGL, which had some really awful hints dropped last night. Both One Piece and Hellsing had moments spoiled for me because people were hinting about things about to happen. Just remember to only comment on what is happening, not what is GOING to happen!

Space Dandy is almost over, guys.

tumblr_inline_nc8l8u9XrJ1qdrixf.png

I don't want it.....this suffering......
*cries in corner*

Soulflarz

Banned
Gonna have to agree on the hinting thing
Theres a diff between "this feels like major foreshadowing" and "its foreshadowing cause i know the plot already and youd never have guessed it otherwise"/"oh screw this guy hes terrible later in the show!"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Agreed, I've stated it before, but it's more enjoyable to both parties if nothing is hinted at as to keep expectations lowered and leads to better reactions. I've done my best to keep quiet on any future episodes (& I'm sure others have as well) & I understand some of us are excited to reach certain episodes, but again, let's not built up expectations that might not be met or spoil it for those who are new to the show. Raw reactions are more enjoyable to read than those who've been given some hints/teasers/impressions from others/etc.

...& also, I get the abridged version of a show can have lots of quotable moments (I'm sure we'll get this during DBZ), but it's more enjoyable if we hear what YOU think, not just quoting something that I might've had interest in, but now probably heard most, if not all the best parts. A few quotes is fine, but don't make it the majority of the posts.

not-sure-if-hinting-at-something-or-just-commenting.jpg

Seriously, though. Ease up on the hinting, fellas.

This is another problem especially when some people are ahead on some shows and not on others. A comment like "this is a nice bit of foreshadowing" could be speculation for a first time viewer OR it could be because they know and are hinting at things

...& also, I get the abridged version of a show can have lots of quotable moments (I'm sure we'll get this during DBZ), but it's more enjoyable if we hear what YOU think, not just quoting something that I might've had interest in, but now probably heard most, if not all the best parts. A few quotes is fine, but don't make it the majority of the posts.

This. Like, I don't really understand the point. There's nothing particularly funny about quoting what the abridged version said in exactly the same context. I don't really have a problem with some quotes in a different context, but basically parroting Hellsing Abridged kind of annoys me a little bit and I hope our watch of Kai doesn't end up this way.

This. Like, I don't really understand the point. There's nothing particularly funny about quoting what the abridged version said in exactly the same context. I don't really have a problem with some quotes in a different context, but basically parroting Hellsing Abridged kind of annoys me a little bit and I hope our watch of Kai doesn't end up this way.

Considering people were already saying things like "well at least we can quote dbz abridged to get though it" and "I can't listen to a serious dub of dbz anymore" I've been worried about this for awhile :/

Soulflarz

Banned
This is another problem especially when some people are ahead on some shows and not on others. A comment like "this is a nice bit of foreshadowing" could be speculation for a first time viewer OR it could be because they know and are hinting at things
That was my huge issue. Its impossible for me to tell.
Like if someone said (ill use an impossible to avoid spoilers) "God they made it obvious Eren is the female titan" I have no clue if youve seen it and you just blatantly spoiled it or if youre watching for the first time. Its easier for everyone in terms of not spoiling if were all on the same page there or if those who are ahead dont give such comments.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Gonna have to agree on the hinting thing
Theres a diff between "this feels like major foreshadowing" and "its foreshadowing cause i know the plot already and youd never have guessed it otherwise"/"oh screw this guy hes terrible later in the show!"

during Hellsing you literally had people posting lines before they were spoken

That was my huge issue. Its impossible for me to tell.
Like if someone said (ill use an impossible to avoid spoilers) "God they made it obvious Eren is the female titan" I have no clue if youve seen it and you just blatantly spoiled it or if youre watching for the first time. Its easier for everyone in terms of not spoiling if were all on the same page there or if those who are ahead dont give such comments.

this would be the best twist ever

during Hellsing you literally had people posting lines before they were spoken

To be fair I think some of that may be people watching online or different providers, I've sometimes see people post a Space Dandy quote a second or two before I heard it which clearly nobody could be ahead on :p

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I suppose that makes some sense. As in the broadcast version is what was available and the other version may have not been a consideration.

I'm pretty sure the edited broadcast version is the only one included in TV packages. It's the only version that aired in Japan, the only version that aired on Syfy (and hilariously they still mosaiced out tons of shit when Syfy aired it), and now the only version airing on Toonami.

My guess is the uncut version is just considered a "DVD Extra" type thing, like most "_.5" episodes.
Fun fact: the only .5 episode that Adult Swim and/or Toonami has ever aired was episode 12.5 of Durarara!!, which only aired on its first run. Conveniently enough, its second run skipped from episode 11 to 13 because of the preemption caused by Toonami's surprise April Fools appearance in 2012.

Soulflarz

Banned
To be fair I think some of that may be people watching online or different providers, I've sometimes see people post a Space Dandy quote a second or two before I heard it which clearly nobody could be ahead on :p
I can actually comment on this delay due to watching toonami consistently in three places. From what I can tell, directv>uverse>dish.
At least, my directv is notably ahead of the other two (half a min?). But people still post quotes ahead by a bit, so...

Edit: it could be where these houses are. Dish is wisconsin but the other two are close, so i can presume at least the directv and uverse difference is relatively accurate?

I'm in the west so I'm able to watching it live with you guys as my cable subscription [Cox] allows simulcasting since I have Cartoon Network. I can vouch that the streaming occasionally delays for a second or two.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

this was like five minutes beforehand

I will also point out, there is a difference between someone saying "LOL Konami code" a few seconds and someone saying "Konami code time" like 30 seconds - 1 minute ahead of when it happens. One is probably a broadcast delay in your area, the other is someone spoiling/hinting at things that haven't happened

Edit: Yep HTown basically saying what I am

Man God

Non-Canon Member
this was like five minutes beforehand

Worse than that they were spoiling the Abridged series, which is like a double spoiler.

Who the fuck wants to watch the abridged series before watching the show, now I'm going into both being spoiled.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I only saw the first one in theaters because I had a friend that was big into Scooby Doo.

Even as a kid, I thought the "twist' was just kind of stupid.

LOLDSFAN

Lastly, guys, please be more careful with the hinting. :/ I'm not just talking about TTGL, which had some really awful hints dropped last night. Just remember to only comment on what is happening, not what is GOING to happen!
While next week's episode is a ton of fun, it's also been HEAVILY edited for TV because the original was too lewd. They cut out about half of the episode and inserted recaps. So, don't judge it too harshly. The uncut version is hilarious.

Pft thanks for hinting that the next episode will be lewd ckohler!!!

Just kidding. :p

Moaradin

yeah it's kinda weird that Velma is way hotter than Daphne.

i also forgot how scarily accurate Shaggy is

Velma was always hotter than Daphne tho

And I think the actor that played Shaggy is voicing him in most Scooby Doo cartoons these days.

Seda

I suppose I should say two things.

1.) Hinting

This thread had this issue in the past but got better with it. However it has crept back in somewhat. What it amounts to is people posting vague commentary about future events, tip-toeing around details trying to be spoiler free. However, these are usually still pretty obvious clues to people who are new to the show.

I know some people have a distaste for 'spoiler culture.' Context is still important, obviously, but that doesn't really give you free reign to post vague things about later events because you are avoiding details. Some will find (and have found) that to be a nuisance if you do that. So, try not to do that. If you cannot resist posting something like this, put it in spoiler tags.

Basically, give first time viewers more credit. You don't have to tell them that "this part is important" or "this part is fun" or "this part is bad". They can decide that for themselves, you know.

Time to be specific:

Oh, hi there Rossiu, I really hope you get your head slammed into the concrete.

Character is first introduced, this *hints* at the character before viewers get to form their own opinion about him.

They both won? Hmmmmmmmm that's so convenient

It doesn't matter how obvious you think something may or may not be. If you know the twists and turns of the narrative, don't imply anything. Knowing BatDan has seen the series, basically, a post like acts as a confirmation.

I love the
foreshadowing
in this episode...

This type of spoiler tagging isn't good form. It's pretty obvious what the tagged word was. Tag the whole statement.

There's actually a good amount of setup in this episode too. A lot of that becomes clearer as the show goes on.

This was already called out on, but again, this is cluing people in on things before they get a chance to make connections on their own.

-

I hope I don't sound like a spoil-sport, but you have to place yourself in shoes who cannot comment on anything other than what has been shown so far.

2.) Hellsing Abridged (and preemptive commentary for DBZ Abridged)

There are a number of people who haven't seen Hellsing. Believe it or not, they don't know what's going to happen. These viewers are watching to see what the characters are going to do, how the conflict is going to be approached, and how the narrative might throw them for a loop. Having a half-dozen people throwing in parody lines verbatim, before they happen, responding to each other, is not only annoying, but confusing. The thing about parodies is that they really only work for people who are already familiar with the source material. It's clear that a good chunk of people are not. So please, be considerate.

As for DBZ, it's definitely a property more people are familiar with. I suppose that might lead to a looser viewing within the thread, but still, parroting lines from a comedy dub is probably ill-advised.

Let's not let this become a bigger issue.

actually i think DeMarco said it was a rights issue rather than a question of the content not being able to air on TV

He did mention that they tried to get the real episode 6, but it would've been a completely separate deal - and also, it may not have been dubbed? Not sure why I remember that?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DVD episode six is dubbed. Either that or I've somehow become so fluent in Japanese that I understood the language perfectly and even real time swapped the english VAs last week when I watched it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom