• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep14| This is our Final Dandy, baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo why hasn't something like Stein's Gate been on here yet? Wasn't that kind of popular on the level of a deathnote?

Gotta a chance to watch it but I don't want to start this shit and find out it ends up on the block in December....like what basically happened to me and Gurren Lagann

no action in Steins;Gate

Man God

Non-Canon Member
We're not friends anymore.
Shows I never want to repeat on Toonami
1 Thundercats
2 IGPX
3 Beware the Batman
4 Symbionic Titan
5 Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Lucky for me three of those are ruled out forever. Brotherhood is a great show but it needs to go. IGPX...I'd probably stop watching that half hour if it came back.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yo why hasn't something like Stein's Gate been on here yet? Wasn't that kind of popular on the level of a deathnote?

Gotta a chance to watch it but I don't want to start this shit and find out it ends up on the block in December....like what basically happened to me and Gurren Lagann
I highly doubt it'll be on Toonami. It might've fit on Adult Swim back in the day, but there's barely any action in the show compared to what we have now.

early school episodes of SBT try way too hard with overly blunt satire, comedy that doesn't hit as often, and setups that are not particularly inspired.

i went there, Man God.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh, I still totally recommend Steins;Gate. It's just more of a Sci-Fi drama/mystery and the first amount of episodes are more based on character establishing and what their lives are like, which would most likely turn off some people because they might think it takes too long for the "actual" plot to get going. Should be mentioned it was based on a VN, which is part of the reason they spend some time focused on character development.

bigkrev

All I know about Steins Gate was that to buy it's official US release early this year, I had to create an account on a website that I'm pretty sure does nothing but sell hentai games

And it came out digitally a month after the physical release. On PC. In 2014.

http://ask.fm/Clarknova/answer/118179245289

Why didn't you guys double up Clone Wars episodes? It's really inconvenient that it's getting cut off in the middle of its run.

That's a fair question. I agree, it IS inconvenient. Unfortunately, our legal department didn't see fit to tell us the show needed to be pulled from the air until a week before we had to pull it! We have no idea why they didn't tell us before, but things don't always run like clockwork at TV networks. Sorry for the inconvenience, we hated to have to yank it like that.

(honestly i think they should've prepared for the possibility that Disney wouldn't let them air Clone Wars while they start airing Rebels, so i'm not sure i particularly buy this excuse)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
http://ask.fm/Clarknova/answer/118179245289

Why didn't you guys double up Clone Wars episodes? It's really inconvenient that it's getting cut off in the middle of its run.

That's a fair question. I agree, it IS inconvenient. Unfortunately, our legal department didn't see fit to tell us the show needed to be pulled from the air until a week before we had to pull it! We have no idea why they didn't tell us before, but things don't always run like clockwork at TV networks. Sorry for the inconvenience, we hated to have to yank it like that.

(honestly i think they should've prepared for the possibility that Disney wouldn't let them air Clone Wars while they start airing Rebels, so i'm not sure i particularly buy this excuse)

The rights were probably in a confusing place. Odds are CN owned Clone Wars outright and they figured they'd be safe that way.

daveo42

Banned
All I know about Steins Gate was that to buy it's official US release early this year, I had to create an account on a website that I'm pretty sure does nothing but sell hentai games

And it came out digitally a month after the physical release. On PC. In 2014.

I'm sure Jlist has more than that...like novelty toys and figures >.>

It was a fantastic game, just sucks that it took so long for to come out here in the US. Everyone should go and at least watch the anime. Best scifi anime out there.

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm sure Jlist has more than that...like novelty toys and figures >.>

It was a fantastic game, just sucks that it took so long for to come out here in the US. Everyone should go and at least watch the anime. Best scifi anime out there.
Game>Anime
If only because the anime really botched a scene from the game at the very end
where Okabe misses his knife swing in the anime and basically trips into kurisu, while in the game she deliberately gets in his way saving the mans life. I still have no clue why the anime changed this.

Game>Anime
where Okabe misses his knife swing in the anime and basically trips into kurisu, while in the game she deliberately gets in his way saving the mans life. I still have no clue why the anime changed this.

......yeah that's a really horrible change. that's a pretty significant chunk of my issue with
the ending.

Soulflarz

Banned
......yeah that's a really horrible change. that's a pretty significant chunk of my issue with
the ending.

I mean I get that it may be a lot easier to show the characters lined up like that for the sake of animation, but the impact is really different when he tragically stabs the girl he loves after trying to save her because sort of gets in his way compared to "whoops i tripped an extreme distance and managed to stab her whoops", which looked odd to me regardless of the fact I played the game. What else did you mind about the ending?

Rutger

Banned
I welcome the quick death of Beware the Batman. Waiting an extra week for the next Hellsing Ultimate is a small price to pay. Hellsing Ultimate starting earlier when it comes back is great too.

SBT is kind of sad to see go though.

I mean I get that it may be a lot easier to show the characters lined up like that for the sake of animation, but the impact is really different when he tragically stabs the girl he loves after trying to save her because sort of gets in his way compared to "whoops i tripped an extreme distance and managed to stab her whoops", which looked odd to me regardless of the fact I played the game. What else did you mind about the ending?

oh god do not click if you haven't seen Steins;Gate:
I just felt the plot convenience of Kurisu's father being the cause of all this, as well as being comically evil on top of that, was way too much for me to swallow. I think the "I tripped" thing works in the sense that it's supposed to be fate, but it still comes off as silly.

daveo42

Banned
Game>Anime

Agreed, though it was more a suggestion since depending how fast you read and/or let the audio play, it can take significantly longer to complete over just watching the anime. It took me around 50hrs to complete the VN. I think it is something everyone should experience for as great as the story and world is written.

Game/Anime spoilers:
I forgot that's how that scene played out in the anime. It was so much worse in the game for Okabe at the moment too. I also feel like a lot of the cooler science stuff was far too lacking in the anime and seemed to gloss over it a bit for the sake of getting on with the story. Those explanation bits were wonderful.

daveo42

Banned
I just felt the plot convenience of Kurisu's father being the cause of all this, as well as being comically evil on top of that, was way too much for me to swallow. I think the "I tripped" thing works in the sense that it's supposed to be fate, but it still comes off as silly.

None of that bothered me. More spoilers:
It fits in with his character that at one time he was an accomplished scientist who was outcast for having some radical ideas about time travel and then was almost instantly overshadowed by his daughter. He's the laughing stock of the community while his daughter is now taking credit where he feels he should. Even if it was shallow, it was his jealousy (and probably a little insanity) that made him go about killing his own daughter. To him, science was his life and losing that while seeing his daughter flourish was the last straw for him. Okabe didn't help by calling him out as a fraud either.

must...not...click...

but....want...to.....ugggg

Not worth it.

Soulflarz

Banned
Specific ending plot points follow
I understand the father part because hes the main reason shes there anyways. Trying to understand why Okabe causes the first divergence is actually really interesting, as you probably wont understand it your first time watching it. But yes, some points are just comical, such as the WW3 plot point.

*Okabe's original dmail did not on its own cause a divergence on the sole basis SERN picked it up hence bringing attention to Okabe, regardless of the fact this is what is primarily inferred/said within the show. Its moreso that it made SERN acknowledge time travel things regarding how Okabe did it and to eventually connect the dots. This eventually leads SERN to create their terrible future, which caused Suzuha to go back and crash into the building. Suzuha going back in time and crashing is important because this is what stopped the conference, therefore saving Kurisu's life.
Basically what im saying is the d-mail didnt in itself do anything, but moreso affected the future to the point of someone altering the past.

And yes, that was hell to think through and write up. Its really confusing in reality and I'm pretty sure most people simply take that dmail's importance at face value like the show infers, so I figured I might as well write it up. Hopefully its useful? And sorry if I wrote it up in a way that makes little sense.

I'm clicking all these, lol
NO. YOU. DONT.

Gorillaz

tumblr_inline_nbtqt6HdBB1r9aaiy.jpg

I dont need to click it
I don't need to click it

Raxus

Batman SEES getting written off.

Shame we lost SBT too but CN is just going to sell off all of Genny's shows one by one eventually.

SPACE DANDY IS REAIRING BABY!

I hope not everyone jumps out during the Batman Marathon. The show is so terrible it is actually a halfway decent hatewatch.

Fuck Psycho Pass

daveo42

Banned

It does make sense to think about it that way.

Also, don't read any of these if you haven't played the game or watched the anime. I'd really like to avoid spoiling any of this for anyone who hasn't.

Edit: Maybe Sony will buy it from CN and then Genndy can finish it!
It's not going to happen ever...

Raxus

It does make sense to think about it that way.

Also, don't read any of these if you haven't played the game or watched the anime. I'd really like to avoid spoiling any of this for anyone who hasn't.

Edit: Maybe Sony will buy it from CN and then Genndy can finish it!
It's not going to happen ever...

Actually Sony registed a website for Samurai Jack Movie so it isn't COMPLETELY out of the realm of possibility.

Gorillaz

The Samurai Jack movie died basically when the voice actor of Aku (Iroh from Avatar) died. I think the writers or something said then that they feel it's best not to go forward after that.

LOLDSFAN

Bad news: We JUST (like, hours ago) found out from our legal department that Beware the Batman and Sym-bionic Titan are being “written off,” financially, as of now. Therefore, after this weekend neither of those two shows will be a part of Toonami again, unfortunately.

Ah poetic justice.

None of that bothered me. More spoilers:
It fits in with his character that at one time he was an accomplished scientist who was outcast for having some radical ideas about time travel and then was almost instantly overshadowed by his daughter. He's the laughing stock of the community while his daughter is now taking credit where he feels he should. Even if it was shallow, it was his jealousy (and probably a little insanity) that made him go about killing his own daughter. To him, science was his life and losing that while seeing his daughter flourish was the last straw for him. Okabe didn't help by calling him out as a fraud either.

Not worth it.

I think they could've gone about it in a way without making her father a drooling villain, though. I mean I could maybe sorta buy them individually (I'd still probably complain), but both together is too much. And I really still think the massive coincidence of Kurisu coming into contact with Okabe, her father being there, her father killing her, and her father being the cause of all that is just ridiculous.

NO. YOU. DONT.

(i'm pretty sure Levyne and Seda have seen it)

Tenumi

Banned
Happy now, ToonamiGAF? :p

Admittedly, the schedule starting October 4 looks pretty good.

11:30p – Attack on Titan
12:00a – Bleach
12:30a – Shippuden
01:00a – One Piece
01:30a - Gurren Lagann
02:00a – Hellsing Ultimate
03:00a – Space Dandy (begins re-running)
03:30a – Cowboy Bebop
04:00a – FMAB
04:30a – Ghost in the Shell 2nd Gig
05:00a – Big O (Season 2)
05:30a – Samurai Jack

I might have a fair shot of staying awake until 3 or so.

bigkrev

I'm clicking all these, lol

I haven't played the game yet (remember: PC gaming isn't about actually playing stuff, it's amassing as big a collection of games as possible), but man is it tempting.

I played a little game while playing Danganronpa 2, going to the spoiler thread, choosing a page, and rolling 2 d20 and reading whatever post number came up.

The only thing I actually managed to spoil myself on was
Nekomaru becoming a CYBORG
, so all in all, it was a success.

I might need some alcohol for it

I would recommend some old school 4Loko if you can find it in your area, or if nothing else, buying some 40s and pouring Sodastream Energy mix into it (if you have taurine pills, grinding those up and mixing them in will help as well.

Or, you can go less hobo, and just pound Vodka-Redbulls all night long.

daveo42

Banned
I think they could've gone about it in a way without making her father a drooling villain, though. I mean I could maybe sorta buy them individually (I'd still probably complain), but both together is too much. And I really still think the massive coincidence of Kurisu coming into contact with Okabe, her father being there, her father killing her, and her father being the cause of all that is just ridiculous.

(i'm pretty sure Levyne and Seda have seen it)

I lay some of the blame on Okabe as well for the events between Kurisu and her father. The outburst did help matters. I can get behind how nice all points came to that one point, but I think the best part is the lead up to the reveal and Okabe's initial mess up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom