• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep14| This is our Final Dandy, baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

The thing with RPGs is that there are often many important aspects that are difficult to judge from trailers or even demos - things like pacing, level structure, dungeon design, progression systems, etc.

I quite enjoyed FFXII for instance, although I'm not hot on it's direct combat system. I took a liking to exploring the various zones - some wide open and some more constricted and tunnel-ly, I liked how there were many paths and areas off the main quest line, several secrets to find, extra bosses to fight, crafting items or equipment to gather. There was just a lot of content there that I found entertaining, many that the game doesn't tailor you to complete directly - it wasn't Ubisoft-style filling bars either (Or rather I should say Xenoblade-style sidequests), the rewards for doing many of these things were substantial and interesting. It's kinda anti-FFXIII in that regard, in which you often only could go along the path the game laid out in front of you.. That does lead FFXII to be MMOish a bit in structure, and I totally understand if that's not what people are looking for, but I enjoyed it nonetheless even though I was only lukewarm with the combat (and narrative to some degree, although the dialogue was great).

I guess what I'm saying is that I can't really allow myself to pay too much attention to pre-release information for games like this, as the information there is only a very small snippet of what the game has to offer.

The FF XV battle system sounds like something that could either be really really cool or really really terrible. Really going to need that demo to get a sense of it, and even then, I imagine you're probably going to be locked out of a lot of its real functionality.

I still don't understand why people complain about auto-attack, though. Jamming A on "Fight" constantly to win most random battles was never exactly super fun.

Xenoblade has Auto-Attack and it's amazing.

I think when people hear "auto-attack" and "Final Fantasy", their mind goes to XIII and they can't handle it.

The thing with RPGs is that there are often many important aspects that are difficult to judge from trailers or even demos - things like pacing, level structure, dungeon design, progression systems, etc.

I quite enjoyed FFXII for instance, although I'm not hot on it's direct combat system. I took a liking to exploring the various zones - some wide open and some more constricted and tunnel-ly, I liked how there were many paths and areas off the main quest line, several secrets to find, extra bosses to fight, crafting items or equipment to gather. There was just a lot of content there that I found entertaining, many that the game doesn't tailor you to complete directly - it wasn't Ubisoft-style filling bars either (Or rather I should say Xenoblade-style sidequests), the rewards for doing many of these things were substantial and interesting. It's kinda anti-FFXIII in that regard, in which you often only could go along the path the game laid out in front of you.. That does lead FFXII to be MMOish a bit in structure, and I totally understand if that's not what people are looking for, but I enjoyed it nonetheless even though I was only lukewarm with the combat (and narrative to some degree, although the dialogue was great).

I guess what I'm saying is that I can't really allow myself to pay too much attention to pre-release information for games like this, as the information there is only a very small snippet of what the game has to offer.

Pretty much said everything I was going to say

bigkrev

The FF XV battle system sounds like something that could either be really really cool or really really terrible. Really going to need that demo to get a sense of it, and even then, I imagine you're probably going to be locked out of a lot of its real functionality.

I still don't understand why people complain about auto-attack, though. Jamming A on "Fight" constantly to win most random battles was never exactly super fun.

Yes on Yes.

I'm pretty open to enjoying stuff. Even "Press X to Uncharted" can be great when it's done well, like in, um, Uncharted

At this point, I care more about the car driving controls than the combat system.

bigkrev

Back on topic then.

These are the top items "Customers also bought" on the Surge soda re-issues from Amazon. I guess the thirst is real
ByJrFTlIYAAsheN.jpg

bigkrev

There's always the thread about the lack of females as party members in FFXV. It's actually way more civil than I ever thought it would be.

Considering they just put out the Lightning Trilogy, I'm falling into the camp of "there is probably a good reason for this", instead of the Assassin's Creed "We are too lazy to make females" camp.

daveo42

Banned
Considering they just put out the Lightning Trilogy, I'm falling into the camp of "there is probably a good reason for this", instead of the Assassin's Creed "We are too lazy to make females" camp.

I agree there's probably a good reason for it. There's also hope that it'll have a much tighter story instead of the jumble of gobbledy-gook we got with Lightning. Still, even if it works with the game, the lack of a female party member in a FF game feels weird. Even though we did already have X-2.

i feel like if we ask the FFXV team to make changes at this point we'll set development back three years

daveo42

Banned
i feel like if we ask the FFXV team to make changes at this point we'll set development back three years

Technically it's only been in full development for about 2 years...I think SE knows they have to deliver this game soon and can't really deal with any more setbacks. Probably one of the reasons why Tabata is directing now instead of Nomura.

JCG

I'd rather have Eva influence then Geass influence, say what you will about Shinji at least he had a character and an arc unlike Aldnoah Zero's main character

And so did Lelouch in Geass for that matter. Problem is, in both cases, the derivatives are lacking in either of those things. Take Shu from Guilty Crown even. He's a weaker Shinji who is hard to feel empathy for. There's lots more in Eva-like shows from the nineties that nobody remembers now. Similarly, Inaho from Aldnoah Zero is a weaker Lelouch, without charisma and little emotion. Either way, Aldnoah was supposedly intended to surpass Gundam, but they can't even get halfway there.

Soulflarz

Banned
To be honest I think FFXV should have female party members. Did they specifically say that it wont have female party members or simply that you cannot control them? If so that kindaa sucks.

LycanXIII

GOOD NEWS/BAD NEWS BATMAN FANS
Bad news: We JUST (like, hours ago) found out from our legal department that Beware the Batman and Sym-bionic Titan are being “written off,” financially, as of now. Therefore, after this weekend neither of those two shows will be a part of Toonami again, unfortunately. What’s the good news? Welp, because we hate to bone you Bat-fans by simply yanking the show, we’re running ALL of the remaining unaired episodes THIS weekend from 2:30a-6a, for one last Bat-blow out. FYI, Hellsing fans: that means we skip Hellsing this Saturday, but don’t worry- it will return next week at an earlier timeslot! Schedules for the next two weeks below:
9_27_14
11:30p – Attack on Titan
12:00a – Bleach
12:30a – Space Dandy
01:00a – Shippuden
01:30a - One Piece
02:00a – Gurren Lagann
02:30a – Beware the Batman
03:00a – Beware the Batman
03:30a – Beware the Batman
04:00a – Beware the Batman
04:30a – Beware the Batman
05:00a – Beware the Batman
05:30a – Beware the Batman
10_4_14
12:30a – Shippuden
01:00a – One Piece
01:30a - Gurren Lagann
02:00a – Hellsing Ultimate
03:00a – Space Dandy (begins re-running)
03:30a – Cowboy Bebop
04:00a – FMAB
04:30a – Ghost in the Shell 2nd Gig
05:00a – Big O (Season 2)
05:30a – Samurai Jack
Thanks, and sorry- these are the kinds of surprises we DON’T like!
Love, The Toonami Crew.

http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/98164760488/good-news-bad-news-batman-fans

Seda

http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/98164760488/good-news-bad-news-batman-fans

GOOD NEWS/BAD NEWS BATMAN FANS

Bad news: We JUST (like, hours ago) found out from our legal department that Beware the Batman and Sym-bionic Titan are being “written off,” financially, as of now. Therefore, after this weekend neither of those two shows will be a part of Toonami again, unfortunately. What’s the good news? Welp, because we hate to bone you Bat-fans by simply yanking the show, we’re running ALL of the remaining unaired episodes THIS weekend from 2:30a-6a, for one last Bat-blow out. FYI, Hellsing fans: that means we skip Hellsing this Saturday, but don’t worry- it will return next week at an earlier timeslot! Schedules for the next two weeks below:

9_27_14

10_4_14

Love, The Toonami Crew.

ahaha

Well, that was a twist of events.

9_27_14

10_4_14

Love, The Toonami Crew.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
To be honest I think FFXV should have female party members. Did they specifically say that it wont have female party members or simply that you cannot control them? If so that kindaa sucks.
DO YOU WANT ANOTHER FINAL FANTASY 13 AND/OR X-2?! DO YOU!?

Clearly, females + Final Fantasy = DOOOMMMEEEDDD and to be hated by everyone!

........well except for Rydia from 4, Terra from 6, Tifa & Aerith from 7, Yuna, Lulu, & Rikku from 10, Ramza from Tactics, and some others I'm not thinking of....

All seriousness: If the plot is all about the group of guys being buds and such forming a bond, then I guess it makes sense. As long as they don't try to force a "token" character, it's fine by me. Don't force a type of character because you feel like you have to.

Edit: Bleh, Beware the Batman marathon? At least Space Dandy confirmed to re-air!!

Guess that confirms a Space Dandy repeat was always in the cards, they just wanted to wait a bit before bringing it back.

Won't miss Bats, will miss Titan.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Actually, will they start over from S1 of Space Dandy, or S2 since S1 already got a rerun?

Also, this means we gotta bump the end date for Hellsing Ultimate a week later.

Attack on Titan
The placement of this flashback baffles me. It has some significant development for the rest of the characters and the dynamic between Eren and the Scouts; this is shit we need to know, and here it is in the middle of a chase for no reason long after it would have been relevant. Worse, the tension behind Eren inability to transform completely disappears when he's literally about to transform right before the flashback; it only works if we don't know what will happen next. I like the flashback itself, but it should have come much earlier.

Bleach
More time spent rehashing what we already know, though Ginjo's heel turn is absolutely hilarious. The only way it's really surprising is for how long he's been considered an ally, which in turn is more a result of the show's pacing. If Bleach moved along at a decent clip or I was marathoning this, the fact that he's SUSPICIOUS in all caps wouldn't have faded to the back of my mind. I'm confident it probably makes very little sense, because as it stands there doesn't even seem to be anything that explicitly required Ginjo to be present for the training.

Space Dandy
This episode was sporadically amusing, but it was just a bunch of silly stuff sprinkled throughout without much that was outright impressive or hilarious. In the running for the worst of season two and probably bottom three of the show in general, but even Space Dandy at its worst isn't boring or unbearable.

Naruto Shippuden
Uh.....what happened? There was a dick joke and a house and...I don't even know. Whatever. Nice derp faces around the campfire. The sensitive artist routine isn't going to make Sai an interesting character; he's just the guy who makes fun of Naruto's junk, which in itself is fine because fuck Naruto but for God's sake don't FOCUS on him.

One Piece
The thing that separates One Piece from Shippuden and Bleach, apart from the plot moving just the slightest bit more quickly, is that each episode has at least one really amusing moment. Here, we have two: Usopp's grand entrance with the giants and Luffy continuing to briefly fight Blueno. It's not perfect or anything because you still want to scream at the show to get on with it, but it doesn't fail to entertain.

Gurren Lagann
It's fine. Kamina is fun, robot fights are fun, but nothing really stands out and the conflict in the village doesn't feel like it has enough room to breath and evolve into something that resonates.

Beware the Batman
I skipped this shit, but I've been told Killer Croc has an Australian accent and holy shit how awful are the people who made this show?

Hellsing Ultimate
My problems with exposition dumps and pacing last week are nowhere to be found here. Just an onslaught of action, great lines, and crazy imagery. It's really a shame this will be a 3am for a while, because it's fantastic. I wish they'd lay off the comedy with Seras, though, or at least go easy on the more "ANIME!" aspects. It's really jarring to see super deformed stuff and the usual facial expressions in this show.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Does this episode move entirely too quickly and pretty much fail to create empathy because we haven't seen Ventress forever and she never had much screentime to begin with? Absolutely! Is the action still great and am I ecstatic to be done with the Senate? You bet your ass. So of course that means the show is ending!

Hellsing Ultimate
One Piece
Gurren Lagann
Attack on Titan
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Space Dandy
Bleach
Naruto Shippuden

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The new schedule looks great. Everything I actually want to see is earlier.
Yeah, instead of taking two breaks waiting for Space Dandy & One Piece, it's one hour break until One Piece for me. Though I'll still end up going to bed at 3:30 due to Space Dandy re-airing. It's nice knowing the shows I watch and don't watched are grouped more conveniently for me.

bigkrev

Awesome schedule for this week- you can go to bed after Gurren and not miss anything!

All seriousness: If the plot is all about the group of guys being buds and such forming a bond, then I guess it makes sense. As long as they don't try to force a "token" character, it's fine by me. Don't force a type of character because you feel like you have to.

I saw The Maze Runner this weekend. They throw a single girl into the movie midway through for no reason and proceed to have her do absolutely nothing- no romantic tension, no nothing. She just exists to look different from all the boys.

Bio-Frost

Woooooo! So happy batman is leaving. Its been such a contrast because im re watching the animated series on amazon prime and saying its leaps and bounds better than beware is a understatement.

Wow. I'm like super bummed right now. Symbionic Titan will be out of CN's hands forever. It'll be forced to go into tv show limbo like Megas and the like.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Woooooo! So happy batman is leaving. Its been such a contrast because im re watching the animated series on amazon prime and saying its leaps and bounds better than beware is a understatement.

Even the worst episodes of TAS tend to be better than the nonsense we get from Beware the Batman. And TAS does have some bad episodes.

Seda

Space Dandy: September 27th, 2014
Beware The Batman: September 27th, 2014
Bleach: November 1st, 2014
Attack on Titan: November 1st, 2014
Hellsing Ultimate: November 22nd, 2014
Big O (Season 2): December 27th, 2014
Cowboy Bebop: January 31st, 2015
Samurai Jack: February 7th, 2015
Gurren Lagann: February 21st, 2015
Ghost in the Shell 2nd Gig: March 28th, 2015
Space Dandy (rerun): April 11th, 2015 (includes two weeks skipped b/c Hellsing)
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood: May 30th, 2015
Naruto Shippuden: AHAHAHA....
One Piece: ....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hellsing Ultimate
I wish they'd lay off the comedy with Seras, though, or at least go easy on the more "ANIME!" aspects. It's really jarring to see super deformed stuff and the usual facial expressions in this show.
This is my main & only complaint with the show so far. I'm a guy who really like comedic anime/manga, but when Hellsing does it, it contrasts with the rest of the show's tone, overall art style when it goes into silly anime style for a joke, mainly with Seras. It's kind of funny, but it leaves a bad after taste because that's not what you were expecting when watching this violent anime about vampires.

Black Lagoon had its funny moments, but it knew to keep its tone and more importantly, its art style consistent when bringing humor in. Not to mention it only used the sillier style for the OVAs, which worked there because they weren't battling with the regular style of the show and was meant to be a separate, sillier take on the characters.

Though to be fair, Hellsing has shown it can do it correctly when we got Jan being crazy and some of the dialogue it came from him. It kept the overall flow of the show going instead of stopping & deciding it needs a switch in tone.

Gorillaz

VERY interested in what they will do with a few shows because it feels like this fall everything is coming to a close, front half of the block, wise.

We know Dragon Ball is coming, I definitely think Psycho Pass is a lock for one of those spots.....and I still think we are getting the BL OVA eventually.

That last episode of bleach will be hilarious on here between the people that are tired of it and Man God pumping it up. It will be such a ying/yang type of deal that it might be funny.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Beware the Batman leaving this weekend? Nice! Marathon? Ick... I'll tape the rest since I'm a TV completionist and watch it whenever.

They're losing SBT rights though? Maaaan... that's sad. I hope Genndy can re-secure the rights and continue it at Sony or wherever he wants.

No Hellsing for the week? That sucks... oh well.

Gorillaz

Yo why hasn't something like Stein's Gate been on here yet? Wasn't that kind of popular on the level of a deathnote?

Gotta a chance to watch it but I don't want to start this shit and find out it ends up on the block in December....like what basically happened to me and Gurren Lagann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom