• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep14| This is our Final Dandy, baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Haven't watched Shippuden since the awesomely animated Sakura and Chiyo vs. Sasori fight.

sasori-vs-chiyo-o.gif

Jecx5ws.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
"It will be a couple months of more reruns than we’d like, and then a month of movies, and we have some great things planned for 2015!"

i presume this means movie month is in 2015 if they have a couple months of more reruns than they'd prefer?
Reads as December again.

Which makes a lot of sense if anything introduced in November is going to go on hiatus for month of movies anyways.

Hellsing ends with one week to go before November, so that'll be odd. Maybe they'll just play three Space Dandy episodes back to back to back?

i would imagine AoT reruns at 11:30 before moving later in the night in 2015 following the month of movies.

Seda

i kinda feel like we might not get anything new until 2015 except DBZ

Right. Attack on Titan is re-running. Kai replaces Bleach, and when Hellsing ends we then have movies*

*Although there might be a week between Hellsing's end date and December and some movies might not be long enough to "cover" the 2am hour.

Also assuming Attack on Titan will still air during movie month, assuming they start movies at midnight and AoT is keeping the 11:30 spot.

Titan could slide down once Hellsing finishes and they could start airing something new at 11:30, it'd only be like 3-4 weeks of a rerun being at 11:30

Raxus

Please mother of God this. Especially coming off a Dandy high. This would be a great companion piece.

Unce Unce Unce Unce.

Space Dandy review and Beware the Batman reviews later.

Best episode of the night was Space Dandy hands down.

Reviews:

Attack on Titan
Pretty creative way to escape as things go from bad to worse for the scouts. Shame there were so many stills this episode since I otherwise quite liked it a lot. Tons of foreshadowing for later in the series and beyond. Next episode is going to be pretty painful. You've been warned.

Bleach
McGuffin blade, Ichigo crying, and poor pacing to boot. Yep. Now I remember why I hate Bleach.

Space Dandy
Fuck yo chair God. So much was tied together thanks to this episode and the animation and jokes and the twists and the...I could go on and on but it is easily one of the top 5 episodes of Space Dandy and a strong finale to a series I have grown to love. Will watch again and again.

Shippuden
...and we come back down. Dandy is a poor companion piece for Shippuden since it really highlights the shit animation. Add to the fact Naruto is being such a whiny bitch it takes away everything that you like about the character. It is a shame I kind of like Sakura early in the series *late series and manga spoilers*
and then I remember how she gets character assassinated by Kishi. God damn it...

One Piece
Lots of great action this. Luffy kicks things up a notch, Zoro and Sanji show why they are strongest fighters in the crew and we even had time to squeeze in one more tragic backstory. Things are coming to a head as we have strong episode after strong episode of One Piece for the next 2 months.

Gurran Lagaan
I personally hate this episode. So much fanservice and a recap episode after just 5 episodes to boot. At least it was somewhat creatively told I guess. Things should improve over the coming weeks.

Beware the Marathon
I decided to cover this in my review after I have finished the series since I collapsed from the drinking last night. It will not show up in the rankings.

Rankings:

Space God Tier
Space Dandy: It was great watching you. I am actually pretty sad I have to retire you from rankings after this point.

Good tier
One Piece
Attack on Titan

Bad tier

Shippuden
Bleach

MIA tier
Hellsing Ultimate

Probably enough time for a random FLCL run somewhere in here...

I could see that as one of the two replacement slots for hellsing along with another stable like igpx with the plan to replace flcl with something new and igpx to run in the lower part of the night for free. Or could slide down titan into one of those slots, guess it depends on how fast they want to get uncut sailor moon on the block

wait did i miss some news or something?

Toonami has every few months a tumblr q&a session, currently we've learned from this one

Attack on titan is repeating

Bleach is being replaced by dbz kai on november 8th and will probably not repeat

December will be a month of movies

Kill la kill, sailor moon, and sao s2 are the most requested shows

Soulflarz

Banned
Toonami has every few months a tumblr q&a session, currently we've learned from this one

Attack on titan is repeating

Bleach is being replaced by dbz kai on november 8th and will probably not repeat

December will be a month of movies

Kill la kill, sailor moon, and sao s2 are the most requested shows

yay SAO2 hate watch!

yay SAO2 hate watch!

SAO s1 did gang busters for Toonami and Aniplex, they even had a contest for it during its run.

Sailor Moon along with DBZ were the two animes that helped Toonami (and anime in the west) explode in the 90s. Airing the original series uncut and the currently airing crystal are basically all but confirmed

Kill La Kill is up in the air because of its sexual content and the cost of making it work for US airwaves. There is clearly a desire from the fans that Toonami/AS recognizes but it'll come down to how much aniplex and adult swim are willing to help cover the cost of censoring its nudity/sexual content and if its worth airing at that point

"watch and find out!" in regards to another Viz show being on the block after Bleach makes it sound like there will be

Its gonna be sailor moon uncut, they already have half a years worth of episodes dubbed

But they are leading off the block with recut DBZ episodes :)

Heck if anything with how much Sailor Moon was censored before it might as well be a completely new show :p

yeah, it's DBZ. and Kai is a little more significant of an upgrade. if the new Viz show is indeed Sailor Moon, i expect it to premiere later in the block.

madman400096 asked:
We know about Fox buying Slayers, Rayearth, and Escaflowne before you could. Any other shows you wanted that go snatched up by other networks?

"Happens all the time. Is starting to happen now, with places like Netflix. Just the TV biz!"

Uh oh, could we be screwed out of HxH thanks to Netflix?!

Tenumi

Banned
madman400096 Asked: We know about Fox buying Slayers, Rayearth, and Escaflowne before you could. Any other shows you wanted that go snatched up by other networks?

Happens all the time. Is starting to happen now, with places like Netflix. Just the TV biz!

Hmm... I'm sure some people could find some Netflix anime that Toonami might have wanted...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom