• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep14| This is our Final Dandy, baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
You're right. AoT replacing Brotherhood would probably be good for Toonami. Personally, I enjoy Brotherhood more (so far as I've seen of AoT) but the ratings on AoT would probably be higher.

I also agree that SAO II is a shoe-in to happen. I can imagine that being fun to watch if it's great or terrible. It would likely be a ratings boost regardless, so everyone wins.

I've not heard good things about the new Sailor Moon series, though. Mostly that its production values are very cheap.

They are cheap even by Toei standards. Let that sink in for a second. Personally my big issue is with the transformation sequences.

Maybe we are getting Jojo and Hunter x Hunter and that is why they were not mentioned?

We can only hope that ends up being the case.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I sure as hell hope that Toonami worked something out where they'll be the first to show the Jojo dub. Hell, maybe that's the Viz show that'll replace Bleach, since they own the manga rights to it and have/will release the Part 1 & Part 2 mangas over the next few months.

Them talking bout Netflix preemptively taking shows from them doesn't make me too hopeful about HxH.

well, rumors floating around have said that Hunter x Hunter wasn't even licensed by the time Netflix got the subtitled version; they just got it straight from Japan.

plus they had subtitled AoT before Toonami aired the dub. i wouldn't worry unless they throw up a dub for Hunter x Hunter.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Anyway, we should be getting four new shows since reruns get shunted to 3:00 or later, the back end. Also, don't forget that Toonami lost so many programs recently they had to rerun Space Dandy ahead of schedule, AoT will probably replace The Big O or GiTS.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
they didn't even put up Knights of Sidonia until they had it completely dubbed, though, and they slapped NETFLIX ORIGINAL on top even though they only paid for it to be localized.

Maybe this is also the case with Hunter x Hunter, we know so very little about what is going on there.

Anyway, we should be getting four new shows since reruns get shunted to 3:00 or later, the back end. Also, don't forget that Toonami lost so many programs recently they had to rerun Space Dandy ahead of schedule, AoT will probably replace The Big O or GiTS.

i don't think they traded airing two new shows for airing Hellsing Ultimate; my guess is that AoT reruns will take up half of what was previously Hellsing's hour come 2015, with a new show coming in at the 2am slot. for the remainder of 2014 i'll be surprised if they budge from 11:30, though that would only be for November.

Maybe this is also the case with Hunter x Hunter, we know so very little about what is going on there.

if they've been willing to hold back a show from their service until they've dubbed it into other languages, i don't see why they'd change that format here. having everything available at once is how they choose to run things, and i really doubt they'd leave off their "Netflix Original" branding. if this was a Netflix exclusive thing, it's not in their nature to do anything but shout it from the rooftops. i imagine it's just in the case boat as Kill la Kill, Noragami, and Attack on Titan.

So next Saturday the line up is

11:30 Attack on Titan
12:00 Bleach
12:30 Naruto Shippuden
1:00 One Piece
1:30 Gurren Lagann
2:00 Hellsing Ultimate
2:30 Hellsing Ultimate
3:00 Space Dandy rerun
3:30 Ghost in the Shell 2nd Gig
4:00 Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
4:30 Cowboy Bebop
5:00 Big O S2
5:30 Samurai Jack

On November 8th our line up will be

11:30 Attack on Titan rerun or ????
12:00 DBZ Kai
12:30 Naruto Shippuden
1:00 One Piece
1:30 Gurren Lagann
2:00 Hellsing Ultimate
2:30 Hellsing Ultimate
3:00 Space Dandy rerun
3:30 Ghost in the Shell 2nd Gig
4:00 Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
4:30 Cowboy Bebop
5:00 Big O S2
5:30 Samurai Jack

Then on Saturday the 29th of November the week before movie month begins Hellsing Ultimate will need to be replaced by two shows. If you're going to start a show that week it needs to be at 11:30 otherwise it'll end up on break for 4 weeks during the movie month. I suppose they could slide up DBZ Kai to 11:30 and just let that air during the month of movies, or perhaps they'll just start the movies at 11:30 and have more time for reruns at the bottom.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
No way Attack on Titan stays at 11:30 PM, we have seen that Toonami moves or removes shows the instant they are done in most cases.

No way Attack on Titan stays at 11:30 PM, we have seen that Toonami moves or removes shows the instant they are done in most cases.

oWHmO99.gif

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I knew you were going to do that, Space Dandy Season 1 reran because we got a Season 2 after a cour break. Now that Space Dandy is over it is being moved to 3:00 AM and also the only reason it is starting over this soon is because Beware the Shitman got yanked so quickly. Basically the exception that proves the rule.

I knew you were going to do that, Space Dandy Season 1 reran because we got a Season 2 after a cour break. Now that Space Dandy is over it is being moved to 3:00 AM and also the only reason it is starting over this soon is because Beware the Shitman got yanked so quickly. Basically the exception that proves the rule.

well, the thing is that they've only got like four weeks before the movie month steamrolls over the top half of the lineup; that's really not a long time to have AoT out front before probably moving it back in January 2015 in favor of a premiere. it would be weird to start a brand new show with such a short amount of time to go at 11:30.

starting DBZ would be different since it's a long show they'd be using as their "anchor" to replace Bleach, and it's DBZ so it can't really have its momentum killed by being cut off after four weeks.

BassForever said:
Yep, and they knew it was only a matter of a few weeks before AoT would be ready to go so Dandy S1 kept the seat warm if you will

that's pretty much what i'm saying i think will happen for AoT reruns; they'll be there to take up space until the movie month and they bring in something new in 2015

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
well, the thing is that they've only got like four weeks before the movie month steamrolls over the top half of the lineup; that's really not a long time to have AoT out front before probably moving it back in January 2015 in favor of a premiere. it would be weird to start a brand new show with such a short amount of time to go at 11:30.

starting DBZ would be different since it's a long show they'd be using as their "anchor" to replace Bleach, and it's DBZ so it can't really have its momentum killed by being cut off after four weeks.

that's pretty much what i'm saying i think will happen for AoT reruns; they'll be there to take up space until the movie month and they bring in something new in 2015

We don't know when they intend to start movie month, as in the actual time. Also, they did tip the hand a little by saying that multiple shows, big and small, are premiering here in the fall. Also, Attack on Titan ends the same week as Bleach, so something needs to take the place. Nothing adds up to were AoT sticks around at 11:30.

They are not gonna open the block with a rerun. No way.

tumblr_n0s97j30AS1s8yubro6_500.gif

We don't know when they intend to start movie month, as in the actual time. Also, they did tip the hand a little by saying that multiple shows, big and small, are premiering here in the fall. Also, Attack on Titan ends the same week as Bleach, so something needs to take the place. Nothing adds up to were AoT sticks around at 11:30.

i don't see why they wouldn't start the movie at 11:30, and they didn't specify when those new shows would be premiering other than "upcoming months", which can easily be January. something wouldn't need to take AoT's place if it just stays there and reruns for 4 weeks.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
tumblr_n0s97j30AS1s8yubro6_500.gif

they said the movie month was starting in December, and they didn't specify when those new shows would be premiering other than "upcoming months", which can easily be January. something wouldn't need to take AoT's place if it just stays there and reruns for 4 weeks.

Okay, name another example other than Space Dandy.

Okay, name another example other than Space Dandy.

do i need another one? i really don't see why it's so unbelievable that they'd leave AoT where it is for a month; remember how well the marathon did? it makes way more sense than starting a new show and then immediately cutting it off. similarly, it wouldn't make sense to have an entire movie month that pre-empts all of your premiering shows except one at 11:30.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
do i need another one? i really don't see why it's so unbelievable that they'd leave AoT where it is for a month. it makes way more sense than starting a new show and then immediately cutting it off. similarly, it wouldn't make sense to have an entire movie month that pre-empts all of your shows except one at 11:30.

Becasue that it not the way of Toonami anymore, you don't see Blue Exorcist or Soul Eater on the block anymore and they were gone the next week. So yes, you do.

Becasue that it not the way of Toonami anymore, you don't see Blue Exorcist or Soul Eater on the block anymore and they were gone the next week. So yes, you do.

alrighty then, Bleach reruns when they caught up to the dub. satisfied? Blue Exorcist and Soul Eater really aren't great examples when they were never intended to rerun.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
alrighty then, Bleach reruns when they caught up to the dub. satisfied? Blue Exorcist and Soul Eater really aren't great examples when they were never intended to rerun.

Once again, that falls into the pattern of prevue of a show not being over and really needing more time for dubbing. It is like Space Dandy in the fact that both shows were in holding pattern because more show was on the way. Bleach seems to be departing the week after it completes for Dragon Ball Z Kai. Space Dandy headed to the back end after it was complete. Attack on Titan will most likely follow this pattern of behavior.

Once again, that falls into the pattern of prevue of a show not being over and really needing more time for dubbing. It is like Space Dandy in the fact that both shows were in holding pattern because more show was on the way. Bleach seems to be departing the week after it completes for Dragon Ball Z Kai. Space Dandy headed to the back end after it was complete. Attack on Titan will most likely follow this pattern of behavior.

you're welcome to explain to me how it makes more sense to premiere a show for a grand total of four weeks before cutting it off for another four than it does to just have a rerun there until the movie month starts.

the precedent you're citing here boils down to what they did with only one show. and we don't even know that they planned to rerun Space Dandy at all this year; it only popped up because Batman was written off. just because they're doing this with Space Dandy when they got caught with their pants down doesn't mean AoT is going to leave immediately.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It also does not mean that AoT is staying at 11:30 PM, I think that is where you are getting tripped up here. You could also ask what sense does it make to have DBZ Kai on for 4 weeks and then preempt that for another 4. Movies could be starting at midnight, could be starting at 12:30 AM. They could break all previous known protocol and rerun AoT as the same time, but there is little evidence to support this.

It also does not mean that AoT is staying at 11:30 PM, I think that is where you are getting tripped up here. You could also ask what sense does it make to have DBZ Kai on for 4 weeks and then preempt that for another 4. Movies could be starting at midnight, could be starting at 12:30 AM. They could break all previous known protocol and rerun AoT as the same time, but there is little evidence to support this.

My question to you Shard (not saying I disagree that AoT will be moved back) is where does Attack on Titan go? We know Bleach is going at Noon and Hellsing Ultimate still takes up two spots at the bottom of the block and every other slot if occupied for the immediate future. I think the reasonable thing is that attack on titan's first 3 episodes will reair at 11:30 until Hellsing Ultimate finishes, and then it'll slide down into one of those spots freeing up 11:30 for whatever new show they want to premier. That premier wouldn't be impacted by the month of movies as the movies would start at midnight.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
My question to you Shard (not saying I disagree that AoT will be moved back) is where does Attack on Titan go? We know Bleach is going at Noon and Hellsing Ultimate still takes up two spots at the bottom of the block and every other slot if occupied for the immediate future. I think the reasonable thing is that attack on titan's first 3 episodes will reair at 11:30 until Hellsing Ultimate finishes, and then it'll slide down into one of those spots freeing up 11:30 for whatever new show they want to premier. That premier wouldn't be impacted by the month of movies as the movies would start at midnight.

They might slide it into storage.

It will probably be filler after all the new releases.

i've already addressed why it at least somewhat makes sense for DBZ, though (to which i'd add that it might be a budget thing that they would premiere other shows in 2015 instead of around the same time as DBZ.) and as for movies, the point of a December movie month is partly because of the holidays. people travel, people see their family, and people don't sit around watching midnight anime on Adult Swim; part of the point is maximizing viewership for the premieres by giving them a break during the time they won't have as many people watching, so i will be absolutely shocked if the movie month starts at a time other than 11:30.

i don't find "they needed more time to dub the show" to be a meaningful distinction, either. when it comes down to it, the reason they had for placing a rerun at the front of the block isn't really the point here. the point is that they had the confidence in that show and the rest of the block to do it, so there's no reason they wouldn't do it again. what happened in the past matters very little if it doesn't make sense, and cutting off both DBZ and a brand new premiere does not. there's no tradition they're adhering to; they only did it because it made sense at the time, and here it doesn't make sense so they have no reason to do it.

but either way, i don't think we're getting anywhere with this.

I'm pretty sure we'll get another show announced or two before the end of 2015, losing beware the bat should have pushed up various plans not delayed them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom