• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep14| This is our Final Dandy, baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorillaz

that narrator explanation of planet trendy is something magical

"bae"
"skrilla"
"turn up"
"swagga"
VS9ouo9.png

Gorillaz

it killed me because it literally came out of nowhere like why did narrator just change up like that

The never ending Dub v Sub war might have ended with Commander Pixis talking about bringing the bae to vacation

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
just realized I shipped harder for Dandy and Scarlet after 20 minutes than I have for anybody in three seasons of Korra

and two seasons of Black Lagoon

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I totally feel like a few thoughts on a few Episodes too!

Attack on Titan> It was pretty nice to see everyone go Arimin and act strategically. Everything here was all handled so well. Reigner's revival from certain CRUSH, Sasha's encounter with SpiderTitan, FemTitan's foreboding entrance... it all works so well.

It was at this point watching the sub that I really learned to accept that if this show could produce something like THIS due to cutting corners on talkie eps and such, I was perfectly fine with that. I feel better about it here than I ever felt in One Piece. The payoff was totally worth it.

Attack on Ichigo's Sanity> I don't dislike Kamenchigo. I kinda dislike the fact they took the time to show us that... and then throw him into a "battle" where it's worthless. Though that is also kinda cool, in messing with our expectations. The idea that Ichigo could have prevented a lot of this if he was with his loved ones, rather than training, is a nice suggestion.

Tsukishima has a great covert ability. Kind of makes me wish people in Bleach would extend their use of abilities to private or academic use. It feels really nice to see something boil down to something different than Shonen power levels.

Space Dandy> One thing I like about the Dandy and Scarlet relationship is that, minus the bratty complaining, he always seems to treat her very seriously. He rarely treats her as a sexy object, and it really makes him feel a bit nuanced.

This was shown very well in this ep. Everytime he actually had something serious to say to her, he dropped all of his goofy, shy, idiotic, or otherwise generic male hero style ways, and instead talked very honestly with her.

And Scarlet's way of laughing off the house explosion, after being freaked out by a REALLY freaky spider... Thank you for not going all Tsundere on us! She didn't blame Dandy for a situation that wasn't his fault, or hold any resentment.

Also, watching her shift through so many looks and talents / interest all episode.. did a great job at making us actually feel like her major flaw in relationships must be bad choices, and not that she's just a contemptible annoyance, like most episodes like this would make us feel.

I swear her previous boyfriend died in Gundam somewhere, tho.

Anywho, the close encounters of the heart wrenching kind was quite well played. Though I thought he'd at least slip her the Chuck tape after their final alien fight.

And now, another Dandy romance right after this! This will be... an interesting pairing of eps.

One Piece> *STOP BEATIN' ON MAH ROBINNNNN!* *Did anything ELSE happen here? Oh, a good fight is coming soon!*

Gurren Lagann> I wanna hear Viral as Nobuyuki Hiyama! As Yoko reminds us that Gainax can do a great job at making attractive women out of youths that shouldn't be so comfortably in the ballpark of superhot, we get a lot of peeks at inner-character relationships that'll develop from hereon out. I love how Yoko feels so much more learned than Kamina right now, and I also love how this isn't a huge deal for either of them. She praises him when he does well, He accepts his lack of knowledge without much of a fight, and they both become closer because of it.

Without such level-headed backing, Simon would probably be going the way of Shinji. But he gets solid support, and his emotions aren't dragged through the dirt for the fun of others. So he's actually DEVELOPING COMFORTABLY!

The quality of relationships helps me feel like I'm watching quality 90s anime, rather than overwrought modern day works that try too hard to force weak characterizations too far forward. I kinda feel like it's a more accomplished version of the development that IGPX attempted.

Beware the BLAH> I've just decided I... don't like Katana's characterization. She seems like an obvious character to add a "playful" side that younger watchers can relate to, but it just... feels SO BAD on this adult animation block.

Batman's become my best time to catch up on Dump Pics that I'm lagging on. That's the only appreciation I really have for it right now..

Black Lagoon> By itself, I can't stand that Yukio committed suicide. "This world is messed up, and no one can come out the other side. Either you embrace it, or get crushed by it!" BLAHHHHHHH. It trivialized all the strength she showed in the past few episodes. WEAK, DON'T LIKE IT, NOPE.

*ahem* Now, as a Vehicle for Rock to change, I think her arc was excellent. She's the closest Rock has had to a parallel in this show, which is full of bad b***h women who act like different shades of Revy. I liked her as a main character parallel than I'll ever like CIA-nun or Chinglish.

Ginji did a good job of showing a crazy Revy-like love for violence in the end, and I KINDA like how their fight was full of respect for each other. Though the ultimate "Lets just kill each other!" resolution is just... BLAHH, still.

Balalaika ruled the ep, surely. But even her walking out after obvious live gun fire was a bit overly hammy. I would have loved to have seen an overly-ambitious junior do-gooder actually land a shot on her, thinking that anyone as obviously guilty as her couldn't get away unscathed. She pulled way too much stuff in Japan to have EVERYTHING go her way so cleanly.

I wonder if I would have been a big fan or this series if I picked it up years ago as manga. Gunsmith Cats has moments of being more vulgar than I'd prefer at times, but it's still one of my top favorite manga....

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood> Mei and Ling really help make Brotherhood for me. She feels like the comedy side that this series has over original FMA done right, and Ling give incredibly strong performances in his attempts to fight FOR HIS PEOPLEEEE! Much like Bebop in general, I can watch this show over and over, and still appreciate the great episodes almost as if they were new to me.....

BEBOP! > ....I never liked this episode much, however. However, I think on a re-watch, the way it parallels later events in the series is GREAT. Faye's "Don't go Spike, you might DIE...." Is totally removed from almost the exact same conversation in the final Real Folk Episodes. As is Spike's way of explaining his views on his life to her. It perfectly emphasizes how much the crew got to know each other since the events of Episodes like Speak like a Child.

Spike, you're getting attacked by an evil Digimon kid! Head'shot'em and lets go on to Heavy Metal Queen. "And it's not repulsive, it's very soothing. It's called 'Heavy Metal', by the way."

Star Wars: Do I Look so Bad?> It's kinda fun visiting the home of the enemy. This show tries to play it's Grey area, so I appreciate that. It was late though, and I was behind on pics, so I didn't pay much more attention than that, lol.

SAMJACK> Same issue as above. I don't remember this one well, so... probably needed to pay more attention. But Jack always manages to be a better take at feeling serious and adult within kid trappins, than BtBrat ever manages to be. Even while half-watching, it's easier to recognize how strong a show it is.

Black Lagoon> By itself, I can't stand that Yukio committed suicide. "This world is messed up, and no one can come out the other side. Either you embrace it, or get crushed by it!" BLAHHHHHHH. It trivialized all the strength she showed in the past few episodes. WEAK, DON'T LIKE IT, NOPE.

*ahem* Now, as a Vehicle for Rock to change, I think her arc was excellent. She's the closest Rock has had to a parallel in this show, which is full of bad b***h women who act like different shades of Revy. I liked her as a main character parallel than I'll ever like CIA-nun or Chinglish.

i don't think she necessarily has to be a Rock parallel for her suicide to work; the trivialization is the point, because the show is saying that even with some strength it doesn't matter in the end when you've lost everything because the world sucks and a whole host of depressing stuff.

Gorillaz

She was fucked from the get go. That was the lesson. Once Ginji died she literally had nobody close to her.

Would she have been better running away from it all? Yea maybe. Probably. Thats why i mentioned back at the start of the arc the whole fighting for honor doesn't mean shit when the cards are on the table. Take the L and keep it moving.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
i don't think she necessarily has to be a Rock parallel for her suicide to work; the trivialization is the point, because the show is saying that even with some strength it doesn't matter in the end when you've lost everything because the world sucks and a whole host of depressing stuff.

It just feels so... weak. At least giving her that bit of purpose makes the arc seem like more than Power-Of-Bala fanservice. We went through what ended up being weeks of trying to learn to like these characters, and they did a good job at making this Highschooler seem like she might actually have a level head, strong enough to do something different within the world's rules. It was kinda nice how passive she was with shooting at Rock and Revy, and with robbing the bank last ep. She wasn't so detached that she appeared frail, and she wasn't so entirely in to it that she seemed insane.

But then we fall back on the "I love my Bodyguard, and without him~" *Throatstab*

I did think it was kinda funny seeing Rock, as a Japanese Native, calling Bullsh*t on her very eastern-framing for her actions.

It just feel like it would have been much more interesting to see how they both lived with the path they chose, rather than an ending that felt like it exist just to be a climax for the season end. Would Ginjo have been able to follow her forever, or could he have eventually snapped, and taken it out on her somehow? Was she born so close to the dark, that she could have shifted to it smoothly forever? Considering even Revy respects Balalaika, could this pair have been a group that could have grown something worthy of standing against her, due to the strength gained from fighting against the loss she brought upon them?

All this, left open due to a fight that still kinda feels it didn't even have to happen.

I liked how they used the bank robbery as a way to make use of police tracking to find Balalaika. She was actually a bit surprised! A bit more of that, and maybe the story would have felt more well-balanced...

BBboy20

evilwith1.gif.gif4qju0.gif

ibkpamjVGfk0Mw.gif

My October nights are gonna be so much fun :D
Dusk Golem's extensive previews of it gives the impression that despite appearing to be REmakeXRE4, it's actually not and might actually be an actual evolution to the survival horror genre which surprises me considering most spiritual successors play it pretty close to the cards on what came before. Also, maybe The Evil Within is really a prologue of the upcoming Week of Platinum (Bayonetta: Bloody Fate, The Legend of Korra, Bayonetta 2) due to it being made by the director of Vanquish and co-founder of Platinum.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 35

Okay, was it just me or were the subtitles hideously desynced? like it took a couple of seconds for some of them to appear on screen and shit like that. Anyway, this is the thrilling conclusion to what amounts to a three part mini-arc that heralds the end of the Zoicite arc, and damnation if these arc shift are not the best of Sailor Moon. I know the first series reveled its zany absurdity but this is one of those shows that could bring the proper amount of dramatic gravitas when the tonality called for it. At any rate, the curtain of exposition is finally delivered and the truth behind everything is revealed, at least what needs to be revealed for this season. Oh special mention need to be placed on Rei for basically redeeming her character after being such a mega bitch for most of the season. Another tip top episode in a series of them, this arc comes with the highest of recommendations. I do wish it was going to last but we have to go back to formula for a measure of time.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 36

Yes indeed we are back to the Monster of The Week business and we begin the Kunzite arc and this time the rationale is while the Dark Kingdom has gained a solider in Endiymion it has lost the Silver Crystal to Sailor Moon and needs to find her.....by launching random ass schemes worthy of Jadite. I bet Quen Beryl regrets not listening to him now. Anyway, while it is good that Usagi is been affected by these recent events, mopey Usagi is not particularly compelling to watch. Anyway, this episode was all about setting up the new arc dynamics, it is worth a watch.

Neoxon

Believe me when I say that the true conclusion to Black Lagoon is the Roberta's Blood Trail OVA. It's intense.

Moaradin

Believe me when I say that the true conclusion to Black Lagoon is the Roberta's Blood Trail OVA. It's intense.

Yeah it's great. I can't believe the manga hasn't had any new material since then. All the manga I'm interested in seem to have crazy release schedules..

Neoxon

Yeah it's great. I can't believe the manga hasn't had any new material since then. All the manga I'm interested in seem to have crazy release schedules..
It's the only show where the end of one of its arcs couldn't let me sleep. I believe I went to church the week after.

bigkrev

Jesus, people bashing Avril on the last page. You clearly weren't 14 when Skater Boi was a hit song (also, that song is 12 years old holy shit).

I hope you never play Burnout Dominator, which had Girlfriend in 4 languages. (English, Spanish, Japanese, and Mandarin).

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Thanks to Elite Beat Agents I'm sure I've heard the cover of Skater Boi more than the original.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus, people bashing Avril on the last page. You clearly weren't 14 when Skater Boi was a hit song (also, that song is 12 years old holy shit).

I hope you never play Burnout Dominator, which had Girlfriend in 4 languages. (English, Spanish, Japanese, and Mandarin).

I believe you mean "Sk8er Boi." I'm pretty sure it would have been obnoxious if I had been 14 at the time, too.

I liked Sk8er Boi, yeah it was never that good of a song, but compared to some of the god awful pop drivel that comes out now a days...

It just feels so... weak. At least giving her that bit of purpose makes the arc seem like more than Power-Of-Bala fanservice. We went through what ended up being weeks of trying to learn to like these characters, and they did a good job at making this Highschooler seem like she might actually have a level head, strong enough to do something different within the world's rules. It was kinda nice how passive she was with shooting at Rock and Revy, and with robbing the bank last ep. She wasn't so detached that she appeared frail, and she wasn't so entirely in to it that she seemed insane.

But then we fall back on the "I love my Bodyguard, and without him~" *Throatstab*

I did think it was kinda funny seeing Rock, as a Japanese Native, calling Bullsh*t on her very eastern-framing for her actions.

It just feel like it would have been much more interesting to see how they both lived with the path they chose, rather than an ending that felt like it exist just to be a climax for the season end. Would Ginjo have been able to follow her forever, or could he have eventually snapped, and taken it out on her somehow? Was she born so close to the dark, that she could have shifted to it smoothly forever? Considering even Revy respects Balalaika, could this pair have been a group that could have grown something worthy of standing against her, due to the strength gained from fighting against the loss she brought upon them?

All this, left open due to a fight that still kinda feels it didn't even have to happen.

I liked how they used the bank robbery as a way to make use of police tracking to find Balalaika. She was actually a bit surprised! A bit more of that, and maybe the story would have felt more well-balanced...

I looked at this arc as more of one big "nope" to the trope of a kid leader. When Yukio takes control, things don't actually turn around. She gets beaten and kidnapped, and then the family is pretty much disbanded. The one thing she does right with the robbery doesn't really affect anything. Then the cherry on top is that her reasoning for all of this is bullshit.

Sk8er Boy and Complicated were and still are awesome. If you didn't like those as a kid you probably didn't get outside much, those songs are the first things that come to my mind when I think of going to the pool with my friends during the summer of '02 (I was 12). I remember girls would wear ties to school in the fall to show how 'punk' they were too which was dumb then and hilarious now considering Avril was about as pop as it got.

Like the new avatar, Gucci. Where'd you find that?

Thanks! I got it from the Space Dandy subreddit.

I liked the Sk8er Boi stage in Elite Beat Agents.

...man, I miss that series.

If Canvas Curse is getting a spiritual successor on Wii U maybe we can hold out hope

Squalor

People, look at the popular music of 2002
http://www.bobborst.com/popculture/top-100-songs-of-the-year/?year=2002

Skater Boi (I REFUSE to use an 8, that is the dumbest thing ever) was above average for it's time. Of the top 10 that year, I would listen to "A Thousand Miles" today, and i'd totally ironically enjoy In the End if it was set to some Dragonball Z footage or something
"U Got It Bad" and "Hot in Herre" are far superior as far as popular music is concerned.

Do we know what will be replacing Space Dandy, Bleach and Attack on Titan? I'm guessing Kai will be one of them.

Attack on Titan is being replaced by Dragon Ball Z Kai as they are both Funimation shows, but DBZ Kai will be taking over the spot Bleach has (anchor spot at midnight) while probably a new Viz show will take over the 11:30 slot. Nothing is officially announced yet

Jarate

Banned
I was like 11 when Sk8er Boi came out and I knew it was trash.

People loved it, but man, that song was shit and always has been shit

Ya'll had trash tastes when you were kids

Avril Lavigne is one of the my guilty pleasures when high, they use a vocal effect on her voice that's just orgasmic when im stoned out of my ass. Thats pretty much the only way I can listen to her

"U Got It Bad" and "Hot in Herre" are far superior as far as popular music is concerned.

He said Sk8er Boi was above average for its time, not the best. The song is far from terrible for the time considering the other manufactured garbage that was being force fed to us on MTV.

And if we're talking commercial performance, Sk8er Boi was superior to both 'U Got It Bad' and 'Hot in Herre'

But yeah, I'll take Usher and Nelly over Avril any day.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Maybe they'll add Kenichi in celebration of the manga ending out of nowhere.
I could see that working as a 2:30 or 3 AM show, especially considering there's a decent amount of episodes. I remember seeing it in high school & thought for the most part it was pretty decent. Not one that I have a strong desire to rewatch again, but as a group, I wouldn't mind.

Moaradin

I've been reading the Berserk manga lately and it's fucking incredible. Anyone here see the anime and know if it's any good? Thinking about checking it out.

Totally off-topic I know, but such is the norm for this thread on a weekday.

Gorillaz

So I mentioned awhile back that I have dandy in love as my wake up ringtone

After that episode of dandy every time it goes off I think of how they missed each other at the bar....then I think back to to how I fucked up opportunities like that with other chicks....

I might have to change the ringtone.

im not changing it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom