• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep14| This is our Final Dandy, baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh I forgot that the OVA leaves out a ton of stuff and there are some interesting wrinkles there.

Ah, so they don't adapt all of it? That's crazy, that the two are different enough for us to get entirely different views of what happened.

Articalys

Is this the first time a giant skinless woman has made so many people catch feels?
Fun fact: in the official Attack on Titan guidebook, every character has power-level sort of statistics for things like battle skill and strategic thinking (though Isayama has said they're not meant to be taken seriously). The more relevant point is that everyone also has at least one unique rating that's not the usual kind of thing you'd find on lists like that, some distinctive feature of theirs, set to 10/10. It can vary from being straightforward (Eren has "Passion", Reiner has "Camaraderie") to silly (Sasha has "Appetite", Levi has "Cleanliness").

tl;dr
The Female Titan is listed as having a "Sexy" rating of 10/10.

I know I'm late to the game, but I finally got a chance to watch the end of Black Lagoon tonight...

...jeez, I had to remember to breathe at points. That was a hell of a ride.

Like Seda, I'm gonna try and wait to watch the OVA, but that's gonna be a tough wait.

Obviously this doesn't confirm or deny anything just like the guy saying they'd like to have KLK on Toonami a few months ago. I think it's obvious that all for major dubbing companies (Viz, Funimation, Aniplex, and Sentai) would love for their shows to air on the block as a way for more people to get experienced to them and purchase their limited edition blu ray/dvd box sets. With so many spots opening up this fall I wouldn't be surprised if something from Sentai slips into the block

Moaradin

Only recent Sentai show I wouldn't mind seeing on Toonami is Log Horizon, but even then the dub probably won't be any good.

If only the first half of Majestic Prince wasn't such a snooze fest I'd want to see that on the block. Second half has some of the best mech action in any non Gundam Build Fighters mech anime in the past 5 years

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I don't think it's predictable at all; making her a badass yakuza boss is a way more typical route to take. I agree that the shift in her reasoning was abrupt, though.

Eh, it's pretty typical of darker shows to trample over anything weaker/unfitting, in order to bolster the perception of how oppressive and overwhelming the darkness is. It would have been typical if she became a youth with power, with no reasonable backing as to WHY she had power, surely. But the fact that they had solid reasons as to why this one might be an outlier, was the more unique aspect, to me.

It also doesn't help that a very similar things happened with Bala in the twins Arc. New opponent is proven more than competent, presenting the idea that this MIGHT even be a leveled battle. Yet we end up with her coming out of the arc with some Light Yagami-level power play that lets her escape unscathed, with even the unpredictable random occurrences perfectly working in her favor.

... Speaking about witty Light Yagami style power plays makes me think of Shikamaru's theme from Naruto. I normally love characters who evoke this kind of feeling, because they constantly have to put themselves on the line in order to achieve such control. Maybe Bala has paid so much with those scars all over her body, that she never has to personally sacrifice anything in order to get things working, haha.

This is kinda silly, but learning Crispin Freeman voices Alucard makes me significantly more excited for it.

I totally understand this, actually. His involvement is probably the only thing that really makes me look forward to seeing this Fake non-SotN Alucard. Crispin has a great way of ALWAYS sounding boisterous and epic in nearly every role, yet it's never to the point of being overly-hammy... even if it should be.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Huh, very little random luck in the twins arc at all; her team's orders were to specifically funnel the kid(s) into the park. Having an easy contingency plan if one were to escape was no problem either.

You want to see Light Yagami shit then
stick around for the OVA. Rock has prep time and he's not afraid to use it, also gambles on half a dozen seemingly random events going his way.

Raxus

I'd like to take a minute say how brilliant GBF is. It is all the fan service in Gundam series with almost none of the drama!

...Bring Gundam Build Fighters to Toonami.

Eh, it's pretty typical of darker shows to trample over anything weaker/unfitting, in order to bolster the perception of how oppressive and overwhelming the darkness is. It would have been typical if she became a youth with power, with no reasonable backing as to WHY she had power, surely. But the fact that they had solid reasons as to why this one might be an outlier, was the more unique aspect, to me.

It also doesn't help that a very similar things happened with Bala in the twins Arc. New opponent is proven more than competent, presenting the idea that this MIGHT even be a leveled battle. Yet we end up with her coming out of the arc with some Light Yagami-level power play that lets her escape unscathed, with even the unpredictable random occurrences perfectly working in her favor.

... Speaking about witty Light Yagami style power plays makes me think of Shikamaru's theme from Naruto. I normally love characters who evoke this kind of feeling, because they constantly have to put themselves on the line in order to achieve such control. Maybe Bala has paid so much with those scars all over her body, that she never has to personally sacrifice anything in order to get things working, haha.]

but she didn't have any real reason as to why she would be an effective yakuza boss. and in a show that has a large cast of scary women and seemed to be heading in the direction toward portraying her as another one of those, there's really just no way that it's more typical to squash her hopes and dreams and have her kill herself. i think it's disingenuous to reduce this to "dark show does dark thing!"; that ignores pretty much all of the context and isn't really a fair comparison at all since i can similarly reduce her intended character arc to "overcomes hardship"

i also don't think it's really all that similar to the twins arc considering the big difference in character focus.

Soulflarz

Banned
She's fiery, sort of insane, and has reddish hair...
Meehh

WAIT NO ONE TOLD ME FALL OUT BOYS NEW SINGLE IS OUT
<3333333
*spaz*
*is a fanboy*

Thank God though. The blackhawks needed a new theme for this year besides My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pretty sure everyone besides Dutch is in Gundam Seed Destiny. Almost all of Inuyasha's VA's as well.

Naraku was also a random South American mobster in Roberta's Blood Trail.

Regiruler

Might try going to the evening mass as opposed to my regular plan of just going to the 10 am.
God knows staying up until that late will fuck up my sleep patterns regardless.

LOLDSFAN

Might try going to the evening mass as opposed to my regular plan of just going to the 10 am.
God knows staying up until that late will fuck up my sleep patterns regardless.

Yeah the last service starts at 11:30am where I go and now that I also work on Sundays, I won't have time for a nap. So I'll definitely have to record it.

BxB-194CMAAFIga.jpg

Leo is a One Piece fan.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Huh, very little random luck in the twins arc at all; her team's orders were to specifically funnel the kid(s) into the park. Having an easy contingency plan if one were to escape was no problem either.

You want to see Light Yagami shit then
stick around for the OVA. Rock has prep time and he's not afraid to use it, also gambles on half a dozen seemingly random events going his way.

To be clear, I wasn't saying it was all a series of "happy accidents", it's just one of the bonus details I usually like in set-ups like that. I just didn't get any of that in the arc. The conclusion felt a bit more quickly received than the build up would have lead me to expect... which worked at the time, really. But watching super-strong threats brought down by similar solutions born out of being so strong that no opponent is really imposing, just got a slight bit stale. By the time she walked out amidst the cops after killing a room filled with men, I'm less cheering for the master planer to have things work, and more cheering for her to get bitten in the butt by the same chaos that consumes all the lesser characters, at least to some degree.

What you mention with Rock might work better for me, just because of shared English VA with the ultimate Omni-Planner.

but she didn't have any real reason as to why she would be an effective yakuza boss. and in a show that has a large cast of scary women and seemed to be heading in the direction toward portraying her as another one of those, there's really just no way that it's more typical to squash her hopes and dreams and have her kill herself. i think it's disingenuous to reduce this to "dark show does dark thing!"; that ignores pretty much all of the context and isn't really a fair comparison at all since i can similarly reduce her intended character arc to "overcomes hardship"

i also don't think it's really all that similar to the twins arc considering the big difference in character focus.

At least she'd have been a different flavor than Eda, Chinglish, Revy, Roberta, and Bala. The refreshing part of Yukio and Ginji is that she was much more prepared for what came, mentally, than most characters in her position, and he was the perfect muscle to give her a chance to survive. We keep getting all these peaks at Roberta or Revys back story, and about how that messed them up, and made them who they are... would have been cool to see this first hand, rather than constantly getting assure "oh, yeah, it was ROUGH!" (This very well could happen later in the series, I'm not sure.)

I'm not so interested in her or Ginjo just being a plain Yakuza leader also, but at least living on to be a reminder of Bala possibly even stepping beyond her power, and getting backstabbed some day. The idea that Bala was able to suppress 2 powerful generations-old Yakuza families on their home turf, and then escape with no successful retaliation from ANYONE, was really goofy to me.

I see nothing disingenuous about these thoughts, and for the sake of this discussion, I don't think I'm ignoring the complexities or nuance. I've already discussed how I think it works well in the overall narrative. I've even stated how I think the manga does a good job giving a deeper meaning to how things ultimately panned out. But in gritty shows like this, it's not uncommon for side characters, or characters with some degree of hope in them, to die, and to never be able to challenge the big players. It's what's EXPECTED in a work like this, even.

Did anyone watching in here see that she was going to become the new boss, and think "Well, I think she'll make it out alive! Balalaika's gonna get OWNED!"? I think everyone either thought "She's going to die" or "she won't be able to put up with it, and will follow with 'noble suicide' in a way similar to her father's last desperate attempt". It leaves me feeling like the bowling alley and Rev X Gin team-up were fillers to an expected end.

Of course, maybe I'm spoiled by something like Korean Drama. Death is inevitable for pretty much EVERYONE in many of their action shows, but there's this overarching theme that if a person pushes with everything at a situation, that their struggles and ideas will spill over into a descendent, or a person they inspired. Karma is potentially fatal, and will make sure that no one gets away with acting out of place for too long, no matter how many resources they have. And this doesn't favor the good guys, or the bad; it's just a constant that all sides must answer to. The way they constantly assure that everything has a purpose, just feels more real, and better written, to me.

Much like Cashy Sins, I just expected a bit more of a payoff than I got.. The shows are overall good enough to make me feel pretty safe with expecting more, so when the conclusion feels like something that could happen in anything of the type, it's just a bit of a letdown.

It was nice to see that Revy got hurt pretty badly though. It was certainly better than the "Sword stops millimeters from her neck!" trope, and ever her little speech to Ginjo as he died was better than one would have expected from her back in the beginning of the tale.

But let's not even talk about the lack of Benny and Dutch doing anything significant. I loved how they were big "costars" early on, but they both became codec-convo fodder in the end. And then we end the show with Revy and Eda, probably the character I like the least in the show, in an overall pointless conversation that didn't really seem to add much.

Heck, even though I've seen it before, I think last weeks AoT left a better lasting impression on me than this Season Finale of BL. I wouldn't have expected that to be possible before it all started...

Gorillaz

To be clear, I wasn't saying it was all a series of "happy accidents", it's just one of the bonus details I usually like in set-ups like that. I just didn't get any of that in the arc. The conclusion felt a bit more quickly received than the build up would have lead me to expect... which worked at the time, really. But watching super-strong threats brought down by similar solutions born out of being so strong that no opponent is really imposing, just got a slight bit stale. By the time she walked out amidst the cops after killing a room filled with men, I'm less cheering for the master planer to have things work, and more cheering for her to get bitten in the butt by the same chaos that consumes all the lesser characters, at least to some degree.

What you mention with Rock might work better for me, just because of shared English VA with the ultimate Omni-Planner.
Balalaika and Hotel Moscow are a special case because they dont run the same way like most mafias. They are militarized. They think act and move like a military unit, and because of this it would be hard for most mafias to top her. It would take either a mafia with more resources then her, probably another Russian Mafia with some serious clout or a military unit. It is a little hammy when she walked out passed the officers but I'll add that to the tally of Rei Hiroe and his military fetish.

At least she'd have been a different flavor than Eda, Chinglish, Revy, Roberta, and Bala. The refreshing part of Yukio and Ginji is that she was much more prepared for what came, mentally, than most characters in her position, and he was the perfect muscle to give her a chance to survive. We keep getting all these peaks at Roberta or Revys back story, and about how that messed them up, and made them who they are... would have been cool to see this first hand, rather than constantly getting assure "oh, yeah, it was ROUGH!" (This very well could happen later in the series, I'm not sure.)

I'm not so interested in her or Ginjo just being a plain Yakuza leader also, but at least living on to be a reminder of Bala possibly even stepping beyond her power, and getting backstabbed some day. The idea that Bala was able to suppress 2 powerful generations-old Yakuza families on their home turf, and then escape with no successful retaliation from ANYONE, was really goofy to me.

I see nothing disingenuous about these thoughts, and for the sake of this discussion, I don't think I'm ignoring the complexities or nuance. I've already discussed how I think it works well in the overall narrative. I've even stated how I think the manga does a good job giving a deeper meaning to how things ultimately panned out. But in gritty shows like this, it's not uncommon for side characters, or characters with some degree of hope in them, to die, and to never be able to challenge the big players. It's what's EXPECTED in a work like this, even.

Did anyone watching in here see that she was going to become the new boss, and think "Well, I think she'll make it out alive! Balalaika's gonna get OWNED!"? I think everyone either thought "She's going to die" or "she won't be able to put up with it, and will follow with 'noble suicide' in a way similar to her father's last desperate attempt". It leaves me feeling like the bowling alley and Rev X Gin team-up were fillers to an expected end.

Of course, maybe I'm spoiled by something like Korean Drama. Death is inevitable for pretty much EVERYONE in many of their action shows, but there's this overarching theme that if a person pushes with everything at a situation, that their struggles and ideas will spill over into a descendent, or a person they inspired. Karma is potentially fatal, and will make sure that no one gets away with acting out of place for too long, no matter how many resources they have. And this doesn't favor the good guys, or the bad; it's just a constant that all sides must answer to. The way they constantly assure that everything has a purpose, just feels more real, and better written, to me.

Much like Cashy Sins, I just expected a bit more of a payoff than I got.. The shows are overall good enough to make me feel pretty safe with expecting more, so when the conclusion feels like something that could happen in anything of the type, it's just a bit of a letdown.

It was nice to see that Revy got hurt pretty badly though. It was certainly better than the "Sword stops millimeters from her neck!" trope, and ever her little speech to Ginjo as he died was better than one would have expected from her back in the beginning of the tale.

But let's not even talk about the lack of Benny and Dutch doing anything significant. I loved how they were big "costars" early on, but they both became codec-convo fodder in the end. And then we end the show with Revy and Eda, probably the character I like the least in the show, in an overall pointless conversation that didn't really seem to add much.

Heck, even though I've seen it before, I think last weeks AoT left a better lasting impression on me than this Season Finale of BL. I wouldn't have expected that to be possible before it all started...
The Ballard of Ginji and Yukio as stated before is more of a death to old tradition of looking at things black and white and believing in honor in a new world that is more...'grey'. There is no way that a wounded yakuza gang, filled with older dudes was going to be able to give Hotel Moscow a chance. Even the douche bag that abused her and took her to the alley realized there was no point in going head to head with HM and were willing to see if they could get in her good graces..and even worse. It was basically a lesson of not everyone is built for it. Revy knew she wasn't, Rock knew she wasn't, Ginji DEFINITELY knew, which is why he basically said fuck it and made his last sword fight something enjoyable. Everyone basically got the picture expect her.

Ironically enough they do serve as a parallel to Rock/Revy, and it would have been interesting if Revy got fucked up in the end how would Rock have reacted?

The arc also served as a reflection of the 2 worlds of Roanpour and everything else. Kind of like what Rock mentioned in the Jane arc at the start of the 2nd(?) episode. The city is basically the last stop to the pit of hell. Like something straight out of Sin City.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
No, Yukio definitely knew. There were some serious Bonny and Clyde moments with her and Ginji in the episodes leading up to the end. The bank robbing moment especially. Stuff like that doesn't just get thrown in. She was already resigned to death, she was smart enough to know a way to outwit Balalaika but thought that Ginji alone could beat her and the Vizitoniki? No way. She wanted to die. She wanted to go out with Ginji in a hail of gunfire because in her mind, in her rigid way of thinking, that was the only way it could end. Everything else was just a dream. That's why she didn't take the out Rock gave her.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Balalaika and Hotel Moscow are a special case because they dont run the same way like most mafias. They are militarized. They think act and move like a military unit, and because of this it would be hard for most mafias to top her. It would take either a mafia with more resources then her, probably another Russian Mafia with some serious clout or a military unit. It is a little hammy when she walked out passed the officers but I'll add that to the tally of Rei Hiroe and his military fetish.

It's a cool point, and I mostly like it, but... I guess Cowboy Bebop is a nice parallel in a way. Spike had no reason why he should really have been able to reach Vicious at the top floor, or why he should have survive the first attempt on his life in the bad. But his relationship with Shin / Len gave him unlikely help, that helped him meet his goal.

SOMETHING about this family's ties should have kicked in, and gotten some kind of victory over military planning. Most stories like to make that distinction. The closest we got was the meeting at ep's beginning, with the utterly silly "Can I see your gun? AND YOU BULLETS?" situation...

The Ballard of Ginji and Yukio as stated before is more of a death to old tradition of looking at things black and white and believing in honor in a new world that is more...'grey'.

This looked cooler in Manga, lol. Having a real old fashioned "Samurai" couple VS 2 people that looked totally modern made me doubletake. I had to question if I was seeing the right fight scene...

There is no way that a wounded yakuza gang, filled with older dudes was going to be able to give Hotel Moscow a chance. Even the douche bag that abused her and took her to the alley realized there was no point in going head to head with HM and were willing to see if they could get in her good graces..and even worse. It was basically a lesson of not everyone is built for it. Revy knew she wasn't, Rock knew she wasn't, Ginji DEFINITELY knew, which is why he basically said fuck it and made his last sword fight something enjoyable. Everyone basically got the picture expect her.

I guess this is a bit different take than the usual "Retainer takes the arrow for his lord, while his lord is doing something that NOONE believes in, because LOYALTY!" situation. Which isn't lost on me, but it just didn't feel as fleshed out. Maybe because I've seen it done so much better in like... every Warriors game, haha. Not AGAIN, Dian Wei...

Ironically enough they do serve as a parallel to Rock/Revy, and it would have been interesting if Revy got fucked up in the end how would Rock have reacted?

I guess her getting run through the leg was a nice way to hint towards that. I am really glad she got a REAL wound, rather than the normal shoulder / side cut. That's one of the few things of this situation that felt 100% BL.

Is Rock at the point where he'd commit Suicide (with a killshot to the same place as Revy's) if she were to die? I'd... possibly have issues with that too, lol. I think he'd be messed up, but I don't think he'd kill himself over it... at least not directly.

The arc also served as a reflection of the 2 worlds of Roanpour and everything else. Kind of like what Rock mentioned in the Jane arc at the start of the 2nd(?) episode. The city is basically the last stop to the pit of hell. Like something straight out of Sin City.

I wonder if I'm desensitized in the fact that Roanpour doesn't feel any worse to me than your normal use of Kowloon or ancient Kyoto in Asian literature... or downtown New York in Western stories. Or Hong Kong Nightlife in Sleeping Dogs. I'm not sure why that is. They surely have tried hard to make it appear as the lowest rung of hell... maybe it's because I haven't seen as much pure corruption of "good". Ripoff church would kinda count, but that felt more hammy than, say... politicians that are found rotten to the core, but put on a solid act otherwise.

No, Yukio definitely knew. There were some serious Bonny and Clyde moments with her and Ginji in the episodes leading up to the end. The bank robbing moment especially. Stuff like that doesn't just get thrown in. She was already resigned to death, she was smart enough to know a way to outwit Balalaika but thought that Ginji alone could beat her and the Vizitoniki? No way. She wanted to die. She wanted to go out with Ginji in a hail of gunfire because in her mind, in her rigid way of thinking, that was the only way it could end. Everything else was just a dream. That's why she didn't take the out Rock gave her.

I do have to say, I do like this aspect of it. Robbing a Bank and remarking at how fun it was, picking a Magsec burst-fire pistol as the only gun you'd ever really shoot, and wearing really ceremonial clothes in the Manga, to have one last epic battle... it seems like she was planning the perfect death for her and Ginji.

I'd be a bit more sold on this if she said "lets avenge everyone!" rather than "lets go to Roanpour!", though. That seemed a bit more to the side of "I think I can live this life!" rather than "I wanna go out in a Blaze of Glory, fighting for my fallen clansmen!!" Would have loved to have seen how THAT would have turned out.

Gorillaz

I guess I can say she 'knew' but she took at face value. Not realizing just how deep she was in. It was the lost of Ginji that when it really hit her "damn....this ain't for me"
It's a cool point, and I mostly like it, but... I guess Cowboy Bebop is a nice parallel in a way. Spike had no reason why he should really have been able to reach Vicious at the top floor, or why he should have survive the first attempt on his life in the bad. But his relationship with Shin / Len gave him unlikely help, that helped him meet his goal.

SOMETHING about this family's ties should have kicked in, and gotten some kind of victory over military planning. Most stories like to make that distinction. The closest we got was the meeting at ep's beginning, with the utterly silly "Can I see your gun? AND YOU BULLETS?" situation...

This looked cooler in Manga, lol. Having a real old fashioned "Samurai" couple VS 2 people that looked totally modern made me doubletake. I had to question if I was seeing the right fight scene...

I guess this is a bit different take than the usual "Retainer takes the arrow for his lord, while his lord is doing something that NOONE believes in, because LOYALTY!" situation. Which isn't lost on me, but it just didn't feel as fleshed out. Maybe because I've seen it done so much better in like... every Warriors game, haha. Not AGAIN, Dian Wei...

I guess her getting run through the leg was a nice way to hint towards that. I am really glad she got a REAL wound, rather than the normal shoulder / side cut. That's one of the few things of this situation that felt 100% BL.

Is Rock at the point where he'd commit Suicide (with a killshot to the same place as Revy's) if she were to die? I'd... possibly have issues with that too, lol. I think he'd be messed up, but I don't think he'd kill himself over it... at least not directly.

I wonder if I'm desensitized in the fact that Roanpour doesn't feel any worse to me than your normal use of Kowloon or ancient Kyoto in Asian literature... or downtown New York in Western stories. Or Hong Kong Nightlife in Sleeping Dogs. I'm not sure why that is. They surely have tried hard to make it appear as the lowest rung of hell... maybe it's because I haven't seen as much pure corruption of "good". Ripoff church would kinda count, but that felt more hammy than, say... politicians that are found rotten to the core, but put on a solid act otherwise.

I do have to say, I do like this aspect of it. Robbing a Bank and remarking at how fun it was, picking a Magsec burst-fire pistol as the only gun you'd ever really shoot, and wearing really ceremonial clothes in the Manga, to have one last epic battle... it seems like she was planning the perfect death for her and Ginji.

I'd be a bit more sold on this if she said "lets avenge everyone!" rather than "lets go to Roanpour!", though. That seemed a bit more to the side of "I think I can live this life!" rather than "I wanna go out in a Blaze of Glory, fighting for my fallen clansmen!!" Would have loved to have seen how THAT would have turned out.

Yea the whole thing honestly is a sad story. They were already having issues with their own territory and the last thing they needed was the help that they called in to be the ones that actually put the final nail in the coffin of that family. Got a chick that is what? 16 ? 17? to run the show for a mafia and even she was in over her head. I just really think it was a tale of them hoping that others would take the same honor and pride that they believed in and actuality nobody gave a shit and pretty much took advantage of the Washmine family's downfall.

Yukio at least gave Bala a nice little return "attack" with the bonny and clyde setup and van tagging. Unfortunately that alone isn't enough grounds to think you can start our new clan up in the same city that the enemy basically resides in.

Squalor

I need to watch this again. I think I saw a few episodes when they aired it but they pulled it. I eventually got the DVDs.
I wouldn't mind a Blu-ray remaster. It would be beautiful. But I know that's never going to happen.

Brace yourself for a typically unsatisfying ending, though.

What we got with Yukio turning out the way she did is far more different from the other women than what you're suggesting she should've been. And I have no idea how Lone Super Bullet-Cutting Sword Man slicing through Hotel Moscow is supposed to be any less goofy.

"I expected the gritty show to do the gritty thing and it did the gritty thing!' is a bizarre criticism. That's not a weakness in the writing, that's tonal consistency, and comparing it unfavorably to something that's equally as common, probably even more so, doesn't make sense. Especially when Black Lagoon hasn't exactly made it a point to kill off every single relevant character it's introduced. If the show was dropping bodies left and right to the point where it has no impact, sure. But you're basically saying that the show isn't allowed to kill off a character like this because it's a dark show.

As far as what the audience expected goes, I could ask the same question about if people thought she was just going to commit suicide on a pier after five episodes when she showed that she could potentially outwit Balalaika and displayed some kind of resolve after the bowling alley.

Considering how nihilism is touched upon pretty frequently, I don't see how "everything has a purpose" would feel anything but extremely out of place within this show and completely inconsistent with pretty much everything.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I guess I can say she 'knew' but she took at face value. Not realizing just how deep she was in. It was the lost of Ginji that when it really hit her "damn....this ain't for me"

She was in a bubble. She thought she had thrown her dice and that was it, she was going to play out her choice to then end but Ginji dying shook her enough to realize that Rock had given her another throw and his death could have been avoided. She was too stuck in an old way of thinking to see her own options clearly. Shit, it was Ginji's realization that she saw no real future for them that won Revvy that fight.

Cwarrior

Rock takes an unexpected change in direction as a result of that is what I meant. He was supposed to sack up there, probably not as much as he did though. Rock's development took a huge leap there and that changed the direction of the manga.

Rock character development is complete joke it's an even bigger of joke in the manga where the green back jan arc happens after the roberta blood trails arc were rock is becomes a yagami light ripoff but reverts to a balls less dufus.

Rock is a poorly written character from top to bottom, his the generic japanese white shirt wearing everyday guy the japanese viewer is meant to relat to.

His has no strong characteristics or quirks,the mangaka would change his personality per arc for whatever the arc needs him to be, in one arc his the white colour male adult(first arc & submarine arc) in another his an incompentent dufus in another his an over preachy animu character who spouts & screams his incredibly retarded animu ideals in the form of the most dumbest talk no jutsu the world has ever heard(tokyo arc) in another his yagami light over the top geinus master planner (blood trail) then back to a incompentent dofus(green back jenny).

Overall my opinon of black lagoon is that it's a decent anime that has good set up episode(first two episode each arc) but has a dispointing of a wimper of a finish majorty of time each arc.

black lagoon S1 score of 6.5/10
black lagoon second barrage 4/10

The best arc are the submarine arc, roberta entrance arc & roberta blood trail, the first 3 episode of roberta blood trail are amazing the best thing to come out of black lagoon, the last two are the usual black lagoon dissapointing dumb wimper closer(
super silly american soilders with forgiving hearts of gold
).

The tokyo arc is fucking god awful no joke when I first watched it, it made me phsycally ill I felt like throwing up, probably the worst arc I've watched in my life.

I haven't seen all of it but Hellsing Ultimate is much better show then black lagoon, get ready to get your evil grins ready toonamigaf.

Early numbers, will post the full grid when I get it

timthumb.php

SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 6TH, 2014

11:00 Family Guy 1,570,000
11:30 Attack on Titan 1,378,000
12:00 Bleach 1,155,000
12:30 Space Dandy 919,000
1:00 Shippuden 900,000
1:30 One Piece 760,000

Saturday night&#8217;s presentations of Bleach (12 a.m.) and Space Dandy (12:30 a.m.) both ranked #1 in their time periods among adults 18-24 and men 18-24. Additionally, Naruto: Shippuden (1 a.m.) ranked #1 in its time period among adults 18-24/18-34 and men 18-24, while One Piece (1:30 a.m.) ranked #1 in its timeslot among adults 18-24/18-34 and men 18-24/18-34. Gurren Lagann (2 a.m.) ranked #1 in its time period among adults 18-34 and men 18-24, while Black Lagoon (3 a.m.) ranked #1 in its timeslot among adults 18-34/18-49 and all targeted men.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
What we got with Yukio turning out the way she did is far more different from the other women than what you're suggesting she should've been. And I have no idea how Lone Super Bullet-Cutting Sword Man slicing through Hotel Moscow is supposed to be any less goofy.

The fact she's dead is very different, yeah. But seeing a WIP version of what we've seen end-game versions of all show would have been more interesting to me.

And I never said he should have taken the fight directly to them and come through it. I think they could have gone into hiding after doing *something* memorable, and then have been an uneasy point to a character that appears to have few obvious weaknesses. For an arc that just made them look so powerful, it would have been a nice way to balance out the ridiculous superiority they showed, is all.

"I expected the gritty show to do the gritty thing and it did the gritty thing!' is a bizarre criticism. That's not a weakness in the writing, that's tonal consistency, and comparing it unfavorably to something that's equally as common, probably even more so, doesn't make sense. Especially when Black Lagoon hasn't exactly made it a point to kill off every single relevant character it's introduced. If the show was dropping bodies left and right to the point where it has no impact, sure. But you're basically saying that the show isn't allowed to kill off a character like this because it's a dark show.

Not really. I think most of us are a bit underwhelmed by this season finale, compared to all the excitement we had watching the show. There's obviously something missing that kept it from a higher status. I've just explained my POV on it.

I don't see how "well written and explained surprise challenger" is as common as "old world samurai commits suicide". The main failure of powerful youths is that they are given golden child instant-win status without any rhyme or reason.

I don't like the death here, because the bread crumbs dropped along the way suggested something more interesting to look forward to, to me. I dunno what else I can say... it was just underwhelming.

As far as what the audience expected goes, I could ask the same question about if people thought she was just going to commit suicide on a pier after five episodes when she showed that she could potentially outwit Balalaika and displayed some kind of resolve after the bowling alley.

Yeah, and we both agreed that her sudden change in reason to fight was kind of sudden, right? While it wasn't unwarranted (Ginji's death was a good reason), the fact it came out of a fight that didn't even have to really happen does taint the situation some.

Considering how nihilism is touched upon pretty frequently, I don't see how "everything has a purpose" would feel anything but extremely out of place within this show and completely inconsistent with pretty much everything.

I think you're looking at the idea too... positively? I don't think "what goes around... comes around" is too much to ask for. To me, it just makes a world seem more full, and like there's more than the tale of the main characters going on. Instead of giving a show hero-worship style tunnel vision, it makes the actions of each character meaningful.

I loved how the show started off with this feel that everyone involved was a power player. Rock became useful way faster than usual, Dutch wasn't a blatant stereotype of power-without-brains, even Benny had guts, and proved he could hang with the group. Revy started off as just boorish and offensive to the most ridiculous degree, just a cesspool of overt vulgarity and violence. But even she developed some human elements, and she overcame the expectation of being always at ends with Rock for all eternity.

It was full of characterization that felt like it stepped beyond the expected, and really tried to make Lagoon Company a fully-developed entity. It wasn't just "Revy and a winy guy + some other people", and it managed to avoid devolving into that.

By the end, I don't think it maintained this strength. It spent too much time making people seem big and important, and shifting bit-players into the usual background. This is probably PERFECTLY FINE for the ongoing series, as it'll be remembered as a time that developed Rock and Revy's relationship even more, and let Rock make peace with his past self.

But for a season end? It dropped a lot of the strengths that made me like the show, and I feel like the world stopped development beyond "Roanpour is HELL!"

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Early numbers, will post the full grid when I get it

SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 6TH, 2014

11:00 Family Guy 1,570,000
11:30 Attack on Titan 1,378,000
12:00 Bleach 1,155,000
12:30 Space Dandy 919,000
1:00 Shippuden 900,000
1:30 One Piece 760,000

That drop from Shippuden to One Piece is disturbing and distressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom