• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep14| This is our Final Dandy, baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not at all comfortable with the Shippuden -> One Piece ratings. It means people are conscientiously watching Shippuden while also making the decision to not watch One Piece.

bigkrev

Man, I still remember when people were celebrating the 10th anniversary. It just goes to show you the impact it's left on people after all these years.

......to think Final Fantasy 8 is THAT old.

oh & the Dreamcast as well.

The greatest system and the best Final Fantasy on the same day.

Crazy

Seda

I've said this many times before, but FFVIII is only fun when you go out of your way to break it, which is easy to do. That's most of the enjoyment for me, as it allows itself for that more than most other games.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ahhh, Dreamcast. I like how my first DC died because of playing Bangai-O. Some kinda spark happened between the system and controller, and all the ports on it just DIED.

It's the Sony of those days that still makes me not like them as much now. PS+ and stuff should have erased the memories, but their disdain for 2D games, and their silly superiority act while DC was much Superi- *ahem* I just loved the games on DC so much more.

The greatest system and the best Final Fantasy on the same day.

Crazy

It's not a popular opinion maybe, but I really didn't enjoy 8 at first. After going through 7 with jerky Cloud and losing Aerith, watching Squall act like a tool and dissing Quistis just made me not care, haha. I got over most of that, and made it about halfway into the game, but it always kinda sat in an unfinished state...

I also liked Laguna SO much more. He felt more like a character that would fit into FF6, which still has one of my favorite FF cast. Square's attempt to westernize the series with dirty mouth Barett and Cid really didn't feel very JRPG to me at the time, either, and 8 still kinda acted like it wanted to go along that path (which it ultimately didn't, and no other FF has seemed to embrace such writing either).

One of my friends played 8 harder than he really ever played the series at that point, so I got a lot of play-by-play of it too...

LOLDSFAN

Liking dem Shippuden numbers.

tumblr_mkfk295KD81r9uuuso1_500.gif

There has always been a big drop from whatever was before it to One Piece

One Piece was straight up beat out by Blue Exorcist 36% of the time during its run. The scary thing is that percentage could have been a lot higher, but One Piece squeaked by with 10-30K more viewers (an insignificant amount) many weeks. Really, Blue Exorcist helped prop up One Piece ratings when you would think the opposite would be true. We can debate the quality of the show until we're blue in the face
no pun intended
but there's no denying that BE had high viewer retention and that OP benefited from this. But yeah, OP generally drops like a rock no matter what is in front of it for a variety of reasons.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ahhh, Dreamcast. I like how my first DC died because of playing Bangai-O. Some kinda spark happened between the system and controller, and all the ports on it just DIED.
Holy crap, I've wanted Bangai-O for so long. The DS game was...okay, though I liked the XBLA version. But I still want to play the original, if not for the fact it had an actual story instead of just feeling like a giant level pack.

I can't remember the exact year, but I remember my friend was selling his Dreamcast with Sonic Adventure 2 (....& The Grinch) so I was doing my best to save money for it, but then a month-ish later, he said he sold it. Few months later, turned out he sold it to my parents to give it to me for Xmas.

I remember it took me about 4 attempts to get a working copy of Sonic Adventure because each copy that was sent (& took about 2 weeks to get) wouldn't work because the disc was defective.

Only other games I have for it are Shenmue that I got for about $15 & Evolution 2 because I played the GCN port as a kid.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Holy crap, I've wanted Bangai-O for so long. The DS game was...okay, though I liked the XBLA version. But I still want to play the original, if not for the fact it had an actual story instead of just feeling like a giant level pack.

I really loved it in all it's Treasure glory, even if killing my system made me a bit gun-shy about playing it again.

Come to think of it, I think Bangai-O might be the reason I dislike Geometry Wars so much... give me a ship that small, and I want MACROSS MISSLES AND EXPLOSIONS. Anything less and I'm out, hehe.

I can't remember the exact year, but I remember my friend was selling his Dreamcast with Sonic Adventure 2 (....& The Grinch) so I was doing my best to save money for it, but then a month-ish later, he said he sold it. Few months later, turned out he sold it to my parents to give it to me for Xmas.

It is statistically impossible for things like this to happen with Sony made products. Only the power of Dreamcast can make such touching stories! ;-)

I remember it took me about 4 attempts to get a working copy of Sonic Adventure because each copy that was sent (& took about 2 weeks to get) wouldn't work because the disc was defective.

Only other games I have for it are Shenmue that I got for about $15 & Evolution 2 because I played the GCN port as a kid.

My Stupidity With Sonic story is that I was stuck on the BioLizard in SA2's final fight with Shadow for HOURS, trying to time homing-lock along the bubbles in order to hit his central jewel...

... Then eventually I found out you were suppose to grind along his tail, to reach the jewel and hit him. ...... I beat him in about 4 minutes after that.... I don't think I've ever been so ignorant of a boss again since then... (like game tutorials would allow this to happen now, anyway)

And I actually loved Evolution. I still think about it's surprise attack music when good things happen sometimes, and any gentleman sniper instantly brings back thoughts of Gre Nade. It and Time Stalkers / Climax Landers are 2 dungeon-crawler-ish games I'd love to take a crack at again, if time / availability would permit...

The fact she's dead is very different, yeah. But seeing a WIP version of what we've seen end-game versions of all show would have been more interesting to me.

And I never said he should have taken the fight directly to them and come through it. I think they could have gone into hiding after doing *something* memorable, and then have been an uneasy point to a character that appears to have few obvious weaknesses. For an arc that just made them look so powerful, it would have been a nice way to balance out the ridiculous superiority they showed, is all.

How have we seen it all show? The first story arc didn't end that way, the Nazi arc sure didn't, Roberta didn't, the guerilla arc didn't but i guess comes closer than any of the others in this list, and Jane's arc didn't. The vampire twins arc is directly related to this one from a character development standpoint.

Not really. I think most of us are a bit underwhelmed by this season finale, compared to all the excitement we had watching the show. There's obviously something missing that kept it from a higher status. I've just explained my POV on it.

I don't see how "well written and explained surprise challenger" is as common as "old world samurai commits suicide". The main failure of powerful youths is that they are given golden child instant-win status without any rhyme or reason.

I don't like the death here, because the bread crumbs dropped along the way suggested something more interesting to look forward to, to me. I dunno what else I can say... it was just underwhelming.

I don't disagree that it was underwhelming, I disagree with this particular line of reasoning about it.

I think I've already made it clear that "well written and explained surprise challenger" completely lacks the "surprise" element (and really it has a ways to go before it gets the "well-explained" label). Hell, isn't your complaint here that you expected it to go in the other direction?

Yeah, and we both agreed that her sudden change in reason to fight was kind of sudden, right? While it wasn't unwarranted (Ginji's death was a good reason), the fact it came out of a fight that didn't even have to really happen does taint the situation some.

I think you're looking at the idea too... positively? I don't think "what goes around... comes around" is too much to ask for. To me, it just makes a world seem more full, and like there's more than the tale of the main characters going on. Instead of giving a show hero-worship style tunnel vision, it makes the actions of each character meaningful.

It's definitely too much to ask for when the lesson of the day has been that life is meaningless. No offense, but I think you're trying to force your own values onto the show rather than judge it for what it is.

I loved how the show started off with this feel that everyone involved was a power player. Rock became useful way faster than usual, Dutch wasn't a blatant stereotype of power-without-brains, even Benny had guts, and proved he could hang with the group. Revy started off as just boorish and offensive to the most ridiculous degree, just a cesspool of overt vulgarity and violence. But even she developed some human elements, and she overcame the expectation of being always at ends with Rock for all eternity.

It was full of characterization that felt like it stepped beyond the expected, and really tried to make Lagoon Company a fully-developed entity. It wasn't just "Revy and a winy guy + some other people", and it managed to avoid devolving into that.

By the end, I don't think it maintained this strength. It spent too much time making people seem big and important, and shifting bit-players into the usual background. This is probably PERFECTLY FINE for the ongoing series, as it'll be remembered as a time that developed Rock and Revy's relationship even more, and let Rock make peace with his past self.

But for a season end? It dropped a lot of the strengths that made me like the show, and I feel like the world stopped development beyond "Roanpour is HELL!"

If we consider this a season finale as opposed to a series finale I don't think it's too much of a problem. A show isn't necessarily required to have a big moment for its entire cast in a season finale, and these more focused affairs aren't exactly uncommon.

Sorry about the ratings delay, Pucci has been making them available in the TVI forums first. Here is the full grid:

timthumb.php

Saturday night’s presentations of Bleach (12 a.m.) and Space Dandy (12:30 a.m.) both ranked #1 in their time periods among adults 18-24 and men 18-24. Additionally, Naruto: Shippuden (1 a.m.) ranked #1 in its time period among adults 18-24/18-34 and men 18-24, while One Piece (1:30 a.m.) ranked #1 in its timeslot among adults 18-24/18-34 and men 18-24/18-34. Gurren Lagann (2 a.m.) ranked #1 in its time period among adults 18-34 and men 18-24, while Black Lagoon (3 a.m.) ranked #1 in its timeslot among adults 18-34/18-49 and all targeted men.

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 6, 2014
TOTAL VIEWERS
11:30PM Attack on Titan 1.378 million viewers
12:00AM Bleach 1.155 million viewers
12:30AM Space Dandy 919,000 viewers
1:00AM Naruto: Shippuden 900,000 viewers
1:30AM One Piece 760,000 viewers
2:00AM Gurren Lagann 657,000 viewers
2:30AM Beware the Batman 550,000 viewers
3:00AM Black Lagoon 656,000 viewers
3:30AM Naruto 629,000 viewers
4:00AM Fullmetal: Brotherhood 501,000 viewers
4:30AM Cowboy Bebop 436,000 viewers
5:00AM Star Wars: Clone Wars 496,000 viewers
5:30AM Samurai Jack 457,000 viewers

ADULTS 18-49
11:30PM Attack on Titan 0.6 rating, 746,000 adults 18-49
12:00AM Bleach 0.6 rating, 713,000 adults 18-49
12:30AM Space Dandy 0.4 rating, 556,000,000 adults 18-49
1:00AM Naruto: Shippuden 0.5 rating, 579,000 adults 18-49
1:30AM One Piece 0.4 rating, 504,000 adults 18-49
2:00AM Gurren Lagann 0.3 rating, 412,000 adults 18-49
2:30AM Beware the Batman 0.3 rating, 374,000 adults 18-49
3:00AM Black Lagoon 0.3 rating, 424,000 adults 18-49
3:30AM Naruto 0.3 rating, 417,000 adults 18-49
4:00AM Fullmetal: Brotherhood 0.3 rating, 359,000 adults 18-49
4:30AM Cowboy Bebop 0.2 rating, 284,000 adults 18-49
5:00AM Star Wars: Clone Wars 0.2 rating, 274,000 adults 18-49
5:30AM Samurai Jack 0.2 rating, 239,000 adults 18-49

Source: Nielsen Media Research, Live plus Same-Day DVR data

Last year for comparison:

SEPTEMBER 7TH, 2013
12:00AM Bleach 1,188,000 viewers
12:30AM Naruto 1,144,000 viewers
1:00AM One Piece 954,000 viewers
1:30AM Soul Eater 841,000 viewers
2:00AM Sword Art Online 825,000 viewers
2:30AM IGPX 619,000 viewers
3:00AM Star Wars: The Clone Wars 702,000 viewers
3:30AM The Big O Season 2 562,000 viewers
4:00AM Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 529,000 viewers
4:30AM Cowboy Bebop 500,000 viewers
5:00AM Inuyasha 546,000 viewers
5:30AM Inuyasha 543,000 viewers

bigkrev

It's the Sony of those days that still makes me not like them as much now. PS+ and stuff should have erased the memories, but their disdain for 2D games, and their silly superiority act while DC was much Superi- *ahem* I just loved the games on DC so much more.

Here's the problem that sucks to admit- the system was going to die a year or 2 later even if it was successful. Just look at the stuff that came out in 2002- REmake, Rachet and Clank, Vice City, ect.... none of that stuff had a chance to run on Dreamcast. It would have been a WiiU situation. Even the stuff that was coming out in 2001- GTA 3, MGS2, Silent Hill 2, Tony Hawk 3- couldn't run on the thing. IT DIDN"T EVEN HAVE 2 ANALOG STICKS.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
How have we seen it all show? The first story arc didn't end that way, the Nazi arc sure didn't, Roberta didn't, the guerilla arc didn't but i guess comes closer than any of the others in this list, and Jane's arc didn't. The vampire twins arc is directly related to this one from a character development standpoint.

I'm not referencing the end game of the Saga here. I'm referencing the Female character that has be hardened into a killing machine / woman of power by a tough upbringing / former life.

I don't disagree that it was underwhelming, I disagree with this particular line of reasoning about it.

I think I've already made it clear that "well written and explained surprise challenger" completely lacks the "surprise" element (and really it has a ways to go before it gets the "well-explained" label). Hell, isn't your complaint here that you expected it to go in the other direction?

Like I said, the bread crumbs along the way lead me to expect what I like out of Black Lagoon, which was that every character grew into something more than a skin-deep presentation of a common character type. They normally had a quality that made them more than I would have expected from the get-go, and got to run with it. I don't feel as if we ran with it here, I felt like we just met an abrupt stop.

It's definitely too much to ask for when the lesson of the day has been that life is meaningless. No offense, but I think you're trying to force your own values onto the show rather than judge it for what it is.

I'm try pretty hard to avoid that, actually. If I let it be a "Good VS Evil" thing to me, I'd totally be going that. If I made it a "Christian Ideals VS Shinto / Buddist / etc" ideals, I'd be going there too. But I'm trying to stick with things that seems mostly universal.

But even in grey, there's shades. (Hey, "Shades of Grey" was a name of a Gunsmith Cats Arc!) As I've stated, I think the show worked well at presenting different levels of darkness in most of it's characters. It just feels as if it falters here.

Isn't one of the strongest elements between immature and adult works the fact that mature works deal with real, layered consequences?

If we consider this a season finale as opposed to a series finale I don't think it's too much of a problem. A show isn't necessarily required to have a big moment for its entire cast in a season finale, and these more focused affairs aren't exactly uncommon.

The best season finales (especially multi part ones) generally remind you of everything you liked in a show, because they want you to hunger for all those elements while you await a possible next season.

I wonder if I would have liked this more with the Manga ordering. This Arc came before Greenback, right? Heck, maybe it'd even feel better if the Omake right after was animated. ...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Here's the problem that sucks to admit- the system was going to die a year or 2 later even if it was successful. Just look at the stuff that came out in 2002- REmake, Rachet and Clank, Vice City, ect.... none of that stuff had a chance to run on Dreamcast. It would have been a WiiU situation. Even the stuff that was coming out in 2001- GTA 3, MGS2, Silent Hill 2, Tony Hawk 3- couldn't run on the thing. IT DIDN"T EVEN HAVE 2 ANALOG STICKS.

It might very well be true. I just wish the systems death was more of a "Welcome to DreamcasterXL!" continuation, rather than Sega quitting the Hardware business and dying. which would lead to them barely even getting their JP releases and series translated.

Or even just have became an enthusiast system for the things that Playstation still comparatively sucked at (Like all the 2D fighter ports, and ability to have any arcade games half as fun as most Sega Arcade games. )

I'd have loved a Sega X Microsoft combo system. Microsoft pretty much started off with one, and I loved that aspect of the Xbox. Imagine how different console gaming would be right now, if Sega kept up all it's franchises on Joint hardware, and was the JP side to Microsoft's US Studio partners. Shenmue, Skies, Nights, Sonic, SoR... they'd have all potentially been series that grew along with the power of new consoles, as full retail releases, rather than dreams in a market that's cast it's lot in with more advanced VMU~ I mean, android and iDevices.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Dreamcast was fucked from the very beginning. Sega was literally doomed unless it became a gigantic PSX/PS2 like success and they weren't going to do it without being Sony.

It's a very fondly remembered system and there was nothing like it in 1998/1999. By the time PS2's post launch wave came out (DMC and then the rest of the 2001 games) and the two even more powerful systems launched and it was already gone. 2 years in the west, a bit over 3 in Japan, where they never really liked it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
BtB is basically free to air so they don't mind how bad it does. That being said it does seem that they've been trending downward since the bump it got for airing the new to America episodes started.

bigkrev

It might very well be true. I just wish the systems death was more of a "Welcome to DreamcasterXL!" continuation, rather than Sega quitting the Hardware business and dying. which would lead to them barely even getting their JP releases and series translated.

Or even just have became an enthusiast system for the things that Playstation still comparatively sucked at (Like all the 2D fighter ports, and ability to have any arcade games half as fun as most Sega Arcade games. )

I'd have loved a Sega X Microsoft combo system. Microsoft pretty much started off with one, and I loved that aspect of the Xbox. Imagine how different console gaming would be right now, if Sega kept up all it's franchises on Joint hardware, and was the JP side to Microsoft's US Studio partners. Shenmue, Skies, Nights, Sonic, SoR... they'd have all potentially been series that grew along with the power of new consoles, as full retail releases, rather than dreams in a market that's cast it's lot in with more advanced VMU~ I mean, android and iDevices.

The thing is, not only were arcades deader than dead in 2001 (Raw Thrills hadn't even come around yet to breathe a small amount of life into them in the US), but people were no longer willing to pay full price for small arcade games without added content. Most of the best Dreamcast games would have been released as XBLA games had they come around a few years later.

And it's really hard to understate the damage Shenmue did to the company. They invested so much money for the era into making those games (70 million for the pair, by comparison, Halo 3 was only 60 million). They probably could have survived another year in the hardware business if not for the massive drain on cash that game was. And the crazy part? They then decided to spend an insane amount of money localizing (with Hollywood Talent) and marketing (the largest marketing buy Sega has ever done) for it's spiritual successor, Yakuza, in the US- and that also bombed!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They also lost money on every single piece of hardware released after the Genesis. Sega CD, 32x (surprisingly huge money pit there with lots of wasted ad dollars) and the Saturn. The Saturn is what really killed them, Shenmue started as a Saturn game and compounded that issue.

bigkrev

Yep, the Dreamcast was designed around arcade games, which is the only explanation I can come up with for it not having 2 analog sticks despite the Dualshock coming out a year before it in Japan. When it came out in the USA a year later, we were 2 years into dual stick analog gaming.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The thing is, not only were arcades deader than dead in 2001 (Raw Thrills hadn't even come around yet to breathe a small amount of life into them in the US), but people were no longer willing to pay full price for small arcade games without added content. Most of the best Dreamcast games would have been released as XBLA games had they come around a few years later.

Aye, but it would have been great if they could have created a market out of those things. Similar to how XBLA eventually became reason enough to own a 360, A Sega supported system that strengthened that aspect years earlier, with shifts in affordability, delivery, and philosophy, might have transitioned the arcade to a separate breed or home consoles, rather than just watch it die off in the US. (Which I still am a bit salty over... Arcades were my thing back then.)

And it's really hard to understate the damage Shenmue did to the company. They invested so much money for the era into making those games (70 million for the pair, by comparison, Halo 3 was only 60 million). They probably could have survived another year in the hardware business if not for the massive drain on cash that game was. And the crazy part? They then decided to spend an insane amount of money localizing (with Hollywood Talent) and marketing (the largest marketing buy Sega has ever done) for it's spiritual successor, Yakuza, in the US- and that also bombed!

I wonder if proper Yakuza and Shenmue on a system full of exclusives could have done anything? Maybe not in the state the company was in at the time, but if they could have held on, and had such series as console exclusives, what would our console wars look like now?

It'd be interesting to go to an alternate reality where the Sega CD and 32X didn't happen and instead they had simply focused on making the Saturn the follow up to the Genesis. Then their "LOL it's out NOW" trick might have worked as they'd probably have had more of a line up ready for the surprise launch.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yep, the Dreamcast was designed around arcade games, which is the only explanation I can come up with for it not having 2 analog sticks despite the Dualshock coming out a year before it in Japan. When it came out in the USA a year later, we were 2 years into dual stick analog gaming.

Thing is the two analog sticks were only used properly in a bare handful of PSX games. Ape Escape, that awesome balls cooking game that only released in Japan, and some others not worth mentioning. In hindsight its about as bad as missing the DVD drive/built in network adapter.

Another fun opinion bit on the DC. 9/9/1999 brought what many people say the best launch lineup in the history of video games but did you know that the same exact system had quite possibly the worst launch line up as well? Look what was on the DC in 1998 in Japan! Yeesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom