• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep14| This is our Final Dandy, baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not referencing the end game of the Saga here. I'm referencing the Female character that has be hardened into a killing machine / woman of power by a tough upbringing / former life.

Then that's what we're pretty much getting with Rock minus the fact that he's a guy.

Like I said, the bread crumbs along the way lead me to expect what I like out of Black Lagoon, which was that every character grew into something more than a skin-deep presentation of a common character type. They normally had a quality that made them more than I would have expected from the get-go, and got to run with it. I don't feel as if we ran with it here, I felt like we just met an abrupt stop.

Now, I don't disagree with the abrupt stop part, but I see her character arc as being divided into accepting her role, the fall, the rise, and then the fall again. Yeah, the last two parts were pretty rushed, but I don't think that necessarily makes her predictable or "skin-deep" just because she didn't turn into a legitimate threat.

I'm try pretty hard to avoid that, actually. If I let it be a "Good VS Evil" thing to me, I'd totally be going that. If I made it a "Christian Ideals VS Shinto / Buddist / etc" ideals, I'd be going there too. But I'm trying to stick with things that seems mostly universal.

But even in grey, there's shades. (Hey, "Shades of Grey" was a name of a Gunsmith Cats Arc!) As I've stated, I think the show worked well at presenting different levels of darkness in most of it's characters. It just feels as if it falters here.

Isn't one of the strongest elements between immature and adult works the fact that mature works deal with real, layered consequences?

Not if the show is, once again, trying to explicitly press a couple of specific philosophies, and at least one of them says bad things happen for no reason and nothing is done about them because the world sucks. And even then, you've already mentioned that it means something for Rock, so there's some "consequences" right there.

The best season finales (especially multi part ones) generally remind you of everything you liked in a show, because they want you to hunger for all those elements while you await a possible next season.

I wonder if I would have liked this more with the Manga ordering. This Arc came before Greenback, right? Heck, maybe it'd even feel better if the Omake right after was animated. ...

I really don't see a comedy arc providing the same impact.

Soulflarz

Banned
Need to stop watching Smash 3DS demo footage and sleep -.-
Need to stop playing destiny.

Okay lvl 12. I guess i can stop.
Who heres on psn? Add me! (Usernames Gd4033...dont ask lol, ill just real name request you)

But yeah its pure satisfaction to throwing knife someone whos about to finish charging their shotty when youre half charged.

I've never played anything on the Dreamcast.
It was in between the two consoles released at the time. The PS2 and the N64. I just never picked one up. Oh well. I always heard good things about it though from my cousin who owned one.

Honestly the thing with Yukio dying is a very Japanese thing that probably doesn't make sense unless you know what it references. The Yakuza are repeatedly portrayed as being a relic out of time. The traditional houses, the stupid rules (must be a bloodline successor), the reliance on traditional weapons, (even the head of the strongest Yakuza clan has only two guns), the devotion to honor and all that. The Kusa clan head even works in traditional dress. So Yukios acceptance of all that is what leads to her death. Her clan was destroyed and she was directly responsible for it. And so like a Japanese lady of old she committed Jigaki (the female equivalent to seppuku) as a last attempt to retain honor. Even the method is the same; blade to the throat.

Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Gradia II, Maken X, Phantasy Star Online, Garou, Street Fighter Third Strike, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Sonic Adventure, ChuChu Rocket, VirtualOn, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, Ecco, MDK 2, Blue Stinger, aerowings, every Shoot Em Up that was made on it, god damn it There is nothing at all that I hate about the Dreamcast. NOTHING.

BxGkI5yCYAAL2C_.jpg

Wut

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Then that's what we're pretty much getting with Rock minus the fact that he's a guy.

Well yeah, but remember, I like their parallels. I think gender-flipped Rock/Revy is one of the best aspects about the duo. Which is why them dying feels kinda meh. This is where the similarities break!

Now, I don't disagree with the abrupt stop part, but I see her character arc as being divided into accepting her role, the fall, the rise, and then the fall again. Yeah, the last two parts were pretty rushed, but I don't think that necessarily makes her predictable or "skin-deep" just because she didn't turn into a legitimate threat.

As Sneaky Gato mentioned above, it's just... a very common Japanese Yakuza / even Samurai storytelling thing. This is again why I like the Manga costumes for the pair better... at the sight of traditional dress, it would have been a good red flag that things were starting to go a certain way... as mentioned in like our first talking on the manner, the show totally skipped out on that visual que, and I think the story was worse for it.

Not if the show is, once again, trying to explicitly press a couple of specific philosophies, and at least one of them says bad things happen for no reason and nothing is done about them because the world sucks. And even then, you've already mentioned that it means something for Rock, so there's some "consequences" right there.

I don't think I'd mind the incredible power of Hotel Moscow as much if not for the first half of the ep. That just seemed like Balaservice. It easily soured my take on things, much like how the twins having near super-human strength at times soured some of our watchers here on that arc, or Ginjo being able to slice bullets in half.

My main discussion of consequences stems from the fact that watching Hotel Moscow steamroll home-turf families with histories, and get away scot free, is pretty weak. I would have loved for the post-credits scene to be another faction, either in Roanpour, or back in Japan, preparing to mobilize against HM because all that showboating attracted their attention. It would have been a great way to balance Bala's LOLing at cops trying to take her in.

I really don't see a comedy arc providing the same impact.

Well, the Mangaka obviously thought both were a good, or even needed followup to the story he told here! When even the creator has some lingering feeling that they want to get out with characters after writing them into a tragic death for them, that just makes me feel like he thinks it all ended as abruptly as I do.

Honestly the thing with Yukio dying is a very Japanese thing that probably doesn't make sense unless you know what it references. The Yakuza are repeatedly portrayed as being a relic out of time. The traditional houses, the stupid rules (must be a bloodline successor), the reliance on traditional weapons, (even the head of the strongest Yakuza clan has only two guns), the devotion to honor and all that. The Kusa clan head even works in traditional dress. So Yukios acceptance of all that is what leads to her death. Her clan was destroyed and she was directly responsible for it. And so like a Japanese lady of old she committed Jigaki (the female equivalent to seppuku) as a last attempt to retain honor. Even the method is the same; blade to the throat.

I didn't know they called it Jigaki. And I thought she might have just been trying to copy Ginjo's wound, as a symbolic way of coming to join him in death.

But otherwise... yeah. I totally get that (seen way more than enough shows and games to understand these things), and that's a good reason why it falls a bit flat to me (and less flat with the manga portrayal). When she started talking about how many deaths were on her hands towards the end, I had to think "weren't you two just giggling and Bonny-and-Clyde'n it up yesterday? WHY ARE WE..." *throatstab* "Oh... ok, it's like THAT. Again."

It would have been kinda cool if she took the sword, and attacked Revy. To Mirror the same way the former clanhead used an attack on Bala as his form of suicide. I wonder how Rock would have taken watching Revy be the one to gun her down...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I couldn't care less about Destiny. BUT I WANT THAT SMASH BROS. DEMO. At least Sakurai confirmed it's coming to the US.

Also, to get back on Toonami-related stuff, here's....I don't know, this.

ug0gcpqkikfdxpg95zz2.gif

Thanks for the responses. Read through the OT you would think the game was atrocious, they're tearing the game apart in there. I guess the main concerns have been over balancing, a lackluster story mode, and a lack of loot in a loot driven game. Maybe people just hyped themselves into a frenzy or to PR speak at face value instead of being realistic about Destiny. It's something I want to play, but not at a $460 entry point.

bigkrev

Day late, but my top 10 15 Dreamcast games in no particular order

Project Justice
Zombie Revenge
Crazy Taxi
Street Fighter 3 Third Strike
Illbleed (though I admit it's objectively a bad game)
Confidential Mission
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Soul Calibur
Dead or Alive 2
Resident Evil Code: Veronica
NBA 2K1
Virtua Tennis
Jet Grind Radio
Tony Hawks Pro Skater
Capcom vs SNK (1, not 2)

Squalor

Anyone in here playing Destiny? I have not heard good things so far...
Go to the Gaming side. People are loving it.

Regardless, it sold like gangbusters: $500 million in 24 hours.
Destiny just makes me want to play PSO tbh...
It's fun. It's obvious where needing to manufacture two last-generation versions has hindered the up-side of this-generation versions.

Regarding any Borderlands comparisons: I like Destiny. I absolutely hate the Borderlands series. It's so bland, and the writing is awful.

Gorillaz

Thanks for the responses. Read through the OT you would think the game was atrocious, they're tearing the game apart in there. I guess the main concerns have been over balancing, a lackluster story mode, and a lack of loot in a loot driven game. Maybe people just hyped themselves into a frenzy or to PR speak at face value instead of being realistic about Destiny. It's something I want to play, but not at a $460 entry point.
Its generic as hell in story telling and a whole lot of shoot this..now shoot this

However im having a great time, but that might be due to the fact I didnt get swallowed up by the PR machine and came to terms that it was still going to be a good game. Not a "be all end all" that gaming side bought into.

Im having fun on ps3 you guys should try it with me or at least red box it some time

Raxus

I am still waiting for the GotY to come out (Bayonetta 2) everything else just keeps me occupied until then.

Also, Mario Kart 8 was better than Destiny IMO. It is certainly going to be the most popular game this year but far from the best.

Seda

No new title this year has really grabbed me much.

Best game I've played this year for the first time is Final Fantasy V though. Persona 2, Golden Sun, and Wild Arms XF are up there.

Transistor was pretty cool with the skill system at least.

bigkrev

I still need to actually sit down and play Transistor

Best (new) games I've played this year are Picross e4, Danganronpa, Cloudbuilt, Wolfenstein, and Threes

Best (old) games I've played for the first time this year are Tomb Raider, Batman: Arkham Origins, Sleeping Dogs, Sonic and Sega All-Star Racing Transformed (AKA the "I GOT A PC THAT CAN RUN GAMES package)

Soulflarz

Banned
No new title this year has really grabbed me much.

Best game I've played this year for the first time is Final Fantasy V though. Persona 2, Golden Sun, and Wild Arms XF are up there.

Transistor was pretty cool with the skill system at least.

Cmonn, get Destiny. I need people to play it with!

Squalor

Top-five games this year:

5. Infamous: Second Son
4. Child of Light
3. Transistor
2. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
1. The Last of Us Remastered

Squalor

The Last of Us really shouldn't count LOL

I am waiting for Transistor to go 50% off.
It was, by far, the best game of last year, and it's still the best game of this year.
Wasn't it 50% off on PSN 2 weeks ago?

And TLOU counts. It was increased to a playable framerate! I'm 4 hours in and loving it.
There was nothing wrong with the frame rate before.

Sure, the remastered version has improved frame rate, but don't try to pretend as though it was unplayable on the PlayStation 3.

Go to the Gaming side. People are loving it.

Regardless, it sold like gangbusters: $500 million in 24 hours.

No they are not, at least from the tone of the OT. There was never any doubt that it would sell well, it's crossgen, multiplat, and has an insane marketing budget. I'll play Destiny eventually when PS4/X\BO get a price cut but I'm hearing a lot of people are disappointed with how the game turned out. Not sure if the concerns are legitimate or a product of too much hype.

bigkrev

No they are not, at least from the tone of the OT. There was never any doubt that it would sell well, it's crossgen, multiplat, and has an insane marketing budget. I'll play Destiny eventually when PS4/X\BO get a price cut but I'm hearing a lot of people are disappointed with how the game turned out. Not sure if the concerns are legitimate or a product of too much hype.

Yeah, it seems really mixed. I didn't buy it because I did not like the little of the Beta (on PS3 though) that I played, and because I really do not enjoy the Halo games, but I liked the ambition this game had.

I would have much preferred Destiny as a single player game with multiplayer component. I know they don't like the word MMO but that's how playing it feels like, and I don't think that's a good idea if they wanted to tell a story.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It's how every mmo launch ever goes. So long as they can keep pushing out content and patching things it'll be fine. They'll learn from their mistakes, if they don't fold it up first.

It's how every mmo launch ever goes. So long as they can keep pushing out content and patching things it'll be fine. They'll learn from their mistakes, if they don't fold it up first.

Good point, I've never actually played an MMO so I'm not exactly familiar with how these launches go. That unfamiliarity also explains why I let a lot of things slide in SAO my first watch, it wasn't until the show aired on toonami and people in this thread pointed out how dumb some of the mechanics were that I started to see more warts bubble up to the surface.

bigkrev

It's the first one where everyone (except for some people on college campuses) had no problems getting into the game, which has to be a first for an MMO, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom