• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep14| This is our Final Dandy, baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
What's starting Thriller Bark?

Toonami certainly isn't. They'd have to show nearly ten episodes a Saturday to do that.

The DVD releases.
Season 6, Volume 1 is coming out September 30th. That begins Thriller Bark.

Squalor

This Saturday is episode 270.

Thriller Bark's saga begins at episode 326 with a nine-episode filler arc.
The DVD releases.
Season 6, Volume 1 is coming out September 30th. That begins Thriller Bark.

Funimation is starting their dub of that arc then.
Oh, okay. I wasn't aware they were doing that.

From BatDan's post, I thought you (he) was talking about Toonami.

We shouldn't have any issues of catching up with Funimations dub of One Piece where they'd have to reair episodes like they did with Bleach.

Squalor

If they do end up doing that I hope they at least have two airings instead of just one. Should be able to get through them faster.
Two episodes of One Piece would be better than a few of the shows on the schedule, anyway.

I was really hoping to make it through Inuyasha again like that on Toonami, but then they cut it to one episode a night last year, then lost the licensing for airing it earlier this year. It was a shame.

I doubt I have the motivation to make myself watch it otherwise, even if I were to skip the filler.

Raxus

tumblr_n2j78g8BgO1rtcxbuo1_500.gif

October 3rd?

SURE WHY THE HELL NOT?

Just sell the rights to Toonami afterward Nick!

Squalor

Last season's ratings were awful, consistently below 1.5 million viewers.

It's too bad because the show has only gotten better with age.

Raxus

In its defense it literally had a week of advertising AND they shotgunned those episodes out for a rather inexplicable reason.

Moaradin

That's what happens when they announce it like 2 weeks ahead of time with no advertising whatsoever. It did real good in it's original time slot. I don't understand what goes on in the heads of the Nick execs.

BatDan

They hate money?

Rather, they want the most money with the least amount of effort.
Instead of investing in top-shelf series like Korra, they'd rather air a thousand Spongebob repeats.
Plus, they teamed up with Saban Brands, the kings of "more money no effort"

Keep in mind, they rejected Adventure Time.

Squalor

That's what happens when they announce it like 2 weeks ahead of time with no advertising whatsoever. It did real good in it's original time slot. I don't understand what goes on in the heads of the Nick execs.
"Gotta get this show off to open up a time slot for more live-action teeny-bopper shows."

Man God

Non-Canon Member
In the anime, there are 10 arcs between the end of the Enies Lobby arc and the start of the actual Marineford arc.

Five arcs are canon. Four arcs are filler. One arc is a manga cover story.

There is one full saga between the two arcs.

Oh, you're counting Non-Canon™ material. I still don't get where you get five canon arcs from.

BatDan

Oh, you're counting Non-Canon™ material. I still don't get where you get five canon arcs from.

After Enies Lobby (
not counting the post-arc
)
Thriller Bark
Sabaody Archipelago
Amazon Lily
Impel Down
Marineford (plus post-Marineford)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
After Enies Lobby (
not counting the post-arc
)
Thriller Bark
Sabaody Archipelago
Amazon Lily
Impel Down
Marineford (plus post-Marineford)

Oh, I lump the third and fourth together, I guess it's long enough to be a real arc. I'm also exhausted and apparently can't count any more as I swore my mental calculation counted both at one point. Oh well, five it is.

Gorillaz

Heard it was something about low merchandise for the show.

Can someone correct me if I was dreaming, but didn't Demarco have a tweet in the last week or so about Gundam Seed Destiny coming to Toonami? I recall this yet I can't locate it on his twitter. I'm hoping I didn't just dream it up.

Also: Welcome Back Tenumi. I'm pleased to see wrongs were righted.

Can someone correct me if I was dreaming, but didn't Demarco have a tweet in the last week or so about Gundam Seed Destiny coming to Toonami? I recall this yet I can't locate it on his twitter. I'm hoping I didn't just dream it up.

Also: Welcome Back Tenumi. I'm pleased to see wrongs were righted.

You must have been having a terrible nightmare.

Squalor

Oh, I lump the third and fourth together, I guess it's long enough to be a real arc. I'm also exhausted and apparently can't count any more as I swore my mental calculation counted both at one point. Oh well, five it is.
Officially, they're separate arcs.

I have never been a huge Gundam fan, anyway, but I really disliked SEED.

Officially, they're separate arcs.

I have never been a huge Gundam fan, anyway, but I really disliked SEED.

What was the problem with SEED? I know it didn't do particularly wonderful here but I haven't seen the whole series. Was there something in particular that made it offputting or was it just not well received?

bigkrev

Rather, they want the most money with the least amount of effort.
Instead of investing in top-shelf series like Korra, they'd rather air a thousand Spongebob repeats.
Plus, they teamed up with Saban Brands, the kings of "more money no effort"

Keep in mind, they rejected Adventure Time.

G4 Died because they made more money airing reruns of Cops from the 90s than they did creating and airing original programming.

daveo42

Banned
What was the problem with SEED? I know it didn't do particularly wonderful here but I haven't seen the whole series. Was there something in particular that made it offputting or was it just not well received?

SEED was a good retelling of the original story in a different universe. The only real issue I had were with Kira. Destiny though was garbage and doesn't exist like the 2nd season of Gundam 00.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yet it was SEED and SEED Destiny that really signified the killing blow, or so I am told.

DESTINY never even aired in the US. SEED had a god awful timeslot and was dragged down like the rest of Saturday TOONAMI/AVS/Whatever they called it.

Squalor

Aside from obvious faults like horrible plotting (cut corners, lazy writing, ridiculous circumstances even by anime standards) and character development (no one acted like a real person), the show often vacillated between being a simple, action-oriented Gundam show, which was when it was at its most decent, and a show whose writers suddenly thought they could infuse some Neon Genesis Evangelion- or RahXephon-esque existentialism and philosophizing into it, which, obviously, wasn't the case.

Finally, one staple of good Gundam shows is the presence of a great antagonist. This did not have that.

Aside from obvious faults like horrible plotting (cut corners, lazy writing, ridiculous circumstances even by anime standards) and character development (no one acted like a real person), the show often vacillated between being a simple, action-oriented Gundam show, which was when it was at its most decent, and a show whose writers suddenly thought they could infuse some Neon Genesis Evangelion- or RahXephon-esque existentialism and philosophizing into it, which, obviously, wasn't the case.

Finally, one staple of good Gundam shows is the presence of a great antagonist. This did not have that.

Excellent points. Thank you for the well reasoned response.

bigkrev

That's really just Comcast's modus operandi in a nutshell.

I'll never forgive them for murdering two of my favorite networks.

:rant mode:
Comcast came in yesterday and dug up our entire front lawn because they were working on our streets system, and all the lines are buried at our house apparently. In the process, they managed to break the FIOS line to our house, and we haven't had Home phone, TV, or Internet for nearing 24 hours now. Then, when they replaced the dirt and grass, they fucked that up, and our lawn now looks unkept and disgusting.

I swear, if they don't have our service repaired in time for the NXT special tonight, I might actually kill someone. Fuck you Comcast for hiring the worst contractors. We even checked- the FIOS line is a good 10 feet away from where they should have been digging!

Squalor

That's really just Comcast's modus operandi in a nutshell.

I'll never forgive them for murdering two of my favorite networks.
TechTV and, later, G4?

I remember people hated that initial merging. Then it all calmed down for a long time. Then all the great tech- and gaming-oriented shows slowly began to disappear. Then Attack of the Show was all that was left, and it was nothing more than a fan-service pseudo-tech show by then.

Olivia Munn was the absolute worst.

TechTV and, later, G4?

I remember people hated that initial merging. Then it all calmed down for a long time. Then all the great tech- and gaming-oriented shows slowly began to disappear. Then Attack of the Show was all that was left, and it was nothing more than a fan-service pseudo-tech show by then.

That's correct.

Pre-merger, TechTV had a terrific set of original (and in many cases informative!) programming as well as several acquired shows, such as some anime, Robot Wars, Thunderbirds, etc. G4 similarly had a bunch of great original programming as well. The merger was more or less a way for Comcast to cannibalize its only competition into itself. Upon merging the networks, Comcast immediately fired the vast majority of TechTV employees and staff, only retaining a few personalities. These few (mainly Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb due to X-play but also a couple other younger people. I think Kevin Rose was brought over as well originally.) were immediately ordered to relocate to L.A. where the G4 offices were located.

This started the spiral as X-play was one of the only retained shows from the TechTV original programming, despite the network still trying to call itself G4TechTV. Eventually they nuked that all together and just left it as G4 again, which was the idea all along I'm sure. Eventually, over the next few years, the G4 original programming and the personalities associated with them were slowly booted off the network as well to air cheaper acquisitions like Cheaters, COPS and cult films that probably did not cost them much to show. Towards the end of its life, G4 attempted to air some of its back catalog of original programming when enough of a fanbase for it came forward and demanded that those shows were better than the tripe that was currently airing. This was G4Rewind. After a short summer stint, the ratings for it were poor (as far as I know), though it was given the "Fox" sort of chance (Things were aired at 5-6 a.m.).

One thing to bring up about the last part there is that we have to keep in mind the kinds of original programming that G4 offered. What we had here when you watched things like Blister or Cheat! or hell even Arena...these shows' content were all being supplanted by the internet and what the net could do. Just like gaming magazines, no one needed to watch a Blister or an X-play or whatever to get their gaming news like they did in the late 90s/early 2000s. In 2007-2008 or so, you could easily go to youtube or IGN or any other multitude of gaming journalism websites and find out news immediately. Like gaming magazines, G4 shows that didn't have story-based content (like Portal) were a day late and a dollar short by the time they aired. They worked in the years they were aired, but not so much now. Some might could get away with it, but not enough to support a whole network.

So while I blame Comcast's decision making skills for destroying G4, that one had a sell by date. Their absolute murder of TechTV on the other hand was unforgivable. They outright took down competition mercilessly.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sadly the thing about TechTV was they were fucked either way as they were on the precipice of going out of business before the Comcast buyout. Also, Anime Unleashed was the best Anime block outside of the Turnersphere.

Sadly the thing about TechTV was they were fucked either way as they were on the precipice of going out of business before the Comcast buyout. Also, Anime Unleashed was the best Anime block outside of the Turnersphere.

Agreed on both points. The unfortunate reality of TV and the world is that the best television is also expensive to make. I love shows like Robot Wars, The Screensavers and what have you, but those were expensive shows to make. They are also very niche to computer/tech interested audiences. They simply did not make back the money they cost to produce.

It's melodramatic and boring. There's also a lot of talking in a show that's supposed to be about giant freaking robots that fight.

Most would disagree

olivia_munn_eats_a_hotdog-43643.gif

Moaradin

If I wanted to watch some more Gundam, what would be the bare essentials that are must watches? Watching Build Fighters kinda made me want to try and get into Gundam, but there are so many different shows and I hear a lot of them range from mediocre to bad, so I have no idea where to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom