• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Sep14| This is our Final Dandy, baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I wanted to watch some more Gundam, what would be the bare essentials that are must watches? Watching Build Fighters kinda made me want to try and get into Gundam, but there are so many different shows and I hear a lot of them range from mediocre to bad, so I have no idea where to start.

Gundam Wing
G Gundam
08th MS Team

You're set

Seda

Gundam Wing and G Gundam seem to be the most widely seen. G Gundam you have to embrace the CHEESE though, the dramatics aren't fully meant to be taken seriously.

Gundam Wing soured me a little on a rewatch but I definitely would say I liked it.

Gundam 00 is the only other one I've seen.

The first half of season 1 of showed some potential. The second half....was okay at times with some stupid junk.

Season 2 was pretty awful all around.

The movie is probably the worst I've seen.

If I wanted to watch some more Gundam, what would be the bare essentials that are must watches? Watching Build Fighters kinda made me want to try and get into Gundam, but there are so many different shows and I hear a lot of them range from mediocre to bad, so I have no idea where to start.

Personally, I would start right at the beginning with Mobile Suit Gundam. However, it can be a little stale, especially being the first one and from the 70s. However, if you can look past that and enjoy it for what it is, it is a nice entry. There are terrific collections of the manga being put out right now in hardcover editions if that is more your speed.

After that, I would either watch ZZ if you want to continue the story or perhaps one of the other stories. Many of the entries such as Gundam 0080, 0083 and 8th MS team take place in the Universal Century timeline, continuing the story of the conflict between Zeon and the Earth Federation after the original series. Each has their own quirks and take on different facets of the story. For example, the original series can make it seem like the principality of Zeon is the villains of the story at first glance, while you can watch something like Gundam 0080 which shows the other side of the story from the perspective of a colony that is one of the ones striving for independence.

If you want a good standalone story, Gundam Wing is ALWAYS a solid choice. G Gundam is a good choice as well if you want a completely over-the-top experience.

Seda

Oh right the timelines.

Oddly enough the ones I mentioned (ie. the ones I've seen) are all stand alone on that front.

Moaradin

Standalone would be ideal. Part of the reason I enjoyed Build Fighters so much. I didn't need to know everything about Gundam beforehand.

daveo42

Banned
I'll also throw in a comment for watching OG Gundam as well. It's the best series out there, but it's a pretty solid Gundam series. You can skip Zeta unless you like the idea of transforming Macross Gundams and want to see some characters from OG Gundam.

The only ones I would say to avoid would be:
Gundam 00 Season 2 - Went balls insane in all of the wrong ways
Gundam SEED Destiny - Sequal to a series that didn't need it with a protag even worse than Kira and people who come back out of fucking no where.
Gundam AGE - Neat idea horribly executed and lacks any real political motivations.

I still want to watch Unicorn but I haven't gotten around to it.

Edit: Wing is probably the best Stand Alone.

Squalor

Toonami should bring back Heat Guy J and Outlaw Star, but pay to have them remastered:

banderas.png

daveo42

Banned
Toonami should bring back Heat Guy J and Outlaw Star, but pay to have them remastered:

banderas.png

I'd like to see Outlaw Star Remaster. It's been ages since I've seen that show. Far too long. Only ever saw the first few episodes of Heat Guy and don't remember how I even felt about it. Maybe at most "meh".

Focusing too much on custom models and constantly bringing new ones in just so they could sell toys always brought me out of the later Gundam's. Pf course the whole series was founded on the excuse for Merchandising so I guess the writing makes it seem worse than it is.

daveo42

Banned
It seems like Heat Guy J didn't leave a lasting impact. I know one guy that was really interested in the show when it was localized, but even then he didn't talk all that much about it other than "You totally got to see this" or w/e.

Sounds like I didn't really miss out.

Not really sure what Toonami should bring back.

daveo42

Banned
It also aired Æon Flux, which, technically, isn't anime, but it was heavily inspired by it.

I remember this and the handful of off-beat shows MTV used to play in between blocks of videos in the 90s. I think that may have aired after 2001 I had no clue about since it was around the time they started transitioning from Music TV to whatever garbage they air now.

I also blame MTV for starting the filth that is currently known as Reality TV, even though it was easy to get invested in Road Rules during one of their weekend marathons.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I missed out on Outlaw Star airing on Toonami/CN but I saw the series on DVD when my friend let me borrow it when I flew out to Arizona in high school. I think I saw it because of the fact I heard it was on CN at one point, but I can't remember if I learned about it being on Toonami before or after seeing it on DVD.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, Funimation got the rights for it last year. I also remember them advertising the DVD for it when they did the April Fools airing Toonami & showing the final episode (though this was before Funi got the series). Would be cool to see it return as a 3 AM-ish show.

THEN SURPRISE WE GET ANGEL LINKS, THE SPIN-OFF, INSTEAD.

Never saw heat guy j either

Man missed so much in this thread due to smash 4 coming out, still salty over the final roster but I'm sure I'll enjoy it once its out :/

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Never saw heat guy j either

Man missed so much in this thread due to smash 4 coming out, still salty over the final roster but I'm sure I'll enjoy it once its out :/

I'm sure DLC could happen.
"But Sakurai said no DLC" Rule 1: Sakurai lies.

Tamanon

Banned
I wasn't that much of a fan of Baccano. Only made it through 4 episodes or so before getting bored. Durarara! was a lot more interesting to me. Stoked for season 2 of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom