• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Ew, that was pure cringe. It really should have just been the two shooting the shit with the others, but all that scripted stuff hurt the video.

By the way
KtflKC5h.jpg

WarRock

I always have to prepare myself to watch Blue Blazes, I laugh way too much. Ignis giving us trivia about the series, like
the whole story about Otaking's family and the house
being actually true also makes me laugh.

For those suffering through shows they had high hopes for that let them down just remember...it could be as bad as Kamen Rider Wizard episodes without Beast or Decade.
Fixed that for you.

hmmm... the biggest weakness of W was the poor fight choreography, which was redeemed a bit with the sakamoto films lol
Still better than OOO or Gaim from what I remember. Man, any kid could do direct better fights than we got on OOO.

Corgi

Banned
I always have to prepare myself to watch Blue Blazes, I laugh way too much. Ignis giving us trivia about the series, like
the whole story about Otaking's family and the house
being actually true also makes me laugh.

Fixed that for you.

Still better than OOO or Gaim from what I remember. Man, any kid could do direct better fights than we got on OOO.

was OOO really a 'fighter' though? I liked how his final form was just pure berserk.

Gaim fights kinda sucked after Wizard, but his final form allowed for some decent exchanges.

W's lighter suit and relatively low-key weapons meant we actually got some choreography from the main Rider. The suits with low encumbrance and light gimmicks like Faiz, Kabuto, Den-O, W, and Wizard tend to be better choreography. Fourze's switches and OOO's different form lowered the amount of direct choreography Takaiwa had to do.

And that's before you get to the heavier suits like Blade, Kiva, and probably Gaim.

Drive looks on the heavier side, especially with the form gimmick tires.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
W's lighter suit and relatively low-key weapons meant we actually got some choreography from the main Rider. The suits with low encumbrance and light gimmicks like Faiz, Kabuto, Den-O, W, and Wizard tend to be better choreography. Fourze's switches and OOO's different form lowered the amount of direct choreography Takaiwa had to do.

And that's before you get to the heavier suits like Blade, Kiva, and probably Gaim.

And on the Sentai side, MagiShine. I laughed when I was watching Boukenger vs Super Sentai and noticed that during the scene where all the Rangers flipped into battle (the thing Sentai does when they all flip over the camera), MagiShine didn't flip 'cause you can't flip in that bulky-ass suit. :lol

WarRock

was OOO really a 'fighter' though? I liked how his final form was just pure berserk.
That doesn't matter, really. Eiji was basically flailing his arms until Ankh tells him to use a finisher. Woo, fights.

Until we got the Fourze movie.

Fourze not only got fights, it had personality. The style of punches, the laid back stance, the headbutts... you can easily see that it's Gentaro fighting. Though we do get some useless Switch spam here and then (though that also matches Gen's style, haha - I never got over his inability to calculate the square root of 49 or to win rock-paper-scissors against Magic Hand).

That's part of the reason I watch those shows, visual language through the fights, and that Fourze, W (different styles for each form, even!) and (early) Wizard had. OOO did not and had PLENTY of potential for it with all the different forms (though the Mantis blades and Tiger claws are very redundant), but there wasn't even a "set" style of fighting for TaToBa (and that random and unneeded sword).

javadoze

OOOs fights were just the worst. You had a legitimately interesting gimmick to make the fights interesting and the fight choreographers made the worst of it. While we're at it, Gaim's fights are pretty hit-and-miss for the most part, mostly miss. The dialogue and amazing story help make them near invisible, though.

(Though the Marika debut fight, Triumphant Arms debut fight, the Zenith/Duke tag-team fight, and any time where Kouta gets to flex his stunt muscles all stand out in my mind.)

Supposedly the same guy who choreographed Wizard's fights also did Gaim's as well.

alvmew

Gaim 45

As much as I loved her, thank god Malika died. Crazy bitch. Lol.

And thank god based Zack isn't dead!

That battle at the end was magnificent. Can't wait for next week!

38?! Wow, this season went by fast.

It was actually 28. Lol.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
38?! Wow, this season went by fast.

Can I just pretend there are only 10 episodes left till the next Super Sentai Series starts?

Speaking of which, what does everyone think will be the next sentai theme?

It won't be:
Cars
Dinos
Trains
Animals
Samurai

I'm thinking Ninja or something new like Musicians (Idol Sentai Utauger? Music Sentai Idolger?)

Gaim was hype as usual. Sucks it has to end next week.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Can I just pretend there are only 10 episodes left till the next Super Sentai Series starts?

It won't be:
Cars
Dinos
Trains
Animals
Samurai

I'm thinking Ninja or something new like Musicians (Idol Sentai Utauger? Music Sentai Idolger?)

What about cowboys/westerns?
I know Japan loves westerns (since most of them are re-tellings of their Samurai movies) and Red Dead Redemption was a hit when that came out.

Though they'll have to find a way to get the hat on.

vareon

Kamen Rider Knuckle 45

Penultimate episode! Felt like we haven't had a set up of final battle like this in years.

How did they do kenshin's 2 final moves? Those don't seem like things that would translate from anime well.

Not yet, that would be in the 2nd part of the movie. As a comparison, they adapted Seta Sojiro's flash step thingy by establishing he's very light and jumps a lot.

Corgi

Banned

which is what was disappointing about W, the most he did was a few kicks and typical rider flailing around. You'd think philip would have been able to 'I know kungfu'. And for having such potential with the form combos, they barely ever did much besides using 1 or 2 forms max per fight until the movie.

Xtreme also had bad fights (and weirdly lost more fights than most final form riders). I guess they couldn't really figure out how to do sword/shield fights well until Gaim.

from the brief Drive footage, it does seem like he might be more CQC precise strikes ala Gobuster than flailing or overly wuxia flippy like wizard.

which is what was disappointing about W, the most he did was a few kicks and typical rider flailing around. You'd think philip would have been able to 'I know kungfu'. And for having such potential with the form combos, they barely ever did much besides using 1 or 2 forms max per fight until the movie.

Xtreme also had bad fights (and weirdly lost more fights than most final form riders). I guess they couldn't really figure out how to do sword/shield fights well until Gaim.

from the brief Drive footage, it does seem like he might be more CQC precise strikes ala Gobuster than flailing or overly wuxia flippy like wizard.

I'm down. I feel Takaiwa at his best with arrogant Riders: Faiz, Kabuto, and Decade. Faiz Wrist is still my favorite Rider flourish.

tumblr_m7qhzmavCp1qa69wso1_500.gif

WarRock

(Though the Marika debut fight, Triumphant Arms debut fight, the Zenith/Duke tag-team fight, and any time where Kouta gets to flex his stunt muscles all stand out in my mind.)
Not enough Flag Fu though )=
Everytime he tries, either he gets disarmed or throws the flags away to use the DJ gun.

I'm down. I feel Takaiwa at his best with arrogant Riders: Faiz, Kabuto, and Decade. Faiz Wrist is still my favorite Rider flourish.

tumblr_m7qhzmavCp1qa69wso1_500.gif
Completely agreed. And more early GoBus choreography is always needed.

Corgi

Banned
did they ever explain why gaim final form doesn't have a final form weapon?

been years since a rider didn't have a final form weapon... well i guess since decade.

Not enough Flag Fu though )=
Everytime he tries, either he gets disarmed or throws the flags away to use the DJ gun.

Completely agreed. And more early GoBus choreography is always needed.

Yeah, early Gobuster was great. Loved the suits and the choreography.

NeonZ

did they ever explain why gaim final form doesn't have a final form weapon?

been years since a rider didn't have a final form weapon... well i guess since decade.

Probably due to the tweaked airing schedule. I guess the part of the toyline that ended up with that weapon was Kachidoki, which had its own toyline weapon, unlike other mid season forms. So, considering how Drive is starting in October too, we might now see a change where it'll be the mid season upgrade that has its own weapon from now on, while the final form doesn't have one (unless it also doubles as the transformation gimmick).

jwk94

So Nick Germany is not only getting two new episodes of Super Megaforce every weekend, but the episodes are also in English. What's wrong with American cartoon scheduling?

Tenumi

Banned
So Nick Germany is not only getting two new episodes of Super Megaforce every weekend, but the episodes are also in English. What's wrong with American cartoon scheduling?

Nick America can't get themselves enough of Spongebob, probably.

Real reason, I don't really know.

jwk94

Nick America can't get themselves enough of Spongebob, probably.

Real reason, I don't really know.

It's not even just Nick America. Back when the Ed Edd n' Eddy finale was airing it was shown EVERYWHERE but CN America until a year later.

So Super Mega 12

The thing that annoys me the most about thiss how is them constantly going Mega for absolutely no reason. Emma shoots the MOTW with the Super Mega blaster and then pulls out her Mega morpher? WTF??

I do like how they took some time to fix the hole in the megazord. That was pretty cool.

The MOTW is a pretty good driver too? Idk, this episode was pretty out there.

Whoa, everyone minus Emma just went Super Mega from civilian mode.

Zynx

Gaim 45 (subs are out)
Welp, Yoko goes out like a chump. And Zack doesn't survive, but the other two do! Damn, this was an awesome series. I'm confident the ending will be good.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Gaim 45 (subs are out)
Welp, Yoko goes out like a chump. And Zack doesn't survive, but the other two do! Damn, this was an awesome series. I'm confident the ending will be good.

Possible spoilers for next week (maybe):

Zack's actor didn't get the "thank you for your work on the show" flowers that the actors usually get when they're finished. Yoko's actress did, however. So this points to Zack not being dead. Or a ghost like Takatora. One or the other.

Xerotwo

Possible spoilers for next week (maybe):

Zack's actor didn't get the "thank you for your work on the show" flowers that the actors usually get when they're finished. Yoko's actress did, however. So this points to Zack not being dead. Or a ghost like Takatora. One or the other.

It's definitely hinting that he wasn't officially dead, since how that scene portrayed him looked like he was knocked out instead of being fatally wounded to near death.

One of the Dino Charge rangers just posted this picture to Twitter with the caption "Road trip with the cast mates"

Looks like she's Dino Charge Violet.

The blonde? Yeah, she's been in a couple of other shots are well. She definitely a member of the cast either way. I wouldn't be surprised if they seed her as a related civilian and then upgrade her later.

jwk94

Gaim 45 was pretty good. Sad to see Gaim ending so soon though =/

The blonde? Yeah, she's been in a couple of other shots are well. She definitely a member of the cast either way. I wouldn't be surprised if they seed her as a related civilian and then upgrade her later.

I think the casting side said she's a scientist?

fertygo

The first half of Gaim 45 is pretty weak, shame.. not feeling Yoko and Zack stuff at all, the Ryoma in eps 43 is much stronger

No way an small bom killed transformed rider, that's lame

Dat 2nd half tho..

shaowebb

It won't be:
Cars
Dinos
Trains
Animals
Samurai

Fruit?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

It won't be:
Cars
Dinos
Trains
Animals
Samurai

music themed is a good one. or cowboys. something grecian or norse maybe

ReiGun

Minato is the best argument for why we need more female riders. Easily one of the coolest characters.

RIP to her and my man Zack. :(

Remember when this show was about dancing and seemed like the dumbest thing ever?

jwk94

Minato is the best argument for why we need more female riders. Easily one of the coolest characters.

My girl deserved a legit final fight.

Remember when this show was about dancing and seemed like the dumbest thing ever?

I still can't get my friend to watch Gaim and I feel like the dancing part would completely stop him from going further than episode 1.

WarRock

I am sure
Kaito didn't kill Zack
. Though I do wonder how he judged the situation, considering that time
when Micchy tried shooting Kouta from behind

Top Bottom