• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

WillyFive

Are we going to make a new OT when Drive comes out? Or at the very least update the OP

I'd like to recreate it all from scratch; but it will take a mod to update the thread title like the past two OT's. We always have the option to make a new OT, but we are a pretty small group to support so many threads. That said, TokuGAF is growing really quickly. We are only a thousand posts from reaching what the last OT did in the entire year of 2013, and this thread has already outgrown the entirety of the 2012 OT, and we are only a little over half-way through the year (Feb -> Feb).

So it's up to you guys. Heck, if someone is better at making OP's than I am, then please feel free to do it! A good time to do one would be the same week Drive premieres, so that we can bring in new people with a new show (it's why I've been making them when the first new show of the year premieres, which is Sentai and PR in February).

KingDirk

So I have been making Perler bead Kamen Rider heads for a bit, mostly from my own designs, but they sometimes come off hinky. Is anybody in this thread good at pixel art? I want to make full set of Heisei riders.

Also, Drive continues to look great and I am ready for the MR seesaw of quality to be broken.

Corgi

Banned
dont get why all the sentai themes work soo well in their instrumental form. I guess catchy melodies is a must for kids shows?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Uh oh. So, more Super Megaforce aired in France and
another "New Power" appeared. This time, they turned into Changeman.

... Can we pretend the last four seasons of PR never happened? That it all takes place in a coma dream or something?

Tenumi

Banned
Uh oh. So, more Super Megaforce aired in France and
another "New Power" appeared. This time, they turned into Changeman.

... Can we pretend the last four seasons of PR never happened? That it all takes place in a coma dream or something?

Man, what a bust of a season... So much potential and so much missed.

BatDan

What is the point of super mega mode? Why was it so hard to say "here are you new powers"?

"Super Mega Mode" is Gokaiger.
Do you mean regular "Megaforce" (Goseiger)? No clue...
I know later in the season
Vrak (Bladerun) is coming back so they can use the suits there. But what they should have done was have him defeated in the first part, and his death triggers the invasion and the destruction of their Megaforce powers. Hence they need the Pirate ones that they won't call pirates.

Or better yet, NOT DO A FUCKING HYBRID SEASON!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
"Super Mega Mode" is Gokaiger.
Do you mean regular "Megaforce" (Goseiger)? No clue...
I know later in the season
Vrak (Bladerun) is coming back so they can use the suits there. But what they should have done was have him defeated in the first part, and his death triggers the invasion and the destruction of their Megaforce powers. Hence they need the Pirate ones that they won't call pirates.

Or better yet, NOT DO A FUCKING HYBRID SEASON!

I think he meant "What's the point of Super Mega Mode" as in why the hell did they have to make the Gokaiger suits a power-up rather than just giving them new powers? I know that's what I've been wondering.

BatDan

I think he meant "What's the point of Super Mega Mode" as in why the hell did they have to make the Gokaiger suits a power-up rather than just giving them new powers? I know that's what I've been wondering.

Oh, right... reducing Gokaiger to a power-up.
Hmmm... poor attempt at catching up with Japan? Attempt to cash-in on nostalgia by doing hybrid seasons like MMPR S2 and 3? Lazy as fuck writing?

Corgi

Banned
Oh yeah. has there ever been any confirmation on why no gobusters power rangers?

Liked the other more realistic organization based PR seasons, lightspeed rescue and spd.

Is it the merch issue?

BatDan

Oh yeah. has there ever been any confirmation on why no gobusters power rangers?

Liked the other more realistic organization based PR seasons, lightspeed rescue and spd.

Is it the merch issue?

That's what it sounds like. Go-Busters was a bomb in TV ratings and merchandise, and Bandai doesn't want to risk it in America.
It was rumored that "elements" of Go-Busters will be included in Dino Charge, but nobody knows if that's true.

BatDan

ToQger 28

Kind of flip-flopping between Tokatti and Akira as my favorite character. They both have their strengths and flaws.
At least I feel better that the ToQger crew finds Right just as annoying as I do. I think it says something when the way to stop his brainwashing is to remind themselves how annoying he is... you screwed up your Red Ranger writers!
Also, the cannon powered by all five is OP as hell.

Kind of hope next week sticks
Schwartz teaming up with the ToQgers. It would at least make the season interesting.

WarRock

Is it the merch issue?

Not enough toys/toys didn't sell well enough AFAIK. Which is a shame, I wanted to see american actors shouting "it's morphing time" after the toys did every episode.

vareon

Not enough toys/toys didn't sell well enough AFAIK. Which is a shame, I wanted to see american actors shouting "it's morphing time" after the toys did every episode.

The season with most Power Rangers reference being cut is sad ._. I actually want a RPM-ish Go-Busters and that would be my dream Power Rangers.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The season with most Power Rangers reference being cut is sad ._. I actually want a RPM-ish Go-Busters and that would be my dream Power Rangers.

Ive said it, but a gobus season could easily be in the rpm au.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Can't wait to watch the final showdown between Kaito and Kuta, it will be awesome.

The last segment is fuck ton awesome action. RIP all those plastic chairs and tables, can't Toei afford real furnitures?

Clearly the real villains are plastic chars and tables.

I haven't really liked any Rider ops since W. Which may not be far, since "WBX Extreme" is god tier, but eh. Insert music has been good, though. OOO had awesome themes for the forms. Dat "Time Judged All." Secondary Rider themes are great too. Reverse/Rebirth, Shooting Star, Leave all Behind, and Evolving Storm are dope. Cosmic Mind was good too.

I remember no music from Gaim beyond the main theme. They use inserts so sparingly.

I liked all the Rider OP so far and agreed OOOs had awesome themes for form as did Fourze and Wizard, I also liked Den-O form themes and Raise your flag from Gaim.

As for Secondary Riders Zeronos and Beast theme are pretty good.

Looks good, though I am getting vibe of Kamen Rider W and the G3 system from Kamen Rider Agito.

Though I am not too fond of the car gimmick but eh I will let it slide.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Kouta and Kaito have had fights where they go through all their forms twice over the past two episodes. While I liked this week's I hope they don't just do that again for the last fight.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Kouta and Kaito have had fights where they go through all their forms twice over the past two episodes. While I liked this week's I hope they don't just do that again for the last fight.

Isn't that normally a thing during the final battle just to showcase how strong the riders have gotten during the arc?

I remember Wizard doing it... I think hard to keep track with all the form changes and they all start to blend.

NeonZ

I remember Wizard doing it... I think hard to keep track with all the form changes and they all start to blend.

It doesn't help that Wizard kind of forgot to actually make the different form changes matter. The suit actor and director attempted to make land slower and stronger, but that never comes up in the script. Hurricane could fly, but otherwise they only changed the cg effects used for each one. There's a fighting scene in episode 52 where Wizard changes to all his basic forms, but only using melee attacks, no cg ones, and it's just really odd, in spite of the suit actor's efforts. The forms identities pretty much came from the cg color in the end.

WarRock

Gaim 45

Yoko's death
was terrible but
Zack went out like a boss
No corpse, no death )=

It doesn't help that Wizard kind of forgot to actually make the different form changes matter. The suit actor and director attempted to make land slower and stronger, but that never comes up in the script. Hurricane could fly, but otherwise they only changed the cg effects used for each one. There's a fighting scene in episode 52 where Wizard changes to all his basic forms, but only using melee attacks, no cg ones, and it's just really odd, in spite of the suit actor's efforts. The forms identities pretty much came from the cg color in the end.
See, that's why I really ended up really disliking Wizard - as I said before, I care more about the suits and the fights than the plot. Watch the first ~10 episodes.

Land was the unarmed form, he does frequent palm strikes and some small parry/locks before striking. Don't think he ever used the gun with Land in the middle of a choreagraphy, only for a finisher.

Flame was the balanced form, kicks + sword, usually using the gun at the start of the fight or for closing distance. When unarmed, he defaults to elbow instead of palm strikes.

Water was grappling and sword with some different swings. It was mostly used as a misdirection/counter form.

Wind never had a good direction, but was full sword IIRC, barely no kicks or gun.

Plus
, every element had a cardinal direction - watch Haruto's hand creating the magic ring/pentagram in different directions for each.

Then they throw all of this out for no reason and he just does the same acrobatics stunts (that never hit) and circular slashes every fight, with all forms. IIRC, it is completely abandoned in after episode 17 (yeah, I counted back then).

Corgi

Banned
its pretty much the same issue with all KR. besides the introductions and the rare eps, forms are used at random and ultimately become meaningless after the mid season upgrade, then the final form.

But they still need to change into them sometimes... because idk, those where in the front of the suit closet?

Like why is kouta wasting time in Flag mode?

its pretty much the same issue with all KR. besides the introductions and the rare eps, forms are used at random and ultimately become meaningless after the mid season upgrade, then the final form.

But they still need to change into them sometimes... because idk, those where in the front of the suit closet?

He needs to be like Kiva. Straight to Emperor Form, every goddamn time.

ReiGun

Storywise, Gaim getting access to all the weapons in Zenith mode makes sense, but yeah. Not having a form exclusive weapon sucks. Course, it probably spared us having another final form with a sword as a weapon. So there's that.

WarRock

That one time when Shouichi used Flame Form's super senses... just like Kouta with Jimber Peach (wait, he used that twice) and Eiji with Taka (in a movie, no less)!

I prefer that they keep using the multiple forms randomly than just spam a single one ('sup, CycloneJokerXtreme), but at least remember what each one is supposed to do.

javadoze

See, that's why I really ended up really disliking Wizard - as I said before, I care more about the suits and the fights than the plot. Watch the first ~10 episodes.

Land was the unarmed form, he does frequent palm strikes and some small parry/locks before striking. Don't think he ever used the gun with Land in the middle of a choreagraphy, only for a finisher.

Flame was the balanced form, kicks + sword, usually using the gun at the start of the fight or for closing distance. When unarmed, he defaults to elbow instead of palm strikes.

Water was grappling and sword with some different swings. It was mostly used as a misdirection/counter form.

Wind never had a good direction, but was full sword IIRC, barely no kicks or gun.

Plus
, every element had a cardinal direction - watch Haruto's hand creating the magic ring/pentagram in different directions for each.

Then they throw all of this out for no reason and he just does the same acrobatics stunts (that never hit) and circular slashes every fight, with all forms. IIRC, it is completely abandoned in after episode 17 (yeah, I counted back then).
Yeah, when Beast and the dragon forms came along, the nice fight choreography went out the window (though I thought the Dragon Timer brought some interesting uses with the clones). Aside from that, it bugs me when a show's team totally abandons trying to make a gimmick/widget interesting (especially when the WizarDriver could be used out-of-suit).

Kiva knew what was up. Of course, his defaulting to Emperor was probably helped along by the fact that his other forms sucked.

The real reason is the early Kiva suits were crazy heavy. Emperor Form was designed to be lighter and spread the weight evenly, so once Takaiwa had it, they stuck with it for the rest of the series.

WarRock

Yeah, when Beast and the dragon forms came along, the nice fight choreography went out the window (though I thought the Dragon Timer brought some interesting uses with the clones). Aside from that, it bugs me when a show's team totally abandons trying to make a gimmick/widget interesting (especially when the WizarDriver could be used out-of-suit).

And Beast never got unique styles for each animal... I pictured he doing lariats with Buffalo and crane style kicks with Hawk back then.

vareon

The real reason is the early Kiva suits were crazy heavy. Emperor Form was designed to be lighter and spread the weight evenly, so once Takaiwa had it, they stuck with it for the rest of the series.

Crazy to think of because how clunky Emperor form looks, hahah. But yeah I remember they mention Kiva is heavy on the net movies, and I imagine it's very top heavy.

BatDan

Come on Kicking Gingaman!
Ride on Riding Gingaman!

MFC released the first 25 episodes of Gingaman. See how Lost Galaxy somehow came to be.

WillyFive

Come on Kicking Gingaman!
Ride on Riding Gingaman!

MFC released the first 25 episodes of Gingaman. See how Lost Galaxy somehow came to be.

Lasted through 30 episodes of it already; not that much different to be honest, other than the better soundtrack and better choices for villain VO.

Top Bottom