• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

WillyFive

In my opinion, the idea of having the Legendary War be the finale was not even a good one. It's a good opener, and Megaforce building up to it Decade-style in it's first episode was good; but having all the Rangers teamup for a final battle alone isn't really a good finale, IMO. During the airing of Gokaiger a lot of people said they were disappointed that the show didn't end with a second Legendary War (I'm guessing Tzachor was one of them), but I think that as a good decision. Sure, it would have been a logical proportional response to the giant army that invaded the Earth....but it simply is too apathetic an ending to the story. The way that Gokaiger approached it was much better because it made it personal.

Gokaiger spoilers
Near the end of the show it became very unlikely that the Gokaigers would be able to defeat the army on their own. However, the ultimate treasure that the Gokaigers found gave them a Deus Ex Machina that would allow them to get rid of the Zangyacks forever, at the expense of having the veteran Rangers die along with them. The veteran Rangers even begged them to go this route, because although they would die, at least the universe would be free from the Zangyack. However, the Gokaigers didn't want to take that easy route; they had so much invested in taking down the Zangyack personally that they decided to throw away the treasure and do a Kamikaze-attack on the main ship. Their motivations were built upon all their established backstories in how they became pirates and orphans, and the final battle was so good because it was them giving their all to defeat Gills, despite constantly being kicked back and thrown to the ground. It revealed that the team that appeared to not care at all over the stuff they pirated were now ditching the treasure they hunted and decided to save and help those that cared for them.

Megaforce spoilers
But having the Megaforce rangers constantly defeat and humiliate the army and then have all their Ranger buddies join with them for the finale to kick more X-borgs has absolutely none of that. It's such a simplistic turn of events, "let's fight these guys, and then at the end more people fight these guys with us"; it's not building upon these characters, it's not building upon a universe, there is no conflict, no character development; all it is just arranging Sentai footage in order from "less Rangers" to "more Rangers".

A simple fight at the end is more emotionally resonant than just building up to an army of Rangers simply because the characters are the starring roles, instead of two hundred temp suit actors.

So Dino Charge red's actor posted this video of him training with the stunt crew. I'm liking this so far.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=292182054318310

*listens to music* Nice, a Sonic fan.

NeonZ

Gokaiger's finale was great for the season's main cast, but it made the past heroes look really bad.
Not only they failed and gave up, the Gokaiger then gives a lesson to them.

They still could have a personal connections and stakes in a battle involving all Super Sentai members by not making the army just a bunch of generic grunts. If there were unique antagonists there too and the main team took them on, while the past heroes handle the generic forces, you'd have an homage to them and also a personal threat to the main cast.

Even in Super Megaforce itself, they could make the battle look less one sided using those shots where various heroes are blown up, and easily could have added one new shot of Akudos/Mavro leading the army and transition to the Gokaiger final battle footage for the main team taking on Akudos at the end, rather than just making them take on a bunch of grunts in original American footage and that somehow ending the war.

Corgi

Banned
who was the final boss in super megaforce? I recall the prince was still around the last time i watched a few eps ago.

Did daddy not come in super megaforce?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
who was the final boss in super megaforce? I recall the prince was still around the last time i watched a few eps ago.

Did daddy not come in super megaforce?

Prince Vekar (Warz Gill) and Argus (Barizorg) get killed off in Episode 15
Vrak (Bladerun) returns in 16 and killed off in 17. His final form is "Prince Vrak"
Damaras is killed off in 18, Levira (Insarn) in 19.
Emperor Mavro (Ackdos Gill) is introduced in 18, and they fight him in the first half of the finale. He dies in the ship explosion.
The final battle, the Legend War, is literally just cleaning up the mooks. It's just as it was reported months ago.

In Power Rangers, Super Megaforce (Gokaiger) was a power up for Megaforce (Goseiger). They could have transformed midway through the battle, but the battle itself was disappointingly small anyway, mostly using footage from Gokaiger episode 1 (they didn't even include the new scenes shot for 199 Heroes, I guess they didn't bother licensing it). There likely wasn't enough time for that.

Considering how the battle ended though, they really should have thrown the footage of the Gokaiger on the ground vs Akudos there, rather than that American original footage of the Megaforce against grunts.

A anti-climatic disappointing battle to summarize these past two seasons. What a fail, I thought budget was higher this time around?

Well at least Dino Charge looks promising and honestly I feel like Saban will treat it more as an anniversary season then he did Megaforce.

Slayven

Damn Gaim, just damn. I need Drive to goofy as the fuck. Gaim was almsot too heavy

But how the hell does Kouta
end up with Mai when he was the only one that didn't want her?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
From the sounds of it, Drive might suffer "tough act to follow syndrome" considering all the reactions to Gaim.

Unless Riku Sanjo delivers all the glorious ham he put into Kyoryuger, then it will be awesome!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
FCfbwZF.jpg

WarRock

Corgi

Banned
lol super megaforce does sound pretty interesting in terms of war tactics.

We took out the leader, enemy forces are dwindling. Let's call our buddies and genocide the remaining folks.

Winners write the history books.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Damn, I usually watch the RAW of Gaim, but I'm going on blackout and waiting for the sub. Please come tonight!

But let me know this guys...would you compare it to the ending of OOO, or the ending of Kiva?

Would anyone mind if I start a Drive OT?

It'll probably die in a few weeks, but I think a new Kamen Rider by the W-guys will attract enough attention since that seems to be the one Kamen Rider series the majority of the internet recognizes.

Watch Da Birdie

Here it is!

I wish I could find a HQ, subbed version of the full trailer though to link to...

Pre-release Kamen Rider info is always a bit weird to organize because a lot of different sources have their own translation and such, but I feel I got the general gist down. Will spruce it up a bit once Drive airs in two weeks.

Actually, you don't think it's too early for one, do you?

WillyFive

Here it is!

I wish I could find a HQ, subbed version of the full trailer though to link to...

Pre-release Kamen Rider info is always a bit weird to organize because a lot of different sources have their own translation and such, but I feel I got the general gist down. Will spruce it up a bit once Drive airs in two weeks.

Actually, you don't think it's too early for one, do you?

One week is the GAF standard, yeah.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Not a big fan of most of the things that happened in that episode.

I like the idea of Micchy being a young crazy person that will later turn into an old crazy person, but then they take that away too.

Zack's actor sucks. That's not how crutches work.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Not a big fan of most of the things that happened in that episode.

I like the idea of Micchy being a young crazy person that will later turn into an old crazy person, but then they take that away too.

Zack's actor sucks. That's not how crutches work.

Why the hell was Zack on a crutch three months later, anyway? No broken bone takes that long to heal.

Kinda reinforces my theory that Zack's survival was a last-minute thing stemming from his popularity with the fangirls. Toei re-wrote Zack to survive, didn't have a place for him in the "three months later" epilogue, had to do something to show that he was banged up against Kaito, and put him on a crutch even though it made no sense a whole three months later.

Plus the preview shows him doing crazy spin-kicks (meaning he's obviously not permanently crippled or anything), so ???????

Why the hell was Zack on a crutch three months later, anyway? No broken bone takes that long to heal.

Kinda reinforces my theory that Zack's survival was a last-minute thing stemming from his popularity with the fangirls. Toei re-wrote Zack to survive, didn't have a place for him in the "three months later" epilogue, had to do something to show that he was banged up against Kaito, and put him on a crutch even though it made no sense a whole three months later.

Plus the preview shows him doing crazy spin-kicks (meaning he's obviously not permanently crippled or anything), so ???????

Was the finale that good that this is what people are complaining about?

WillyFive

In all seriousness,
the ending for Kouta and Mai just seemed weird and in-compelling, but the ending for Micchy was absolutely perfect.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Melon better appear next week. I'm going to guess that the Kiwami that shows up in the preview along side Micchy is just Micchy imagining ghosts again. Excpet it's for good or whatever a la Goku showing up to shoot beams with Gohan

javadoze

In all seriousness,
the ending for Kouta and Mai just seemed weird and in-compelling, but the ending for Micchy was absolutely perfect.

Am I alone in thinking that there was not much (or any at all) romantic connotations to Kouta and Mai throughout the series? It seems that Micchy was really the only one who harbored romantic feelings for her and whenever questioning Kouta and Mai about it, they both seem pretty resolute on being friends.

Totally called Takatora being alive, though. However, I wish it wasn't done so abruptly. In fact, that's pretty much the thing with some of the finale episodes for me: the pacing could've been pulled off a bit more eloquently.

On things that I do like from the finale: the fact that they finally had AcornMan acknowledge Hase's death in some way was great, Zack staying alive is always a good thing, and the scene where Micchy is a total loner was great.

Inb4 it turns out Kouta and Mai are actually the Presenters from Fourze.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
This was the last episode written by Butcher. Next week will probably have something like Kouta returning and giving up all his power so he can appear in future crossover movies nicely.

Butcher has a supervision credit for next week, though. He's not entirely out of the picture. And regardless, canon is canon, regardless of who's writing it. And it's pretty clearly canon judging by what we know about it now.

NeonZ

Melon better appear next week. I'm going to guess that the Kiwami that shows up in the preview along side Micchy is just Micchy imagining ghosts again. Excpet it's for good or whatever a la Goku showing up to shoot beams with Gohan

Well, he's holding Gaim's sword at one point of the preview. That'd make no sense if it weren't real. Besides, It has to be the real Kouta otherwise there's no way anyone left would beat an Apple Rider.

Also, the Toei site has a picture of
Man of Beginning Kouta back on Earth next episode and Micchy never even saw him before

Zack for Movie Wars!
...I want Oren/Bravo to come back

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Gaim's summer movie coming out on dvd Nov 7th, way earlier than usual for KR summer movies. Toqger's comes out a month later in the usual spot which makes non sense to me when they were a double feature.

jwk94

How did Hase die again? And I thought this was the finale? Wasn't next week supposed to be the crossover or something?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
How did Hase die again? And I thought this was the finale? Wasn't next week supposed to be the crossover or something?

Hase ate a Helheim fruit and turned into an Invess, then got killed by Sid.

And again, next week isn't a crossover or AU. People were speculating that it would be. There was never any confirmation.

WillyFive

A Pretty Panda said:
Toqger's comes out a month later in the usual spot which makes non sense to me when they were a double feature.

Especially when they are making people get a 30 minute long movie by itself.

Watch Da Birdie

Not sure how I feel about this Ending yet...

Kamen Rider has never been good with endings (OOO and Fourze were the only ones that totally satisfied me), but it certainly was better than, say, NEO-FANGIRE PAPA!)

It was really trippy to watch while drunk, I'll say that.

Top Bottom