• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

Defuser

Golden long hair, silver clothing....Kouta has become a master race, hope he has a powerful gaming rig on that new planet of his.

The Kouta x Mai feels kinda strange in the end, maybe in the beginning it felt more natural but then it went on and it's cast expanded with Mai getting less screentime and less interaction with Kouta not to mention more interaction with Kaito, it went more forced.

I can't believe in over a year Gaim went from cringe worthy dancing/pokemon battles to game of thrones backstabbing/plotting. Who would've thought a theme revolving around fruits would be so interesting?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Micchy got me good, though. Gotta say, in the end, he really was the heart of the show for better or worse.

NeonZ

If Kouta comes back in order to star in future crossovers, would that be worse than Philip coming back to life?

I don't think they'd need to undo this episode, just show that he can pop up on when necessary. It'll be just kind of odd to see this Kouta jobbing to random villains in later after the next Movie Wars (where he likely only will be dealing with the crossover super boss).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Looks like Banana learned to use his spear as a spear. Okay ending. At least it's not as bad as some of the others would predict.

Wait was that Kaito in the next ep preview?

Drive protagonist reminds me of Phoenix Wright for some odd reason.

WarRock

Yeah, I am reserving my judgment about the ending until next episode then. Liked how 46 was done, but not sure if that should have been the last scene.

I mean, it's important, but it felt a bit anticlimactic... but still is better than the clusterfuck that was OOO's ending.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah, I am reserving my judgment about the ending until next episode then. Liked how 46 was done, but not sure if that should have been the last scene.

I mean, it's important, but it felt a bit anticlimactic... but still is better than the clusterfuck that was OOO's ending.

Um...what?

I thought the OOO ending was perfect. It was so good, in fact, that a certain anime ripped off of its ending recently for its own...

javadoze

I thought it was a bit weird in this episode of Gaim that they kind of
betray the message by DJ Sagara in the Triumphant Arms debut about not submitting the the harsh rules of reality. With the power of the forbidden fruit, why not just destroy Sagara/Helheim and the brutal cycle that results from the battle?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
watching the ending, theres two things im dissapointed with

sagara not being the final enemy. being the embodiment of satan, and knowing that he thrives off chaos, you would think that kouta would try to end the suffering. and the jouno worrying about hase. he was gone for a long time, and he just starts worrying about him?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
l5l4G3l.png

It's funny they mention this, because I've totally played through missions in this game before while listening to that show's theme song.

vareon

Finally got to watch Gaim. Man, I'm going to miss this. The last battle was fierce.

I'll count this as Urobuchi's real ending, and next week is whatever continuity management wanted to put. Lol at Kouta's king costume being a mishmash and repaint of a lot of things, though.

First weeks of Drive will be painful as we're not warming up to him and still misses the old cast.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
watching the ending, theres two things im dissapointed with

sagara not being the final enemy. being the embodiment of satan, and knowing that he thrives off chaos, you would think that kouta would try to end the suffering. and the jouno worrying about hase. he was gone for a long time, and he just starts worrying about him?

From what I gathered
he isn't Satan at all but another entity all together. I think someone in /m/ got it right. Forgot the name of the serpent.

NeonZ

I don't think Sagara as Demiurge works well. Demiurge is like the Overlord of Darkness from Agito - attempting to stop and fearing human evolution, trying to keep humanity in the same shell that was given to them by him. Sagara's the exact opposite.
I don't see why attempt to go against what the show says he is. Even when he quotes the bible in the end, he says that it's not really his position to say that.

The difference though is that to the Japanese see the serpent as just another mythological figure, not necessarily the source of all evil. Still, the problem with Kouta letting him go is regarding his actions and nature in the context of Gaim, not just the mythological reference.
He started this whole battle due to believing that sacrifices were unacceptable, but now he accepts Helheim's continued existence, and he's fine with it as long as future sacrifices aren't on Earth?

It was literally the Kiwami Arms suit with a silver repaint of the Orange Arms chest armor and a cape.

It's actually Kurokage's chest armor.

Not sure how I feel about this Ending yet...

Kamen Rider has never been good with endings (OOO and Fourze were the only ones that totally satisfied me), but it certainly was better than, say, NEO-FANGIRE PAPA!)

It was really trippy to watch while drunk, I'll say that.

It felt a little rough, as the main thrust of the show - Kouta/Kaito - was mostly dealt with in the last episode. This felt like the epilogue episode. An extended episode 45 would've been very satisfying.

45 was like W's penultimate episode or OOO and Fourze's final episodes, directly dealing with and finish the main conflict. 46 was just clean up.

Yuya wasn't revived. :(

And no one cares.

People are talking about the cape, but the closeup of Kaito's sword? That was struggle. Shit looked like bad cosplay close up.

jwk94

Super Mega 14

So Professor Cog returns with some grinders, traps the rangers in Corinth who "tame" the Turbo Falcon Zord while Cog fights The Armada. Meanwhile, the rangers complain that they're trapped in Corinth....home of the RPG rangers....and they can't figure out what to do. Are they stupid?

ReiGun

I hope next episode doesn't have Kouta lose his powers. I kind of like the idea of having one rider be an immortal space god among a teacher, some detectives, a wizard, a couple drifters, etc.

shaowebb

The series with Fruit themed samurai and dancing may have turned out to be the best written Rider show to date. It defies everything I had previously even considered possible for the show back when it was announced during Wizard. Finale episode was amazing and the whole series was paced and characterized so well that its changed my outlook on what is possible.

Good characterization, pacing, and well thought subtext and idealogy for such characters to represent in a drama can carry ANY theme. Gaim is one of the legends now.

WarRock

Um...what?

I thought the OOO ending was perfect. It was so good, in fact, that a certain anime ripped off of its ending recently for its own...

Besides almost everything from the last arc coming out of nowhere, the final two episodes felt more like mid season episodes to me. Only thing that felt climatic was the whole Ankh situation.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
ToQger 29

Yeaaaah... wanting Schwartz to turn good would be too much. He's really just another "alliance" a/la Boukenger.
Good to know that Hyper Express can be used by everyone else and not just Right. Red-only power-ups are dumb.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Gaim season finale thoughts:

In all seriousness,
the ending for Kouta and Mai just seemed weird and in-compelling, but the ending for Micchy was absolutely perfect.

Am I alone in thinking that there was not much (or any at all) romantic connotations to Kouta and Mai throughout the series? It seems that Micchy was really the only one who harbored romantic feelings for her and whenever questioning Kouta and Mai about it, they both seem pretty resolute on being friends.

A "Kouta and Mai" couple
made more sense at the beginning. All in all, I didn't really like the portrayal of Mai in the entire series as a "love interest": Micchy was the only one that had real feelings towards Mai (maybe because they were actually the same age?), but it evolved into stalker-crazy-person status (mostly because of Micchy's own fault, by never acting on it). Kouta seemed to like her at first, but quickly dismissed it on (what I interpreted as) age difference - people would drop hints left and right about how Mai and Kouta were together in the first couple of episodes, and Kouta would say that things like "it's not like that", but that went away fast with Kouta wanting to "grow up", looking for jobs and leaving the dance group. Kaito only wanted her
when she became the host for the Forbidden Fruit, quite literally saying things like "I like you for you, but I'll do anything to have you and the power contained within you"
. Kaito only seemed to have actual feelings for Yoko.

And in the end,
Mai didn't have a say to which man would get her as a side-prize. Kouta and Kaito literally had a fight and the winner got Mai as a bonus prize, along the main prize (the Forbidden Fruit and it's power). She didn't even demonstrated a preference for either of them - she just said she prefers Kouta's future, not Kouta himself.

Would she give the Fruit to Kaito if he won, even though they don't have any romantic bond and she doesn't believe in his future? I thought that the whole thing about Roshuo being the king of Hellheim was because their version of the Woman of the Beginning believed in his plan. Sure, they sidestep this issue by having the person with her vision of the future win the fight, but the fact that there was a fight in the first place and the winner would get her and the power no matter what is all kinds of messed up. Could she just have said "no" if she wanted to? Then what was the fight all about?

Having a woman deciding to make two men fight and siding with the winner is one thing. Having a third party say "hey, you two, fight. The winner gets her and all the power she's protecting!" is , like I said, all kinds of messed up
and, unless I missed something along the lines, that's exactly what happened.

I've been reading about some female portrayal in media (mostly reading about Kojima and "GamerGate") and this is exactly the kind of thing that people complain about.

And since we are on the subject, having Yoko wanting to serve the ruler of the world, whoever may he be, is messed up as well.

Yuya wasn't revived. :(

For a second,
when Kouta emerged from eating the Forbidden Fruit, I thought it was going to be Yuuya. The white hair threw me off badly

I still liked the episode and I really hope we get some Melon Arms the next two episodes.
He is alive, after all.

Edit: I don't remember what's the tenure on discussing an episode that has already aired and was already translated, so I added some spoiler tags.

NeonZ

Would she give the Fruit to Kaito if he won, even though they don't have any romantic bond and she doesn't believe in his future?

Rewatch the episode, when she's talking with Sagara. Even though she seems to favor Kouta, she also considers Kaito's choice too and believed in his intentions. She hadn't absolutely decided either way.

I don't think Kaito's feelings for her are only tied to the fruit either. He outright says that he wanted her and the fruit. Also, before this last arc, Kaito often went out of his way to talk with and understand her, something he isn't shown doing for anyone else. Meanwhile, I don't see from where you get that he had romantic feelings for Yoko. the only thing he acknowledged regarding Yoko in these episodes was that "You're Yoko", when asked how he'd act if she had the fruit. That just seemed like a "nice" way to not outright deny her right before her death.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Rewatch the episode, when she's talking with Sagara. Even though she seems to favor Kouta, she also considers Kaito's choice too and believed in his intentions. She hadn't absolutely decided either way.

I really did miss that part. It makes more sense then, specially when Kouta says that Kaito had the right idea in mind, he just went at it the wrong way.

I don't think Kaito's feelings for her are only tied to the fruit either. He outright says that he wanted her and the fruit. Also, before this last arc, Kaito often went out of his way to talk with and understand her, something he isn't shown doing for anyone else.

You're not wrong, but that really felt weird and that it came out of nowhere. If we had the complete Kaito backstory (that parts of it were posted here being translated from somewhere, how they all went to school together at different grades, so on and so forth) that could probably make more sense. I want to say that he knew she was part of the family that owned the shrine with the tree, while she didn't know/remember him from before, but I could be wrong - it's been a while.

Meanwhile, I don't see from where you get that he had romantic feelings for Yoko. the only thing he acknowledged regarding Yoko in these episodes was that "You're Yoko", when asked how he'd act if she had the fruit. That just seemed like a "nice" way to not outright deny her right before her death.

It seemed he had them (or at least she had them), but it was never exploited in the series. I guess it could be interpreted both ways.

Long story short: Boy it would've been nice if we had more character exposure.

WarRock

My biggest problem is that from the first episode we were led to believe that you defeat everybody else, you get the Fruit.

That's it.

But then suddenly the Fruit MUST be put inside a woman and when a winner is decided she gives the Fruit to him. Why? Is she obligated to? If she has the power of the Fruit, isn't she the winner, after all? What's the point of having a couple, if everything about the war is about individual ideologies and motivations?

My biggest problem is that from the first episode we were led to believe that you defeat everybody else, you get the Fruit.

That's it.

But then suddenly the Fruit MUST be put inside a woman and when a winner is decided she gives the Fruit to him. Why? Is she obligated to? If she has the power of the Fruit, isn't she the winner, after all? What's the point of having a couple, if everything about the war is about individual ideologies and motivations?

Basically, we need a sequel where the Woman of the Beginning keeps the Fruit of Knowledge.

jwk94

Looking back at that thread, Megaforce had a much better reception than Super Mega here. Back then we at least discussed the episodes now it's more hate than discussion.

I'm not sure if it's confirmed, but if they do keep them, they better do some killer character progression, especially for Noah.

This is pretty funny in retrospect.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Looking back at that thread, Megaforce had a much better reception than Super Mega here. Back then we at least discussed the episodes now it's more hate than discussion.

This is pretty funny in retrospect.

Megaforce didn't actively fuck continuity in the face.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I would be fine with a "a person who the winner cares about will bear the Fruit" explanation from the start.

but why? in the end, neither could care about her, and the outcome would be the same. i dont think the snake cares about the emotions of the players, but that they play their roles.

Top Bottom