• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

NeonZ

but why? in the end, neither could care about her, and the outcome would be the same. i dont think the snake cares about the emotions of the players, but that they play their roles.

I think they only were in the race for the fruit due to their ties to her though. Look at Ryoma. He was never in the race in spite of being almost the last man standing at one point, and lasting longer than Micchy at least. Mitsuzane counted as one of the three candidates in spite of falling before quite a few other people who aren't considered candidates. Sagara even thanks her for pointing out the chosen ones after she tries to warn them in the past.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ole! Ole! Ole! Ohrangaaaaaaa!

MFC has started work on Ohranger (first 8 episodes are up).

WarRock

but why? in the end, neither could care about her, and the outcome would be the same. i dont think the snake cares about the emotions of the players, but that they play their roles.

Because the Woman is a element that never existed until the endgame, has an at least questionable role and in the end didn't affect the plot at all? (Talking specifically about the role of the Woman of the Beginning here, not about Mai.)

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Because the Woman is a element that never existed until the endgame, has an at least questionable role and in the end didn't affect the plot at all? (Talking specifically about the role of the Woman of the Beginning here, not about Mai.)

the apple itself didnt either. they were both introduced at same time.

WarRock

Hm, no? The Apple is something that always was present in the narrative, and the final object to conquer, the Ultimate Boon of the series.

The Woman of the Beginning could be a lot of archetypes, but ultimately it ended up just an excuse to the winner of the war to have a girl by the side. To justify her presence, the writing staff made the woman itself to have-slash-be the Boon without a rhyme or reason.

Both "NotMai" and Roshio's queen never were foreshadowed as the bearers of the Fruit.
And in the end, the fact that a bearer is needed and has access to the Fruit's powers, but still has to give it to the winner is a huge incoherence. We keep being told that whoever has it has the ultimate power, can alter reality itself to fit its own image. But no, somehow, every time the Helheim ordeal happens,
the old King, or maybe Sagara itself, in some cases
has to find a woman "worthy" to to receive such power just so she can give it to whoever kills everybody else in the planet, instead of just using it like the winner will.

And that was never alluded or foreshadowed at all. It reeks of last minute change on the script.

@Drive
"Ride on yourself"? Hahaha. And this pleases me:

A new interview with Drive’s producer Omori reveals more about the episode structure. While each case will be standalone, there may be some sort of connection that leads into another case for the Special Unit to investigate and solve. Since there are 108 Roimyudo, at least 1 Roimyudo will be defeated per episode.

WOW at Chase's suit.

vareon

Still unsure of Drive's structure. The "each case is meant to be solved in a single episode" implies they're going for weekly episode arcs instead of two parters? And I doubt 108 Roimyudos will be unique since making 108 designs and costumes is lunatic. Nice change from Gaim's hilariously low variety of Invess, though.

Parallax

Hm, no? The Apple is something that always was present in the narrative, and the final object to conquer, the Ultimate Boon of the series.

The Woman of the Beginning could be a lot of archetypes, but ultimately it ended up just an excuse to the winner of the war to have a girl by the side. To justify her presence, the writing staff made the woman itself to have-slash-be the Boon without a rhyme or reason.

Except the apple wasnt apart of the orginal narrative. Before the apple was introduced, the plot of gaim was to stop the helheim invasion or having the strength to make the hard choice. We were aware of the lady in white long before the apple was an idea. In the au aspect at the beginning of the series, she even seems to be a construct that made 3 factions form to claim her. She(mai) has always been a tool in some way shape or form that people have tried to protect. its the apple thats the new addition to the mix. Whether you feel its degrading for a woman to be a prize to be won, i wont argue that. But the battle over her was a long time coming, its just they gave her cosmic stakes near the end.

javadoze

Mashin Chaser seems like a pretty busy design close up, but I get what they were going for (mostly waiting to see it in motion before judging it). They seem to want him be a kinda-but-not-really Kamen Rider and whatnot with the one Rider-esque eye but mostly Roidmyuudo-inspired design (right down to not having a belt).

That said, the designs of Brain and Heart are also pretty good (loving the giant brain on, er, Brain).

Also, I guess we weren't that far off from a Crazy Taxi crossover after all?

NeonZ

In some early episodes, we see Sid, Ryoma and Sagara mentioning a "Helheim's chosen one", and how no one had been chosen yet. However, the golden apple itself only was directly introduced alongside Roshuo. Sagara's initial explanation about the overlords to Kouta didn't even mention one above the others that was responsible for turning their world into that.

Edit: Also, although not directly related, in Sengoku Battle, Bujin Gaim talked about having to defeat the other Bujin and then meet the "priestess" to receive the ultimate power. The movie itself never elaborated on that at all, but looking back - it might all have been foreshadowing for the battle for the Golden Fruit. Bujin Gaim himself seems to be an overlord before Overlords were introduced in the tv show (could control helheim plants, open cracks and control the monsters created from Helheim's power).

javadoze

Edit: Also, although not directly related, in Sengoku Battle, Bujin Gaim talked about having to defeat the other Bujin and then meet the "priestess" to receive the ultimate power. The movie itself never elaborated on that at all, but looking back - it might all have been foreshadowing for the battle for the Golden Fruit. Bujin Gaim himself seems to be an overlord before Overlords were introduced in the tv show (could control helheim plants, open cracks and control the monsters created from Helheim's power).

Funny how that movie war segment was essentially a microcosm of the TV plot.

BatDan

*sees scans for future ToQger events*

They show the president of the Rainbow Line. He's a bunny. They also confirm that the Bunny Pres turned the ToQgers from children to adults. Confirming what we all figured out many episodes ago.

Parallax

They show the president of the Rainbow Line. He's a bunny. They also confirm that the Bunny Pres turned the ToQgers from children to adults. Confirming what we all figured out many episodes ago.

if youre serious, fucking dropped.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

...wait, it has a
president
?!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I had a dream that some Old Sentai team from the 70s or 80s had the Red Leader be a Kamen Rider, with full on Rider Attacks on the group attack - In that dream, every member would do a sequential attack, and the Red member attack would start the sequence and he would just say "Rider Slash" and attack, and the other members would say non-rider themed attacks, as they were not Kamen Riders.

His henshin form wasn't different from the other members, with the same style clothing - Only difference is that his helmet had bug-like characteristics (some antennae and his visor reminded you of bug eyes, drive-like, but was still black like the other members') - Same way how ToQger helmets are all the same style, but different "train" cabins. His was just bug themed, but not that different.

...I think he was driving riding a bike at some point, while the other members weren't.

Damn, that's a good song. I enjoy the character songs where the actors sing them.

I don't know if this is all a reaction to "omg gaim is so guuuud" on my part, but I think the songs are great as well. Even Kouta's "ey ey ohhhh" song. It's really catchy.

The fact that they sing well also helps.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
bVZoJhr.gif

shaowebb

Lets see...I'm on Faiz ep 20, waiting for Gaim ep 47 finale, about to start drive and since I lost the playlist app for my tablet I'm still around ep 3 on Kuuga.

One day, I'll eventually make it to Ryuki. I watched all of Dragon Knight and its what made me curious about Riders in general. From there I went Decade, W, OOO's, Kabuto, Blade, Wizard, Fourze, Gaim. Helluva ride...looking forward to eventually being caught up on all the Heisei stuff. So I can eventually try out Kamen Rider Black.

BatDan

Super Megaforce 12

First off, screw you Nickelodeon. The rest of the season has already aired in other countries, and you're forcing legit viewers to wait until the end of November for this crap to end. You seriously need a major reshuffle in management. Isn't that right Korra?

Anyway, this episode... surprised at the amount of original footage used. Including the new set for the Megazord innards.
Though I still question the point of keeping the Goseiger suits... sure Emma used the wind card to make the kite fly, but what's the overall point? Besides having to use stock footage for Vrak in a few episodes... Seriously, his death in the first half should have been what set off the invasion (if you were so dead set on doing this hybrid garbage).
Am I the only one that finds it weird they have two communicators on them? Both morphers can be used as phones. Who walks around with two cell phones? Besides meth manufacturers leading a double life.
By the way, was this the first PR episode to do Sentai girl costume changes?

Anywho, body swap episode next week.

javadoze

So scans for Kamen Rider Drive's other shift cars are out.

What's up with Shift Dream Vegas? It looks okay with one wheel but three is a bit much. Also, I love the fact one of his weapons is just a car grill he whacks enemies with.

Wonder how the future Type
Technique and Type Wild (and Type Fruit?) are going to look.
Hope they don't mess with the nice streamlined design of the Drive suit with these.

Overall, it seems KR Drive has some pretty nice designs across the board.

What's up with American tv schedule anyway? This stuff I only notice in US.

Nick is all over the board these days. Korra they ran on TV with no fanfare, then they moved the latter half of the season to online-only and now they're running season 4 next week. TMNT had a huge hiatus between the two-part season finale and the episodes before it; the season finale ran Friday, but the opener for Season 3 is next week. And then the Super Megaforce stuff. They're weird for some reason.

WillyFive

ToQ 30

This show is absurd, but not in a way that saves it.

Gaim Finale Again

This episode didn't add anything that the previous episode didn't already imply. Obviously a filler episode until Drive starts next week, and an opportunity to advertise the movie merchandise again.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Gaim Finale Again

This episode didn't add anything that the previous episode didn't already imply. Obviously a filler episode until Drive starts next week, and an opportunity to advertise the movie merchandise again.

It gave us closure for a lot of characters, though. Jounouchi finally learned what happened to Hase, Kaito got his closure, Micchy got his redemption, and Kouta's sister got a nice closure scene as well.

And sure, some of that may have been implied last episode, but this is a kids show. Implication isn't good enough. Gotta spell that shit out. I'm not saying that's a hard rule for tokusatsu, but I can see why they'd do it.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Toq 30
Hyrulian Chickens save the day. :/

Gaim final
Gonna miss this show! Extended drive trailer was fun though. I have the utmost faith we won't be running into another kyoryuger->toqyuger situation.

Also they started airing these really awful ToqOu commercials where they try and pretend kids can bond with their fathers with ToqOu because trains. They play these outside of Super Hero time and they are so low budget and the premise itself is just lame.

On that note, once again, this year we won Aeon's Super Sentai sweepstakes. I feel like I should go buy a lottery ticket or something. Anyway, this year we got Safarigao, the ToqOu color variation that transforms into a lion from the movie (last year we got Plezuou). I can't believe they sell this fucking thing for over 70 dollars. It it's small, barely moves, no sounds, no lights--the only thing it has going for it is that the build quality is a little nicer than the kyoryuger toys.

The real fucked up thing about the ToQ toys is that any other Train toy made in this country worth a damn has a small motor in them so they can be used on tracks, and none of the ToQ toys do. If you're gonna make train toys and charge an arm and a leg for em, you GOTTA at least have a motor. They barely cost anything to make and it would at least give kids something else to do with the toys other than breaking them down and putting them back together over and over.

Blech.

WillyFive

Yeah, the ToQger trains never stop being awful any time I start looking at them.

And I've been watching Faiz too, and I just got to episode 15; which is when I first started noticing the complaints people had with this show. None of the conflict in this episode would have happened if the characters simply TALKED TO ONE ANOTHER. There is no explanation for this other than stubborn writing.

yami4ct

Kamen Rider Den-O (Through 26)

My 3rd attempt at watching this show and it finally clicked with me. When Den-O really clicks, it's such an entertaining show. The comedic sense with DenLiner Conductor and Taros is incredible. I'm really liking how the show is building to a big payoff with the movie coming up. I really do wish modern Rider shows better integrated their films instead of them being weird cross-over clusterfucks like they now pretty much always are. It's been nice to have a lighter Rider show to watch. Also nice to have female characters that are actually characters with their own goals and motivations and not just objects to further the male characters' storylines (*cough* Gaim *cough*)

Ryutaros is still just awful, though. Too bad Gun Form's awesomeness had to be ruined by being tied to him.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Nick is all over the board these days. Korra they ran on TV with no fanfare, then they moved the latter half of the season to online-only and now they're running season 4 next week. TMNT had a huge hiatus between the two-part season finale and the episodes before it; the season finale ran Friday, but the opener for Season 3 is next week. And then the Super Megaforce stuff. They're weird for some reason.

Even CN has this weird shit, with episodes airing first in other countries.

Top Bottom