• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

Rajack

Gaim 47 (Final)

Well it had to end some time I guess. Still sad to see what turned out to be the greatest Heisei KR show ever end.

vareon

Gaim

And the epilogue was a pretty harmless story just to show that life goes on in Zawame. And so, what I consider to be the best post-decade Heisei series has ended. Is it the best Heisei? I'll not some time to think of that. But Gaim ranks pretty high on the list. Thank you, Takebe and Urobuchi and whoever else desired Gaim to be different from the start. It's one hell of a show.

Now, Drive, TBH Drive looks like the better post-Decade series. I'm sure it'll be a fun ride. Or drive. Bring it on!

Pluto

I really loved the Gaim finale, toku shows often wrap up the final battle early in the final episode and have time to properly say goodbye to the characters but having an entire epilogue episode is awesome. I disagree that it was filler, having the main story out of the way allowed it to focus on the characters much more especially the ones sidelined during the Kouta/Kaito confrontation.

It was a great series but not the best post Decade, that's still W in my opinion, Fourze and Gaim share the second place.

javadoze

Pretty amazing that Neo-Heisei Rider shows have been good for the most part, sure, there's a stinker there (Wizard), but we have two amazing shows (Double and Gaim), and two alright shows that are borderline for people (OOO and Fourze).

You really can't say the same for Heisei Rider. Most of the shows there are primarily mixed bags or being outright bad (aside from Kuuga and Agito, judging by fan consensus).

Anyways, the Drive Driver sounds like fun and I can't wait to see its sentience in action.

Farewell Gaim.

EDIT: Had a brain fart in the first line.

WillyFive

Super Megaforce "Everyone Look at Emma recreating the Abaranger tribute episode" episode

It was fun, but the writers could have at least bothered to get the Dino Thunder roll call right.

but we have two amazing shows (Double and Fourze), and two alright shows that are borderline for people (OOO and Fourze).

What?

WarRock

Man, the kaijin design for Drive is great. One of the silhouettes for Drive's movie forms looks like Megaman/Megaman.EXE O=

Was not expecting the car to have multiple forms too; it's looking more and more like W.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Super Megaforce "Everyone Look at Emma recreating the Abaranger tribute episode" episode

It was fun, but the writers could have at least bothered to get the Dino Thunder roll call right.

This seems to be another issue with SMF. Instead of using the PR names, they just translate the Sentai terms.
Like at the end of the fight when Troy as DT Red uses Super Dino Mode, he calls it "Dino Rampage". Or "Abare'.

javadoze

Gaim 47

Nice fulfilling episode, lot's of nice character interactions that gave more resolution to some side characters.
In particular, I thought Micchy's redemption worked well. It doesn't hurt we also have a nice lower-stakes teamup in there.
Though I just remembered that
the recent tradition of segueing into the next series by including a character and widget from that show into a scene wasn't done this time, sadly.
An otherwise good cap on the series.
Yes, I was baffled by the turn of events in episode 46, but for some reason, the finale made things easier to digest. I actually really love the ending now.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to DRIVE THE KAMEN RIDER.

(Commercials featuring the successive show never fail to crack me up. One moment we're having emotionally satisfying scenes and resolutions, and then there's these assholes over here talking about cars or something.)

jwk94

BatDan

Man, that Gaim finale was really really good. I'm gonna miss that show. What originally looked like the dumbest Kamen Rider season turned out to be one of the best if not the best to me. Drive has some huge shoes to fill.

Still mad we won't get a Gobusters season here.

The closest we'll probably get to Go-Busters is if Super Sentai DVDs are successful enough to get to that point. Staring from Zyuranger though... it's going to be a LONG time.

Or they make them part of the Dino Charge toyline. Like a couple episodes it will showcase the "Spec-Ops Rangers" taking care of a monster in another city that the Dino Charge Rangers can't get to.

I got to ask Austin St. John today what it was like to meet Yuuta Mochizuki. He mentioned that he's now communicating with him via e-mail and wants to try to visit him in Japan.

Gaim's been one hell of a ride but its time to DRIVE THE KAMEN RIDER now!

Don't honestly think that was the epilogue the show needed seeing as we could've got a bit more story in trade but everything's cool until the movie where we hopefully get some actual resolution. Can't wait for the DC of 45-46 though!

Thank You, Gaim!

208gui0jpg.gif

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The closest we'll probably get to Go-Busters is if Super Sentai DVDs are successful enough to get to that point. Staring from Zyuranger though... it's going to be a LONG time.

Or they make them part of the Dino Charge toyline. Like a couple episodes it will showcase the "Spec-Ops Rangers" taking care of a monster in another city that the Dino Charge Rangers can't get to.

i really hope they dont try to make the gobusters DC line characters. they should be au characters that the DC rangers assist

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wait, did we just get
a time travel ending with those kids?

oh wait nvm they're just lookalikes

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
There's a new Kuuga manga coming out soon, written by our favourite tokusatsu writer,
Toshiki Inoue
. I can hardly wait.

Reminder.

Spoilers for the Kamen Rider Ryuki novel has surfaced online and just like most Kamen Rider novels, this take place in an alternate universe. The novel was released last August 30 and written by Toshiki Inoue and Naohiro Okamura, with Inoue as the editor for the novels.

Ryuki, Knight, Zolda, Ouja and Femme are the main Riders. Imperer, Raia and Scissors are mentioned but die literally immediately and their human forms are unnamed. Shinji kills Imperer in the novel and doesn't regret it. Shinji is a jack of all trades, Ren and Yui are friends with benefits. Even if that is the case, he is still with Eri. Kitaoka has Alzheimer's disease while his "butler", Goro has his mouth sown shut with a golden wire and can't speak.

Unlike the original TV series and movies, they don't use cards to transform. They transform with an emblem in front of a mirror and jump straight into the Mirror World. Apart from everything is mirrored, there is no sound in the Mirror World. In the novel, they are not called Masked Riders, but instead they are called Masked Contractors. Asakura is said to be the embodiment of your standard Toshiki Inoue written jerks. He kills his own mother when he's seven days old.

Just like in the movie, Femme asked Shinji to pretend to be her boyfriend, they end up dating for real and have sex. Lastly, the novel still follows the same Battle Royale struture with the ending nearly identical to the TV series.

"Spoilers for the Kamen Rider Fourze novel has surfaced online, this take place in an alternate universe. The novel was released December 30 and written by Toshiki Inoue and Naohiro Okamura, with Inoue as the editor for the novels.

The basic plot remains the same, except much more condensed and many of the minor students such as Cancer and Aquarius are referenced simply as students who have awoken as Horoscopes. In addition to using Amanogawa as a testing ground for Zodiart Switches, Gamou is involved in human trafficking. Sonoda and Kou are former child slaves who suffer Stockholm syndrome, Hayami is a sexual predator who goes after younger students. Emoto is the true villain who manipulates both sides and turns into "Cosmic Libra" in the finale by absorbing all the Zodiarts and wishes to ascend to Godhood, due to suffering from gender identity issues which caused him to isolate himself.

The Kamen Rider Club are much more dysfunctional than in the show, with Gentarou being the only character who stays basically the same, except he does not try and befriend the villains. Ryusei is an Anti-Human Trafficking agent who was a child slave himself who grew up working for Chicago gangs, which gave him a love of disco, and is Sonoda's long-lost brother as they were separated when they were kidnapped. Ohsugi is absent from the novel. Kengo is deaf, mute, and blind and must use a computer to communicate with others, with Yuki being his chaperon. She often relieves herself by masturbating with a scale model of the Challenger. JK and Tomoko are dating and are on the fringe of the school system, barely showing up for school and have multiple disciplinary problems. Miu suffers from anorexia and cuts herself with Burgermeal at one point as the other cheerleaders run a smear campaign focusing on her weight. Shun has issues with his father like in the show, and at one point takes advantage of and rapes the Powerdizer."

NeonZ

That Fourze book summary is just a bad joke. There's no Inoue Fourze. The Fourze novel was written by Hideaki Tsukada, Fourze's producer, and it takes place after the show's ending, in the tv continuity. It's not a reimagination.

WillyFive

That Fourze book summary is just a bad joke. There's no Inoue Fourze. The Fourze novel was written by Hideaki Tsukada, Fourze's producer, and it takes place after the show's ending, in the tv continuity. It's not a reimagination.

Probably shows how suspectable this fandom is to hearsay.

jwk94

Super Mega 16

Wow, Vrak captured Orion to drain his life force for his "master plan". Wow this also caused the Ranger Keys to turn to stone. This is some good writing.

So Vrak uses Orion's power to turn him into his final form, allowing him to use the elemental powers.

Rangers try to go Super Mega but they find out Vrak disabled it.

Wow, Vrak's using Orion's six ranger power to control Robo Knight.

Gosei can't locate Orion...Gosei continues to be useless.

Vrak stops Robo Knight from eliminating the Rangers so they can suffer....he doesn't learn...

Wow, Troy just brought up Ultra mode since they can't go Super.

So the episode ends on a cliffhanger: The Raners defeat one of Vrak's henchmen who absorbed enough power to transform into a drill for Vrak's "destroy the world" plan. He just needs one more and he'll be done.

Yeah that was another good episode. Seems like the season gets better during the last half.....if only it had started out this good.

javadoze

Probably shows how suspectable this fandom is to hearsay.

I wouldn't say the toku fandom is susceptible to this above others. It's more like Inoue is so terrible with the novel spinoffs that this is more par for course.

(Seriously, how do you go from writing such things like Jetman to writing Faiz and the Kamen Rider novels? Maybe it's the George Lucas effect that's kicked in?)

CrimsonN0

Hmm, on the subject of the novels, anyone find a full summary of the Kuuga one.
I've found bits and pieces of what goes on, but never a full one.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
So Kouta is pretty much the most powerful Kamen Rider ever, right?

Imagine how gangsta he would be in Kamen Rider Spirits.

hyper kabuto is pretty broken. i bet he could have stopped the yggdrasil stuff from happening

BatDan

ToQger 30

Wow, early release this week.

Is a girl Ranger learning to bake desserts another common Sentai episode? Like body swapping and weddings? Goseiger had an episode about that, and I think Kyoryuger did too (or was that the villains using desserts to hurt people...)
I really hope that Mio or Kagura can use Hyper Express by themselves. It would be immensely stupid if they always had to share it.
And the day was saved... by Cuccos. Was this a secret Hyrule Warriors promotion? Also, Wagon and the Conductor are dicks.

Whoa, the
creepy bunny
president is next week? At least we more Right vs. Z, their fight when Right got Hyper Express was pretty damn good.

ZoddGutts

Man no one talking about Garo finale? Can't blame y'all.

Gotta say I far prefer the third season (Garo:Yami) over this of Garo season. The lack of plot, lack of interesting characters, a villain that took forever to finally pop out and turn out to be not that interesting either. Also say what you want about Ryuga (3rd season lead), at least he had a personality and stand out, Raiga on the other hand was a complete bore to watch. He just didn't stand out much, he felt more like a secondary/background Makai Knight character. The supporting cast didn't really stand out much either, those few mins of Zero ooze with personality unlike the current cast.

Overall I found this to be a dud of a season. No one even talked much about this season of Garo here or elsewhere, can't say I'm surprise people bailed. Even the love it or hate it Garo: Yami had more people discussing about it. Too many fillers, not enough plot and main villian to talk about with Garo:Hana.

Overall it was a 6/10 for me.

Garo: Yami (3rd season) for me would be a 8/10. Yeah it felt different but I found it enjoyable to watch with decent to good characters as well.

vareon

Man no one talking about Garo finale? Can't blame y'all.

Gotta say I far prefer the third season (Garo:Yami) over this of Garo season. The lack of plot, lack of interesting characters, a villain that took forever to finally pop out and turn out to be not that interesting either. Also say what you want about Ryuga (3rd season lead), at least he had a personality and stand out, Raiga on the other hand was a complete bore to watch. He just didn't stand out much, he felt more like a secondary/background Makai Knight character. The supporting cast didn't really stand out much either, those few mins of Zero ooze with personality unlike the current cast.

Overall I found this to be a dud of a season. No one even talked much about this season of Garo here or elsewhere, can't say I'm surprise people bailed. Even the love it or hate it Garo: Yami had more people discussing about it. Too many fillers, not enough plot and main villian to talk about with Garo:Hana.

Overall it was a 6/10 for me.

Garo: Yami (3rd season) for me would be a 8/10. Yeah it felt different but I found it enjoyable to watch with decent to good characters as well.

S3 was the best season to me, and perhaps one of my favorite shows, and S4 was a massive disappointment. Everything is just so...irrelevant. Raiga is a nice protagonist, combining Kouga's fierceness and Kaoru's gentleness, but he lacks the challenge to make himself an interesting character. Crow's motive was irrelevant to the end and he basically has no development. There are no foreshadowing, no layers of mystery, no motive to hook viewers to watch till the end. The show would've benefited from having Kouga as a cameo, if only as fanservice, and it actually made sense with the
time travel
shenanigans.

Compare that to S3 with larger regular casts on both sides with clashing personalities, multiple plotline, and a protagonist that grows from unlikeable to great during the series. It's pretty much a dud.

So bring on the anime.

jwk94

Whelp Super Mega 17 was also really good.
I mean Troy defeating Vrak with that sky strike was dumb as hell and doesn't exactly make sense in Megaforce like it would (im guessing) in Goseiger but oh well. Human Troy vs Robo Knight is probably my favorite fight in the series.

It's down for me as well.

That's weird and slightly concerning.

Tenumi

Banned
Might be a DNS issue or something. Haven't had problems all day with their site.

I'm hoping Drive ends up working out well. I love where the previews have it appear to be going.

Top Bottom