• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
That really depends.

Subbing Garo? Maybe.

Dubbing Garo? Don't bet your life.

Funimation has licensed live-action material before. Mostly movies though.
As far as I know, they didn't dub them. They're likely well-aware that dubbing live-action material is a bad idea.

BatDan

Super Megaforce 13

Ugh, this was a mess.

Combining two unrelated Gokaiger episodes in one (including footage of the diplomat). I'm pretty sure the reason they did this was to use the footage of Jake bringing the Gokai Galleon Blaster to the battlefield, while explaining why the "jock" would do that. This is why Jake and Noah should have traded colors! Or get a different cast.

Orion is absent for most of the episode, then just appears out of nowhere. "Oh I was fixing my ship" Then why couldn't Tensou and Gosei find you? They are the worst mentors....

"You have unlocked Ninja Storm" WHY?! What did they do to deserve this?! They did nothing!

And of course... Changeman. Why is it called "Legendary Dragon Mode"? Only one of them is meant to be a dragon. Wouldn't "Myth Force" make more sense or something?

Also, if you're going to do original footage of Blue & Green fighting, you have to do original footage for EVERYONE. You can't just cut to Gokaiger stock footage in the middle of a battle, it's jarring.
At one point, they flashback to something that happened a minute ago. Is this a Pierrot anime?

And they're supposed to be high school students right? Why are they learning about 3rd grade astronomy?

I wouldn't bet on it but I could be wrong. Expect it to be as fast as Kyoryuger came out. This wont be like ToQ with the Wednesday releases though.

BatDan

It's certainly one way to get Kamen Rider to the states
"But nobody knows who these guys are" Didn't stop Skylanders did it?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfNbmHcLG1I

We our own worst enemy.

Today has not been a good day.

Death of Saturday Morning Cartoons.

Dallas is canceled.

And now a Kamen Rider I know I should be mad at but can't because I have to remember who the target audience is. The same target audience that made Busters, Ready, Go! disappear. FUCK THIS SHIT!

they are going to make bank on figures. especially if they add obsure secondary riders(i would buy a G figurine) and one off or fantasy riders like the multitude of gaim suits and various past rider modules

WillyFive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfNbmHcLG1I

We our own worst enemy.

Today has not been a good day.

Death of Saturday Morning Cartoons.

Dallas is canceled.

And now a Kamen Rider I know I should be mad at but can't because I have to remember who the target audience is. The same target audience that made Busters, Ready, Go! disappear. FUCK THIS SHIT!

The production values for this are a lot better than I expected from Bandai; but the gameplay looks even more a straight rip-off from Skylanders than just the premise; the actual gameplay itself seems lifted from it, and it seems so jarring having Kamen Riders in it.

seems more well thought of then amiibos.

they are going to make bank on figures. especially if they add obsure secondary riders(i would buy a G figurine) and one off or fantasy riders like the multitude of gaim suits and various past rider modules

The production values for this are a lot better than I expected from Bandai; but the gameplay looks even more a straight rip-off from Skylanders than just the premise; the actual gameplay itself seems lifted from it, and it seems so jarring having Kamen Riders in it.

All this I know. From a distance those games look awesome especially early Skylanders reminding me of those 3D Gauntlet games giving off those vibes.

I could never make a commitment to something like that because of the money sink it would take for it to be fun in a way I can enjoy it.

The thing that scares me is that this is going to be it. Bandai found the magic formula and once Sentai gets in on this there will be nothing else. I just enjoyed the variety that the fighters, beat-em-ups & musou games provided and this going to be the runaway success I know it will be is going to kill that.

Get that toku money though!

Corgi

Banned
KR just makes sense, when each show had many weapon gimmicks and forms these days.

sucker you in to get all that chips and what not.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

i bet if they do a crossover with wizard, they could just force their way in with the rest of the riders, and use the 1-rx riders in some sort of anniversary scheme

All this I know. From a distance those games look awesome especially early Skylanders reminding me of those 3D Gauntlet games giving off those vibes.

I could never make a commitment to something like that because of the money sink it would take for it to be fun in a way I can enjoy it.

The thing that scares me is that this is going to be it. Bandai found the magic formula and once Sentai gets in on this there will be nothing else. I just enjoyed the variety that the fighters, beat-em-ups & musou games provided and this going to be the runaway success I know it will be is going to kill that.

Get that toku money though!

its the reason i cant get into it as well. selling a game and additional figures ehile could be a money making washing machine, isnt something i think i can support. if there was something more to it, or if the figures or chips were cheap, i could understand, but i dont think this is going to be the case. and good luck to importers.

WillyFive

It would have been great if it simply used the actual gimmicks from the show instead of having an entire separate toy line for it. A typical Rider belt or Sentai morpher already has all the functionality of this thing, it just needs a way to communicate with a game console.

BatDan

i bet if they do a crossover with wizard, they could just force their way in with the rest of the riders, and use the 1-rx riders in some sort of anniversary scheme

I'm still sure that Wizard popping up in the Dino Charge trailers was just a mistake.

Still, someone should take advantage of selling KR worldwide. Especially with superheroes being as popular as they are now.

javadoze

Really looks like they just slapped Riders onto a Skylanders game. It's pretty jarring to say the least.

I dunno, I feel like there's much more interesting ways to go about doing a Rider game. With that said, what are some good ones that are out there? Is All Kamen Rider: Rider Generation 2 (PSP/DS) any good?

jwk94

Summon Ride doesn't even look that bad. I'd buy it if it came to the states....actually no. I would need this for a console.

I'm still sure that Wizard popping up in the Dino Charge trailers was just a mistake.

Still, someone should take advantage of selling KR worldwide. Especially with superheroes being as popular as they are now.

Remember when we thought the Dairangers being in the Super Megaforce trailer was just lazy editing? Anything is possible when you believe in neo saban!

vareon

Kamen Rider Drive (RAW)

Solid opening. It's too early to guess a pattern, but I like what I see (and understand) and Shinnosuke is a likeable fellow. The talking belt is cool, too.

NeonZ

I just didn't like the flying cars. Remove that and I'd consider the episode pretty much excellent, but the flying cars used as attacks just didn't look good. I hope they're toned down after this debut.

OK, I'm down with Drive. A refreshing break from Gaim's sprawling epic of epic proportions.

I'll hold my hype to respectable levels for now. This has the potential to be a great series and we have a year to see if it can deliver the goods. Pun intended.

BossRush

I just didn't like the flying cars. Remove that and I'd consider the episode pretty much excellent, but the flying cars used as attacks just didn't look good. I hope they're toned down after this debut.

I'll agree that the CG didn't really look the /best/...but the basic idea was about the same as the Zecters from Kabuto, sentient devices that are used for transformation. Granted the Zecters are cooler than toy cars but..

Slayven

I'll agree that the CG didn't really look the /best/...but the basic idea was about the same as the Zecters from Kabuto, sentient devices that are used for transformation. Granted the Zecters are cooler than toy cars but..

I think the cars showed more personalty in that one ep then the Zecters ever did.

Shit, son. Seiji's in Faiz/Kabuto mode. I love his moves in that style.

That goddamn tire isn't growing on me, but Gaim overcame the fruit, so let's do this.

EDIT: Also note they've reused the W RevolGarry dock for Drive's base.

Slayven

Shit, son. Seiji's in Faiz/Kabuto mode. I love his moves in that style.

That goddamn tire isn't growing on me, but Gaim overcame the fruit, so let's do this.

He did the gangsta lean before going to action. So awesome.

His suit shown without tires, broke my heart. It looked so good.

was it symmetrical?

No, it just doesn't have those fat tires around the center.

Here's some images I whipped up.

ljxMD2o.jpg

WDc6Pl2.jpg

Watched the first 12 episodes of Super Megaforce on Netflix. I can't sit through Hulu commercials or Nicks garbage player. THIS SHOW IS HORRIBLE. Bad acting, bad editing, bad everything. Its a kids show but that doesn't excuse creating a random mess. Sentai rangers randomly appearing when they try to remove them in the early episodes is the worst. Cool we have new powers from SPACE! Then Denjiman appear in a later episode and didn't even bother with an explanation. Characters all of a sudden interested in sword combat. No explanation for anything everything for this show is just randomly thrown together. Saban needs to fire the interns they hired for the summer to edit this show its garbage.

BatDan

Watched the first 12 episodes of Super Megaforce on Netflix. I can't sit through Hulu commercials or Nicks garbage player. THIS SHOW IS HORRIBLE. Bad acting, bad editing, bad everything. Its a kids show but that doesn't excuse creating a random mess. Sentai rangers randomly appearing when they try to remove them in the early episodes is the worst. Cool we have new powers from SPACE! Then Denjiman appear in a later episode and didn't even bother with an explanation. Characters all of a sudden interested in sword combat. No explanation for anything everything this show is just randomly thrown together. Saban needs to fire the interns they hired for the summer to edit this show its garbage.

Gosei said "never before seen on this planet". In PR, that could mean anything. Different planet, alternate dimension, the future. None of these are answered. It's the laziest handwave.

Actually, Denjiman doesn't show up. The un-adapted Sentai that appear are Dairanger, Maskman, Flashman, Changeman
and Fiveman
. But yeah... that was a huge fuck-up.

I have to wonder if the lazy inclusion of the "new powers" was a reason EP Johnathan Tzachor got removed. Bandai saw that, and knew they didn't have toys of those, and got pissed they were being showcased over toys they actually had (Space and Time Force were barely shown, and Lightspeed Rescue didn't show up at all). Another possible reason,
flying out the 10 past Rangers for cameos, and giving them nothing to do in the show.

But yeah, Megaforce/SMF was a disaster. I hope Dino Charge is tolerable.

EDIT: Also, why include those suits but edit out others?
Episode 4 originally had the Rangers turn into Turboranger, but here they shot original footage for Wild Force. Which became redundant as later in the episode, they turn into Wild Force again (this time using stock footage).
Episode 5 kept Maskman and Flashman, but edited out Dynaman, Goranger, and Denjiman
Epsiode 9 kept Flashman (even filmed a new scene of Jake using a Flashman key) but removed Bioman
The worst was Episode 19, which shot ORIGINAL FOOTAGE of un-adapted Sentai.
It's shocking how misguided this season was.

Top Bottom