• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

Bikkun

Neo Member
As co-translator and QC for IS, I'd be glad to lodge any complaints. Seriously, we're not TVN, we accept criticism and acknowledge mistakes.

If this is about "Awesomesauce", though, I don't even care anymore.

EDIT: Actually, let me take this opportunity. After our next release, we're going to start preparing the batch, which will contain V2s deemed necessary. Any mistakes or concerns you may have, please bring them up to us. Here, Twitter or even comments on our page. Seriously, this is the last chance.

Tenumi

Banned
Terrible grammar. You don't start a sentence with and.

Maybe grammar says that you shouldn't, but people do. Honestly, perfect grammar can be a bit of a issue upon itself. We're human, not robots. Sometimes the way we speak isn't the 'correct' way, but rather, the way we are comfortable with. Quirks, you know?

Pluto

Imagination Station gets complaints? Why?
No idea, all I ever read were vague things like this:

Because the translations are questionable.
How are they questionable? Any examples? And please give me something better than not starting sentences with "and".

Anyway, I'm really happy with the Abaranger subs and Imagination Stations work, thank you so much for this. I watched the series when it was new with shitty HK subs (I bought bootlegs of ebay, the good old times. lol), so awesome to finally see it with proper subs.

Bikkun, have you decided what your next project is going to be? I hope you continue releasing shows, there are so many great sentais in need of being translated.

Bikkun

Neo Member
Bikkun, have you decided what your next project is going to be? I hope you continue releasing shows, there are so many great sentais in need of being translated.

We're actually continuing Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, as we started back in July. While we have another project in the works, I don't wanna say until we're closer to the release. We have a list of things we want to do, but we need to pace ourselves to avoid burnout that plagues many other subbers.

Pluto

We're actually continuing Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, as we started back in July.
Awesome, I already have your first episode and was hoping you'd continue soon. :)

While we have another project in the works, I don't wanna say until we're closer to the release. We have a list of things we want to do, but we need to pace ourselves to avoid burnout that plagues many other subbers.
I understand not wanting to say but could you maybe give a little hint about the other project? Nothing too specific just something like "a super sentai" or "a toku from the 80s" for example?

Bikkun

Neo Member
It's a Sentai. :) And on PGSM, we've actually just finished Act 3 in translation. There's a line by Ikuko-Mama that we got right after both TVN and Miss Dream flubbed it. This is promising!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So now that every episode of SMF is out in English, I counted up the Legendary Morphs used by scene. It's... telling.

MMPR: 4 (does not count White)
Alien Rangers: 2
Zeo: 2
Turbo: 1
Space: 2
Lost Galaxy: 2
Lightspeed Rescue: 0
Time Force: 1
Wild Force: 4
Ninja Storm: 2
Dino Thunder: 4
SPD: 3
Mystic Force: 4
Operation Overdrive: 2
Jungle Fury: 4
RPM: 4
Samurai: 4

Dairanger: 3
Maskman: 2 (does not count the blatant editing error in Episode 13)
Flashman: 3
Changeman: 2
Fiveman: 1

ReiGun

So now that every episode of SMF is out in English, I counted up the Legendary Morphs used by scene. It's... telling.

MMPR: 4 (does not count White)
Alien Rangers: 2
Zeo: 2
Turbo: 1
Space: 2
Lost Galaxy: 2
Lightspeed Rescue: 0
Time Force: 1
Wild Force: 4
Ninja Storm: 2
Dino Thunder: 4
SPD: 3
Mystic Force: 4
Operation Overdrive: 2
Jungle Fury: 4
RPM: 4
Samurai: 4

Dairanger: 3
Maskman: 2 (does not count the blatant editing error in Episode 13)
Flashman: 3
Changeman: 2
Fiveman: 1
The second list....lol

Did they give any explanation at all for the non PR seasons? Cause if not, thats some next level laziness.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
It's also inconsistent laziness. Which is the part I'm most interested in. Why do they care to edit stuff out and film new footage in some episodes and do nothing in others? Why did they have Sakamoto direct new stuff and barely use any of it?

BatDan

The second list....lol

Did they give any explanation at all for the non PR seasons? Cause if not, thats some next level laziness.

The most we got was before the introduction of the Dairanger suits. Gosei chimes in saying "You have unlocked new powers never before seen on this planet". Which could mean anything considering the various avenues in PR (different planet, alternate universe or dimension, the future). After that, nothing. Just "new powers!" with inconsistent names (Changeman is called Dragon Mode in Episode 13, then Blitz Mode in Episode 19).

BatDan

ToQger 32

Yeaaaaah, they really didn't try to hide the twist. At least it was a good scene.
I get the feeling there's an even bigger twist with Z from that ending.

Hyper Express Emperor looks really good (a shame the toy doesn't...). It's sad that the side Megazords (Diesel-Oh, Build Dai-Oh, and the previously mentioned) look way better than the main one.

I'm still convinced the President is a secret villain. You don't wear a mask like that and expect to be the good guy.

Nothing to comment about next week.

vareon

My latest two grabs from my venture into the deep abyss of Bandai's claws. Both are awesome figures. Maybe I'll try to take an actual photograph of Wizard this weekend.

AQhp44c.png

KpCbRrG.jpg

Slayven

ToQger 32

Yeaaaaah, they really didn't try to hide the twist. At least it was a good scene.
I get the feeling there's an even bigger twist with Z from that ending.

Hyper Express Emperor looks really good (a shame the toy doesn't...). It's sad that the side Megazords (Diesel-Oh, Build Dai-Oh, and the previously mentioned) look way better than the main one.

I'm still convinced the President is a secret villain. You don't wear a mask like that and expect to be the good guy.

Nothing to comment about next week.

Z is going to totally turn out to be a friend of the group who was a kid.

vareon

Hey, ToQger 32 is good. The revelation (which everyone already know) was cool, Hyper Express is what I imagined ToQger's mech before the show starts. There's something unsettling about Zed humming the same song but I hope he's not a "sixth friend everyone forgot about".

Amazing Hibiki picture.

That wasn't intentional, lol. The setup was so shit (background is my monitor, the light is my phone's flashlight) that I was surprised at the result.

LostAnkh

Hey, ToQger 32 is good. The revelation (which everyone already know) was cool, Hyper Express is what I imagined ToQger's mech before the show starts. There's something unsettling about Zed humming the same song but I hope he's not a "sixth friend everyone forgot about".

That wasn't intentional, lol. The setup was so shit (background is my monitor, the light is my phone's flashlight) that I was surprised at the result.
I was never a big fan of Wizard's design, but that SIC design though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah there's more to this reveal, this is a kobayashi show. She did the same thing in Shinkenger and GoBuster. Also notice their tendency to have parents be killed or crippled lol

Also it's nice that they keep the motif of "imagination" to the president. Notice President wiping himself with sweat... then proceeds to try to wipe himself by reaching inside the bunny mask?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock

Is Inoue designing the Shift Cars?

I would be more surprised if I hadn't recently watched Ryuki and seen Shinji in his bullshit artist shirt or watched Sawada kill the busload of people in Faiz to... well... you know.

Maybe it's Packing Wrecker or Pucking Wrecker

Jonah from Tonga works for Bandai.

Sorry folks its "Hooking Wrecker" the toy store made a typo, should be フッキング not ファッキング.

vareon

Sorry folks its "Hooking Wrecker" the toy store made a typo, should be フッキング not ファッキング.

Noooo this has to be true :(

On a side note sprsk, do you buy ToQ/Drive toys?

WarRock

Haha. Would never have guessed that was a monitor.

lol

NeonZ

Shouldn't that be "Fooking" then? There's still no "Hoo" sound even in the fixed version you posted there.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Shouldn't that be "Fooking" then? There's still no "Hoo" sound even in the fixed version you posted there.

フ is romanized as "fu" but is used for both "fu" and "hu" when used in loan words.

ふ, in hiragana, or フ in katakana, is one of the Japanese kana, each of which represents one mora. The hiragana is made in four strokes, while the katakana in one. It represents the phoneme /hu͍/, although for phonological reasons, the actual pronunciation is [ɸu͍] ( listen), which is why it is romanized fu in Hepburn romanization instead of hu.

For example, plug the corrected version of the word that WarRock posted into Google Translate and you get "Hooking".

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
フ is romanized as "fu" but is used for both "fu" and "hu" when used in loan words.

For example, plug the corrected version of the word that WarRock posted into Google Translate and you get "Hooking".

Oh, so it's a hu/fu thing.

that explains why due to my skepticism I wiki'd the katakana chart and wondered why hu was missing.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Well, Funky Spike already sounds like "FUCKING SPIKE!" when Christopher Peppler pronounces it.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
That's just Toei telling him to speak with that accent, though. His natural English-speaking accent is awesome. He kinda sounds like Tom Brokaw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2XErO4Gcb4

Yep, same deal with KyoryuCyan. Robert Baldwin's Japanese is flawless, so they pretty much had him speak that broken shit for the kids.

It's actually a liiiiiiiiitttle different. Chris Pepper is famous for his voice, he prononces things more like a mix of English and Japanese without going full baka gaijin. Unfortunately for Robert Baldwin, who actually got famous in the firsrt place for knowing basically more about Japan and the Japanese language than actual Japanese people, toei was all "please go full baka gaijin" in this and I think he was also in an ultraman series.

Not a fan of it personally, don't blame Robert--but Toei shouldn't be endorsing these stereotypes to kids at such a young age. It's great kids get exposure to foreigners, but not like this :(

BatDan

Super Megaforce 15

I don't know what to think of this one...
The sound mixing on the Dogormin, rather the Royal Guard, was fucking atrocious.
Anyone notice how they were wearing different clothes on the ship, then their default outfits on the ground. Does nobody know how to do continuity?

I'm surprised that they completely ignored the Goseiger costumes, as TWICE they went directly to Gokaiger from civilian. Probably because the next two episodes are going to be pure Goseiger... ugggh...

You know, in the 90s and early 2000s I can understand them not editing out Japanese text or text that doesn't make sense. But now, they have the technology to do that. Why don't they do that? Sure a civilian will slip in, but you could easily remove the text. I'm just saying...

The big battle between Joe and Barizorg, I mean Noah and Argus. Why did Noah fight him? Wouldn't it make more sense for Orion to fight him since he's seeking revenge against the Armada? Oh right, copying Gokaiger to the letter. I hope rangersentaiguy notices and does a comparison between the two fights (because they were fucking exact).

And so, the best character this season is now dead... there is nothing left but the finale. Oh and I guess fighting Vrak but who cares.

Oh and the "day off" plot makes no sense. Being Rangers isn't their job, they're not Lightspeed Rescue or SPD, they're fucking high school students who do this after school lets out.
Also, they need to cut the whole "earth will be without its defenders" crap. THE OTHER RANGERS EXIST! THIS WAS ESTABLISHED MULTIPLE TIMES! Again, it's not like Gokaiger where they no longer have their powers. They have them, but they never help out. God, this season is a fucking mess. I know I say that every week but each episode just gets worse and worse.

NeonZ

Also, they need to cut the whole "earth will be without its defenders" crap. THE OTHER RANGERS EXIST! THIS WAS ESTABLISHED MULTIPLE TIMES! Again, it's not like Gokaiger where they no longer have their powers. They have them, but they never help out.

To be fair, that's pretty much standard Power Rangers. They might have a even mention that other Rangers exist without ever having a crossover (Mystic Force, Jungle Fury) or even actually a team popping up for a couple of episodes and yet most of the time the show still will act like they're the only Rangers and won't even try to make an excuse for their absence in other episodes.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Guess it's tradition now to have the dino season be set in high school, much like how it's tradition for the villains of the Sentai dino shows being responsible for the extinction of the dinosaurs.

Is it wrong that i wish they would play with the wizard of oz motif they already have set up?

Top Bottom