• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

Corgi

Banned
I liked the one mech with the phallic super soaker Cannon, but that's about it. Didn't like how most of the units were just arms.

Still think gobuster has the best mechs in terms of function and story importance. Each form had their own purpose and usage even late in the season.

Slayven

It is really is a shame cause they did have pretty much the perfect train zord in the past

250px-LR_Super_Train_Megazord.jpg

jwk94

It is really is a shame cause they did have pretty much the perfect train zord in the past

Classic Sentai did so many things right. I want my real sparks and explosions back! ><

So the Power Rangers facebook page posted this. I had no clue Justin drove a cart called True Blue. That explains the "True Blue to the Rescue" title. I always thought that was because he was blue before TJ.

jwk94

No, they look like basic concept models. Some of the many unfinished designs weve seen from other series look better than the actual trains we got. Akiras is the coolest of all of them, and i still dont know how that happened.

The inside of his mech is awful though. I actually think the single base mech (the one used to form the last mech) is the best looking.

Defuser

I think the problem with ToQ train designs is the themes of the concept...imagination,rainbow, colourful.Hence we got this design monstrosity which will never beat Gogo V train zord.

NeonZ

I loved the Kyoryuger mechs, some of my favorites of the last 10 years; ToQger's mechs however are trash.

The Kyoryuger mecha themselves had decent designs, but Sakamoto failed baldy with the combination sequences. His model work there was worse than even in the 80s series. They should really have gone with CG if they can't do model work anymore.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Drive 06

Rinna was good all along! And part of the team.
Of course, Mr. Belt is still being too secretive.

I do like Wild's look, if he got rid of the tire. Really, any of Drive's forms are well designed if they got rid of the tire.

vareon

Drive 6

I have a feeling the team will one-by-one joins the secret Drive team (if they haven't already)? Sounds like a nice little gag.

My worry is that Chaser is overused (because they need to sell his gun) that his appearance aren't special anymore.

I like the lead-in to the next episode, too. Makes the episodes better connected while still keeping the MoTW formula.

Every single member of that team is down with Belt-san. They'll reveal their true nature as the plot sees fit.

Thanks past me for seeing that shit coming! You're awesome!

Is there any chance Chase isn't Mach?

That would be quite the twist if he wasn't. This is Kamen Rider so the simple answer will do.

Date was the last time we got played like that but that still ended up like it should've though.

Slayven

Thanks past me for seeing that shit coming! You're awesome!

That would be quite the twist if he wasn't. This is Kamen Rider so the simple answer will do.

Date was the last time we got played like that but that still ended up like it should've though.

I hope the undercover angle is true, and he real personality is like a 180.

javadoze

Concerning Mach...

Some set pictures have been shown with both Machine Chaser and Kamen Rider Mach together. So there's that

On to the episode. Type Wild was less wonky than I thought it would be.
Totally called Rinna being the one who developed the steering sword.
Pretty nice that all of these episodes have small connections to one another, it really helps makes the two-part episode format more forgivable. Finally, we have yet another scene of the Special Crimes Unit acting pretty competent (I like it when the cast is used to their full potential *cough*KamenRiderClub*cough*)..

Corgi

Banned

the combination sequence with the plane in the background is so ridiculously good.

also there wasn't many huge megazords besides pyramidous so this shot did blow my mind as a kid.

pirmko.jpg

I've finally been able to watch more of Bioman, up to Episode 21 now. There are two things I really like about this series.

1. Gear tries to take over the world through various schemes like causing a volcano to erupt, using virtually invulnerable steel, or causing a disease, rather than simply sending down a monster with a gimmick, since they can't really do that with their Zyunoid/Mecha Giant concept.

2. There's a wide variety of finishers for the Biomen to use, both on foot and with Biorobo, though some are better than others.

WillyFive

The Kyoryuger mecha themselves had decent designs, but Sakamoto failed baldy with the combination sequences. His model work there was worse than even in the 80s series. They should really have gone with CG if they can't do model work anymore.

....uh, there was not one single point in Kyoryuger where the CG looked better than the models.

NeonZ

....uh, there was not one single point in Kyoryuger where the CG looked better than the models.

The CG models don't need to look better than real models if the real models are going to be so misused. The combination sequences with the models looked really poor and awkward, while at least the CG ones were decent sometimes. Compare the standard Kyoryuzin combination sequence (which was pure model work) with Pteraiden-Oh's transformation (which was CG). The later ended up much better. Although "better" in this case is just mediocre, but that's still better than the really bad model work sequences.

WillyFive

The CG models don't need to look better than real models if the real models are going to be so misused. The combination sequences with the models looked really poor and awkward, while at least the CG ones were decent sometimes. Compare the standard Kyoryuzin combination sequence (which was pure model work) with Pteraiden-Oh's transformation (which was CG). The later ended up much better. Although "better" in this case is just mediocre, but that's still better than the really bad model work sequences.

It can do cooler things while CG, since model-work can't be made that dynamic unless your are 90's ILM with a huge budget backing you up; but the really poor rendering Toei gives makes it look like a mid 2000's Renderware videogame. That is in addition to poor animation of CG models, whose animations start and stop on a dime, having no weight whatsoever.

Even the TV-quality model-work is miles better than the CG they work with; because it looks like solid objects.

NeonZ

It can do cooler things while CG, since model-work can't be made that dynamic unless your are 90's ILM with a huge budget backing you up; but the really poor rendering Toei gives makes it look like a mid 2000's Renderware videogame. That is in addition to poor animation of CG models, whose animations start and stop on a dime, having no weight whatsoever.

Even the TV-quality model-work is miles better than the CG they work with; because it looks like solid objects.

The model work in Kyoryuger was horrible though. The connectors and other details basically just looked like toys and there was barely any movement. Like I said in my previous message, the model work in most 80s and 90s shows was easily better than Kyoryuger's.

I'd usually take model work over Toei's CG, but Kyoryuger's model work was just horrible and the CG ended up better in practice there. What's the point of looking like "solid toys" without any movement?

WillyFive

The model work in Kyoryuger was horrible though. The connectors and other details basically just looked like toys and there was barely any movement. Like I said in my previous message, the model work in most 80s and 90s shows was easily better than Kyoryuger's.

I'd usually take model work over Toei's CG, but Kyoryuger's model work was just horrible and the CG ended up better in practice there. What's the point of looking like "solid toys" without any movement?

80's and 90's? Other than GoGoV (which alongside Go-Busters is the peak of Sentai model work), model work was very rough back then as well. Megazords constantly shifted proportions, such as in Liveman in which one shot having tiny heads and huge body (due to being one model), and another shot having entirely different proportions (due to being another model or switching to the life-size version which had to fit a person inside).

I don't remember Kyoryuger falling for that problem, unless you took the time to measure the size of the buildings relative to Gabutyra and Kyoryuzin and realize that the dino model was bigger than the suit model because it needed to fit a person inside; something the directors and cinematographers hid very well.

NeonZ

80's and 90's? Other than GoGoV (which alongside Go-Busters is the peak of Sentai model work), model work was very rough back then as well. Megazords constantly shifted proportions, such as in Liveman in which one shot having tiny heads and huge body (due to being one model), and another shot having entirely different proportions (due to being another model or switching to the life-size version which had to fit a person inside).

I don't remember Kyoryuger falling for that problem, unless you took the time to measure the size of the buildings relative to Gabutyra and Kyoryuzin and realize that the dino model was bigger than the suit model because it needed to fit a person inside; something the directors and cinematographers hid very well.

Well, I guess we're just looking at different things. Yes, the transition scenes sometimes could be inconsistent, but I'm not really looking at that. That doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I wish they were more inconsistent with scale rather than making these huge unmovable suits for upgrades. I'm talking about the dynamics and directing of the combination itself and how they handle the models there.

Here's a random example. Watch this from Maskman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiFP8P1BcvU

The models themselves aren't impressive, but look at the effects and dynamics of the combination sequence, with lightning, movement, smoke all at once.

Now compare with the Kyoryuzin's:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1lmxgb_kyoryuzin_music (it's not in the very beginning)

There's no attempt at dynamic movement, and the effects thrown in for the combination feel extremely underwhelming and tacked on, without feeling like an integral part of the scene. The CG combinations in Kyoryuger at least attempted dynamic movement and effects, while all model based ones followed that same structure.

WillyFive

Well, I guess we're just looking at different things. Yes, the transition scenes sometimes could be inconsistent, but I'm not really looking at that. That doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I wish they were more inconsistent with scale rather than making these huge unmovable suits for upgrades. I'm talking about the dynamics and directing of the combination itself and how they handle the models there.

Here's a random example. Watch this from Maskman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiFP8P1BcvU

The models themselves aren't impressive, but look at the effects and dynamics of the combination sequence, with lightning, movement, smoke all at once.

Now compare with the Kyoryuzin's:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1lmxgb_kyoryuzin_music (it's not in the very beginning)

There's no attempt at dynamic movement, and the effects thrown in for the combination feel extremely underwhelming and tacked on, without feeling like an integral part of the scene. The CG combinations in Kyoryuger at least attempted dynamic movement and effects, while all model based ones followed that same structure.

I get what you mean, but it didn't have the same effect on me, since the other aspects of the special effects, from music to sound effects to it's appropriate place in the narrative, made it exciting and enjoyable; in addition to the model work being well made (albeit lacking in pose-ability, which was going to be a handicap since these are moving creatures and not vehicles).

What did you think of Plezu-On?

ibdc7Yg1NQDtIq.gif

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
We have confirmation from toy reviews that Dino Charge's morphing call will not be "Go Go Dino Charge" (THANK YOU)
From a transcript it seems to be:
Morpher: *dinosaur name* Charger, Engage!
Ranger: Energize
*charging, then trigger pull*
Ranger: Unleash the Power!

Slayven

We have confirmation from toy reviews that Dino Charge's morphing call will not be "Go Go Dino Charge" (THANK YOU)
From a transcript it seems to be:
Morpher: *dinosaur name* Charger, Engage!
Ranger: Energize
*charging, then trigger pull*
Ranger: Unleash the Power!

will they dance?

jwk94

Dino Charge Morpher review Part 1
Part 2

The barrel make sounds when it spins! Please let there be a dance!

Oh and it looks like we're not getting Go Go Dino Charge this time. I kinda hope they say "It's morphin time" somewhere in their morph though.

The toy didn't play a samba beat, so it's probably no.
Sucks... but hopefully the rest of the season makes up for it.

Fuck, I forgot about the samba beat. My hopes and dreams of dancing rangers has been crushed =(

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Dino Charge Morpher review Part 1
Part 2

The barrel make sounds when it spins! Please let there be a dance!

Oh and it looks like we're not getting Go Go Dino Charge this time. I kinda hope they say "It's morphin time" somewhere in their morph though.

Fuck, I forgot about the samba beat. My hopes and dreams of dancing rangers has been crushed =(

Oh god, it looks so crappy and cheap... And no samba was to be expected, still really sad though.

Corgi

Banned
Oh god, it looks so crappy and cheap... And no samba was to be expected, still really sad though.
Idk if I was a parent I'd be more happy spending like $20 for the annual Ranger morpher versus $80. But then I don't make them 8-4 bucks.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Idk if I was a parent I'd be more happy spending like $20 for the annual Ranger morpher versus $80. But then I don't make them 8-4 bucks.

FWIW the morphers here tend to be only 30-35 bucks. We just got the tokkyu changer for 25, even!

I won't defend mech prices tho, they are insane.

Top Bottom