• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

NeonZ

What did you think of Plezu-On?

ibdc7Yg1NQDtIq.gif

Huh, I had forgotten about it. It's definitely the best model sequence in Kyoryuger, but a large part of that comes just from context. Taking place in space makes the lack of movement feel much more natural than the other combinations (and also makes a nice backdrop for the scene).

Well, I guess we're just looking at different things. Yes, the transition scenes sometimes could be inconsistent, but I'm not really looking at that. That doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I wish they were more inconsistent with scale rather than making these huge unmovable suits for upgrades. I'm talking about the dynamics and directing of the combination itself and how they handle the models there.

Here's a random example. Watch this from Maskman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiFP8P1BcvU

The models themselves aren't impressive, but look at the effects and dynamics of the combination sequence, with lightning, movement, smoke all at once.

Now compare with the Kyoryuzin's:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1lmxgb_kyoryuzin_music (it's not in the very beginning)

There's no attempt at dynamic movement, and the effects thrown in for the combination feel extremely underwhelming and tacked on, without feeling like an integral part of the scene. The CG combinations in Kyoryuger at least attempted dynamic movement and effects, while all model based ones followed that same structure.

I'll be honest, I generally fast forward through Sentai's mech scenes. That's not why I watch toku for the most part.

Corgi

Banned
I hated gobusters mech fights.
whats to hate? each form has their purpose and actually ties to the story even when bigger badder forms came around, Red's mecha still has its use. .

cockpits looked like gundam setups vs the fairly simple cockpits and controls of other sentai.

Also the bad guy piloted Jehuty.

It's about as good as it gets.

Makes me kind of wish someone did do a live action mecha show that was all practical effects.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm hoping the upcoming PR movie has good mech/Megazord fights since it won't have Toei's shitty CGI.
"But Saban's CGI is worse" LIonsgate would be the ones in charge of that aspect.

Corgi

Banned
I'm hoping the upcoming PR movie has good mech/Megazord fights since it won't have Toei's shitty CGI.
"But Saban's CGI is worse" LIonsgate would be the ones in charge of that aspect.

depends on their approach.

Although a bayformer mech could be rad. Optimus pretty much already has a megazord style head.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Drive 6

Good episode.

I can't believe anyone actually thought Rinna might be "evil". Yeah, like they're going to put her in the opening right alongside all the other SIU people then have her turn 5 episodes in. C'mon.

BatDan

The line mentions a Spinosaurus, which was Tobaspino. Hence why it sounds like Talon is Navy.

Those are our rangers for Super Dino Charge. Razzle hacked the morpher.

EDIT:
Should have said Dino Charge.

Talon, huh? Saban going to try and hit that Green Ranger gravy train again.

And remember Silver has his own henshin item, so the sound wouldn't be there.

jwk94

So I used to watch Power Rangers with my sister. She's 29 now and stopped watching.....after TIme Force was finished I think. She watched the Megaforce finale with me but that's because I forced her. Otherwise, she think PR is corny now. She just sent me a text message of JDFs Instagram page. She was freaking out over the Legend War. Yeah, Nick knew exactly what they were doing when they chose to advertise the fact that he's coming back and not everyone else.

Nope. Tobaspino did though. That's why I think they'd film footage for the suit.

I'm so confused.

So I used to watch Power Rangers with my sister. She's 29 now and stopped watching.....after TIme Force was finished I think. She watched the Megaforce finale with me but that's because I forced her. Otherwise, she think PR is corny now. She just sent me a text message of JDFs Instagram page. She was freaking out over the Legend War. Yeah, Nick knew exactly what they were doing when they chose to advertise the fact that he's coming back and not everyone else.

I'm so confused.

In the original Zyuranger footage Dragon Ranger was largely a bad guy, like Kyoryu Navy. To get around this, they got creative with Tommy and filmed a bit of new footage. Same deal roughly with Abarekiller when moving over to Dino Thunder.

I'm guessing Saban will do the same Navy, to play up the character beyond being a one note villain. I expect they'll have him join the team after being an antagonist, film some new suit footage, and use the Tobaspino footage to cover the gap.

Pluto

In the original Zyuranger footage Dragon Ranger was largely a bad guy, like Kyoryu Navy. To get around this, they got creative with Tommy and filmed a bit of new footage. Same deal roughly with Abarekiller when moving over to Dino Thunder.
Dragon Ranger was a bad guy for six episodes then he joined the good guys, it's not that different from MMPR in that regard.

vareon

I'm cautiously hyped by Dino Charge, something I never did before considering I didn't follow PR since Time Force except RPM. I don't know why, but it seems like reading about the crew getting enthusiastic, knowing there might be changes from Kyoryuger and Lynn caused that.

isny

napkin dispenser
I'm cautiously hyped by Dino Charge, something I never did before considering I didn't follow PR since Time Force except RPM. I don't know why, but it seems like reading about the crew getting enthusiastic, knowing there might be changes from Kyoryuger and Lynn caused that.

No dancing is what's going to turn me off from watching it. I tried with Super Megaforce but it was just such a farce. I'll definitely keep an eye on Dino Charge, but I highly doubt they'll do anything besides just churn out another cheap season of PR to sell as many toys as possible.

I'm cautiously hyped by Dino Charge,

I stopped there.

-"WOW! Saban owns Power Rangers again! This is going to be so much better than Disney!"

-"Well, now we're in the second season and they can finally start focusing on serious stuff and the actors have some experience under their belts! This is gonna be great!"

-"20th anniversary, baby!! Can't wait for the throwbacks and the celebration! Gonna be awesome!!"

-"Well, now we're into the actual Gokaiger stuff, so lots of old suits, lots of cameos, every team is gonna get so much love, I can't wait to see my favorite, Lightspeed Rescue!"

I mean, let's put our expectations in check. We've been doing this for five years now. You should know by now.

vareon

I stopped there.

-"WOW! Saban owns Power Rangers again! This is going to be so much better than Disney!"

-"Well, now we're in the second season and they can finally start focusing on serious stuff and the actors have some experience under their belts! This is gonna be great!"

-"20th anniversary, baby!! Can't wait for the throwbacks and the celebration! Gonna be awesome!!"

-"Well, now we're into the actual Gokaiger stuff, so lots of old suits, lots of cameos, every team is gonna get so much love, I can't wait to see my favorite, Lightspeed Rescue!"

I mean, let's put our expectations in check. We've been doing this for five years now. You should know by now.

Nah, I didn't go to those phase of hype on Samurai/Megaforce/Super Megaforce. I first know Samurai from the casting listing and noticed how similar they were to Shinkenger and had no opinion about it. Then all news is about how lazily Saban tried to have the old casts back with little effort.

I mean there's practically nothing we know tells how Dino Charge will turn out. But the tidbits I've heard are from people that seems to be doing something and having fun with it (Yoshi Sudarso doing Kyoryu Blue pose and talked with Yamato Kinjo, for example).

It's simply akin to you see some people doing cool stuff and you wish them luck, even though you're not attached to what they're doing.

Heroman

Banned
Yes, yes I am. I'd be even more hyped if they kept the morphing dance.
Not to be mean but how? After samurai, super samurai, Megaforce and super Megaforce all of them being garbage, how can you be hype.
And they probably won't keep the dance

*takes deep breath*

The finale of Super Megaforce aired in the UK a short while back already, and upon catching up on around 5-6 preceding episodes before it, I feel obliged to make some sort of short review about this show. I just don't really know how to properly convey into words what I think this show is.

It is so bad, it's laughably so. This is a show that is so putrid and bereft of anything genuinely good, that it BECOMES its more enjoyable factor. Super Megaforce is such a crappy, puerile product handled by such indifferent execs mixed with so many baffling decisions that I've strangely taken to like it in a purely ironic way. I enjoyed watching the episodes just to see how shittier this could get. It got to the point that I could no longer say this is the worst season of the franchise I have ever seen - okay, well it still is - but I've derived so much more enjoyment out of this car crash than I have of say, Operation Overdrive.

Everything. Flying out a bunch of alumni from LA to Auckland on first class plane tickets for probably just a little over a weekend just to have nearly all of them stand there holding their helmets mute.

Airing a promo that brushes all other rangers' contributions aside in favour of Tommy. Yeah, Tommy. Who doesn't remember that time when this Power Ranger Jesus went up against a million enemy ships and monsters and took them all down on his lonesome? Hell yeah!

The thorough neglecting of Disney era rangers sans Casey even though the majority of them reside in or near New Zealand.

The puerile writing and the continued infantilisation of the rangers (today kids, we're going to learn about the solar system, even though you're probably all around 17-18!). Also, Emma's voice and practically nearly everything she says rubs me the wrong way. How does she sound so much like a kindergarten teacher?

The downright waste of Orion, his directionless backstory.

The decisions to have an episode where Emma switches costumes like a magical girl and one where they chase Tensou around instead of giving more breathing space for the Vekar and Vrak plots.

The decision to not only feature pre-Zyu powers without any explanations, but also to FILM ORIGINAL FOOTAGE OF THESE PRE-ZYU powers over that of giving the Lightspeed Rangers some actual representation.

Things that happen simply because Gokaiger, minus the contexts. Why does Noah seem to have this beef with Argus? Because Joe and Barizorg did it and they had an emotional backstory and actual buildup to provide a strong context for their eventual confrontation to the death.

Yay! We beat the Messenger of an alien armada! Celebra- ohhh fuck, the Armada is attacking!

Yay! We coldly killed one robot and a prince! We've won! It's over! Ohhh fuck, the Armada is attacking!

Yay! We killed another prince because arbitrary plot reasons gave Troy a 1000x power up! We've won! Ohhh fuck, we're under attack again!

Yay! We beat the so-called strongest man in the universe. No one else will dare take us on now. Right, Orion! Goodbye and good luck to you as you seek to go back to your 100% desolate and lifeless home planet to rebuild with only an Earthen houseplant! OHHH FUCK, a full invasion?! We did not see this coming!

GOSEI. EVERYTHING.

Every goddamn thing.

Bravo to you, Super Megaforce. You're so bad, you've brought me many hours of entertainment. I think I might be one of your biggest fans in a similar way that Jim Sterling is a big fan of Ubisoft.

jwk94

Not to be mean but how? After samurai, super samurai, Megaforce and super Megaforce all of them being garbage, how can you be hype.
And they probably won't keep the dance

Because I actually enjoyed parts of SS-SMF. Sure SMF was a bad season, probably the second worst, but I wouldn't say it was horrible like some others. Plus, I'm excited to see what direction Lynn takes the season.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I think the potential is there if they have the Go busters do stuff in the background throughout the season so when they use their footage from the crossover movie it makes sense.

Probably not happening though

Tenumi

Banned
I'm afraid I don't understand the "Its awful if they don't do the dance" sentiment.

Seriously? It's just a silly dance.

jwk94

I'm afraid I don't understand the "Its awful if they don't do the dance" sentiment.

It's not awful. I just enjoyed the dance and would love to see some cool transformations with it. I mean Super Megaforce arguably had the best transformations so it'd be nice to see what they did with DC.

It's a fun dance and like Super Megaforce dropping the pirate theme, dropping the music theme seems odd, given some of the in-suit action. Hell, by time they get to Carnival, it'll seem downright perplexing.

I don't think the show will be bad because of it, but the dance was fun.

BatDan

It's a fun dance and like Super Megaforce dropping the pirate theme, dropping the music theme seems odd, given some of the in-suit action. Hell, by time they get to Carnival, it'll seem downright perplexing.

I don't think the show will be bad because of it, but the dance was fun.

I hope Lynn and his team are smarter than Tzachor and his team and could incorporate the music theme without much trouble.
There likely won't be dancing during the morph, but I imagine Carnival will still have dance battling.

I'm still baffled at how they completely ignored the pirate theme. It's not like Goseiger where it's generic enough that you don't immediately think "angels". The Zords are animals they had before (except snakes), they fight with cards, their secondary Zords are also animals, this could have been anything (unfortunately, they chose to make it nothing).
Gokaiger is so blatantly pirates that it's almost comical that they're ignoring it. They fight with flintlock pistols and cutlasses, their main Zord is a pirate ship, the Megazord's main finisher is cannon fire, the "crossing swords" emblem is everywhere, even little kids can tell they're supposed to be pirates!

WarRock

The puerile writing and the continued infantilisation of the rangers (today kids, we're going to learn about the solar system, even though you're probably all around 17-18!).

[...]

Yay! We beat the so-called strongest man in the universe. No one else will dare take us on now. Right, Orion! Goodbye and good luck to you as you seek to go back to your 100% desolate and lifeless home planet to rebuild with only an Earthen houseplant! OHHH FUCK, a full invasion?! We did not see this coming!

Thanks for writing this, I am laughing like an idiot.

javadoze

Nice little shout-out to Mitsuru Matsuoka's role as Eternal in the Surprise Drive PV:

At the beginning he picks up a broken (Eternal) blue car:

Which at the end of the video changes to Drive red, along with this message:

For some reason, I wish this meant the return of Eternal in the Drive summer movie. (But knowing the production team on Drive, they're probably going to go and do some plot-relevant thing.)

Top Bottom