• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

jwk94

Christ, the fans let them have it.

I swear if they don't take all the criticism they've been receiving for the past 4 years to heart for Dino Charge.....I'll still watch smh.

So I'm watching ASDeclassified's review for Lost Galaxy and I just got to the Magna Defender part. He was talking about how the Magna Defender was so consumed by rage and revenge that he didn't really care about anyone else. Furio also destroyed his planet/people/killed his son....Orion was Magna Defender 2.0 or at least should have been. This season really should have had a Lost Galaxy tribute where Mike (or MD since Mike wouldn't likely come back) talks to Orion about how he used to have the same problem. I mean come on, Orion had that connection with the past sixth rangers that they never brought up again!

Can we take a year off and re-do Super Megaforce? please?

WillyFive

Glad the mainstream fans are also upset. Then again, it's impressive that Saban's Facebook page was confident (or ignorant) enough to actually post a question like that in the first place. Amateurs....

Can we take a year off and re-do Super Megaforce? please?

They'll get another chance, for the 25th (Sentai 40). It will probably suck as well.

javadoze

So do people agree that Samurai was better than Megaforce? At least with Samurai you had: a more manageable array of powerups, a logical storyline, character arcs, a slow rise in the show's quality (leading into Super Samurai), and the RPM crossover that was pretty decent (considering the obvious limitations).

Sure, Samurai still had its problems, but it's amazing looking back in comparison to what we got for Megaforce.

Corgi

Banned
So do people agree that Samurai was better than Megaforce? At least with Samurai you had: a more manageable array of powerups, a logical storyline, character arcs, a slow rise in the show's quality (leading into Super Samurai), and the RPM crossover that was pretty decent (considering the obvious limitations).

Sure, Samurai still had its problems, but it's amazing looking back in comparison to what we got for Megaforce.
I would be surprised if someone could argue for any season to be worse than super megaforce.

I guess the original series without nostalgia, but even still that was at least consistent.

Samurai actually made me have hope for megaforce back then. It had its issues and played it safe, but the budget for brand new suits and new megazord interior gave me hope that the anniversary season would be fantastic.

Kind of wonder what gokaiger would be like if Disney did it.

jwk94

IMO, Megaforce is still the best Neo saban followed by SS, Samurai, then Super Megaforce.

Kind of wonder what gokaiger would be like if Disney did it.

Really depends on which Disney we're talking about. Are we talking early PR Disney or late "we've stopped caring at this point" Disney? if it's the former, it would make SMF look like the worst season, probably. Absolutely no way they wouldn't have gotten back at least their rangers for tributes or the legend war.

Also, the acting would have been great.

Pluto

So do people agree that Samurai was better than Megaforce?
Maybe, but that doesn't really matter, it's still very close to the bottom, a badly written series with horrible direction.

I'm glad Tzachor is gone, maybe the show can become good again without that hack in charge.

The Super Megaforce finale still makes me furios and I bet Saban isn't too happy either, I'm sure they didn't expect the former rangers they flew first class halfway around the world to end up doing cameos that could have been green screened in Los Angeles.

Really depends on which Disney we're talking about. Are we talking early PR Disney or late "we've stopped caring at this point" Disney?
Even after they stopped caring they still pulled off Jungle Fury and RPM, neither was perfect (although many people will disagree with me on RPM) but both seasons had good acting, decent plotting and were generally much more enjoyable than the new Saban stuff. Had Disney adapted Gokaiger it would have been a better season, no matter which Disney.

jwk94

The Super Megaforce finale still makes me furios and I bet Saban isn't too happy either, I'm sure they didn't expect the former rangers they flew first class halfway around the world to end up doing cameos that could have been green screened in Los Angeles.
Judging by the extended finale, Saban probably wasn't happy.

Even after they stopped caring they still pulled off Jungle Fury and RPM, neither was perfect (although many people will disagree with me on RPM) but both seasons had good acting, decent plotting and were generally much more enjoyable than the new Saban stuff. Had Disney adapted Gokaiger it would have been a better season, no matter which Disney.

I'm surprised you liked JF. You have good taste, my friend!

Yeah SMF would have definitely been better with Disney. I'm still miffed that Ryan of all people didn't get to come back. Dude wanted to but then they retracted their offer because of money issues....MONEY ISSUES? Really? He's represents everything original about PR. Getting him back should have been priority number one, after Tommy.

Part of me still wishes Disney was in charge because we probably would have gotten PR representation in Disney Infinity. That would have been amazing.

jwk94

I never noticed this but in both seasons, the megaforce rangers celebrate their victory, knowing full well that there are still remnants of their villains waiting to destroy them. These rangers have got to be the dumbest team we've ever had.

Another double psot? Ugh, sorry.

EDIT:
Dino Charge Blue wants us to give "it's morphin time" a chance. Personally, I don't see the problem with it. I'm more concerned about what actual pose and what they'll say before spinning the barrel (if they spin it).

I know a lot of people are worried about the whole, "it's morphin' time" stuff and to be honest I felt the same way when I saw it in the script. But when it came time for me to say it, I was super stoked because this is a phrase I have been practicing ever since I was a kid! Now I get to say it and morph! Sooooo for my sake, be happy with it and give it a chance

WillyFive

Megaforce didn't even have an ending. What happened to Tensou and Gosei? What happened to the Ernie and the teacher? What happened to anything?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
At least Decade got a movie to tie up loose ends, plus he shows up in the crossover movies.
Unless Lynn and crew decide to go continuity crazy, we're never going to hear from the Megaforce team again.
Another thing that bothers me about that ending is how... "generic" it seemed. Like, this should have been a big deal, they killed the big bad, they met the previous Rangers. Their reaction shouldn't be "well that was fun, let's go home" like it was just another episode.

but that would require new mobirates/belts every few years

Bandai: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

... I don't know how to type the yen symbol.

Slayven

Super Megaforce was just alck luster from top to bottom. There was no sense of urgence except Gosei telling us shit was getting bad. At least Gokai had the fact that the rangers were pirates and could give fuck all about the earth and that the enemy commander was a spoiled dumbass.

WillyFive

Super Megaforce was just alck luster from top to bottom. There was no sense of urgence except Gosei telling us shit was getting bad. At least Gokai had the fact that the rangers were pirates and could give fuck all about the earth and that the enemy commander was a spoiled dumbass.

One of my favorite scenes in Gokaiger was right at the ending, after the Gokaigers had saved the Earth.
A bunch of kids came up to them and wanted to thank them for doing all they did, and they were all like "we didn't save it for you, we just wanted the treasure; so don't thank us because we are not worth it", but of course the kids were having none of that and still thanked and cheered for them as they left. Afterwards they gave back the Keys to their original owners and left to try to make their dreams come true in a different way (since they gave it up to save the Earth).

The Gokaigers, despite literally being pirates, ended up being great role models and really good, nuanced characters that did things because of their own moral code and standard, and not because of some talking head on a wall. Heck, they intentionally ignored the former Sentai members that wanted the Gokaigers to use the treasure (and therefore sacrifice the past Rangers), despite that being the entire drive for their actions across the entire show, because it wasn't what they wanted.

Meanwhile, I didn't get anything like that from Megaforce. They had nothing going on whatsoever.

Slayven

One of my favorite scenes in Gokaiger was right at the ending, after the Gokaigers had saved the Earth.
A bunch of kids came up to them and wanted to thank them for doing all they did, and they were all like "we didn't save it for you, we just wanted the treasure; so don't thank us because we are not worth it", but of course the kids were having none of that and still thanked and cheered for them as they left. Afterwards they gave back the Keys to their original owners and left to try to make their dreams come true in a different way (since they gave it up to save the Earth).

The Gokaigers, despite literally being pirates, ended up being great role models and really good, nuanced characters that did things because of their own moral code and standard, and not because of some talking head on a wall. Heck, they intentionally ignored the former Sentai members that wanted the Gokaigers to use the treasure (and therefore sacrifice the past Rangers), despite that being the entire drive for their actions across the entire show, because it wasn't what they wanted.

Meanwhile, I didn't get anything like that from Megaforce. They had nothing going on whatsoever.

I knew it was fucked when they made the quiet, meek dude some sword training hardass for one episode for no damn reason.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

Call backs

BatDan

I knew it was fucked when they made the quiet, meek dude some sword training hardass for one episode for no damn reason.

There was a reason. "Gokaiger did it" is that reason. So glad Tzachor is gone...
But it shows how big of a mistake it was to combine Goseiger and Gokaiger.

GoseiBlue Hyde was the "smart guy" of the group, always formulating plans and using his Water powers wisely. Noah got the smart guy thing down.
GokaiBlue Joe was a stoic swordsman obsessed with training (basically Roronoa Zoro) and wishing to take down the Zangyack for what they did to his mentor. A completely different character from Hyde. Not that it stopped the writers from turning Noah into Joe despite the fact it made no sense (and his fight with Argus had no weight to it).

Of course, there's Jake... poor dumb Jake.
GoseiBlack Agri was a hot-headed tough guy that loved to train. He constantly showed how tough he was in honor of his tribe. This was adapted into Jake's love of soccer (his only character trait outside of "I want to pork Gia").
GokaiGreen Don is the clumsy comic relief. Not even close to what Agri was like. And when the stock footage showed Green acting like an idiot... yeaaaah. They tried to handwave it a couple of times, but it was still pretty bad.

Troy was probably left as a blank slate due to how drastically different Alata and Marvelous are. But that's likely not what happened. They didn't have the foresight for that, it was just shitty writing.

Only the girls got out sort of unscathed. Gia mostly as she didn't have a single focus episode (and Monue & Luka were pretty similar characters).

jwk94

There was a reason. "Gokaiger did it" is that reason. So glad Tzachor is gone...
But it shows how big of a mistake it was to combine Goseiger and Gokaiger.

GoseiBlue Hyde was the "smart guy" of the group, always formulating plans and using his Water powers wisely. Noah got the smart guy thing down.
GokaiBlue Joe was a stoic swordsman obsessed with training (basically Roronoa Zoro) and wishing to take down the Zangyack for what they did to his mentor. A completely different character from Hyde. Not that it stopped the writers from turning Noah into Joe despite the fact it made no sense (and his fight with Argus had no weight to it).

Of course, there's Jake... poor dumb Jake.
GoseiBlack Agri was a hot-headed tough guy that loved to train. He constantly showed how tough he was in honor of his tribe. This was adapted into Jake's love of soccer (his only character trait outside of "I want to pork Gia").
GokaiGreen Don is the clumsy comic relief. Not even close to what Agri was like. And when the stock footage showed Green acting like an idiot... yeaaaah. They tried to handwave it a couple of times, but it was still pretty bad.

Troy was probably left as a blank slate due to how drastically different Alata and Marvelous are. But that's likely not what happened. They didn't have the foresight for that, it was just shitty writing.

Only the girls got out sort of unscathed. Gia mostly as she didn't have a single focus episode (and Monue & Luka were pretty similar characters).

Gia got out because she just barely passes as a character. She's a ranger and that's practically it. Wait, no, she's also Emma's best friend.

ReiGun

I feel like the Gokaigers and Decade should show up ever few years to reveal Greater Powers and Final Kamen Rides.

I like Decade as he is: showing up in crossovers to fuck around with the new riders and their casts. Hope Tsukasa's actor doesn't get sick of it for a while.

WillyFive

I like Decade as he is: showing up in crossovers to fuck around with the new riders and their casts. Hope Tsukasa's actor doesn't get sick of it for a while.

On the Gokaiger side, GokaiSilver was also one of the best things about SHTZ. Obviously the entire team will be too much for Toei to keep around (and Marvelous's actor is a father now), but I hope at least Gai sticks around, since his actor is also a big Toku fan IRL.

BatDan

So they actually got a new theme? Thank fuck!
It already wins based on not being "Go Go Power Rangers" again. It uses it as a motif but it's not the same exact song.

jwk94

It's not like this is a hobby for him, it's a job.

Love the Dino Charge theme, it sounded odd at first but it's actually kinda awesome.
True true.

So I'm going to make an mp3 of the theme when I get home. I'll post the link in the next hour. What's the best site to upload media files for download?
Edit:
Nevermind just saw the high quality link. Thanks!

In a perfect world, the events of Legendary Battle would have some effect on the world in Dino Charge. I'm not holding my breath though.

NeonZ

On the Gokaiger side, GokaiSilver was also one of the best things about SHTZ. Obviously the entire team will be too much for Toei to keep around (and Marvelous's actor is a father now), but I hope at least Gai sticks around, since his actor is also a big Toku fan IRL.

We should have another anniversary season right after Ninninger, so I guess we'll know if anyone from Gokaiger will be sticking around. Even if there aren't crossovers in the tv show, it likely will have a movie with returning heroes.

The spring movies sound like they're going to be Rider focused now though, so it lessens the overall chances of returning actors from Sentai.

jwk94

Pre-thanksgiving dinner workout with boys so we can eat all the foods tonight!
The fourth person isn't Michael. Hmm

B3ftKngCQAAs7yy.jpg:large

I demand a shirtless morph/training session this season!

https://twitter.com/Yoshistunts/status/538159461311860736

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Heard the Dino Charge theme. It's...pretty good. SUPER strong Digimon Frontier vibes. And of course, Go Go Power Rangers is in there, but it sounds good.

But goddamnit the "Rangers Forever, ______, all together" shit needs to stop. Why do they keep rehashing that one line?

(The theme's on the Dino Charge Scanner app, by the way.)

Top Bottom