• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

WillyFive

I really hope Linkara's video on Megaforce isn't full of fan-wanking...
At least he openly said the season sucked and Gosei was a terrible mentor.

It will certainly be way too long, full of nonsensical complaints, fanfiction as a substitute for actual analysis, rampant misinformation due to intentional ignorance of the source material, and will leave you wondering why you ever waited for the review.

I'm looking forward to it.

javadoze

wtf is fan wanking?

From Urban Dictionary:

To fill in plot holes or explain away lapses in continuity in fictional works by coming up with (often convoluted) explanations of how it could have happened.

Yeah, Linkara does engage in this from time to time, but I don't think anyone can defend the rushed and lazy ways Megaforce handles its plots, powerups, and etc.

jwk94

From Urban Dictionary:

To fill in plot holes or explain away lapses in continuity in fictional works by coming up with (often convoluted) explanations of how it could have happened.

Yeah, Linkara does engage in this from time to time, but I don't think anyone can defend the rushed and lazy ways Megaforce handles its plots, powerups, and etc.

ah that makes sense. Thanks.

Corgi

Banned
gonna take an hr to explain why tommy had saba at the suv but ended up in his green ranger suit. Maybe those were 2 different tommy's!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
aZvkb1F.png

javadoze

Maybe the reason why the Gaim v-cinema exists is because some disgruntled Bandai executive stormed the Toei offices after Gaim finished up and yelled "WHERE'S MY JINBA MELON!?!" and handed them a wad of cash to film it.

I can dream...

Also, Ninninger will probably get revealed in a week if the stars align and nothing weird happens this year that holds the leaks back.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So Ninnijer is humor Sentai again huh

Why can't they make a "normal" Sentai anymore? I mean, it doesn't have to be GB serious.

LostAnkh

Maybe the reason why the Gaim v-cinema exists is because some disgruntled Bandai executive stormed the Toei offices after Gaim finished up and yelled "WHERE'S MY JINBA MELON!?!" and handed them a wad of cash to film it.

I can dream...

Also, Ninninger will probably get revealed in a week if the stars align and nothing weird happens this year that holds the leaks back.
That scene in the soccer movie where he grabs the Melon Energy Lockseed was a tease.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm hoping the 2017 Sentai has a darker tone, by then the memory of Go-Busters failing should have left.
I'd say 2016, but that's the 40th Anniversary, and it will probably be light in tone.

I'm hoping the 2017 Sentai has a darker tone, by then the memory of Go-Busters failing should have left.
I'd say 2016, but that's the 40th Anniversary, and it will probably be light in tone.

Go-Buster had a Red that completely froze up because of chickens.

Modern Sentai is frequently on the light side of things.

NeonZ

Just before that was the rumor that Sentai 2015 would be another bird themed show.

Let's chill with the acting like "rumors" meaning anything.

In this case, that came from a reliable source that has leaked real information before, not random 2ch posts like most of those random theme rumors.

Still, the rumor here just said:
- The cast makes it seem like this is going to be a bright show
So, it doesn't even sound like they were completely sure about it, and it's a vague "bright" not humor.

javadoze

Yeah, modern Sentai never really treads into the seriously dark territory that some 90s Sentai venture into. Compared to something like, say, Jetman, Go-Busters rarely gets as serious from episode to episode. The whole "dark" thing was just a thing said by Toei execs to handwave the failure of Go-Busters.

Kyoryuger can be described as over-the-top (not really a comedy Sentai, though they really border on that with some of the filler episodes) and ToQger is... certainly not comedic (the villains are way too straightforward for a comedy Sentai.)

Though this makes me wonder when the last, true comedy Sentai really was (not counting Akibaranger).

Yeah, modern Sentai never really treads into the seriously dark territory that some 90s Sentai venture into. Compared to something like, say, Jetman, Go-Busters rarely gets as serious from episode to episode. The whole "dark" thing was just a thing said by Toei execs to handwave the failure of Go-Busters.

Kyoryuger can be described as over-the-top (not really a comedy Sentai, though they really border on that with some of the filler episodes) and ToQger is... certainly not comedic (the villains are way too straightforward for a comedy Sentai.)

Though this makes me wonder when the last, true comedy Sentai really was (not counting Akibaranger).

Comedy? Carranger was the last outright one. Go-Onger was on the lighter side for a good while.

NeonZ

Shows like Go-onger and Toqger have almost completely comedy dominated episodic stories, even if their main plotlines are taken seriously, unlike Carranger. They aren't parody, but I really think they can be considered comedic.

WillyFive

You guys gotta watch Carranger if you haven't, by the way. It's excellent, both really smart and hilarious. You could tell everyone in the production loved what they were doing. Akibaranger owes a lot to it.

I don't mind lighthearted Sentai, but I expect it to be fun. Kyoryuger had a great balance between seriousness and comedy, but ToQger isn't really good at any of them. Go-Busters was good at the serious parts, but it's lighthearted parts were really, really bland (outside of the one episode where J has to get a banana).

I'm interesting in seeing the Ninninger suits, considering the positive reactions to them from those who have seen them.

jwk94

So I bought the Dino Charge morpher. It's my first morpher in 9 years. I like it but it's kinda small.

While I was at Toys R Us, I also saw the Legacy Dragon Dagger and Green Power Morpher. I had seen the morpher before, but never really looked at it. Jesus, the legacy items are huge! The dagger is about the size of my forearm. I think I'll pick up both when I have some extra cash. Really excited to see how big Saba is.

Corgi

Banned
So I bought the Dino Charge morpher. It's my first morpher in 9 years. I like it but it's kinda small.

While I was at Toys R Us, I also saw the Legacy Dragon Dagger and Green Power Morpher. I had seen the morpher before, but never really looked at it. Jesus, the legacy items are huge! The dagger is about the size of my forearm. I think I'll pick up both when I have some extra cash. Really excited to see how big Saba is.

yeah legacy are prop size. Heck I think they were used for legendary war lol.

Dragon Dagger is sex.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
GB was more "grounded" than it is dark, but you must admit, it has dark shit you normally wouldn't see nowadays.
Their original goal never obtained, one of the team members forsake his chance to live, etc

I feel like I'm the only one who thinks it's the best Kobayashi Sentai, probably due to being a bit more meddled by execs to prevent the typical Kobayashi plot cooldown.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wait wait wait....that was Legacy Saba Tommy pulled from the heavens?

"Hey kids, you want to be like Tommy? Now you too can own Saba! Legacy Saba available in stores now!"
"Now you too can save kids from falling cars in a scene that rips off The Amazing Spider-Man"

jwk94

"Hey kids, you want to be like Tommy? Now you too can own Saba! Legacy Saba available in stores now!"
"Now you too can save kids from falling cars in a scene that rips off The Amazing Spider-Man"
Shit that's the perfect marketing right there! Need to go look at that scene again.

could be. Or a prototype for that.

I feel like gokaiger or that parody sentai used legacy toys.

Gokaiger predates the legacy toyline though.

Corgi

Banned
Shit that's the perfect marketing right there! Need to go look at that scene again.

Gokaiger predates the legacy toyline though.

i'm betting the legacy saba will look better than a prop from 20 years ago if that even exists :p

Yeah, super megaforce makes you forget gokaiger was a while back.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Ninninger scan picture is out there. Suits look fucking awesome. Also we have female pink/female white for the first time since Changeman. And also the rare male yellow.

We've never had a Red/Blue/Yellow/White/Pink lineup before, actually.

EDIT: It's not a magazine scan, but a picture of a banner, so I suppose it's okay to post:

4APIgT2.png

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
There's no source on that picture yet so it's still just a rumor afaic.

That said I hate the pink and white with some pink on it combo.

Ninninger scan picture is out there. Suits look fucking awesome. Also we have female pink/female white for the first time since Changeman. And also the rare male yellow.

EDIT: It's not a magazine scan, but a picture of a banner, so I suppose it's okay to post:

4APIgT2.png

I'm mad digging the color combos. Male yellow. Pink and white together.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

4APIgT2.png

im feeling these suits. much more that i was toq(im still not to be honest. theyre just so boring)

javadoze

Digging the new color combination (I was pretty disappointed when ToQger didn't follow up a do something new color-wise after Kyoryuger). Plus the return of white and a male yellow is great. Not sure if I'm digging the visors, though (though the shuriken-shaped visors kinda make sense). The sash is kinda neat, I guess, and finally I'm assuming that the flower/shuriken thingamajigs on their swords are the widgets for this show.

EDIT: It might be a fake? Some people are noting the lack of a Toei copyright on the side (with the only copyright being "SUN STAR")

EDIT EDIT: http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2014/12/01/shuriken-sentai-ninninger-team-logo-design-revealed/
Okay, so that makes things more clear. T-T-T is a copyright abbreviation for Toei stuff and SUNSTAR is a stationary company that produces stuff for Sentai and Ultraman.

WarRock

Not digging the white point at the top of the visors, but the rest seems tight (yellow, specially).

Yellow/Red and Blue/Pink have similar visors, interesting. Also, agreed with Panda, why use pink lines for the White ranger if you already have a Pink one? =/

Top Bottom