• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

vareon

I think sentai goes a little too far beyond the threshold most American's suspension of disbelief is willing to go.

I fully agree with this. We have people asking why build robots to fight monsters in a Pacific Rim thread or why would one have a light-hilt lightsaber. Japanse Tokusatsu also favors style a lot more than US superheroes.

I don't think a hollywood Kamen Rider movie has a place today. Power Rangers has nostalgia factor and renewing old properties has been done since the last few years. Kamen Rider had no such nostalgia ties, and with the barrage of Marvel and DC's superheroes movies I don't think it would do well at all.

But enough being negative! Cars! Trains! Ninjas! Wolves!

javadoze

So, in the show, Kamen Rider Mach is...
Kiriko's younger brother, Go Shijima.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pBwdPPM7C
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEp2dcKG-go Holy crap Kouta is short
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baJRm7MGu_c
I still love the fact that Shinnosuke wears the Drive Brace thingy no matter what (even after the most recent episodes where he's almost been found out while wearing the brace.)
Wasn't Den-o super popular with older women?
This interview with Naomi Takebe states that the leads in Kamen Rider are usually pretty men in their 20s because housewives would watch the show with their kids and became a periphery demographic (also known as the Ikemen Boom).

WillyFive

Kamen Rider Summonride 3rd trailer

This game is looking pretty fun for me so far. I'm digging the rider chips you can use to either change states or summon an assist Rider. Im also liking the 5 elements thing. Some Riders with a different element can access areas others cant.

I think it was obviously a different game that had the Rider license added at the last second; they look remarkably out of place in that world.

I wonder why they haven't used the Veautiful Joe gameplay formula for a Rider game; it's the perfect way to do it.

WarRock

Yeah, not only the narrative used in toku is too "out of place" for TV to most people, the entire tone, tropes and presentation scream "over the top comic/cartoon stuff", not "real acting stuff people over 12 can enjoy".

The Pacific Rim example is spot on. And I hear that Arrow/Flash are "Smallville shit" all the time. Everybody expects fantasy/surreal/heroics live action to have a Lord of the Rings/Iron Man presentation.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The Pacific Rim example is spot on. And I hear that Arrow/Flash are "Smallville shit" all the time. Everybody expects fantasy/surreal/heroics live action to have a Lord of the Rings/Iron Man presentation.

That's just sad...
When did people stop having fun?

WarRock

Apparently, it's ok to watch youtube poop videos but not enjoy different narrative structures. Beats me, I think I am ok with almost anything because I've read stuff from a lot of different places and time periods when younger.

WillyFive

Stylistic stuff like Scott Pilgrim and Speed Racer bomb in movie theaters; and yet really loud, noisy, obnoxious stuff like Transformers make a killing. It sucks.

Honestly, Arrow and Flash bore me too. They are too watered down, too restrained; when one does that it just makes the super-heroic stuff seem really campy and cheesy, because it stands out too much.

WarRock

Yesterday's crossover episode tho'

dat fight

Holy shit. Last time TV toku impressed me like that was, what? Gokaiger?

And, man. I could tell terrifying stories about how people have a hard time accepting different aesthetics or unorthodox themes on TV shows/movies. I am from the fucking soap opera country.

KingDirk

So my boss had an old Japanese origami book lying around. Jokingly, I flipped through looking for a Kamen Rider origami.

Welp.

0Ye3w8o.jpg

d6LEf01.jpg

javadoze

The challenge, show a paper and yell henshin, then try to fold it as quickly as possible

I'd imagine a ninja rider would do that.

Speaking of ninjas... I started watching Kakuranger in anticipation of Ninninger. I'm up to episode 4 now and I can't help but love how over-the-top the series is in its monster designs (Taxi yokai and trashcan yokai especially) and the heroes just messing around a bunch.

Also, seeing how we're close to Friday in Japan, I guess the scans for Ninninger are going to leak soon.

EDIT: Looks like a spoke too soon. A small magazine scan shown off a little bit of the team's mech which looks a bit similar to the Castlemech that was in Kakuranger.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'd imagine a ninja rider would do that.

Speaking of ninjas... I started watching Kakuranger in anticipation of Ninninger. I'm up to episode 4 now and I can't help but love how over-the-top the series is in its monster designs (Taxi yokai and trashcan yokai especially) and the heroes just messing around a bunch.

Also, seeing how we're close to Friday in Japan, I guess the scans for Ninninger are going to leak soon.

EDIT: Looks like a spoke too soon. A small magazine scan shown off a little bit of the team's mech which looks a bit similar to the Castlemech that was in Kakuranger.)

Apparently that might just be red's robot?

KingDirk

I am imagining a Kinect or some type of minigame where you perform a henshin and your success at performing the movements effects your stats and how armored you get.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Also, apparently the next SHT is "Kamen Rider Drive VS All Riders: Kamen Rider Taisen The Second!"

If true, I'm guessing for some reason Kamen Riders are going to be wanted by the police, and Drive has to catch them.

Wait? Yuuto/Zeronos might be Blue? I'm down. He did just come back to acting...

H-HOLY FUCK.

I'm fucking in if true. I'm fucking in. Love that guy, even when he played that shitty fucker from Hibiki, Yuuto-san was amazing.

Hopefully he can convince Takeru Satoh to come back for the Den-O reunion. :(

Also, apparently the next SHT is "Kamen Rider Drive VS All Riders: Kamen Rider Taisen The Second!"

If true, I'm guessing for some reason Kamen Riders are going to be wanted by the police, and Drive has to catch them.

At long last we can finally jail Tendou for being so charming and game breaking.

Hopefully he can convince Takeru Satoh to come back for the Den-O reunion. :

HAHA...sadly I don't see that ever happening, especially after all that recent Kenshin money/fame.

Ah, it would be interesting if true.

jwk94

Yuuto looks so different now...I feel so old!!

EDIT:
So i'm going to a rrelatives for the holidays...is it safe to travel with a Dragon Dagger??

I honestly haven't heard that issue with him, I think it's just that he had enough of Den-O and wanted to move on. Before Decade not many Rider actors reprised their roles like he did post main series with Climax Deka and Final Countdown.

I think Philip's actor is the one with his agency wanting him to stay away from the series.

Speaking of Den-O, I really wanted Hana to come back, but sadly that never came to be...and I think her actress quit the industry.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Speaking of Den-O, I really wanted Hana to come back, but sadly that never came to be...and I think her actress quit the industry.

Pretty sure the rumor is she was harassed, and due to how sexist the industry is over there, she was basically asked to stay quiet about it, and probably dropped out since her career was effectively ruined.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Now that there's a clearer picture, I like it!
Odd that they're going for a naming scheme similar to Goranger rather than sticking with the usual Engrish. But I guess since Kakuranger already did "Ninja Red, Ninja White, etc.", this is a way around it.

Corgi

Banned
The base toys include Red, Blue, and White Henshin items? A lady takes the third spot in importance? I'm all for that possibility.
reminds me of being surprised that pink is part of the default setup of kyorujin.

such a contract vs shinkenger where the girls had like no origamis and their units were were glued on the side of the final mecha.

Top Bottom