• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

javadoze

Does White look small to anyone? Could we do a fully pre-teen Sentai hero?

It's probably more her positioning in the poster more than anything, though it would be a strange coincidence to have another super-young White who's also a ninja (seeing Tsuruhime in Kakuranger was, like 14 or 15).

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Well the suit budget is definitely higher! I like. Gonna be funny when they try and bring this to the states. May have to finally break down and make the yellow ranger a man, cause this yellow looks pretty buff.

Hard to make out what the morpher is going to be, surely it's not the ninjato they are holding as it is so big (oh shit did I get ninninto right?)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Well the suit budget is definitely higher! I like. Gonna be funny when they try and bring this to the states. May have to finally break down and make the yellow ranger a man, cause this yellow looks pretty buff.

Hard to make out what the morpher is going to be, surely it's not the ninjato they are holding as it is so big (oh shit did I get ninninto right?)

Ninja Storm's yellow was male.

sprsk

Ah you are right! Funny it was the other Ninja series. At any rate, further inspection leads me to believe those sword things have a circular symbol on them that look slike it might spin and then light up the lights just above it on the sword handle? Those symbols might be the "shurikens" aka the henshin trinket for this year. (kinda lame since I feel like they just did this with shinkenger, but we shall see...)

Defuser

Ninninger scan picture is out there. Suits look fucking awesome. Also we have female pink/female white for the first time since Changeman. And also the rare male yellow.

Funny how the last yellow male ranger in sentai was Hurricanger,another ninja theme. Hopefully they go Kakuranger style.

Pluto

So was Mystic Force's.

Funny how the last yellow male ranger in sentai was Hurricanger,another ninja theme.
Magiranger! Why is everyone forgetting Magi/Mystic Force. :( It was a great sentai, one of the best of the 00's.

I love another male yellow but I'm not fond white and pink on the same team, at least this white, why does the suit have pink accents? They don't give another ranger random accents that no one else has.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So was Mystic Force's.

Magiranger! Why is everyone forgetting Magi/Mystic Force. :( It was a great sentai, one of the best of the 00's.

I love another male yellow but I'm not fond white and pink on the same team, at least this white, why does the suit have pink accents? They don't give another ranger random accents that no one else has.

Callback to Changeman, I suppose. And Gaoranger.

vlcsnap-7226851.jpg

Prwf-white.png

And furthermore, making white's trim/accents pink instead of white like the others makes sense. The trim is there to separate parts of the suit. If you make white's trim white, it might as well not even be there, and it ends up making the whole suit look weird.

Pluto

Callback to Changeman, I suppose. And Gaoranger.
I didn't like it in Changeman either, I didn't mind Gaoranger though, there was nompink so the pink accents on white didn't bother me.

And furthermore, making white's trim/accents pink instead of white like the others makes sense. The trim is there to separate parts of the suit. If you make white's trim white, it might as well not even be there, and it ends up making the whole suit look weird.
I generally dislike accent colors that are also a core team member's color, Carranger's yellow chest square etc. for example. The trim probably could and should have been black or silver for everyone, not white for all except white and pink for her.

WarRock

Wait, does that mean we may get an all ninja teams movie like the dinossaurs one? Neat.

Pink is hardly the only option though.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
ToQger 38

More comedy... yep... Hikari got a brief moment to shine, but Kagura stole it.
At least next week looks better.

I heard that Jun Shison (Right) reported on his blog that this was the last "funny" episode. Implying there were even funny episodes to begin with...

Drive 08

Door Gun.
Door Gun.
Door. Gun.
... Sure why not?!
Looks like Machine Chaser is starting to get a little "internal conflict".

*on the possible Ninninger suits*
They look good, I like the face designs. Interesting they're doing both Pink and White. Also, a Male Yellow means every Ninja Sentai has had a Male Yellow.

Tenumi

Banned
If those are indeed the actual Ninninger suits, I like them. Helmets are particulary interesting to me, and the color/gender choices are interesting as well.

Also, in Drive news, Door Gun had me laughing quite a bit when it showed up. I like this season so far.

https://twitter.com/solaris_1976/status/539314786379366400

Requoting from /krg/.

I know you guys heard about the Baron/Zangetsu V-cinema, but some more info has come out of it.

Daisuke Ishibashi, the guy who wrote the first Net Movies for Kiva's movie and the most recent Net Movies for Wizard's movie confirmed that there will be no more Net Movies and we will be getting MORE V-cinemas and stuff instead.

I'd like V-cinemas, but I would miss the net movies. Wizard's net movies were the best thing about that show.

WillyFive

Net Movies were the most honest, sincere, love letter to the fans and production crew of each show that they could make. But if they had to choose between those and new stories for the show's characters, then I suppose it's not as bad a deal they could have.

Carter's like "what the hell are you doing?"

What's even more interesting is how Gekiyellow is blocking the light from the sun....in a helmet that leaves you blind if you put it on.

Of course, since it's not a character that got a closeup, it may just be the stage show version of the helmets that have the little holes in them.

WarRock

Just give me more "WA-CHA Corner" style shorts with the stunt actors talking with each other and I am ok with no netmovies.

javadoze

Just give me more "WA-CHA Corner" style shorts with the stunt actors talking with each other and I am ok with no netmovies.

Actually, I change my mind. Those parts in the Decade and Fourze net movies where they talked about suit acting were pretty cool. Seems like a pretty underappreciated profession in tokusatsu in general.

jwk94

Honest question, what's the difference between Superhero movies and Sentai/Rider/PR? Like I know rubber people in suits VS CGI or people in costume but what else? I'm probably being ignorant, but I don't see why people dismiss Toku but then readily accept superhero movies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Honest question, what's the difference between Superhero movies and Sentai/Rider/PR? Like I know rubber people in suits VS CGI or people in costume but what else? I'm probably being ignorant, but I don't see why people dismiss Toku but then readily accept superhero movies.

I posed this question to a friend of mine once, actually. His answer? "It's too over the top".

Yeah, I dunno.

Nothing technically. Realistically, tone. TV Toku has a different tone. Japanese toku done like American superhero films turns out like Kamen Rider The First.

Rider/Sentai is closer to things like Arrow, Flash, and Agents of SHIELD, albiet aiming for a young age group. Drive would be built in a completely different way if it was aiming for the 18-24 demo.

NeonZ

V-Cinema also have the advantage of being focused on the fanbase itself, so they generally can get away with more than the current tv shows.

sprsk

Nothing technically. Realistically, tone. TV Toku has a different tone. Japanese toku done like American superhero films turns out like Kamen Rider The First.

Rider/Sentai is closer to things like Arrow, Flash, and Agents of SHIELD, albiet aiming for a young age group. Drive would be built in a completely different way if it was aiming for the 18-24 demo.

Typically American superheroes powers are given some sort of logical reason (gamma rays, super genius made a suit, mutant) as to why they have powers\how their powers work. Japanese sentai heroes basically have powers because reasons. Kamen Rider is better at this, but super sentai is basically just like hey I got this thing and shit just kinda appears out of no where. It's like the diff between spiderman and tokkyuger is that spidermans powers came from a spider bite, he just happens to wear a suit. Tokkyuger and other sentai is basically, the suit is the power and the power is basically "i dunno they got 'powers' i guess".

I think sentai goes a little too far beyond the threshold most American's suspension of disbelief is willing to go.

BatDan

You know, with the Hoenn Rangers in Pokemon ORAS, I've been wondering...
What original Toku characters/teams are there in games?

I know of:
Featherman R in Persona 4 (I know it's based on Jetman, but I'm still including it)
The Axem Rangers in Super Mario RPG
The Prism Rangers in Disgaea
Viewtiful Joe
The Wonderful 101

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
You know, with the Hoenn Rangers in Pokemon ORAS, I've been wondering...
What original Toku characters/teams are there in games?

I know of:
Featherman R in Persona 4 (I know it's based on Jetman, but I'm still including it)
The Axem Rangers in Super Mario RPG
The Prism Rangers in Disgaea
Viewtiful Joe
The Wonderful 101

Mad Midget Five in God Hand.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

It's the closest thing I got to a weekly kung fu show.

BatDan

Typically American superheroes powers are given some sort of logical reason (gamma rays, super genius made a suit, mutant) as to why they have powers\how their powers work. Japanese sentai heroes basically have powers because reasons. Kamen Rider is better at this, but super sentai is basically just like hey I got this thing and shit just kinda appears out of no where. It's like the diff between spiderman and tokkyuger is that spidermans powers came from a spider bite, he just happens to wear a suit. Tokkyuger and other sentai is basically, the suit is the power and the power is basically "i dunno they got 'powers' i guess".

I think sentai goes a little too far beyond the threshold most American's suspension of disbelief is willing to go.

Going by this line of thinking, it would make sense for Hollywood to remake Kamen Rider.
At least the original Kamen Rider has an origin for his powers and that's something they'd gravitate towards.

... Crap, the PR movie is going to waste so much time on an origin story isn't it.

Corgi

Banned
i feel like people could get into garo.

Heck it probably could build a decent following on gaf if there was a decent way to stream (and not just tv-n on youtube).

javadoze

What episode is that?

The Bogy episodes were the ones with the monster with no legs/slapstick powers, and the Myna Bird episodes were the Rinko/Shunpei-focused ones with a super-depressed Victim of the Week who
falls into despair anyways and, rather than treating the whole thing as a horrifying event, the show treats it as a joke.

I admit, I'd kill for a mid-budget American Kamen Rider film. I was sad when The First films petered out.

The Guvyer was a mess, but Guyver 2 was pretty enjoyable American toku.

WillyFive

Production values primarily. Also the fact that Sentai and Kamen Rider are made for five year olds, the adult audience is an afterthought.

Well, not really an afterthought; they do a lot of effort to attract the older female demographic as well, both in casting and dramatic writing. It's the older male demographic that they don't really consider or care much about (at least, what can't be mistaken for the production crew engaging in their own desires, a la Akibaranger and any Sakamoto movie).

If I remember correctly, Rider and Sentai's main demographics are young boys first, older women second, male and female adult collectors third. The adult fans usually are the ones who will buy the Premium Bandai toys, photo books, the stupidly expensive Blu-rays, etc.

Slayven

If I remember correctly, Rider and Sentai's main demographics are young boys first, older women second, male and female adult collectors third. The adult fans usually are the ones who will buy the Premium Bandai toys, photo books, the stupidly expensive Blu-rays, etc.

Wasn't Den-o super popular with older women?

Top Bottom