• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

vareon

reminds me of being surprised that pink is part of the default setup of kyorujin.

such a contract vs shinkenger where the girls had like no origamis and their units were were glued on the side of the final mecha.

Hey now, Shinkenger has Shiba Kaoru.

Nudull

Banned
Recently watched the regular version of Power Rangers Super Megaforce's finale. It was meeeeeeeh. Hope the extended edition's a little better.

I've always wanted to get more into the toku genre, so I'll be sticking around. c:

jwk94

Recently watched the regular version of Power Rangers Super Megaforce's finale. It was meeeeeeeh. Hope the extended edition's a little better.

I've always wanted to get more into the toku genre, so I'll be sticking around. c:
Wait why did you watch the regular version?

Hey now, Shinkenger has Shiba Kaoru.
Who promptly got her ass handed to her. =/

Nudull

Banned
Wait why did you watch the regular version?

I didn't realized that was an extended version until later. Pretty stupid move by Saban to not just air the newer cut first (considering how much they've hyped this thing), but whatever.

Wow. Those designs are amazing. Practically day and night from ToQger. Interesting that they're bringing back the Goranger style naming, I thought they would've held it for the 40th or 50th anniversary.

javadoze

Seeing as the sleeves first appeared gray-ish silver, I'm pretty happy to find out that they're actually jet black. Also, the helmet tops look way better here than in the previous photo.

I'm really really liking these designs now and I hope the crew announcements make it even better from here.

I really think Toei has an A Team and B Team. And they alternate years.

Not teams, but Sentai has a clear pattern where the odd number years usually outdo the even number years.

Odd:
Kyoryuger
Gokaiger
Shinkenger
Gekiranger
Magiranger

Even:
ToQger
Go-Busters
Goseiger
Go-Onger
Boukenger

Though writers carry over. Same writing team on Gekiranger and Goseiger. Same writer on Shinkenger and ToQger. It COULD be a production thing where they try to save a little by only going all out every other year, but I dunno. So far the pattern has held for me since Gaoranger. Dekaranger being the exception.

Oh, and the 90s don't count because they're all awesome.

javadoze

Oh, and the 90s don't count because they're all awesome.

I think 90s stuff usually had a more definite creative focus with the writing teams and other creative staff (it felt as if Toei just let them do whatever they wanted). Nowadays, it feels as if Bandai picks the theme and has Toei run with it (though to what extent, I don't know).

shaowebb

Zeronos returns!?

^ this made my day. I loved the Sakurai Yuuto character from Den O and seeing the actor come back to play Kamen Rider Zeronos again for the new movie is awesome. Guess his time train is coming into play in the whole crossover with Black.

EDIT: oh wait...it doesn't say at all if he's Zeronos or some other character. I'm betting its Zeronos but hey if the whole list of other rumors is true Im fine. Just nice to see him come back.

WillyFive

I really think Toei has an A Team and B Team. And they alternate years.

I honestly believed this when I saw these shows for the first time. There had to be a reason as to why a show would be amazing one year and then be terrible the next.

Turns out it's a lot more complex than that, but it might as well be because it has yet to fail.

Slayven

I mean it is just a poster but the designs of the mecha and suits is streets ahead of toqer. Like they actually put thought into it.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Zeronos returns!?

^ this made my day. I loved the Sakurai Yuuto character from Den O and seeing the actor come back to play Kamen Rider Zeronos again for the new movie is awesome. Guess his time train is coming into play in the whole crossover with Black.

EDIT: oh wait...it doesn't say at all if he's Zeronos or some other character. I'm betting its Zeronos but hey if the whole list of other rumors is true Im fine. Just nice to see him come back.

He's rumored to be the Blue Ninninger, so he'll likely be playing that for their end cameo...but hey, maybe he'll get to play both?

KingDirk

So I've been marathoning Carranger since my wife is out of town right now and holy moly is this show becoming a favorite of mine. Signalman (the OG G-3) has just been introduced and he makes a fantastic addition to the show's already good dynamic.

As to the Nininger leaks, that poster looks pretty dope, and if Yuuto does end up playing a part I wonder if I'll be able to sell my wife on giving the show a chance. Granted, it be an easier sell if it was Deneb, but I'll never be that lucky.

WarRock

I may start Shinkenger now that O-T released more than half of it and my vacation is almost here O=

I mean it is just a poster but the designs of the mecha and suits is streets ahead of toqer. Like they actually put thought into it.

You have to try really hard to care less about the mecha designs than ToQ.

Slayven

Nah it's not even that. Even the worst designs can be tolerable in a show if you enjoy other things about it.
Kamen_Rider_Meteor.jpg

I may start Shinkenger now that O-T released more than half of it and my vacation is almost here O=

You have to try really hard to care less about the mecha designs than ToQ.

Before Toqer I would have said train mecha would have been impossible to get wrong, but damn it if Toei did not prove me wrong.

WillyFive

The only Fourze design that was not good was Meteor Storm, and that was only because of the shade of blue used.

I like assymetrical designs, they look really interesting visually, which is a big plus when the suit will be moving a lot during action scenes. Suits with too much straight lines (like ToQ-6 and Gingaman) just end up looking clunky and bland.

WarRock

I would argue that wasn't the only problem with Meteor Storm. The "meteor tail" on his head really didn't work symmetrical like that, plus the saturated red eyes...

And the whole fact that was a lazy power up. They doubled the meteor tail on his head and on his shoulder, turned the silver gold and the black blue. No new details, no extra armor... the golden knees are so ugly too, ugh.

I would argue that wasn't the only problem with Meteor Storm. The "meteor tail" on his head really didn't work symmetrical like that, plus the saturated red eyes...

And the whole fact that was a lazy power up. They doubled the meteor tail on his head and on his shoulder, turned the silver gold and the black blue. No new details, no extra armor... the golden knees are so ugly too, ugh.

His finisher was also kinda lame.

WillyFive

Hey now, GB was a better Kobayashi show than Shinkenger

No it wasn't. Shinkenger had every Ranger be a likable character (unlike GB where we had to endure a dozen episodes with the Jerk ranger, the old guy, and the child before J and Jin showed up), and Shinkenger had a consistent plot from beginning to end (unlike GB with is first half and the entirely different second half).

I would love to see more adventures staring the Shinkenger, but if I never saw the Go-Busters again, I wouldn't miss them.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
No it wasn't. Shinkenger had every Ranger be a likable character (unlike GB where we had to endure a dozen episodes with the Jerk ranger, the old guy, and the child before J and Jin showed up), and Shinkenger had a consistent plot from beginning to end (unlike GB with is first half and the entirely different second half).

I would love to see more adventures staring the Shinkenger, but if I never saw the Go-Busters again, I wouldn't miss them.

First half and second half are related though. And who says every character has to be likeable? Hell, I think Takeru still needs more scolding and Chiaki needs some more slapping. Also J and Jin showed up rather quickly. Also unlike the other Kobayashi shows it didn't have much of the "Kobayashi meander" moments.

NeonZ

Shinkenger had a "consistent plot from beginning to the ending" because there was barely any plot in the middle. The only real plot threads thrown there were Takeru's rivalry with Juzou and Akumaro's plan. But Akumaro's plan in the end was just a 20 episode filler that had no point to it at all and to top it all
couldn't ever succeed because he misunderstood Juzou's nature
, while Juzou's and Takeru's rivalry just kept hitting the same points (We're similar! No, we aren't!) without ever going anywhere.

There wasn't even character development in the middle. Every other character became completely static after episode 13 or so. Chiaki is a big example of that. In the first few episodes, he goes from a slacker to someone working to surpass Takeru... but then his character just gets stuck there, without any further progress or tension in the "surpass Takeru" plotline, just the show reaffirming that he wanted to do that someday. Someone like Kotoha had development near the end of the series, but that basically came at the cost of her character being completely frozen beforehand.

Really, I'd easily take two plotlines to one plotline that's overextended and needs a bunch of pointless extras to fill episodes. Look at Akumaro's plotline. If Doukoku had been killed early and his plotline entirely resolved, then Akumaro's own story could have shone without being overshadowed by another villain above him. I don't see why making Akumaro's story a side show that couldn't impact the main plot just to extend Doukoku's own is somehow a superior choice to just splitting the show into separate arcs.

WarRock

(unlike GB where we had to endure a dozen episodes with the Jerk ranger, the old guy, and the child before J and Jin showed up), (...)

You see, I disagree with that =D

The "whole another thing during the latter half" can be applied to other series too. And GoBus actually managed it VERY WELL. The Gavan episodes, for instance, were better written and advanced more plot and characters than the ToQ/Kikaider episodes in Gaim.

javadoze

Another small scan just came out of the main mech that confirms the switchable mechanic mentioned in the rumors. Also, the return of musical sound bits (which is a love or hate thing depending on your feelings on Kyoryuzin).

KingDirk

Speaking of Kyoryuzin, how do people feel about that show's pacing? I really enjoyed it, but there was a stretch where the villains were scrambling and ineffectual themselves and I feel like some people here would have hated that.

I find Sentai tends to have a very straight forward story progression.

Opening Episodes (Introducing the basic premise) > Ranger-Specific Episodes > Introduce the Sixth > Ranger-Specific Episodes > Mecha Upgrade > Ranger-Specific Episodes > Main Story Rising Action > Finale.

The shows vary within this formula and Go-Busters said "screw it", but it largely works out.

WillyFive

Speaking of Kyoryuzin, how do people feel about that show's pacing? I really enjoyed it, but there was a stretch where the villains were scrambling and ineffectual themselves and I feel like some people here would have hated that.

I love Kyoryuger, each episode felt worthwhile to watch; and the villains were awesome and likable characters. Villains don't need to be competent villains to be good characters.

javadoze

I love Kyoryuger, each episode felt worthwhile to watch; and the villains were awesome and likable characters. Villains don't need to be competent villains to be good characters.

Yeah, with Kyoryuger, each episode felt jam-packed and great even if some of them were filler episodes. Even then, they still kept referencing back to what's going on in the main story so it never feels truly "filler-y".

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kyoryuger would be my number one series if Dekaranger didn't exist.The last 5 episodes were such a ride.

The fact that the last three episodes of Deka take place in the span of one day always blows my mind. That's gotta be the single roughest day any Sentai team has ever had.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I think I would be enjoying Drive more if they cut out the fucked up editing during the fight scenes. It gives my eyes spasms.

Corgi

Banned
its crazy. toku's been doing 'highspeed' fights for years. Gobuster, faiz, a few decade eps, just in the recent years.

no reason drive has to look so... its worse than shaky cam.

Top Bottom