• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I remembered the intro of GoBusters used Wikipedia text.

I think the last Metal Hero with a mecha was Jiraya. None of the later ones had giant robots or something comparable, just vehicles if anything.

Didn't Rescue-themed Metal Heroes have mecha?

jwk94

iBGgvOnR1Vi29.gif

Oh Andros.

I remembered the intro of GoBusters used Wikipedia text.

Didn't Rescue-themed Metal Heroes have mecha?

The Tomica Heros?

RPM is the closest a PR season has gotten to being decent television. It deserves recognition.

So SPD didn't do that work? Time Force? Ninja Storm? Dino Thunder to a lesser degree.

Am I the only one that hates red only/ or single power ups? Team power ups should include sixth rangers too.

Power-Ups are always hit and miss with me though. Last thing I WTF'd at was the Triassic Ranger. That shit was ass! Even has it in the name so you know how ass it was!

Sixths usually come in the game jacked up because the homies out there getting wopped and they need a plot reason to win so they can show off a bit.

I'll admit most fade back to an even keel with the others by time that spotlight plot is resolved. I guess it would depend on the Sentai if that 6th should be included or not I suppose.

Orion should've been Andros' and Ashley's son! Why you no do this Megaforce? No wait, I know why. Carry on.

javadoze

I've currently watched Kakuranger up to episode 12 in anticipation for Ninninger and so far I'm liking it quite a bit. It's pretty over-the-top as far as other Sentai is concerned. Even though the main cast is a bunch of bumblers, they never feel as bad as the ToQgers do (in terms of questioning their competency).

Pretty good show... Not to mention...
B31PcnKIgAAls5L.png

Shuriken Sentai Ninninger was 20 years in the making.

(No joke, the OP and ED for this series are great.)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So SPD didn't do that work? Time Force? Ninja Storm? Dino Thunder to a lesser degree.

Time Force yeah. Ninja Storm is good for a comedy show. SPD would have been good but personally its flaws are a bit obvious for me (explosions, Sam ball, etc.).

I've currently watched Kakuranger up to episode 12 in anticipation for Ninninger and so far I'm liking it quite a bit. It's pretty over-the-top as far as other Sentai is concerned. Even though the main cast is a bunch of bumblers, they never feel as bad as the ToQgers do (in terms of questioning their competency).

Pretty good show... Not to mention...
B31PcnKIgAAls5L.png

Shuriken Sentai Ninninger was 20 years in the making.

(No joke, the OP and ED for this series are great.)

It gets better. Ep 28 and 29 are my favorites.

Time Force yeah. Ninja Storm is good for a comedy show. SPD would have been good but personally its flaws are a bit obvious for me (explosions, Sam ball, etc.).

Sam ball was stupid. I'll cop to that. They could've easily got an actor for that but I can appreciate is they took Tetsu's plot development and distributed it enough around the cast for the characterizations to make sense given the plots they worked with trying to 1:1 Dekaranger. Still a good damn show even given Sam ball.

Were Jungle Fury or Mystic Force any decent?

Mystic Force > Jungle Fury.

Mystic Force is just better overall and what Jungle Fury could've done they didn't do well enough.

KingDirk

So all of the monster designs in Carranger are basically just living nightmares, as far as I can tell. Is that common to this era of Sentai?

Tiu Neo

I don't remember giant mecha in Winspector or Solbrain, but, maybe? There were a lot of gadgets in Solbrain. I mostly remember the delta gun.

All of them had bikes/cars.

Never watched Exceedraf to comment on it.

Yeah, don't think Winspector and Solbrain had Mecha. Juspion and Spielban had, iirc.

WillyFive

Those shows were awesome Power Rangers shows (I still think Dino Thunder is the best PR show, despite what I'm about to say here), but I feel like a lot of the stories there only work if you accept them by Power Rangers standards. However, with RPM the writing seemed to me to aim for something higher than that, and achieved it in some ways.

I feel the same way about Timeranger for Sentai; and although it was for the most part translated into Time Force, the PR version omitted some of the best storylines the show had simply because it wanted to fit into the standards a Power Rangers show lives with.

Wow. Red's robot is literally riding inside of a larger robot.

Looking over the pictures, White and Pink seem like afterthoughts, not unlike Shinkenger.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Are thosr signs of green and silver rangers? And those sword morph pieces look like they would have worked well with an anniversary series.

Slayven

I wonder if the ranger's mecha were designed by them or made from their personalty or something? There has to be an in universe reason why they so random.

javadoze

ToQ isnt a really a toy centric season, is it? Either way, yeah. This might be a dope season.

Not so much that the show isn't toy centric, but more like the writer didn't care to utilize the ressha outside of the mechs (aside from that one episode where they actually did use them in a normal fight).

On the topic of ninjas: I've come to really love the designs of the Kakuranger suits. Despite the lack of any large, complex details, they manage to be an example of minimalistic Sentai suits done right (*cough*ToQger*cough*). Also the mech fights in this show are pretty unique and whatnot with their usage of the 5 mechs + the Juusho Fighters.

vareon

Throne motif.

Can you imagine that?

Yeah, people shit on Bandai/Toei designs all the time but being able to come up with concepts like these is never a small feat. If I make a Kamen Rider/Sentai it'll probably look like a cool but boring warrior with boring gadgets.

Top Bottom