• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

WarRock

Started watching Shinkenger. The OP is addicting, the first two episodes and the mech battles are great, the whole presentation and ideas too...

But what's up with the sound effects? They sound weak and dull as hell, makes the action scenes feel really weird.

Corgi

Banned
Started watching Shinkenger. The OP is addicting, the first two episodes and the mech battles are great, the whole presentation and ideas too...

But what's up with the sound effects? They sound weak and dull as hell, makes the action scenes feel really weird.

biggest problem with the show which was redeemed every season after I think.

WillyFive

The terrible out-of-sync and lazy foley work for the sword fights ruined all of the fights that season. It's really unfortunate, because there's a lot of good there.

javadoze

I'm probably going to get killed for asking this but... Is it worth watching Shinkenger if I've already seen Power Rangers Samurai?

I'm probably going to get killed for asking this but... Is it worth watching Shinkenger if I've already seen Power Rangers Samurai?

Dear sweet god yes. Samurai is solid, but it's a loose adaptation of Shinkenger. Watch the original and see why some of those plotlines felt dissonant with certain characters.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's worth watching for context.
Seeing the purpose of a lot of the plotlines that didn't make sense in Samurai.

What I don't get are the people defending Samurai keeping the "descendents of old samurai" plot line under the pretense of "It's Power Rangers, it doesn't have to make sense". No, fuck that. There's suspension of disbelief, and then there's dumb.

jwk94

Yeah the sound effects were bad. Theme was god tier, though. So much creativity. I loved the bowing and kanji drawing. Speaking of which, I was so glad they kept that for Samurai.

WarRock

It was a novel (and great) idea to have a team that fights entirely with swords as their normal attacks. Too bad the foley team wasn't up to the task.

Man, if it was only the swords though... even the gunshots and general impact sounds are really off.

It's worth watching for context.
Seeing the purpose of a lot of the plotlines that didn't make sense in Samurai.

What I don't get are the people defending Samurai keeping the "descendents of old samurai" plot line under the pretense of "It's Power Rangers, it doesn't have to make sense". No, fuck that. There's suspension of disbelief, and then there's dumb.

Suspension of belief may be the most subjective thing ever. I have not watched Samurai, but I doubt it's that different from all the cartoons with similar family line motifs.

Yeah the sound effects were bad. Theme was god tier, though. So much creativity. I loved the bowing and kanji drawing. Speaking of which, I was so glad they kept that for Samurai.

Yes! There is SO much more than only the samurai theme. The origami, the kanji drawing, the kabuki, the kabuto being a kabuto, the kuroko, the way they present the whole family/retainer idea as something more than a thrown away concept... Everything adds to a great presentation.

jwk94

Yes! There is SO much more than only the samurai theme. The origami, the kanji drawing, the kabuki, the kabuto being a kabuto, the kuroko, the way they present the whole family/retainer idea as something more than a thrown away concept... Everything adds to a great presentation.

Agreed to the fullest. Although, I'm still confused by how Kaoru passed the leadership back to Takeru. That whole explanation went over my head. Chiaki commenting on how Takeru is older than Kaoru was funny though.

The two things I hated about Samurai/Shinkenger were how the girls didn't get special zords and Daigoyo/Light Zord. LZ becoming Antonio's (Gold) main weapon destroyed his character. This guy made up HIS OWN style which took advantage of speed and precision so he could join his best friend in the fight against the Nightlock (Gedoushu). And then LZ gets introduced and Antonio's training went out the window. It pisses me off.

As for the zord thing, I liked how the Beetle Zord was originally given to Mia (Pink) but then she gave it to Mike (Green) because he wanted it? She was being nice? Neither series justifies this at all.

The one thing I think Samurai did better than Shinken was passing the leadership from Jayden to Lauren. At first, I thought it was stupid because it didn't make sense, but upon second watch, and closely listening to what Jayden was saying instead of cringing at how awkward their conversation was, it started to come together. He gave her leadership because she had the sealing power and she would be in danger if they were both on the team. Had he stayed, in battle, the others would have protected Jayden because not only was he their true leader, but he was also their friend.

We see Jayden's theory get backed up when Kevin (and later Antonio) try to go with Jayden. Kevin does it because that's his friend (which is great character development considering how he was in Origins). Jayden denies him because the duty of the four rangers was to protect the Red ranger who could defeat the Nighlock. Eventually, it became less about that and more about protecting their friend.

Antonio obviously wasn't bound by this stipulation and just left of his own free will.

Agreed to the fullest. Although, I'm still confused by how Kaoru passed the leadership back to Takeru. That whole explanation went over my head. Chiaki commenting on how Takeru is older than Kaoru was funny though.

If I remember correctly, she adopted him, making him next in line if she died.

The two things I hated about Samurai/Shinkenger were how the girls didn't get special zords

If the catalogs are any indication, Ninninger will have the same problem.

javadoze

While watching more Kakuranger, I really hope that the Ninningers do ninja-y things in their fighting scenes. Never once in Kakuranger do I feel as if the ninja motif was just slapped onto a normal Sentai show. You're constantly reminded of it through their various ninpo, their nighttime sneaking missions, and even with the various monsters based off of yokai.

(On that note, I kinda miss the Storyteller. Though, I understand why he's gone.

On the note of Shinkenger, I guess I should start watching it when Over-Time finishes their releases. I haven't been much of a fan of Kobayashi's recent stuff (though I liked parts of Go-Busters), but it seems I'll give it a chance.

Tiu Neo

Abaranger was... weird. It has a lot of over the top humor moments, but also a lot of very dramatic and serious parts. It's like the series had two writers, one wanted a more dramatic season and the other wanted a comedy/parody sentai. Are all the Sentais of that time like that?

Anyway... I loved the contrast. I like that the main four are both incredible super geniuses at something, but also lovable idiots. Killer was pretty good too, but I won't say much to not spoil anything.

Now that I finished the three Dino series, I can say Abaranger is my favorite, followed closely by Kyoryuger, and with Zyuranger as a distant third.

Now, I'll start both Kakuranger and Hurricanger. Going blind, on Kaku, watched the Hurricanger vs Abaranger movie. Not sure what to expect of both.

vareon

I'm not too familiar with Sentai so I don't know if there are similar twists, but to me Kaoru was a pretty cool twist. Really like that Kaoru is a good person, making it harder for the retainers.

Abaranger was... weird. It has a lot of over the top humor moments, but also a lot of very dramatic and serious parts. It's like the series had two writers, one wanted a more dramatic season and the other wanted a comedy/parody sentai. Are all the Sentais of that time like that?

The bulk of Abaranger was written by Naruhisa Arakawa, who also wrote sections of Dekaranger, most of Gokaiger, and Akibaranger.

Some of the more wackier episodes (10, 17, 24, 45) were penned by Yoshio Urasawa, Carranger's main writer. Which is really funny, since he also penned one of the more plot-related episodes (29) relatively straight.

Other writers include Shou Aikawa and Atsushi Maekawa, both toku veterans.

WarRock

I think all Toei toku is like that.

Tiu Neo

The bulk of Abaranger was written by Naruhisa Arakawa, who also wrote sections of Dekaranger, most of Gokaiger, and Akibaranger.

Some of the more wackier episodes (10, 17, 24, 45) were penned by Yoshio Urasawa, Carranger's main writer. Which is really funny, since he also penned one of the more plot-related episodes (29) relatively straight.

Other writers include Shou Aikawa and Atsushi Maekawa, both toku veterans.

Oh, I see, so it was a weird mix between writers. This makes me want to watch Carrangers even more. I hope someone subs it soon.

I think all Toei toku is like that.

Hmmm... While that may be true to a certain level, the contrast was a lot more noticiable here. In one episode them were fighting monsters with silly plans and jokes, a few episodes later
one of the main characters die while covered in blood, and on the next episode two of the other main characters are impaled and almost die, what would leave their daughter orphaned.

From the sentais and other toku I watched, I think this one is the one with the biggest contrast between episodes. And that's what made me like it a lot, the story was dramatic but the fillers were mostly fun.

Abaranger is hilarious.

Also dat ToQger ep

It is!

Also, thanks, I think I missed last week episode too, will watch both today.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
ToQger 40

Anyone that got "their hometown is the villain's base", you get another medal.
And this only furthers the theory that Z was a forgotten sixth kid.
So yeah, it's clear we're in endgame now. I get the feeling this will be another 48 episode series.

Next week:
That shot of all four Megazords is hype as fuck

Drive 10

A three-part episode?! Interesting.
That ending with Drive trying to tear out Heart's... heart... you know, a kids show!
At least we have confirmation the Roidmudes are androids (though I should have seen it in the name).

WarRock

Isn't Carranger (almost?) fully subbed? I am awaiting for O-T to release more Deka, it seems right up my alley.

I'll probably marathon Kakuranger after I finish watching the O-T releases of Shinken, too.

Tiu Neo

So yeah, it's clear we're in endgame now. I get the feeling this will be another 48 episode series.

Wasn't it confirmed to be 47 (plus that Raider crossover special week)?

Isn't Carranger (almost?) fully subbed? I am awaiting for O-T to release more Deka, it seems right up my alley.

I'll probably marathon Kakuranger after I finish watching the O-T releases of Shinken, too.

Searched a couple months ago, found just some episodes in English and even a few episodes in Portuguese, but neither complete.

Pluto

41 out of 48 of Carranger have been subbed, it'll probably be finished soon.

Dekaranger was subbed by TVN Ages ago, many people don't like their subs but personally I don't care that much, it can be done better I guess but until it happens I'll gladly watch their stuff.

I really hope someone does GoGoV, at this point I have given up hope that Hikari-Senshi will ever finish it, they released what, one episode in 1 1/2 years?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
OT teased on subbing Dekaranger. They did 1-3.

ToQger 40

Anyone that got "their hometown is the villain's base", you get another medal.
And this only furthers the theory that Z was a forgotten sixth kid.

Next week:
That shot of all four Megazords is hype as fuck

True but the more interesting part is the context. Why was the base built there exactly? Shadow Lines have been around even before their hometown was absorbed, so why the base there?

Tiu Neo

41 out of 48 of Carranger have been subbed, it'll probably be finished soon.

Dekaranger was subbed by TVN Ages ago, many people don't like their subs but personally I don't care that much, it can be done better I guess but until it happens I'll gladly watch their stuff.

I really hope someone does GoGoV, at this point I have given up hope that Hikari-Senshi will ever finish it, they released what, one episode in 1 1/2 years?

Nice to know. I'll watch them and probably Deka (that a lot of people recommended me) after finishing ninjas.

Tenumi

Banned
Watching from Jetman through Dairanger straight somewhat turned me off of older Sentai somewhat. That being said, Carranger and Dekaranger are high on my list of things that I must watch.

Waiting on O-T to finish up Shinkenger before I start that, but it's a definite watch for me.

Really hoping that Ninninger catches my attention.

isny

napkin dispenser
Toys R Us here in Canada has a couple of things of note on clearance. Picked up the White/Green ranger morpher, steal of a deal. I'm open to buying either of these and sending them to a Gaffer at cost btw, just lemme know :)

Legacy Morpher, both versions, are $24.99
Super Megaforce Deluxe Morpher + 20 keys is $44.99

jwk94

Toys R Us here in Canada has a couple of things of note on clearance. Picked up the White/Green ranger morpher, steal of a deal. I'm open to buying either of these and sending them to a Gaffer at cost btw, just lemme know :)

Legacy Morpher, both versions, are $24.99
Super Megaforce Deluxe Morpher + 20 keys is $44.99
Holy crap. Do they still have the ogog legacy morpher?

Pluto

Hmmm, feels like series are getting shorter. With Gaim lasting 47 episodes as well, and Kyoryuger at 48.
They're not getting shorter, Kyoryuger and ToQger had the exact same running time, 52 weeks. ToQger just lost an additional episode when they did the Gaim crossover.

52 weeks is pretty much the standard, very few shows deviate from that, the differences in episode counts are more often than not just the results from a different number of preemptions. I think in the last decade Uokaiger was the only sentai that didn't run for 52 weeks, it was extended and ran for either 53 or 54.

WillyFive

They're not getting shorter, Kyoryuger and ToQger had the exact same running time, 52 weeks. ToQger just lost an additional episode when they did the Gaim crossover.

52 weeks is pretty much the standard, very few shows deviate from that.

Yeah, not only that, Kyoryuger and Gaim are contrasted by Go-Busters and Wizard, which are some of the longest shows in the history of each franchise.

Pluto

Yeah, not only that, Kyoryuger and Gaim are contrasted by Go-Busters and Wizard, which are some of the longest shows in the history of each franchise.
That's not true for Go-Busters, it only ran for 51 weeks (most likely a result of Gokaiger being extended), it had 50 episodes but that was nothing but coincidence, it could have had less episodes if some golf events had screwed up the schedule for example.

I just looked it up and started counting weeks because I wanted to know how long the shows ran exactly.

WillyFive

That's not true for Go-Busters, it only ran for 51 weeks (most likely a result of Gokaiger being extended), it had 50 episodes but that was nothing but coincidence, it could have had less episodes if some golf events had screwed up the schedule for example.

I just looked it up and started counting weeks because I wanted to know how long the shows ran exactly.

I was referring to amount of content and episodes. Over 50 episodes is the long run.

Pluto

I was referring to amount of content and episodes. Over 50 episodes is the long run.
It's not that long, Go-busters was really not that special when it comes to the number of episodes.

I spend the last 30 minutes counting weeks on a calendar starting with Zyuranger (Disclaimer: I may have screwed up once or twice, staring at a calendar gets confusing ... so many numbers).

The first number is how many weeks the show was on the air from its first to last episode, the second number is the episode count, things really haven't changed that much since 1992.

Zyuranger 52/50
Dairanger 52/50
Kakuranger 54/53
Ohranger 52/48
Carranger 50/48
Megaranger 53/51
Gingaman 52/50
GoGo Five 51/50
Timeranger 53/51 (or 52/50 if you don't want to count the special after the finale)
Gaoranger 52/51
Hurricanger 52/51
Abaranger 52/50
Dekaranger 52/50
Magiranger 53/49
Boukenger 52/49
Gekiranger 52/49
Go-Onger 52/50
Shinkenger 52/49
Goseiger 52/50
Gokaiger 54/51
Go-Busters 51/50
Kyoryuger 52/48
ToQger 52/47 (we know it ends on February 8 and will have one more preemption after christmas)

It's actually surprising how consistent it is, there seems to be a trend towards one more preemption since Boukenger but other than that things have barely changed.

isny

napkin dispenser
It's actually surprising how consistent it is, there seems to be a trend towards one more preemption since Boukenger but other than that things have barely changed.

Which is amazing. New Sentei year round with no breaks is such a godsend.

WarRock

Not to bring up TVN bashing/sub drama, but I avoid their releases because of video quality. Faiz actually hurt my eyes at some scenes.

I'm completely OK with awaiting for O-T or whoever else doing it too since there is ton of other stuff to finish/start (Amazon, Hero Yoshihiko, some Ultra...)

Pluto

Not to bring up TVN bashing/sub drama, but I avoid their releases because of video quality. Faiz actually hurt my eyes at some scenes.
I think I'm lucky in that regard because I don't notice issues with the video quality but I understand, I'm like that with audio issues, the pal speed-up is especially annoying, many people don't notice but it drives me crazy and I avoid it like the plague.

What happened with Ohranger that made it so short with 52 weeks?
It's just a guess but it could have been preempted due to coverage of the sarin attacks on the Tokyo subway.

Edit: I just looked at the dates, no preemptions in march 1995. I guess that's not it.

jwk94

So Legacy Saba is out in the UK. He's around 27 (!) inches extended. I neeeeeeed this in my life! Kinda makes me doubt we'll get anymore legacy weapons though. Can you imagine a Legacy Quasar Saber? That would be hella long. I desperately want some Legacy Lost Galaxy or In Space stuff =/

isny

napkin dispenser
So Legacy Saba is out in the UK. He's around 27 (!) inches extended. I neeeeeeed this in my life! Kinda makes me doubt we'll get anymore legacy weapons though. Can you imagine a Legacy Quasar Saber? That would be hella long. I desperately want some Legacy Lost Galaxy or In Space stuff =/

You don't think we'll get a MMPR blaster?

LostAnkh

I just want Legacy Zeonizers, Shogun Megazord, and Ninja Megazord.

Tiu Neo

Started watching ninjas! Both left me with a good first impression, let's see if they keep it :D

Also, both have amazing opening songs. Hope this trend continues with Ninninger.

Corgi

Banned
legacy thunder megazord man (which should be coming someday if they are doing tigerzord).

a stellar paintjob and diecast. that mecha was ready for a legacy version since it was first conceived.

So do any of y'all buy/collect toku stuff? I'm partial to pick up the core megazords and maybe a few others if I'm interested.

Could never justify spending extra for sentai mechas... but i did get the 5 parts for great gobusteroh when i heard gobuster wasn't getting power rangers stuff.

Always wanted to pick up some kamen rider stuff, but never really found something that appeals to me to justify import prices

Top Bottom