• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
And Kaito still made the best faces.
ECDf6vEl.jpg

iTHp6ifpZ8TYW.gif

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
They're these web videos (that haven't been translated) that are posted on the official site, I wish that Aesir Subs took the break this week to perhaps do some of them.

Speaking of Aesir, I don't get why Magenta was harping on Mai being dumb in the special, I'm watching it now and nothing she does stands out as being unreasonable. I mean, yeah, she's taken hostage by the monsters, but that's because Kouta and the Toqgers tried to trick her and such.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
They're these web videos (that haven't been translated) that are posted on the official site, I wish that Aesir Subs took the break this week to perhaps do some of them.

Speaking of Aesir, I don't get why Magenta was harping on Mai being dumb in the special, I'm watching it now and nothing she does stands out as being unreasonable. I mean, yeah, she's taken hostage by the monsters, but that's because Kouta and the Toqgers tried to trick her and such.

Yeah honestly I don't see any "OUT OF CHARACTER MOMENTS" in the crossover. Which is a stupid argument to begin with - it's a prequel to a possibly non-canon movie.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah honestly I don't see any "OUT OF CHARACTER MOMENTS" in the crossover. Which is a stupid argument to begin with - it's a prequel to a possibly non-canon movie.

In fact, I'd say this is probably the best read I've gotten on the TOQgers personalities, they were pretty great in this...well, 'cept Yellow, she's still pretty much got nothing going on.

The only real OOC-stuff was the obvious humor moments with Takatora ignoring the giant fight, and the KACHIDOKI ARMS gag battle.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
Roffle at Overtime's front page today:

P.S. Their release of Samurai is simply the Japanese dub of the The Team Unites, with the subs transcripted exactly word-for-word from the original English script. Not often that we got a glimpse at Japanese Power Rangers dubs, so at least I found this far more interesting than their prank last year, which was merely that they and some Precure fansub group posted their April 1st week's releases of Kyoryuger and Dokidoki Precure on the other group's website.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Finally watched the special and my opinions mirror most of the posts on this thread.

I think the cross over was pretty good considering. I find it strange that nobody mentioned, directly, the fact that Zawame City had a HUGE TREE in the middle of it, other than the fact that Right thought that the Tree in the drawing was too big.

Baron and Ryugen Kachidoki arms had no actual point to it other than fanservice, and Takatora ignoring the giant robot battle were both actually funny. Remember: This special is also a ToQGer special, and that's a pretty light hearted series.

And once again I'm sad at the underused Oren Pierre Alfonzo - This was a great excuse to put him, even if only as the Cook of his shop. I wonder if the actor has a shitty contract or something.

The only downside of the special is the lack of a proper Gaim episode. But there's always next week.

Roffle at Overtime's front page today:

P.S. Their release of Samurai is simply the Japanese dub of the The Team Unites, with the subs transcripted exactly word-for-word from the original English script. Not often that we got a glimpse at Japanese Power Rangers dubs, so at least I found this far more interesting than their prank last year, which was merely that they and some Precure fansub group posted their April 1st week's releases of Kyoryuger and Dokidoki Precure on the other group's website.

always wondered about the dubs of PR. do they dub the ADR added in PR?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
In fact, I'd say this is probably the best read I've gotten on the TOQgers personalities, they were pretty great in this...well, 'cept Yellow, she's still pretty much got nothing going on.

The only real OOC-stuff was the obvious humor moments with Takatora ignoring the giant fight, and the KACHIDOKI ARMS gag battle.

I wonder if takatora would even be able to see the toQ-oh. I'm sure he's not big on imagination these days.

Finally watched the special and my opinions mirror most of the posts on this thread.

I think the cross over was pretty good considering. I find it strange that nobody mentioned, directly, the fact that Zawame City had a HUGE TREE in the middle of it, other than the fact that Right thought that the Tree in the drawing was too big.

Baron and Ryugen Kachidoki arms had no actual point to it other than fanservice, and Takatora ignoring the giant robot battle were both actually funny. Remember: This special is also a ToQGer special, and that's a pretty light hearted series.

And once again I'm sad at the underused Oren Pierre Alfonzo - This was a great excuse to put him, even if only as the Cook of his shop. I wonder if the actor has a shitty contract or something.

The only downside of the special is the lack of a proper Gaim episode. But there's always next week.

Metal Yoshida probably has a busy schedule, though his appearance schedule is more consistent than Kamen Rider Drake ever was.

Slayven

The more i think about about the more I love the way of defining Showa vs Heisei. Show fights for the greater good and Heisei fights for the individual. I wonder if that is cultural change in japan? During the Showa years they were riding that bubble economy and what not. Somebody could probaby do a thesis on japan and how it;s culture is reflected in Toku.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
*watches Over-Time's joke release of PR Samurai*

Really I just wanted to see what PR dubbed in Japanese was like.
Can't really judge the actors as I don't speak Japanese, and unless it's really noticeable I wouldn't tell if someone is a bad actor. Though the voice actors here did deliver their lines with some conviction to them so... that's good I guess?
Bulk's voice in Japanese sounds exactly what I thought it would sound like, goofy as hell.

One big improvement is the sound mixing. Neo-Saban's sound mixing is atrocious, the music constantly blares over the dialogue (it's Doctor Who bad at times). Here it's a lot better.

I did find it funny how Jayden's dub actor said at the end "You can have fun comparing Shinkenger and PR Samurai", when the Western fanbase is all about not comparing the shows.

WillyFive

I suppose since they are both available in Japan, comparing is inevitable. In the West only PR is available, so it makes people think it's supposed to be seen in a vacuum. Which is wrong.

Bikkun

Neo Member
I did find it funny how Jayden's dub actor said at the end "You can have fun comparing Shinkenger and PR Samurai", when the Western fanbase is all about not comparing the shows.

That's mostly PR fans who say that because comparing them is just unfair to PR...

momotroniuity

Neo Member
I suppose since they are both available in Japan, comparing is inevitable. In the West only PR is available, so it makes people think it's supposed to be seen in a vacuum. Which is wrong.

Saban Brands: There is nothing here, You're crazy to think that there is. Carry on.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Why shouldn't we be allowed to compare? It's going to happen no matter what...

Besides, sometimes the PR season is better than the Sentai. It just depends on the writers and actors..
Though with the way Neo-Saban is, that's never going to happen again. Especially if Dino Charge is going to be an even bigger nostalgia-wank than Samurai and Megaforce.

I still don't get why they'd bring a season that is a severely watered down translation vs. something really great like RPM.

Air time gets filled either way, doesn't it? I assume they're not paying licencing fees or anything for the footage itself - they just dub it, tweak the titles, send the scripts out for closed captioning and slap it onto a programming block.

789shadow

Banned
Having a HELL of a time trying to get Gokaiger from Over-Time. You can only get their full series batch now (everything else isn't being seeded) which takes FOREVER to download, and when I try to do so I first got "Not enough room in folder" and then "Can't start, identical file is being deleted." The last one makes no sense.

EDIT: Oh wow, I couldn't download it anyway, I only have 17.8 GB left on my hard drive.

Bikkun

Neo Member
Having a HELL of a time trying to get Gokaiger from Over-Time. You can only get their full series batch now (everything else isn't being seeded) which takes FOREVER to download, and when I try to do so I first got "Not enough room in folder" and then "Can't start, identical file is being deleted." The last one makes no sense.

EDIT: Oh wow, I couldn't download it anyway, I only have 17.8 GB left on my hard drive.

If you're having trouble getting torrents, just go on KRDL. They have it all up for DDL.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Gee, I wonder why it didn't start downloading.

Also, on most torrent clients, you can select which files to download from a batch.

Bikkun

Neo Member
But that is Ban's inside voice. Does it not serenade you with it's harmonic qualities?

It's admittedly been a while since I've seen Deka (I want to fix that, but... .TVN... and OT seems to have forgotten it's working on Deka) but I wanna say he gets better about his indoor/outdoor voice. Though honestly, it never bothered me as much as it did everyone else.

It's admittedly been a while since I've seen Deka (I want to fix that, but... .TVN... and OT seems to have forgotten it's working on Deka) but I wanna say he gets better about his indoor/outdoor voice. Though honestly, it never bothered me as much as it did everyone else.

Ban's voice never bothered me. Admittedly I saw Dekaranger like... 2 years ago (and even then it was a binge watch) so the details are a bit hazy for me, but I don't recall him ever getting on my nerves.

789shadow

Banned
Ban's voice never bothered me. Admittedly I saw Dekaranger like... 2 years ago (and even then it was a binge watch) so the details are a bit hazy for me, but I don't recall him ever getting on my nerves.
Well he pretty much just spent the entirety of Episode 6 screaming at Sen at the top of his lungs.

789shadow

Banned
SPD definitely has the better theme song. Dino Thunder's is also superior to Abarangers. Both of those Sentai have good theme songs, but SPD and Dino Thunder have god tier ones.

Tenumi

Banned
SPD definitely has the better theme song. Dino Thunder's is also superior to Abarangers. Both of those Sentai have good theme songs, but SPD and Dino Thunder have god tier ones.

If I was ranking PR themes, I'd seriously put Dino Thunder up with the likes of MMPR and Zeo. That theme was that good to me.

I can't say much about the characters themselves, but I just feel that the SPD Doggie looks better than the Dekaranger one. Can't really explain why, it just feels a little better built of a suit.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

I don't even know what I'm reading anymore

EDIT: And let me be clear here, I love the SPD theme.

Top Bottom