• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

RangerBAD

Only problem I've had with the subs so far is the awkward as shit phrasing sometimes

Though it's not that often that I've come across those types of lines and it's fine for the most part. As someone who doesn't speak japanese that's as much criticism I can give it. Only argument I've seen against it from people is "that's the guy who did the geki scrub" and then not say what's wrong with these subs specifically.

Whose subs are you watching?

Bikkun

Neo Member
Though it's not that often that I've come across those types of lines and it's fine for the most part. As someone who doesn't speak japanese that's as much criticism I can give it. Only argument I've seen against it from people is "that's the guy who did the geki scrub" and then not say what's wrong with these subs specifically.

That's because the person who keeps saying this, Magenta, hasn't SEEN our sub. He's going off pure hearsay. Which is weird because he really liked our Toqger ep 1. He's basically starting subdrama because... I don't know. Like, I'll admit our sub isn't perfect and we're making a list of mistakes for the post-series v2, but...

Whose subs are you watching?

My group's, Imagination Station. We're the only ones who have actually subbed past episode 10 without being a machine translation. >_>

789shadow

Banned
That's because the person who keeps saying this, Magenta, hasn't SEEN our sub. He's going off pure hearsay. Which is weird because he really liked our Toqger ep 1. He's basically starting subdrama because... I don't know. Like, I'll admit our sub isn't perfect and we're making a list of mistakes for the post-series v2, but...
You probably aren't weeb enough for him.

WillyFive

Not sure where Kobayashi is heading with this Ticket/Conductor thing....but it's pretty weird.

iGGCz3khShlvc.PNG

Well then.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, it's not an awkward line, but it could have been written with simpler vocabulary for viewers who aren't too proficient with English.

TOQger...

*huge sigh*

...someone call me back when something good happens. So far, I can't stomach any more.

wut, this has plot in it

Also this episode was pretty good and so much giffable moments

Rajack

Gaim 26

Now this episode was awesome, and the preview for 27...oh man, next weekend can't come soon enough. Micchy's finally snapped and Kaito still doesn't quite get it that he's playing the fool here. Also Kachidoki Arms Gaim utterly shit on Marika.

jwk94

Just saw JDF post this on his facebook. Fanmade but it made me realize I don't want any of the rangers to return as Silver. I'd be cool with them returning as someone else, just not silver.

Just saw JDF post this on his facebook. Fanmade but it made me realize I don't want any of the rangers to return as Silver. I'd be cool with them returning as someone else, just not silver.

Not sure if you read any of the official character bios but main team; gray &violet are all like 18(exception of blue whose a caveman). So...if he did he could only be silver or cyan

Kamen Rider Gaim 26

Show remains one of the best KR shows to date in my opinion. I mean really the characterization and what not. Micchy needs a thorough arse beating, which may or may not be that far off.

yami4ct

Kamen Rider Gaim 26

Show remains one of the best KR shows to date in my opinion. I mean really the characterization and what not. Micchy needs a thorough arse beating, which may or may not be that far off.

I'm not even sure how I would rank KR shows. They're all so different. I can't compare the serious Gaim with the pure fun I had with OOOs or Fourze. While I enjoy the overall plot more than W, none of the cast sticks with me like the W cast did. I love Gaim, but man I don't even know where to begin to put it on KR rankings.

Totally agree with you about Micchy, though. Dude thinks he's way smarter than he is and that needs some repercussions soon.

I'm not even sure how I would rank KR shows. They're all so different. I can't compare the serious Gaim with the pure fun I had with OOOs or Fourze. While I enjoy the overall plot more than W, none of the cast sticks with me like the W cast did. I love Gaim, but man I don't even know where to begin to put it on KR rankings.

Totally agree with you about Micchy, though. Dude thinks he's way smarter than he is and that needs some repercussions soon.

Other series I watched, it felt like the main cast were just stuck on their preset archetypes. They went through stuff and stayed the same.

In this series we have Kouta "growing up"(like literally). Initially he seemed like the dumb hero archetype(which he still is?) but eventually he wised up. He learned that you make consequences, you got to face your sins. What I like is that they managed to make him encompass the "well it's me against the world" mindset without it being cheesy.

I could go on but I'm waiting to see what comes of Kaito, Micchy,Takatora(not sure at him though) and Mai too.

Fun fact: So Baron got so popular that gave him lemon arms but it wasn't planned. I like his design but a genesis belt kinda has me wonder about his future forms.

NeonZ

ANything happening in Train Rangers?

Toqgers are starting to annoy the Shadow Line members!

It's a Kobayashi show. Usually they have things happening in the first 10 or so episodes to introduce the characters and world, and afterwards nothing lasting happens until the last 10 episodes, aside from some new villain introduced before the ending that is killed before the final arc, making it all kind of pointless aside from maybe character development.

Go-Busters escaped from the formula, but there it was likely due to its production issues. Toqger's problem though is that even the introductory phase just hasn't been very gripping, or even introductory at all. It seems like we've jumped straight to character development episodes, without the show earning that. They didn't even bother to an excuse for giant monsters or even most extra mecha. I really hope Kobayashi takes a break from Tokusatsu after this show...

Link1110

I've been on the fence as to follow W with OOO, but your post comparing it to Fourze like that just put it on my list! Just gotta start W sometime now ;)

yami4ct

I've been on the fence as to follow W with OOO, but your post comparing it to Fourze like that just put it on my list! Just gotta start W sometime now ;)

OOOs is great. It's kind of weird coming off of W with it, given W kind of takes itself seriously, but it's just got such a fun, random, strange tone. It's got the frantic, goofy excitement that Fourze had. I think Fourze's a bit more fun overall, but OOO is a worthy watch too. It also has some amazing music.

yami4ct

Reading the grievances you guys have with the new sentai isn't making me click play on ep 1 yet. Call me when something substantial develops.

I guess I'll be a dissenting voice on ToQger and say I love it. Plot wise, I agree it's pretty week. I just think the enemy designs, characters and mecha are so much fun. Maybe I'm weird, but I love ToQ-Oh and love Cho ToQ-Oh even more (those shoulder missiles!). I wouldn't blame someone for letting it get most of the way through and marathoning it. That might be the most enjoyable way to see it.

Voror

Gaim 26

Now this episode was awesome, and the preview for 27...oh man, next weekend can't come soon enough. Micchy's finally snapped and Kaito still doesn't quite get it that he's playing the fool here. Also Kachidoki Arms Gaim utterly shit on Marika.

Man, I hope this is leading to Micchy finally getting knocked off his high horse. It happened a little here, but it's still not complete yet.

Only problem I could see is that knowing that Micchy essentially betrayed him could mess Kouta up potentially, though maybe it could also make him stand up against him.

Are we sure she isn't just holding back still? A lot of that seemed like a show put on for Kouta.

I keep wondering if they're going to pull a reverse on Kouta and steal the Kachidoki Lockseed from him. I'd laugh so hard if somehow only Kouta can use it. Anything to wipe the smugness from Ryouma and company. That little freakout when he first saw Kachidoki Arms was great.

WillyFive

I wouldn't blame someone for letting it get most of the way through and marathoning it. That might be the most enjoyable way to see it.

Yeah, that's really the best way to see a Kobayashi show. She does great stories, but she ignores the arcs for most of the show until the ending episodes. However, the good thing is that in almost all of the shows it's very much worth it in the end. Shinkenger also had a lot of hate during airing (most notably during half-way through the show), but by the time the show ended almost everyone called it one of the best in the series. Same thing with Go-Busters, with people crying about retooling and the story going nowhere (especially since the stories set up in the start of the show all ended by the halfway point!), but by the end it had a really good finale and helped to make the show likable to a lot of people.

Midonin

After V episode 2 is great. Blue's backstory about how he became a hero was hilarious, and the whole plan to trap Pink into paying her part of the check is one of Red's pettiest, and most hilarious moments in the show so far. More people should watch this show, it's wonderful.

After V episode 2 is great. Blue's backstory about how he became a hero was hilarious, and the whole plan to trap Pink into paying her part of the check is one of Red's pettiest, and most hilarious moments in the show so far. More people should watch this show, it's wonderful.
I like how Red is basically the sentai version of Arino from Game Center CX.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Nope, not really. She's gotten some larger supporting roles, but not a staring episode yet. It's too bad since she's currently my favorite ToQger. Hope she gets one soon.

This week was kinda her episode, but man it was so shitty. "Women are better suited to be protected" and all that.

oprahna-ah.gif

Toq overall has just been kinda shit. The action, toys, overall story progression, all of it straight up lackluster. My kid likes it, but I have a hard time keeping interest, tend to break out the iPad pretty early each week.

To make Toq-ou even sort of cool looking you need to buy it and diesel-ou and diesel-ou by itself looks realllly bad. They went really cheap with the individual train cars (and the shokugan\gacha trains don't even connect to toq-ou). You can use them with the Toq-Changer but that toy too is pretty lame compared to the gabu-revolver (thing doesn't even stay upright half the time).

It's nice cause it saves me money, but kinda disappointing just as a casual fan and a parent that has to watch these shows no matter the quality.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
The only thing interesting about the Toq-oh toy is that they're selling trains for past sentai robots so you can have a Kyoryuzin head or a Gokai-oh head.

vareon

Did Takatora raised his death flag in the episode preview?

About ToQger: Haven't watched episode 8, might wait for a bit then catch up. The most disappointing thing to me is the toys, IMO. When they said the series would appeal to train lovers (iirc) didn't think the toys would be so...lame. I hope the whole appealing to train enthusiasts doesn't stop with having a trivia at the end of episodes.

WillyFive

About ToQger: Haven't watched episode 8, might wait for a bit then catch up. The most disappointing thing to me is the toys, IMO. When they said the series would appeal to train lovers (iirc) didn't think the toys would be so...lame. I hope the whole appealing to train enthusiasts doesn't stop with having a trivia at the end of episodes.

Yeah, this is my feeling as well.

When I heard their intention, I imaged that the mechas would be part of an actual model train gauge, with full electrical support and sounds; but they look like cheap plastic with McDonald's quality paint. And of course, because the show always strives to match the toys, this means that the mechs in the show look bad as well.

Slayven

When I heard their intention, I imaged that the mechas would be part of an actual model train gauge, with full electrical support and sounds; but they look like cheap plastic with McDonald's quality paint. And of course, because the show always strives to match the toys, this means that the mechs in the show look bad as well.

Can you imagine how cheap Bandai USA will make them look?

vareon

I'm kinda hoping they'd release a "premium" version, but that would cost a lot. I initially planned to buy ToQ Oh as a present to my nephew who had a lot of Thomas toys in his home, but none of this is even remotely compatible with Tomica rails (the wheels aren't even turning).

Zynx

Naw, I don't think so, not yet. We still haven't come to the scene that was shown at the beginning of the first episode, which had a showdown between Gaim and Baron, with Zangetsu and Ryugen watching.

Defuser

Gaim ep 26

Micchy finally gone evil after that slap. I ain't surprised if he were to kidnap Mai like a classic villain would do. Kaito finally ain't a jobber anymore with that new belt of his.....too bad grape boy here interrupted the fight or else he would have job again to Kouta with Kachidoki arms.

Can't wait for next week for the teamup.

Finally Micchy with that full heel turn! YES!!! He won't survive the show but it'll be fun watching the inevitable play out.

And Wizard in Magic Land was really good. Delivered as good as something Wizard related can.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Finally Micchy with that full heel turn! YES!!! He won't survive the show but it'll be fun watching the inevitable play out.

And Wizard in Magic Land was really good. Delivered as good as something Wizard related can.

Has someone finally done magic land?

yami4ct

Man, everyone hating on Toq-Oh in here. I got it a few weeks ago and kind of love that toy, but I really enjoy both it and Diesel's design so maybe I'm weird. Just a super fun little toy. The train model all together is really cool as well.

vareon

Naw, I don't think so, not yet. We still haven't come to the scene that was shown at the beginning of the first episode, which had a showdown between Gaim and Baron, with Zangetsu and Ryugen watching.

I won't be surprised if it's not going to get there at all. It looks to me like a scene that just illustrates the war and factions instead of to be taken literally.

Did Urobutcher subtly imply that Kouta and Mai got it on after he told her about Yuuya and Yggdrasil's plan and they grieved? Because he was pretty cheerful at the fruit bar next scene. Also, that swag jacket. Obviously, Kouta is happy that Mai forgave him and he feels like he has an ally now. But still - subtext.

Also,
the implication that Micchy got NTRed.

Top Bottom