• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Abaranger 10

Definitely one of the weirder Sentai episodes I've seen. Especially the random animation. I can see why it was used in...

Dino Thunder: Lost and Found in Translation

I decided to watch it to see how they handled it. The weirdness really showcased the difference between the two series.
I liked that they actually kept the music around instead of using their own. Though there's something stupidly meta about the line "What does Japan know about Power Rangers?"
The dubbing was a bit annoying, but I'm not really a fan of gag dubbing unless done right. Like Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo.

I did like the moral of "just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad". Seemed to speak to all the "Sentai vs Rangers" wars that still happen to this day.

Of course, they wouldn't happen now if Super Megaforce wasn't full of plot holes, bad writing, and beyond bland characters.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Estarland just sent me the worst email ever:

dzzMncG.png

Kamen get it? really?

Kabuto Figuarts is also "only" 40 bucks. Is that a good price?

WillyFive

Reminds me of "Common Rider Dragon Knight", the way they said "Kamen" in every single episode of that show. The ad is rather inoffensive though. I think it's fine.

Also, I saw the 1st episode of Juspion (the Metal Hero with the giant robot); it was basically Kyoryu Blue being a Metal Hero. Like, literally; Kyoryu Blue looks like a total recreation of Juspion.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Also, I saw the 1st episode of Juspion (the Metal Hero with the giant robot); it was basically Kyoryu Blue being a Metal Hero. Like, literally; Kyoryu Blue looks like a total recreation of Juspion.

I saw Juspion back in the 90's, so ask me anything you want about Juspion and I (might remember enough to) tell you.

The beginning of Juspion, while he's still walking around weird planets and different species is so crazy. Also, I really like Boomerman.

Also, Souji's father in Kyoryuger is the same actor that portrayed MadGallant in Juspion.

WillyFive

I saw Juspion back in the 90's, so ask me anything you want about Juspion and I (might remember enough to) tell you.

The beginning of Juspion, while he's still walking around weird planets and different species is so crazy. Also, I really like Boomerman.

Does the show have an out-of-order narrative? The 1st episode felt like watching Pulp Fiction, with a segment beginning, and then after the break something completely different is going on. He starts fighting giant monsters, then suddenly he's at a bar, and then a while later he's back fighting the monsters again, with no clear segue between them.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Does the show have an out-of-order narrative? The 1st episode felt like watching Pulp Fiction, with a segment beginning, and then after the break something completely different is going on. He starts fighting giant monsters, then suddenly he's at a bar, and then a while later he's back fighting the monsters again, with no clear segue between them.

Not really. Once he gets to earth, things get a little more sequential and as expected. He even loses the fro... :(

The first few episodes where he's still earning his powers and the first episode in particular, with the bar, are fucking crazy.

vareon

Estarland just sent me the worst email ever:

Kamen get it? really?

Kabuto Figuarts is also "only" 40 bucks. Is that a good price?

But the name of the product is Masked Rider Kabuto! It specifically said Masked instead of Kamen! /rant

Not sure why the store advertised Kabuto renewal with the old Hyper form picture. $40 is an okay price for it, I've seen it higher in a lot of places.

WillyFive

They only started rendering it in English as Kamen Rider instead of Masked Rider after Dragon Knight used Kamen. Like, literally the reason they switched is because of KRDK.

Even from the grave, the show still leaves it's weeaboo mark in the world.

But to be fair, I wish KRDK hadn't been cancelled; because asibad as it was, like early Power Rangers, it could have eventually gotten better. In fact, It's ratings were competitive with RPM, a lot of times getting better ratings than it too. Sure, when both shows are under a 1.0 rating, they are both practically dead shows, but still, Rider was usually winning!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, I kinda hate how they're handling the Battride II information. Drip-feeding us new info weekly that isn't really new at all. Every week the website updates with two new characters (old characters we already know are in the game), two new movie stages (even though we've known since the game was announced that the summer movie from every Rider series is in, save for Gaim since it hasn't been released yet), and...that's about it. Confirm some goddamn new secondary Riders as playable already. Most secondary Riders already have models and at least partial movesets already done. It shouldn't be too much work to get them up to playable standards. I just wanna play as Kaixa and IXA dammit.

BatDan

Wasn't the reason Dragon Knight was called Kamen Rider and not Masked Rider was due to Adness fighting tooth and nail to call it KR to avoid reminding people of the existence of Saban's adaptation of Black RX?

Midonin

After V episode 3 was wonderful. It seems the only thing that can make the team work together is mutual dislike of their commander. Even the villains are willing to lend a hand in order to get him out of there. He made me think of what would happen if Dilbert's Pointy Haired Boss was given a Sentai suit.

pAd3w0f.jpg

Pink's got a violent streak.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Arguing with a friend about Gaim. He swears that Kouta HAS to know that Micchy and Takatora are brothers "because Micchy and Kouta are friends, therefore they should know each other's families", when it's VERY clear that Kouta has no idea who Takatora is outside of being a top guy at Yggdrasill. Not to mention that one of the biggest plot points is the fact that Micchy has been hiding any connection he has to Yggdrasill from the rest of the group.

Gah.

Tenumi

Banned
Arguing with a friend about Gaim. He swears that Kouta HAS to know that Micchy and Takatora are brothers "because Micchy and Kouta are friends, therefore they should know each other's families", when it's VERY clear that Kouta has no idea who Takatora is outside of being a top guy at Yggdrasill. Not to mention that one of the biggest plot points is the fact that Micchy has been hiding any connection he has to Yggdrasill from the rest of the group.

Gah.

I have several friends who I know nothing about their families. Japanese culture might be different, but it's definitely not anywhere close to impossible to believe that Kouta has no idea. Everything the show points to supports that idea, anyway.

I want to say thanks to all of those that were giving good reviews about Fourze. Started it up recently and I'm loving it.

Not to mention that one of the biggest plot points is the fact that Micchy has been hiding any connection he has to Yggdrasill from the rest of the group.

The whole core of Micchy's character (apart from the creepy control freak thing) is that he's leading a double life. His dance friends don't know that he's from an uptight, upper class background and the people involved in that other life (his brother, his classmates, etc.) don't know that he's involved with the Beat Riders. That was shown pretty clearly.

Your friend is kinda dull.

Slayven

Reminds me of "Common Rider Dragon Knight", the way they said "Kamen" in every single episode of that show. The ad is rather inoffensive though. I think it's fine.

This greatly interests me

BatDan

ToQger 09

Diesel-oh looks way better than ToQ-oh. They should only use him from now on *sees preview with both* Damn...

Mio is adorable.

The Tokusatsu Network has new Gaim info. Plus 4chan /m/ translation/speculation. Spoilers out the butt.

Yuuya and Hase are in the Gaim movie, though that's old news.
Movie exclusive Energy Pinecone rider Kurokage Shin. Looks the same as normal Kurokage, but with a slightly cooler looking weapon. Looks like Gaim Jinba Melon might be movie exclusive.
In the movie, Kouta encounters some mysterious boy named Lapis/Rapis. Could the blue Overlord.
TV - Micchy getting Melon Energy and teaming up with Sid against his brother. Going full Kusaka.
TV - Demushu attacking Zawame City directly. Lord Roshuo looking to resurrect the Queen of Overlords.
Gaim Vs. Kikaider TV special on 18th May

Slayven

The Tokusatsu Network has new Gaim info. Plus 4chan /m/ translation/speculation. Spoilers out the butt.

Yuuya and Hase are in the Gaim movie, though that's old news.
Movie exclusive Energy Pinecone rider Kurokage Shin. Looks the same as normal Kurokage, but with a slightly cooler looking weapon. Looks like Gaim Jinba Melon might be movie exclusive.
In the movie, Kouta encounters some mysterious boy named Lapis/Rapis. Could the blue Overlord.
TV - Micchy getting Melon Energy and teaming up with Sid against his brother. Going full Kusaka.
TV - Demushu attacking Zawame City directly. Lord Roshuo looking to resurrect the Queen of Overlords.
Gaim Vs. Kikaider TV special on 18th May
Don't know who is cheaper, Toei or Saban?

Long time no post! Finished Fourze about a week ago but didn't have a chance to post my series impressions here. Hid behind spoiler tags just in case.

So where to start.. I'll say that I quite possibly underestimated Fourze. Went in expecting high school antics with the usual 2 episode arc story-telling, came out satisfied. It was a bit of a struggle to remain interested around the early part of the latter half of the series when they were introducing all the Zodiarts pretty much one right after the other. Once I got into the late-30's however, my interest was revived and I ended up finishing it sooner than I expected. Not surprisingly, I did get a bit attached to the main cast as they're all generally likable characters. I really enjoyed the storyline involving Kengo and his father and I'm glad the club members all had a chance in the spotlight, though some of them had better character development than others. All in all, I'm glad I watched the show.

Haven't watched the Fourze movies yet, but I'll try to watch them before I start the next Kamen Rider series. Per a friend's request, my next Kamen Rider on my backlog is Wizard. Not quite sure what I'm in for, but I haven't been disappointed by a Kamen Rider series yet!

Meanwhile, I've been keeping up with both Gaim and ToQger and have been enjoying both shows for varying reasons.

I really should get back to watching Kyoryuger sometime but the show still physically exhausts me for some reason so it's tough to marathon.

Also I'm resisting from checking out those Gaim spoilers as now that we're in the latter half of the series, I'm assuming big things are coming.

WillyFive

Haven't watched the Fourze movies yet, but I'll try to watch them before I start the next Kamen Rider series. Per a friend's request, my next Kamen Rider on my backlog is Wizard. Not quite sure what I'm in for, but I haven't been disappointed by a Kamen Rider series yet!

ibo7XUVjifMwh.gif

Top Bottom