• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

I thought the mechas themselves were vastly superior to the ones in GB, but I can understand if you preferred the shooting techniques they used before. They looked a lot more realistic.

It's not just that while kyoruger were better than your average sentai's, GB ,made them integral to many of the eps. Each form has a purpose that isn't forgotten and is used through out the show, elements like power management and gattai timing. Heck there were episode dedicated to the support team that maintains the mechas.

GBhas it's problems, but it treating mechas as core elements of the story vs just sentai tradition and toy seller is enough for me to recommend it to people that like mecha stuff.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Soooo... will they explain why Orion's Gold Mode chestplate has Robo Knight on it or is that going to be added to the pile of "Shit in (Super) Megaforce that will never be explained"?

BatDan

What do you think?

Fair enough. The Megaforce seasons have been a complete mess.
Say, what happened to Troy's visions? And how did he get them? *adds to the pile*

Damn If forgot about Roboknight, did he get blown up or something?

No he just disappeared.
After they defeat the Messenger (by the way, nice job reducing Robogog to MotW status), they go to find him only to find he's gone.
They mention him early on in Super Megaforce, but now they seem to have forgotten him. They didn't even bring him up in Silver Lining when the citizens said a "Silver Ranger" was fighting off X-Borgs. Not even a "Do you think Robo Knight is back?"

Slayven

Fair enough. The Megaforce seasons have been a complete mess.
Say, what happened to Troy's visions? And how did he get them? *adds to the pile*

No he just disappeared.
After they defeat the Messenger (by the way, nice job reducing Robogog to MotW status), they go to find him only to find he's gone.
They mention him early on in Super Megaforce, but now they seem to have forgotten him. They didn't even bring him up in Silver Lining when the citizens said a "Silver Ranger" was fighting off X-Borgs. Not even a "Do you think Robo Knight is back?"

Smae I liked the robots best of all in Goseiger. Of course they didn't look for Roboknight, they had smoothies to drink.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
F2fUrDD.jpg

Xerotwo

Christ, Micchi's
taken to another level of fucked up after just standing there and watch his brother die

Something tells me that
Sid's the next one on the Urobucher's list

Kaito was pretty cool in Gaim 28. Lotta shit going down in terms of Micchy and Warren-tachi being complete shitwheels, with a new twist to the factions at the end.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Christ, Micchi's
taken to another level of fucked up after just standing there and watch his brother die

Something tells me that
Sid's the next one on the Urobucher's list

Ain't no way that
Takatora's dead
. No way in hell.

This just paves the way for the glorious return of
the original Zangetsu suit

Defuser

Finally, Juice Bar dude just gave Kota a job.

Or maybe he wants Kouta to pay his damn tab through working. Kouto still owes him 12,00 yen lol.

Gaim 28
I don't really understand Micchy's character is going through now. Just because Kouta told Mai and Mai slap Micchy means he have to kill/ruin Kouta? In the end is this really because of Mai or jealous of Kouta? Anyway he brought this upon himself.

And why is Kaito wearing his Sengoku Driver instead of his Genesis Driver when talking to Micchy?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Or maybe he wants Kouta to pay his damn tab through working. Kouto still owes him 12,00 yen lol.

Gaim 28
I don't really understand Micchy's character is going through now. Just because Kouta told Mai and Mai slap Micchy means he have to kill/ruin Kouta? In the end is this really because of Mai or jealous of Kouta? Anyway he brought this upon himself.

And why is Kaito wearing his Sengoku Driver instead of his Genesis Driver when talking to Micchy?

I'd guess it's because that scene was shot before the decision to give Kaito a Genesis Driver was made. We know that wasn't the plan from the beginning, but something decided on midway through filming since Kaito became more popular than Toei had anticipated.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I guess the "giving Kaito a late upgrade" also might explain the inconsistency as to why when he uses Lemon Energy Arms he has the Baron under-suit, but when Micchy uses Melon Energy Arms he still has Zangetsu's under-suit.

Gaim 28

I'm pretty sure the point behind Micchy is that he's just a tried and true psycho. It's just coming to the forefront more and more.

I saw an interesting post the other day that got me to thinking, we really didn't ever see Kouta and Micchy acting friendly till they both became Armored Riders and were forced to work together, there wasn't a solid friendship before then. Like in the first few episodes, Kouta didn't even seem to give Micchy special attention or anything.

So I assume Micchy's "friendship" was always pretty shallow, and probably just the best way he figured to get on Mai's side.

vareon

Sid is so dead. Takatora
fell off the cliff, and nobody ever dies falling off the cliff

The show is playing too close to the trope of
Kouta not even thinking for once that the man behind the suit might not be Takatora. Something tells me Kaito knows, or at least suspects, but he just doesn't care that much. .
Can't believe we actually made it to the misunderstandings and people thrown to river checklists lol.

Xerotwo

Ain't no way that
Takatora's dead
. No way in hell.

This just paves the way for the glorious return of
the original Zangetsu suit

The line that Marika/Peach said "He couldn't have survived that fall" pretty much sums that he's still alive.

NeonZ

Gaim 28

It's not just that. Micchy started having problems with Kouta's attitude ever since the beginning of the year. He seemed to take the revelation regarding Helheim's true nature and Yggdrazil's goals pretty badly. When he joined them, he attempted to keep everyone else alway from the crisis, including Kouta, and shoulder the responsibility all by himself. However, Kouta refused to stop using the Sengoku Driver and leave everything in Yggdrazil's hands. After repeated refusals, Micchy ended up going with that kidnapping plan to force Kouta to give his Sengoku Driver.

It was basically around that point that Micchy went from speaking about wanting to shoulder pain for Kouta and carry all responsibilities himself to wanting to make Kouta stop in any way possible, even if it was by his own suffering and breaking him. However, Kouta just stood up and got in the way of his plans again and again. Initially, Micchy was doing it, at least in his mind, for Kouta's own good, but the clashes between them (even if Kouta didn't know about them at all) basically changed Kouta into a hated enemy to Micchy. Telling Mai about Yuuya and Helheim was the tipping point, not the single factor. However, after that, he basically seems to see Kouta as an enemy destroying his plans and his peace.

There's another issue regarding the current situation for Micchy. He initially joined the Beat Riders because it was the place where he could be himself, not having the pressure and mask that he worn at home and school, but, right now, he's pretty much having to wear a mask everywhere, and that clearly is weighting on him, like shown in his last few scenes with Mai or the other Beat Riders. Micchy tried to shoulder by himself something that he clearly wasn't able to support, and now blames his frustrations on Kouta's actions that got in his way repeatedly, even though he never even confronted Kouta directly about them. Right now, his actions don't even seem to have any goal aside from killing Kouta. He instantly saw Takatora as an enemy (who had been "ruined" by Kouta) as soon as talked about cooperating with him. He's basically a broken person by now and eliminating Kouta has gained higher priority than any of his original goals.

I don't think his fall was inevitable, it just happened to turn out like this.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah, Micchy seemed pretty sore about his brother fawning over Kouta like that.

Personally I thought it was a bit weird too how much Takatora was gushing about Kouta, "omg he's so cool! No wonder you like him so much!"

I don't really think we've gone into Faiz territory, however. The whole Kusaka-poses as Faiz plot was ridiculous because he basically just took the belt, and wrecked havoc, and Takumi and Kiba never decided to just talk things over---plus by then we already had plenty of times where someone else was shown using someone else's belt.

Here, it makes sense...Kouta can't talk things over with Takatora because he's "dead', and there's no reason for him to suspect someone else was in the suit. It's actually a realistic twist that hasn't been overdone in Gaim to this point.

BatDan

I think I found words.
Are we in the mid 2000's? Because that video feels like something from the mid 2000's. Dreadful pandering using the "hip kewl music that dem kids enjoy" (the Mystic Force and Operation Overdrive themes attest to that)
And of course there's people crying in the comments about "Sentai Purists". This isn't about purism, if something is fucking stupid, people will call it out for being fucking stupid.

Also, why are they using the Samurai Rangers? Shouldn't this be the Megaforce/Super Megaforce Rangers since they're the current ones?

Fuck is this shit?

In other news, Gaim is some on other level. The Micchy heel turn is going places for real. And I wonder if the Emperor of Darkness' name will be the jumping point on how it gets adapted. And he's from wherever the rest of the ToQgers are from. He'll become a ranger and they'll do it similar to how Digimon Frontier handled darkness when he comes over to the good side.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Wouldn't his name just be Z?

Don't know how much more I can take of this show

....a new Power Rangers movie?
Saw that. I guess it was only a Maryse of time with the MMPR nostalgia at an all time high. Press release made it sound like it would be an MMPR remake? Still early so that will probably change. Better not be that fucking Green Ranger movie

What is this obsession in trying to find Power Rangers references in Sentai and trying to find instances where Sentai gives a damn about how Power Rangers will butcher it?

Your verbage makes it as I sit and watch Sentai with a fine tooth comb for this shit. That thought was just and observation of a possibility of things and nothing more. It was something that I just noticed and shared. That's that. And didn't I have to do the Sentai ≠ Power Rangers thing last thread.

Oh, if this is something that I brought up, then trust and believe the nostalgia factory at Saban is salivating at a damn chance to use that one bit to keep the nostalgia "train" (pun intended) going.

Wouldn't his name just be Z?

But how is "Z" in some instances pronounced? Or if you want to grasp at things then there's always Elizabeth "Z" Delgado who we never found out was or wasn't related to Danny from Wild Force.

http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20140507-909241.html

SANTA MONICA, Calif., May 7, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Lionsgate (NYSE: LGF), a leading global entertainment company, and Saban Brands, a strategic brand management company that acquires and builds global consumer brands, are partnering to develop and produce an original live action feature film based on the iconic Power Rangers property, it was announced today by creator of Power Rangers Haim Saban and Lionsgate Chief Executive Officer Jon Feltheimer. The announcement marks another step in Lionsgate's continued commitment to build a broad portfolio of branded properties and franchises with global appeal.

Saban launched Mighty Morphin Power Rangers as a live action television series more than 20 years ago, and the series has been in continuous production ever since. It has subsequently grown into one of the world's most popular and recognizable brands, with toys, apparel, costumes, video games, DVD's, comic books and other merchandise.

The two companies noted that, with an extensive and extremely devoted worldwide fan base as well as a deep and detailed mythology, the Power Rangers are primed for the big screen. The new film franchise will re-envision the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, a group of high school kids who are infused with unique and cool super powers but must harness and use those powers as a team if they have any hope of saving the world.

"Lionsgate is the perfect home for elevating our Power Rangers brand to the next level," said Saban. "They have the vision, marketing prowess and incredible track record in launching breakthrough hits from The Hunger Games to Twilight and Divergent. In partnership with the Lionsgate team, we're confident that we will capture the world of the Power Rangers and translate it into a unique and memorable motion picture phenomenon with a legacy all its own."

"We're thrilled to be partnering with Haim Saban and his team to maximize the potential of this immensely successful and universally recognized franchise," said Feltheimer. "The Power Rangers stories and characters have been embraced by generations of audiences for more than 20 years, and today they are more powerful than ever. We have the ideal partner and the perfect brand with which to create a motion picture event that will resonate with moviegoers around the world for years to come."

New movie continuity?

ReiGun

I thought I had today: Gaim is a much better story about hope fighting and overcoming despair than Wizard is, despite hope being the main stated theme of the latter.

The only problem is I can't expand on it as I haven't seen enough of Wizard to really compare the two. Still, I thought I'd drop it in the thread for people who have seen both to chew on.

I thought I had today: Gaim is a much better story about hope fighting and overcoming despair than Wizard is, despite hope being the main stated theme of the latter.

The only problem is I can't expand on it as I haven't seen enough of Wizard to really compare the two. Still, I thought I'd drop it in the thread for people who have seen both to chew on.

It's true.

Next?

You are absolutely right. ToQGer so far has done a better job at it too.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
MMPR is crippling the franchise, 21 years later.

it really is. they need to move past it already

wizard didnt do anything. its not really hard to be better at what it claims to be. tokugaf is better at hope fighting and overcoming dispair than wizard was

Top Bottom