• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

NeonZ

The problem with these crossovers in Gaim is that they're generally handled by a different writer from the main story, and they also aren't relevant to the story, so it hurts its flow.

Really, that's the one thing that impressed me about the Showa era crossovers. They had no problems making story events happen there. In fact, because they had more heroes than usual episodes, they were often happening alongside big events in the shows. Nowadays though, Toei seems to completely shy away from that. We see Kikaider appearing at the end of the newest Gaim episode, but, next episode, rather than following up this one and fighting against the overlords and Sid, we're going to get a battle against some random Invess and Hakaider. I think there'd be much less negativity if they just treated Kikaider as a standard character and continued the main plot in spite of his presence. Toei is doing something very wrong when the crossovers seem smaller than standard episodes...

The closest thing to that are the Movie Wars, but even there the actual events that might be acknowledged in the show always seem to happen outside of the crossover parts, and even then only W and Fourze actually used big elements from Movie Wars, while the others used nothing or it basically amounted to cameos (like the other Beat Rider teams in Gaim who appear in Sengoku Battle before the tv show).

Rajack

The problem with these crossovers in Gaim is that they're generally handled by a different writer from the main story, and they also aren't relevant to the story, so it hurts its flow.

Really, that's the one thing that impressed me about the Showa era crossovers. They had no problems making story events happen there. In fact, because they had more heroes than usual episodes, they were often happening alongside big events in the shows. Nowadays though, Toei seems to completely shy away from that. We see Kikaider appearing at the end of the newest Gaim episode, but, next episode, rather than following up this one and fighting against the overlords and Sid, we're going to get a battle against some random Invess and Hakaider. I think there'd be much less negativity if they just treated Kikaider as a standard character and continued the main plot in spite of his presence. Toei is doing something very wrong when the crossovers seem smaller than standard episodes...

The closest thing to that are the Movie Wars, but even there the actual events that might be acknowledged in the show always seem to happen outside of the crossover parts, and even then only W and Fourze actually used big elements from Movie Wars, while the others used nothing or it basically amounted to cameos (like the other Beat Rider teams in Gaim who appear in Sengoku Battle before the tv show).

Surely you can forgive them since the rest of the show is so goddamn masterful.

Zynx

Aw, shucks. Just when we have the best Rider series ever, with the best plot and everything, another shitty crossover gets shoved into our throats.

Sigh.

But damn are things ramping up. (Even after all those episodes in a row of "ramping up".)

Go-Busters is decent - I enjoyed it a lot after I began cheering for the villains, even though they never win (oops was that a spoiler?).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Aw, shucks. Just when we have the best Rider series ever, with the best plot and everything, another shitty crossover gets shoved into our throats.

Sigh.

But damn are things ramping up. (Even after all those episodes in a row of "ramping up".)

Go-Busters is decent - I enjoyed it a lot after I began cheering for the villains, even though they never win (oops was that a spoiler?).

Apparently the cross-over, despite the editing of this episode, is set to take place earlier...I believe before Takatora was betrayed.

Some speculate it'll show us what happened after Kouta told Mai about Yuya, and possibly why he was so happy (besides the idea they had sex or whatever).

LostAnkh

Wizard X Gaim:
Am I the only one who enjoyed the Wizard portion, in comparison to the other parts of the movie? Because the Gaim & crossover portion felt very weak.

I legitimately disliked Wizard's show, because of how much promise it had and abandoned in the end, but this was a breath of fresh air. Everything that's centered around Haruto, worked and made it the better character development that he needed (or lacked). Oh, and you gotta love that the Mage Trio were thrown in and out so quickly, but who wanted them in the film in the first place?

Once this part ended, I started having mixed thoughts when Gaim's portion began.

Gaim's journey into the War God world, wasn't something that stood out that well to me. Kouta's development in this film could have been done to a much better effect, had it been done in the show where he experiences true war and the horrors that come with it, but I did like that it was centered on the theme of the show. Seeing some of the secondary characters from their respective shows, was fun for how long of screen time they had. But everyone else was just there and didn't add any real presence, although it was nice to see Melon Armor again (and Kiwi Arms...lol).

Gaim 29:
Yo, why'd Kouta go out of Jinba Peach and not hear all that Melon Soda?

Aside from that, I liked the exposition that was sprinkled throughout the episode, in regards to the civilization that fell in the Helheim forest. On the other hand, the plot just built up for a few battles, nothing too surprising until Kouta starts ramping things up against Melon Soda. Good episode, although I won't be enjoying the next, considering how it halts the excitement that I have for the "next" episode.

Oh yeah, you gotta love the forced Kikaider appearance, because they want us to WATCH THEIR MOVIE.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Why are they remaking Kikaider in the first place? I still can't figure that one out.

Now I am really expecting Zangetsu to make a comeback, since he got one of the Generic Sengoku Drivers. I was half expecting it to be a Melon Lockseed when he grabbed that fruit off that branch.

Edit: I was watching that Kikaider episode and it reminded me of Zubat, which made me go look for the Big One in JAKQ, which made me find out that JAKQ was based on playing cards suits and they threw cards at their enemies and they were Playing Cards made by Nintendo, from the time they manufactured those? That's an interesting piece of information I did not know.

Defuser

Gaim ep 29
The fourway battle between Kouta,Kaito, Sid and Demuushu is so fucking goooood. Haha, Micchy even with a genesis driver is still a weak fighter. Git gud.

vareon

Because they weren't content with the Gavan reboot flopping.

"If we make it darker, maybe people'll like it more!"

Proceeds to having a crossover in kid's show.

TBH I don't know if the Kikaider movie is supposed to be dark or not. Not as dark as the Hakaider movie definitely though.

Is it very hard to establish a new non Rider/Sentai/remake hero or is it just not in their interest?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Wizard's part didn't feel like a movie but like just an enjoyable episode of Wizard, which I guess is something or a rarity when it comes to Wizard. Wizard's fight was okay too, they were able to use footage from the show in a way that wasn't annoying. Also Haruto did a better job of explaining exactly why he cared about Koyomi in one line than he did in the entirety of Wizard. "I care for you because we are both survivors of some fucked up shit" Why was that so hard. I like that when Nitou turned into Beast he spoke with Chimera instead of just turning into beast then whatever.

Gaim's part was dumb. Still not a fan of throwing in old suits and doing nothing interesting with them. It was nice to see the actor cameos but in the case of Kengo's actor it felt like a wasted opportunity. Rider arms are also dumb, especially Kouta's use of Wizard's arms.

gljnbyn.png

Mr-Joker

Banned
I still need to watch the Wizard summer movie and Wizard X Gaim, still waiting for the subs.

Anyway I am really enjoying Gaim as it feels different but a good different, though I am just waiting for Miccy to get exposed as the double crossing snake that he is and watch Kouta forgive him because reason. :|

WillyFive

The Gaim/Wizard crossover was ok. I liked the funny parts, and the final act was hype; but most of it was dull.

I hope that one day we'll see Sakamoto direct a Gaim fight. Also, super glad OT did the Director's Cut of the Shinkenger premiere instead of the normal one. The DC one is so much better.

ik11dMYQ7UblS.gif

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
ToQger 12

12 episodes in and we already have the Super Mode for the mech? Looks like this will be a season with tons of different mechs if we're getting it that early.

Emperor Z continues to ham it up.
It's weird that I'm more interested in what's going on with the villains than I am with the heroes.

ToQger 12

12 episodes in and we already have the Super Mode for the mech? Looks like this will be a season with tons of different mechs if we're getting it that early.

Emperor Z continues to ham it up.
It's weird that I'm more interested in what's going on with the villains than I am with the heroes.

thats kinda late these days lol. think shinkengokaoh was around eps 12. gobuster oh is kinda the super mecha but that show was weird. forget kyoruger, but they had a bunch of dinos by then.

WillyFive

thats kinda late these days lol. think shinkengokaoh was around eps 12. gobuster oh is kinda the super mecha but that show was weird. forget kyoruger, but they had a bunch of dinos by then.

Kyoryuger was insane in this department

By this point we already had the sixth and seventh Rangers.

ReiGun

ToQger would have been better off having red be the main body and the other mechs be smaller train cars that form armor. Like Dairanger had.

Having 5 full length trains was just asking for trouble.

NeonZ

Sometimes I wish Sentai just went with full CG mecha... but then I remember that they'd likely want to make it on model with the toys and realize that it'd be a horrible idea.

Sometimes I wish Sentai just went with full CG mecha... but then I remember that they'd likely want to make it on model with the toys and realize that it'd be a horrible idea.

its funny because im pretty sure the cg models during combinations are the blueprint maya files or what not for the toys.

Defuser

For unlimited imagination. Combining the 7 trains... Is that really all you got Right?
Even with unlimited imagination can't help the limitation of what can you do with trains.

The other sentai motifs were more creative because each zord was a different class whereas each Toqger's zords is the same class type. Which is why Dieseloh is more appealing than Toqoh lol.

Top Bottom