• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

Defuser

Gaim ep 30

You know I don't mind the crossover of Gaim and Kikaider but why do they have to air this episode in the middle of a near end arc?

RangerBAD

https://www.google.com/#q=kamen+rider+gaim+wiki&safe=off

Well, that certainly is an...interesting...picture Google is using for Gaim.

EDIT: Also, Gaim is likely not going to be ending any time soon. According to Yutaka Kobayashi's (Kaito's) blog, as of yesterday they were still shooting:

http://ameblo.jp/yutaka-kobayashi/page-3.html#main

Well, it does have at least 20 episodes left.

Sort of dumb not giving Kikaider an acoustic guitar when it's clearly what it 'sounds" like he's playing. Not to mention that's what he had in the manga.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
it7J5EO.jpg

Kite

Hello tokusatsu-gaf, got a question for you all about Kamen Rider Gaime. Is it a good show and how dark is it?

The anime club I'm an officer in has been showing episodes of Zyuranger for the past two semesters as a change of pace and to expand our member's horizons beyond just cartoons. Our members have really enjoyed it, but we are looking for a newer and slightly more serious show and Gaime has been suggested.

Our resident kamen rider expert and only person who knows anything about these type of shows is pushing gaime hard, but a few of the officers are a lil nervous since Gen Urobuchi seems to be involved. We want to show this during our Friday meetings which is advertised as being the light-hearted and friendly meeting since it is held inside a religious building. Our Wed meetings are held elsewhere and almost anything goes. So.. Gaime, is it a good show and is it dark, depressing or offensive in any way? Any other suggestions besides Gaime? Thanks!

Its serious, but not as dark as much of Gen's other stuff. Has a lot of light-hearted moments especially at the early parts of the series.

Alternatively you could watch Fourze which is pretty light-hearted for the most part. Gaim is the better show in my opinion, though.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Nothing. It seems like this might be like Wizard, where nothing leaks before the official reveal.

Both fruit-based and dance-based Riders were rumored before Gaim's official reveal. Those both turned out to be right, but in different ways.

It'll probably be a good three months or so before we start getting rumors for the next KR.

NeonZ

Both fruit-based and dance-based Riders were rumored before Gaim's official reveal. Those both turned out to be right, but in different ways.

I meant the Fourze -> Wizard transition, not Wizard -> Gaim. Wizard's trademark wasn't registered until after his official reveal, so, although there was a vague rumor mentioning rings and magic, there was basically nothing known about the show. No shooting leaks either. There was no way to know that the rumor was right before the full reveal, and even then the rumor barely had any information.

People even started wondering about Fourze possibly getting a second season due to the lack of information...

It'll probably be a good three months or so before we start getting rumors for the next KR.

In three months or so the next Rider series should be beginning already. We're almost at the end of May, Gaim only has three months left.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
In three months or so the next Rider series should be beginning already. We're almost at the end of May, Gaim only has three months left.

Do we know that for sure, though? I mean yeah, the initial delay for Gaim does mess up the schedule if Gaim were to run for a full 48-50 episodes, but at this point we don't have any indication that Gaim is going to end at ~42 episodes aside from those rumors that came from Mai and Zack's actors. And those were more connected to the World Cup possibly messing things up, which has since been debunked as TV Asahi isn't airing any soccer games on Sundays aside from one at 1 AM. Although I will say that the synopsis we have for the summer movie does make it sound like it could possibly serve as the show's "actual" finale.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Is it me, or are the anniversary seasons of Power Rangers cursed? In that they almost always suck (or just weak in general)?

5th Anniversary: Turbo
10th Anniversary: Wild Force
15th Anniversary: Operation Overdrive
20th Anniversary: Megaforce/Super Megaforce (I'm counting this as one season)

They're all considered weak seasons by the fans, and have major problems involved.
Turbo had the little kid Blue Ranger, and had to work with a Sentai that relied heavily on comedy
Wild Force was the switch between Saban and Disney, and had a fanboy writer that injected his personal canon into the work
Operation Overdrive was just terrible, with unlikeable characters all around.
And of course there's Megaforce/Super Megaforce, where Saban has just given up at trying to tell a story.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I don't know dude. I find Power Rangers hard to watch in comparison to super sentai in general.

Man, Gaim feels like it went really fast. Such a great show.

Still not a fan of interrupting the story just to plug a movie, but Gaim 30 was pretty cute.

I saw it as a comic book tie in issue. They usually don't contribute to the story, but they're a fun diversion.

NeonZ

Do we know that for sure, though? I mean yeah, the initial delay for Gaim does mess up the schedule if Gaim were to run for a full 48-50 episodes, but at this point we don't have any indication that Gaim is going to end at ~42 episodes aside from those rumors that came from Mai and Zack's actors.

There are the toy scans for Gaim's last quarter, and they only have the movie merchandising with the Gold and Silver Lockseeds and Riders. It's a pretty strong indication that we're getting a new show/toyline in September like usual, otherwise there'd be more releases to cover this period. Even in Gaim's case, although the show proper only started in October, the merchandising was already being promoted right alongside his appearance in the Wizard crossover finale in September.

I really don't see a scenario where Gaim just runs through September like usual and the next Rider only starts in October. I guess we could get another crossover to promote the next Rider again, but in that case the final few episodes likely would be a standalone story like what was done with Wizard. I really doubt Urobuchi would end Gaim's story with a crossover considering how he hasn't written any of Gaim's crossovers so far.

And of course there's Megaforce/Super Megaforce, where Saban has just given up at trying to tell a story.

As far as Megaforce goes, it's just how Saban is nowadays, considering Samurai, not really a specific dip in quality.

vareon

Hello tokusatsu-gaf, got a question for you all about Kamen Rider Gaime. Is it a good show and how dark is it?

The anime club I'm an officer in has been showing episodes of Zyuranger for the past two semesters as a change of pace and to expand our member's horizons beyond just cartoons. Our members have really enjoyed it, but we are looking for a newer and slightly more serious show and Gaime has been suggested.

Our resident kamen rider expert and only person who knows anything about these type of shows is pushing gaime hard, but a few of the officers are a lil nervous since Gen Urobuchi seems to be involved. We want to show this during our Friday meetings which is advertised as being the light-hearted and friendly meeting since it is held inside a religious building. Our Wed meetings are held elsewhere and almost anything goes. So.. Gaime, is it a good show and is it dark, depressing or offensive in any way? Any other suggestions besides Gaime? Thanks!

Let me address this: Keep in mind that Kamen Rider Gaim is, first and foremost, a kid's show. It's aired on Sunday mornings. It needs to sell toys, merchandises, sausages, etc. Kids must look up to the hero. There are limitations on what it inherently can do as a kid's show.

That said, being a kid's show doesn't mean it have to suck or be shallow, and this is where Urobuchi's writing shines. Beneath the guys wearing fruit armors beating each other, there are underlying themes that we adults can appreciate. There are feelings of despair, but it was quickly overcome with hope.

So no, it's not dark (it's more serious than the recent riders though), not depressing, offensive. But it is deep, else we won't have an ongoing discussion here other than "hey this week's action is good."

Kite

Its serious, but not as dark as much of Gen's other stuff. Has a lot of light-hearted moments especially at the early parts of the series.

Alternatively you could watch Fourze which is pretty light-hearted for the most part. Gaim is the better show in my opinion, though.

Let me address this: Keep in mind that Kamen Rider Gaim is, first and foremost, a kid's show. It's aired on Sunday mornings. It needs to sell toys, merchandises, sausages, etc. Kids must look up to the hero. There are limitations on what it inherently can do as a kid's show.

That said, being a kid's show doesn't mean it have to suck or be shallow, and this is where Urobuchi's writing shines. Beneath the guys wearing fruit armors beating each other, there are underlying themes that we adults can appreciate. There are feelings of despair, but it was quickly overcome with hope.

So no, it's not dark (it's more serious than the recent riders though), not depressing, offensive. But it is deep, else we won't have an ongoing discussion here other than "hey this week's action is good."

Thanks for the responses, this is exactly what we needed to know.

BatDan

http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2014/05/19/bandainamco-fiscal-year-earnings-posted/

These numbers represent Sentai’s earnings in the area designated as Toys and Hobby Business, relating overall to the toy line and not the myriad of branded items. Following up on Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger, the most successful Sentai toy line since 2001′s Gaoranger, Ressha Sentai ToQger‘s line showed a small drop. The first half of the year is bringing in 7.0 billion yen for the brand, this is a decrease from Kyoryuger’s 8.5 billion yen in its first half. Overall, the line is expected to gross 12.0 billion yen by year’s end. These numbers would put Toqger’s line above popular shows like Shinkenger but below Gokaiger.

Whoa, good for Kyoryuger.

Fuck yeah. That's brave.

All_10_Kyoryugers!.png

These numbers represent Sentai’s earnings in the area designated as Toys and Hobby Business, relating overall to the toy line and not the myriad of branded items. Following up on Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger, the most successful Sentai toy line since 2001′s Gaoranger, Ressha Sentai ToQger‘s line showed a small drop. The first half of the year is bringing in 7.0 billion yen for the brand, this is a decrease from Kyoryuger’s 8.5 billion yen in its first half. Overall, the line is expected to gross 12.0 billion yen by year’s end. These numbers would put Toqger’s line above popular shows like Shinkenger but below Gokaiger.

Factoring in the entirety of the brand, including earnings generated from Saban’s Power Rangers Megaforce and Super Megaforce lines, the combined Sentai/Power Rangers brand rose to 26.1 billion yen from last year’s 25.3 billion yen.

Kamen Ridergaim

Kamen Rider will post a leap in sales from Kamen Rider Wizard to Kamen Rider Gaim should these projected numbers hold out. Within the second half of the 2014 fiscal year, Kamen Rider Gaim’s toy line generated 16 billion of the year’s 22.3 billion yen earnings. Should the projections for 7.0 billion yen earned by the brand in Toys and Hobby Business during the first half of the fiscal year hold true, Kamen Rider Gaim’s toy line will show an overall earning of 23.0 billion yen, increased from Kamen Rider Wizard’s 19.2 billion yen. The fiscal year as a whole in this area is expected to see sales of 20.0 billion yen.

The Kamen Rider brand as a whole, including items not factored into the Toys and Hobby Business numbers such as DVDs and other branded items, continues to be strong for BandaiNamco with earnings of 26.6 billion yen. Currently, Kamen Rider is the company’s second most successful brand, behind only the Mobile Suit Gundam brand. While Kamen Rider typically posts stronger toy sales than Gundam, that franchise also benefits from a larger adult fanbase that indulges in DVDs and other premium items. Thanks in large part to the Gundam Build Fighters anime, the brand was the overall top selling one as a whole and in the Toys and Hobby Business area for the first time in over five years, with Kamen Rider usually being the top selling toy line.

I know Dragon Knight bombed hard, but I'm surprised Toei isn't fast-tracking another adaptation, or at least airing it on YouTube subbed, like it does with everything Gundam.

BatDan

ToQger 13

Action is definitely getting better. Characters are still fairly one note though...
You know, with all these childhood flashbacks... I'm wondering if the ToQgers aren't actually adults. They're kids that due to "reasons" were aged up into adults and the reason they can see the trains is that they're really kids. Of course there's still the matter of Conductor (whose facial expressions are getting more and more over-the-top)

Next week's episode looks hilarious though, and it looks like Hikari will finally get some development (took long enough).

*sees Kamen Rider is the second most popular brand*
Really, Bamco and Toei should work something out to get the series out overseas somehow. Actor fees are a mess though...

ReiGun

ToQger 13

Action is definitely getting better. Characters are still fairly one note though...
You know, with all these childhood flashbacks... I'm wondering if the ToQgers aren't actually adults. They're kids that due to "reasons" were aged up into adults and the reason they can see the trains is that they're really kids. Of course there's still the matter of Conductor (whose facial expressions are getting more and more over-the-top)

Next week's episode looks hilarious though, and it looks like Hikari will finally get some development (took long enough).

*sees Kamen Rider is the second most popular brand*
Really, Bamco and Toei should work something out to get the series out overseas somehow. Actor fees are a mess though...
Been thinking that ever since episode 2. Their town disappeared and somehow they imagined themselves into adults. Cause...well, reasons.

Bikkun

Neo Member
Imagination Station has released episode 21 of Abaranger, guys! The next few episodes are two-parters, hence the single release, but we have something special first. XD Stay tuned! <3

Pluto

Imagination Station has released episode 21 of Abaranger, guys! The next few episodes are two-parters, hence the single release, but we have something special first. XD Stay tuned! <3
Wow, you're fast, I'm still stuck on episode 12, I really have to catch up. So excited to finally get the entire series subbed, I had to live with HK subs way too long. :)

LostAnkh

SH Figuarts Gaim Kachidoki Arms
SH FIguarts Kurokage Matsubokkuri Arms

Bandai, you're killing my wallet. After Kiwami, I am 100% DONE with Gaim figures and toys.

Top Bottom