• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

Zynx

Yeah, I thought the episode was sort of "meh" when I watched it RAW, but I really loved it once I watched the sub and saw all of Micchy's little intricacies.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say he's probably one of the most interesting characters in Kamen Rider.

Also, I honestly hope they actually sell the "Dong-Oren" Lock Seed. I'd buy that for sure.

Yah, I don't even bother to watch episodes without subs now, you miss out on so much and it's actually not that interesting without the dialogue. A little tough to force myself to wait a little longer, though.

And that lock seed moment was pretty gold. It's neat how they're still finding situations to mix in a little humor. Gaim's episodes are so packed with meat compared to pretty much all recent Rider series.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Battride War 2 w/ Movie Riders!

I wonder if we'll see Rei from Kiva, he's one of my faves.

http://www.ibaraki-fc.jp/news/newslist3.php?post=749

They're recruiting extras for a special Gaim episode that's going to air on March 30. Going by the date, it seems like it could be a tie in episode with Heisei vs Showa (which opens on March 29)...

Yeah, it's apparently being written by Yonemura and will show us a "side of Team Gaim we've never seen before".

I think this picture might be from it:

1tDx0tS.jpg

WillyFive

Kyoryuger ended great. I really liked how
they sang their own theme song through the giant speaker to drown out the evil song so that it didn't kill all life; it really summarized the show in an on-the-nose, tongue-in-cheek matter. The revelation that Deboss wasn't the giant space cloud that created Torin and Cloud seemed to come out of nowhere, but I suppose it can lead up to 100 Years Later and the ToQger teamup.

GManDH

Great eps of Gaim. totally sets up even more stuff. NEW RIDER NEXT WEEK. Season has gotten me so hyped for future KR. i guess it is true, Great TV shows always have Great seasons.

LostAnkh

The only thing I disliked was Utchy coming back to life and no one seeming to give a shit lol
He didn't even say anything afterwards, and that was an insult. I also disliked the tacked on romance with Amy at the last minute, it all felt rushed.

Poor girl.
All of my rage for the last minute, tacked on romance.

I guess Kyoryuger will really end when we get to see the crossover movie.

vareon

Kyoryuger :'(

Best Part:
Singing.
As cringeworthy as it is, it reminded me of how bonkers this series has been since the start, especially compared to the much more realistic Go-Busters.

Worst Part: durrrr "romance" at last two episodes without any buildup whatsoever.

I don't watch much sentai, so I don't know how to rank it--but it's a show that kept me smiling most of its run. Seems pretty popular with my toku circle, too. Which is why I'm sad with many declaring they're out of the....train...with ToQger. That's one less entertainment to talk about, you know :(

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I don't watch much sentai, so I don't know how to rank it--but it's a show that kept me smiling most of its run. Seems pretty popular with my toku circle, too. Which is why I'm sad with many declaring they're out of the....train...with ToQger. That's one less entertainment to talk about, you know :(

Hehe

Penguin

Is this a catch-all thread for Power Rangers?

Was thinking of making a Super Megaforce thread because it seems like the perfect series for lapsed fans like myself since so much fanservice

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
it wasnt last minute, it just wasnt touched up on outside of the episodes it happens in. at all

and the world was robbed of
the candeleria/nossan end. so close, and yet, nope

Was thinking of making a Super Megaforce thread because it seems like the perfect series for lapsed fans like myself since so much fanservice

more tommy is the best ranger and mmpr is the best season.... i dont know, but yeah, this is the catch all thread

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Yeah, this thread covers Power Rangers too.

shaowebb

HOLY YES NEW BATTRIDE WAR!

Link to the YES!

Gah cant contain hype. Needs more Musou. Using Gaia memories stuff. So gonna womp folks oh God let there be Eternal. Air not reaching braaaaaaaaaain...

WillyFive

Looks like Saban has been pretty busy since finishing up Super Megaforce.

iZjzvslKPoMWm.png

Super Megaforce hasn't even been shown on TV yet and they are all like "WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR!!!"

Go ahead and do one if you want. I'm pretty sure very few people who have watched Power Rangers before would even come to this thread because they have no idea what this thread is about. They might probably even like the show (unlike most of us here).

Watch Da Birdie

I guess we'll see a trailer of Battride War 2 tomorrow when Famitsu's officially released in Japan, I hope they give us some examples of new playable characters outside the new Movie Forms.

BatDan

Looks like Saban has been pretty busy since finishing up Super Megaforce.

iZjzvslKPoMWm.png

Super Megaforce hasn't even been shown on TV yet and they are all like "WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR!!!"

Wow, promotional material already.

I get the feeling Saban feels like they screwed up Megaforce/Super Megaforce so they want to build hype for Dino Charge.

I'm just curious where the rumored "Go-Busters elements" will come in.

vareon

Does Kyoryuger has the highest average age of a Sentai team? (counting Kiryu and the spirit rangers, not counting Torin unless you count him in his 50s instead of millions of years old).

LostAnkh

The worst thing about Dino Charge is knowing the Rangers probably won't dance when they morph.
Why does it have to be like Kyoryuger? I keep hearing Sentai purists cry about the Final Strike not being Final Wave.

It doesn't have to be like Sentai, just look at RPM for instance and compare it with Go-Onger.

ReiGun

Why does it have to be like Kyoryuger? I keep hearing Sentai purists cry about the Final Strike not being Final Wave.

It doesn't have to be like Sentai, just look at RPM for instance and compare it with Go-Onger.

I just want them to dance when they morph.

I like dancing.

Parallax

if dino charge gets rpm quality writers, I'll be shocked.

ReiGun

I'd take RPM quality actors. I can deal with bad writing, but at least give me a cast that doesn't sound like a group of kindergarten teachers.

BatDan

I just want the dancing...
They can change the story, but can they at least dance before they morph?

It doesn't have to be, but samba henshin was great. It added a little touch of life and goofiness when the series needed it. You can drop it, but you need to replace it with something worthwhile and I doubt Saban will.

I'm not a sentai purist. The scene-for-scene seasons aren't usually the best, but you have to replace it with something solid. Like Space, which jettisoned most of Megaranger to do its own thing. And that was good. But the "this is not super sentai" doesn't fly. People are worried because Kyoryuger as a whole was a really good sentai season. Power Rangers has to step up to that plate and match it. It can, but Samurai/Megaforce has not been the best of Saban or Disney era Power Rangers.

Cast good actors. Write good stories. And then people will be perfectly fine with all that you didn't bring over in the adaptation. But if you lose all the good stuff and bring nothing to the table? Man, that's a fucking waste.

LostAnkh

Just to clarify, I wasn't calling ReiGun a purist, or anybody here.

It doesn't have to be, but samba henshin was great. It added a little touch of life and goofiness when the series needed it. You can drop it, but you need to replace it with something worthwhile and I doubt Saban will.

I'm not a sentai purist. The scene-for-scene seasons aren't usually the best, but you have to replace it with something solid. Like Space, which jettisoned most of Megaranger to do its own thing. And that was good. But the "this is not super sentai" doesn't fly. People are worried because Kyoryuger as a whole was a really good sentai season. Power Rangers has to step up to that plate and match it. It can, but Samurai/Megaforce has not been the best of Saban or Disney era Power Rangers.

Cast good actors. Write good stories. And then people will be perfectly fine with all that you didn't bring over in the adaptation. But if you lose all the good stuff and bring nothing to the table? Man, that's a fucking waste.
If the samba fits with the theme of this PR season, then I wouldn't see them taking it out, but we'll have to see how Saban handles the morphs.

I'm not calling anyone a purist here, it was just an example. And I get what you mean, it has potential, but trying to match the Sentai season should never be the main reason you watch Power Rangers. It's a new show with familiar elements (to varying degree) and it should be treated as such. I get that when they do try to completely copy the Sentai (Time Force, Wild Force, etc), some things don't translate well, but there will be something new and unique.

Is ToQger the official romanization?

Yep.
http://www.orendsrange.com/2014/01/ressha-sentai-tokkyuger-official.html

CGD2-78438.jpg

Just to clarify, I wasn't calling ReiGun a purist, or anybody here.

If the samba fits with the theme of this PR season, then I wouldn't see them taking it out, but we'll have to see how Saban handles the morphs.

I'm not calling anyone a purist here, it was just an example. And I get what you mean, it has potential, but trying to match the Sentai season should never be the main reason you watch Power Rangers. It's a new show with familiar elements (to varying degree) and it should be treated as such. I get that when they do try to completely copy the Sentai (Time Force, Wild Force, etc), some things don't translate well, but there will be something new and unique.

I don't necessarily think being a purist is a bad thing. One can like what they like.

When I say "match" I'm speaking to the idea that any adaptation should strive to match or surpass the original source material. This goes for Sentai/Power Rangers, novel to film, or whatever.

For example, Arrow is a very different show from the Green Arrow source material, but what they've replaced with is very good. The problem with a bad adaptation is you're left with thinking of all the good things in the original source material, which makes the adaptation look even worse in comparison.

Regardless of how Power Rangers runs, it will be compared to the Super Sentai from which it springs if the viewer has knowledge of that original show. That's not necessarily bad. Sometimes the adaptation treads its own ground to such a degree that comparison isn't possible like Go-Onger/RPM. In that case, sometimes the jump in quality from original to adaptation actually makes the latter look even better. That's the give and take of an adaptation/reboot/tweak.

Honestly, I think a good adaptation or reboot is almost harder than starting from scratch.

Defuser

Dino Charge is another excuse for JDF to make an appearance. Perhaps he can do something regarding that awful souless washboard acting that saban puts out.

It's not really comparable to Fang Joker though.
Next month we're getting the actual Fang/Joker upgrade for Gaim.

I feel like they're teasing the Gaim upgrades pretty early, but we're about 13+ episodes off from when most final forms appear, so it's probably just me.

Jaeger

Kamen Rider: Battride War II for PS3 announced!

EDIT - I'm late as hell, I see.

Errr, anyway. Just watched the final Kyoryuger ep. So sad. :/ I need that V-Cinema, though.

Watch Da Birdie

Are they gonna keep the gun morphers?

I mean having fist-based morphers for Gekiranger's adaption was considered too violent, so I imagine using guns would be a big no-no.

I get the feeling with Dino Charge they're going to make the green ranger a female, to continue the whole 3 guys 2 girls thing. Souji is probably the most feminine looking so it may as well be him.

(Then again, Domon was the manliest Timeranger and he still got turned into a woman, so who knows)

As for the Kyoryu finale...yeah it was pretty disappointing. Felt very rushed (I get the feeling that Kyoryuger was supposed to be 49 eps, but got contracted to 48) and I felt the big bads (Chaos, Deboss) went down WAY too easy. We didn't even get the traditional helmetless roll call, which has been around since Magiranger. I agree that it seems like the Vs. movie and the 10 years after V-Cinema special will be a proper ending to the series.

Overall Kyoryuger was a very good series. It had some epic moments and was tons of fun overall, but it seemed like they blew their load too early, threw in WAY too many rangers, and had the crowd pleasing moments way too quick, leaving nothing for the finale.

Parallax

I get the feeling with Dino Charge they're going to make the green ranger a female, to continue the whole 3 guys 2 girls thing. Souji is probably the most feminine looking so it may as well be him.

(Then again, Domon was the manliest Timeranger and he still got turned into a woman, so who knows)

they'll probably make cyan and grey official rangers and make cyan female, and keep violet female

drizzle

Axel Hertz
As for the Kyoryu finale...yeah it was pretty disappointing. Felt very rushed (I get the feeling that Kyoryuger was supposed to be 49 eps, but got contracted to 48) and I felt the big bads (Chaos, Deboss) went down WAY too easy. We didn't even get the traditional helmetless roll call, which has been around since Magiranger. I agree that it seems like the Vs. movie and the 10 years after V-Cinema special will be a proper ending to the series.

We did get all of them doing a roll call with no suits. It wasn't a full roll call (they were separated), but they all did their rollcalls.

Jaeger

So, back for a quick Jaeger's Kiva Report.

So far, I like it. But there are some major issues that are holding the show, back. Mainly, Wataru's severe lack of character, or backbone. He's my least favorite archetype. It's even more eveident when he used his powers (Garuru, Dogga, etc) and their personalities take control.

Also, I wish the villians were much more structured. Maybe a headquarters. It's so random, and spread. Like, some loose "we don't talk ever, except when Queen wants to take someone out" group. The Fangire could be so much more, than what they seem.

Otoya should have been the modern time lead. Or at least, his personality. He is awesome.

Overall Kyoryuger was a very good series. It had some epic moments and was tons of fun overall, but it seemed like they blew their load too early, threw in WAY too many rangers, and had the crowd pleasing moments way too quick, leaving nothing for the finale.

Souji being female is doable, but it'd play play up some of the bromance in suit scenes into something completely different.

Better idea is to bring in the female Cyan and Violet suits earlier and film some new footage.

I believe the suitless roll call in the preview episode was supposed to cover the helmetless role call.

Slayven

Seeing how they will have to chop it up, bringing in Cyan as the other female is totally double and make the most sense. Maybe make her and grey the Bash twins?

Top Bottom