• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
As someone who subbed for TVN, I can tell you the the weekly grind can burn you out pretty quick.

ToQger is a weird show.

I'm not an adamant hater of TVN myself (I mean I watched their Kamen Rider subs), but, like, wow, I really want to hear more about what it was like to work with them. To be fair, they seem like generally enthusiastic dudes, and I don't really consider mistranslating a Japanese kids show to be the biggest crime, but I've also heard the takenoko dude is like completely oblivious to criticism.

I'm not an adamant hater of TVN myself (I mean I watched their Kamen Rider subs), but, like, wow, I really want to hear more about what it was like to work with them. To be fair, they seem like generally enthusiastic dudes, and I don't really consider mistranslating a Japanese kids show to be the biggest crime, but I've also heard the takenoko dude is like completely oblivious to criticism.

It was interesting. I subbed Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, and my sole sentai was Dekaranger. Early KRs were full typesetting, last few were karaoke. Dekaranger was editing only. YourSurrogateGod, FallenIcon, and AutomaticZen are all the same person... that being me. I was experimenting with names. AutomaticZen stuck.

I believe my Ryuki, Faiz, and Dekaranger stuff was mostly replaced (the YourSurrogateGod era) when they did the DVD subs. Particularly proud of the Hibiki Ending and most of the title cards, because I tried to make them match the real text exactly.

Still have my typesetting folder actually.
O7TlqPk.png

All of the stuff below was coded by hand in SSA/ASS subs format, which was mad tedious. Seriously, look at this goddamn gibberish.
aAsC92m.png

Dekaranger - Editing (At 3:52)

Blade Op 1 - Karaoke Typesetting

Blade Op 2 - Karaoke Typesetting

Hibiki - All Typesetting

Kabuto OP - Karaoke Typesetting

My real nightmares were timing and typesetting those damn signs in Hibiki, because they took forever to get just right and 95 percent of people never noticed. Stuff like this? An hour of work for little payoff.

I was fine with Takenoko. Kingranger was a problem occasionally, but that's just because people would rub him the wrong way at times and he'd lash out.

I've finally finished watching Kuuga. While I definitely enjoyed the last 10 or so episodes, the show never quite hooked me. I really liked the cinematography for all of the Grongi scenes, and it was nice to see the police being useful. I never really got invested in many of the characters, though, so a lot of the "normal, everyday" scenes in the show felt a bit boring to me. It was solid, but out of the Kamen Rider series I've finished it's my least favorite.

I thought Kuuga might have burned me out on Kamen Rider for a little while, but out of curiosity I checked out the first episode of Agito since I was planning to try it out next, and I'm already sold. I could easily see myself marathoning this show.

I've finally finished watching Kuuga. While I definitely enjoyed the last 10 or so episodes, the show never quite hooked me. I really liked the cinematography for all of the Grongi scenes, and it was nice to see the police being useful. I never really got invested in many of the characters, though, so a lot of the "normal, everyday" scenes in the show felt a bit boring to me. It was solid, but out of the Kamen Rider series I've finished it's my least favorite.

I thought Kuuga might have burned me out on Kamen Rider for a little while, but out of curiosity I checked out the first episode of Agito since I was planning to try it out next, and I'm already sold. I could easily see myself marathoning this show.

I expect the fire for this one, but I liked Agito much, much more than Kuuga.

Finished Kiva. It finished strong. Enjoyed it.

So what's next?

What are you missing so far and what did you like about Kiva? Once we know that we can tell you where to go next.

NeonZ

Also, the show's CGI got worse. Why, Toei.

Because no one is watching anyway, so why bother with good special effects. I think things will only get worse if Sentai doesn't get out of its current ratings slump. Kyoryuger had many recycled monster of the week suits too, which might be due to that. It'll be interesting to see if Tokkyuger will go through the same problem in that department too, which could indicate that they're getting budget cuts already.

One thing I can say so far is ToQ4 has a long j-drama career ahead of him if he can passably act. He looks like a drama lead every time he appears.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
That's odd.

How is it odd? I know the dude who did the Imagination Station sub. He did it because at the time, nobody had stepped up to do ToQger, and it looked as though nobody was going to. Now that O-T is doing it, he doesn't have to, and can focus on other stuff he's working on.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Eh, I'm kinda fine with GB not being done by Neo Saban. I wouldn't mind it if it's Disney though.

jwk94

How is it odd? I know the dude who did the Imagination Station sub. He did it because at the time, nobody had stepped up to do ToQger, and it looked as though nobody was going to. Now that O-T is doing it, he doesn't have to, and can focus on other stuff he's working on.

Oh, I thought he subbed the first episode just because. Anyway, that was a really good episode. I'm not too sure how I feel about it being so rushed, though. I like when they earn their cannons. The end revelation was a surprise.

Bikkun

Neo Member
He did it because no other group was at the time, but we QCed and released it for fun and because there's no reason not to.

Slayven

Toei reused the panda suit from Gekiranger, they can teach captain planet about recycling.

Goddamn the Shadowline designs. I watching in the dark, but I had to turn on the lights. Did they hire some devientart folks?

Damn. The farther I get away from my first watching of ToQger, the more I like it. I hated it on first viewing, but it's been hopping around in the back of my mind.

It's pretty light-hearted and goofy, but it doesn't turn me off as much as Go-Onger did. Pink annoyed me, but upon a second viewing, I kind of like her (she may get more annoying as the series goes on). Green and Yellow are solid, Blue could be hit or miss, and Red is the typical Red Oni. The whole show may hinge on the follow-up to the revelation at the end though.

Slayven

Damn. The farther I get away from my first watching of ToQger, the more I like it. I hated it on first viewing, but it's been hopping around in the back of my mind.

It's pretty light-hearted and goofy, but it doesn't turn me off as much as Go-Onger did. Pink annoyed me, but upon a second viewing, I kind of like her (she may get more annoying as the series goes on). Green and Yellow are solid, Blue could be hit or miss, and Red is the typical Red Oni. The whole show may hinge on the follow-up to the revelation at the end though.

Yeah at first glance it doesn't seem that deep. But thinking about it, shit is dark. I am going to let it cook for a while. Mech finisher was lame though.

ReiGun

Just finished ToQger.

- Love the opening theme. Sentai has been killing it with theme songs since Hurricanger.

- The Shadow Line designs are gothic to the point of almost parody.

- Not sold on the color switching. It's a neat idea, but if all it lets them do is use each other's weapons - something other sentai do by, you know, simply handing their weapon to a teammate - then it's pretty pointless.

- Wow the CG was bad during the second fight even by Toei standards.

- Can't decide if I like the team or not. We didn't really get to see much of their personalities. Pink was cute, and Red was your typical hot blooded red.

- Fights were alright.

Overall, I dug it. It has an upbeat and fun energy I like.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Color switching isn't a bad idea but they haven't sold me on it. Like, why does it need to be there?

Humor is hit or miss, mostly miss so far.

Like all the train stuff though. Like how the narrator in the opening says that the train departs during the time the show airs. Also the "I think I can, I think I can"

They should have got Gosei red's suit guy for this Red.

Yeah at first glance it doesn't seem that deep. But thinking about it, shit is dark. I am going to let it cook for a while. Mech finisher was lame though.

I'll be completely honest, my mind usually shuts down on sentai's mech battles. I usually skip them completely except for new forms appearing. Far more interested in the suit stuff.

Color switching isn't a bad idea but they haven't sold me on it. Like, why does it need to be there?

Currently, it doesn't. I believe the idea is more thematic in nature, reinforcing the idea that in your imagination, you can be whatever you want to be. It's telling that the most imaginative of the team, Right, is the first one to break out of the static colors and switch things up. I mean that middle button was obviously there before and none of the other decided to use it?

[EDIT] Further thoughts: Assuming they can summon each other's henshin items, the color switching should become more prominent in the single ranger focus episodes, where it becomes sort of a "which weapon is better" question.

I'm actually more interested in the effects of color switching down the line, as the male characters in this show are largely fine with being Pink. I wonder what the response/fallout will be for the show's young fans and their parents. Frankly, I'll also be interested in how Power Rangers handles it, because the body language of the male characters in switching to pink is largely nonchalant. Will they just cut those scenes, or try to awkwardly dub them over?

Why does every time something happens in Sentai the first thing people are concerned about is what Power Rangers will do?

This is making the assumption that those producers care and do more than dub over as much footage as possible to spend as little as possible and water down the rest that's too Japanese into a generic slush of an American children's show.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
Why does every time something happens in Sentai the first thing people are concerned about is what Power Rangers will do?

This is making the assumption that those producers care and do more than dub over as much footage as possible to spend as little as possible and water down the rest that's too Japanese into a generic slush of an American children's show.
It's a bit like Sonic: people hopelessly clinging on to any sort of hope that their series can return to its glory days.

Which, for Neo-Saban, can only occur when their current yes-man Tzachor is kicked out. Which won't happen any time soon, because nepotism is an incredibly powerful thing. (The Disney era was a bit of a blessing in disguise in that regards; Johnny T. still ain't friends with the Mouse House to this day.)

Because it's one of many discussion points and Power Rangers is an expected annual adaptation of sentai? Much like with any adaptation the question is "are they going to do X or Y? How will they handle Z?" See threads for Arrow, Marvel's Cinematic Universe, or any reboot.

I mean it's the last part of my third post on the episode. Not sure what the drama point is here.

Slayven

to give themselves hope

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Opening narration reminded me of Shinkenger. Which I guess makes sense since I know some of the people working on this show did that one.

JadanSheridan

Neo Member
ToQger was... alright. Some of the humor did feel a bit forced, and the fourth wall breaking was fine, a bit awkward, but nothing that might ruin the show for me. We'll see where it goes from here.

Now just waiting on new Gaim... I need it man... need my fix...

alvmew

ToQger was... alright. Some of the humor did feel a bit forced, and the fourth wall breaking was fine, a bit awkward, but nothing that might ruin the show for me. We'll see where it goes from here.

Now just waiting on new Gaim... I need it man... need my fix...

Aesir's sub actually went up just a few minutes before you posted!

Top Bottom