• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

anyone else here get the legacy dragonzord?

if you have any interest, get it before they go out of stock and prices hike up. its a pretty damn solid piece of plastic. The diecast makes gattaiing with dinozord a bit annoying but overall its worth it.

BqnxRJ2CIAACdjH.jpg:large

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
would 2014 count though?

Perhaps. Tokusatsu basically means special-effects filming, I guess technically any live-action film with a heavy focus on special effects would qualify. Using CG to represent a monster instead of a suit is basically the same general idea, regardless of one's view on which medium is more appealing.

I guess even Who Framed Roger Rabbit would be considered Tokusatsu.

WillyFive

Perhaps. Tokusatsu basically means special-effects filming, I guess technically any live-action film with a heavy focus on special effects would qualify. Using CG to represent a monster instead of a suit is basically the same general idea, regardless of one's view on which medium is more appealing.

I guess even Who Framed Roger Rabbit would be considered Tokusatsu.

That's true, but I like how Box of Bunnies compared it to anime, using it colloquially in English to refer specifically to shows and movies of Japanese origin or adapted from them.

So Legendary's Godzilla counts as Toku, just as much as Power Rangers does.

Watch Da Birdie

Gaim's going well, but seems Episode 37 is going to be another non-Urobuchi written episode, this time "Baron's Soccer Showdown Summer Camp" which presumably ties into the movie unless things are going to take a weird turn.

Episode 36 though, well, it's
Zangetsu vs. Shin Zangetsu
so that's gonna be fucking hype.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Gaoranger vs Super Sentai

For some reason, I decided to make Gaoranger my next focused series. So far it's not too bad. Sae is one of the better female Rangers, and Kakeru is a joy to watch. Though I can see why people may not like this series (it's VERY toyetic, almost Pokemon-like with all the animals they need to collect)

Of course, it's also the 25th Anniversary season, with a big crossover movie. It was... disappointing.
Half of it was a fucking clip show. It's like they only had 40 minutes but wanted to make it a big feature length spectacle. "Just put in a shitload of old clips!"
Not to mention the "Forever Red" sequence was lame. They just appear, do their pose, and that inspires the Gaorangers to win. It's weird how Wild Force did the "Forever Red" idea way better (even if it was plagued by executive meddling).

I will say, Big One is a damn pimp, and I'm really interested in Liveman after Red Falcon's appearance.
Go Yellow needs to tone it the fuck down. He's way too over-the-top even for a Sentai character.

WillyFive

Gaoranger vs Super Sentai

For some reason, I decided to make Gaoranger my next focused series. So far it's not too bad. Sae is one of the better female Rangers, and Kakeru is a joy to watch. Though I can see why people may not like this series (it's VERY toyetic, almost Pokemon-like with all the animals they need to collect)

Of course, it's also the 25th Anniversary season, with a big crossover movie. It was... disappointing.
Half of it was a fucking clip show. It's like they only had 40 minutes but wanted to make it a big feature length spectacle. "Just put in a shitload of old clips!"
Not to mention the "Forever Red" sequence was lame. They just appear, do their pose, and that inspires the Gaorangers to win. It's weird how Wild Force did the "Forever Red" idea way better (even if it was plagued by executive meddling).

I will say, Big One is a damn pimp, and I'm really interested in Liveman after Red Falcon's appearance.
Go Yellow needs to tone it the fuck down. He's way too over-the-top even for a Sentai character.

Gaoranger vs Super Sentai was legit bad.

Boukenger vs Super Sentai did the exact same format and premise a lot better later on though (and without it being a clip show!).

Also, Liveman still has probably the best 1st episode in the entire Sentai series. The rest of the show does not live up to it at all whatsoever, but it was an amazing 1st episode.

Yeah he's an idiot, but I dunno, he's slightly more interesting than the rest of the cast at the very least.

dont recall you mentioning it on 8-4play but does your kid dig toqger? suckered into buying the trains?

Anyhow i finally got around to watching that big budget cg action flick based loosely on the beginning arc of Journey to the West. Story was pretty damn weak, and the cg was unfinished in many ways, buuuut it was pretty fun and a good flick to see where china's big budget cg level is currently at.

The trailer pretty much sums it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCj-XP5cjOY

On an interesting note, its kinda neat that they seemingly took homage to dragonball in which wukong goes full ape mode at one point. It's not as great looking as peter jackson's king kong, but it had me amused :p

tmk.jpg

decided to watch me some garo again. Zero ova was fun enough just because of the french lol.

watched a few eps of Flower of makai. Like the kid's fighting style, but his face, i just can't stop giggling. so funny looking!

a bit disappointed that its back to the old garo formula. really dug yami even with its problems.

Pluto

Forever Red is the best power rangers episode.
It's memorable and it was awesome to see 10 red rangers but the writing was garbage, the plot made no sense, Jason in douche mode was out of character and almost every scene felt like filmed fan fiction, I really don't think it was a particularly good episode.

Watch Da Birdie

Gaim spoilers:

I knew it was only a matter of time before they tried to nuke Zawame

BossRush

Hey long time stalker first time poster, I'm really glad there's a toku thread here on gaf! Also I really enjoyed watching this week's episode of Gaim, oh man it was so good.

NeonZ

It's memorable and it was awesome to see 10 red rangers but the writing was garbage, the plot made no sense, Jason in douche mode was out of character and almost every scene felt like filmed fan fiction, I really don't think it was a particularly good episode.

I really disagree about almost everything there. Yes, Jason was off, but it's not that bad considering how long he was off screen. Tommy himself has been a very different character for no reason in every single one of his appearances since Turbo, but that doesn't make, say, Dino Thunder trash. Even Super Sentai had some of the veterans with fairly different characterization in Gokaiger, and that was when they had individual focus, rather than being part of an ensemble cast.

Also, I don't see how the plot was garbage compared to other one off stories in the franchise. Tying it to the Machine Empire was a smart way to give it relevancy when they didn't have time to properly build up the villains. And Machine Empire remnants had much less story problems than, say, Zedd's and Rita's son. It also avoided the problem of many other Power Ranger crossovers where you've got the current villains appearing, escaping, and then the other teams just leaving afterwards too for no reason.

It could have used an actual zord battle, rather than bike vs zord, but that's its biggest problem. A more complex story and such could only be achieved if it had been longer than one episode.

kinda feel bad for him. no matter what you do you can't beat plot armor.

"He got ANOTHER lockseed?"

But the smart play (read: early Micchy) would be to call it a day and join with Kouta. They accepted Yoko with little issue.

Of course, now he's in too deep. So I agree with his actor: no redemption.

javadoze

Did anyone else have huge SMT vibes during the latest episode? Like, more than usual.

Actually, when the show started to ramp up I started to think the same thing.

Law: Yggdrasil

Neutral: Kouta and co

Chaos: Overlords

Gaim episode 34 spoilers

Of course, you can't forget the nukes.

Xerotwo

Damn, Micchy. You've gone one step further into insanity.

Also, dat Monster Hunter meat plushie.

I didn't know that Redue was a female

NeonZ

Actually, when the show started to ramp up I started to think the same thing.

Law: Yggdrasil
Neutral: Kouta and co
Chaos: Overlords

Gaim episode 34 spoilers

Of course, you can't forget the nukes.

The only problem is that the actual Yggdrazil basically has had no relevant characters ever since Takatora was kicked out, with only Ryoma's group (which was chaos aligned too) and nameless officers remaining afterwards. And now there's not even Ryoma's group anymore.

Then again, I guess SMT more often than not shafts law too.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah Micchy isn't really doing so well.

Atleast he has a girlfriend now...Redyue (yes, she's a girl)

Did anyone else have huge SMT vibes during the latest episode? Like, more than usual.

Well, some of the Kamen Rider dudes worked on SMT IV---which also was samurai-themed. I wouldn't be surprise if SMT rubbed off on them when helping create Gaim.

I actually named my protag of SMT IV Kouta back when it first came out...I thought though that Kaito would be Chaos (pretty much is with the same "muh strength!" as Walter), and I pegged Micchy for Law like Jonathan. Not sure if that still holds up---I guess he does sort of have the Law Trait of wanting people to follow along and not cause any extra trouble, but Takatora seems a better fit.

Top Bottom