• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

new decade movie?

wonder what tsukasa's hair style will be this time!

and he's been in enough movies and what not post show, that i think decade deserves a new form by now.

New Decade movie? Yes please.

fXd7jDU.gif

Decade is eternal

NeonZ

Starts in October, and mentions something about a new Decade movie (?) tying into it. I recall that one Toei thing earlier this year mentioning a new Decade project...

That's not talking about a Decade movie, it's just saying that Drive will start in October alongside the new Data Card Dass/DCD (the Ganbaride or Ganbarizing-like arcade games with cards), Kamen Rider Drivers Battle.

vareon

How was the first season? I want to know if it's worth catching up on.

I wish I can recommend it to you but it's pretty hard. It's very rough in every aspect, and the only one that keeps me going is kibou hope that it's a start of something really good in the coming years.

The best thing I liked is some genuinely creepy villain plots in the first half of the series and the non-cgi fights get better later on.

This second season is supposed to run in four cours and I think that's insane.

I'm okay with Hot Wheels, assuming it looks and functions well. Guess only time will tell with that.
Looked up Keiichi Hasegawa and it looks like most of his tokusatsu credits are for Ultraman. I haven't watched any Ultraman yet but is there anyone that's seen seasons he's worked on and could comment on overall plot quality and/or style?

jwk94

That's not talking about a Decade movie, it's just saying that Drive will start in October alongside the new Data Card Dass/DCD (the Ganbaride or Ganbarizing-like arcade games with cards), Kamen Rider Drivers Battle.

hopes and dreams crushed.

NeonZ

I'm okay with Hot Wheels, assuming it looks and functions well. Guess only time will tell with that.
Looked up Keiichi Hasegawa and it looks like most of his tokusatsu credits are for Ultraman. I haven't watched any Ultraman yet but is there anyone that's seen seasons he's worked on and could comment on overall plot quality and/or style?

He also wrote quite a few episodes for W (20 out of 49 episodes) and some for Fourze (8 out of 48). At least in Fourze, he was a better secondary writer than Sanjo. Everyone was kept in character even under his pen, while Sanjo couldn't match up well with the main writer's characterization.

He also wrote quite a few episodes for W (20 out of 49 episodes) and some for Fourze (8 out of 48). At least in Fourze, he was a better secondary writer than Sanjo. Everyone was kept in character even under his pen, while Sanjo couldn't match up well with the main writer's characterization.

Oh wow, almost half of W? That's my favorite Kamen Rider thus far. Glad to hear about character consistency. Looking forward to the next season a bit more now!

vareon

I consider Tiga, Dyna, and Gaia to be the three best Ultraman. Nexus is the Hibiki/Go-busters of Ultraman in which they tried to appeal to adult but completely failed in merchandise. Ultra Seven X is forgettable.

If he's really writing Drive, it's in capable hand though not as hype as Gen Urobuchi. Then it's a matter of what restrictions must he face in writing and how he plays with that.

I consider Tiga, Dyna, and Gaia to be the three best Ultraman. Nexus is the Hibiki/Go-busters of Ultraman in which they tried to appeal to adult but completely failed in merchandise. Ultra Seven X is forgettable.

If he's really writing Drive, it's in capable hand though not as hype as Gen Urobuchi. Then it's a matter of what restrictions must he face in writing and how he plays with that.

I'm perfectly fine with capable if that does end up being the case. No matter who wrote the next season it'd be hard to be as hype as Urobuchi. It feels like bringing him on for Gaim brought in new fans of the series. Hoping Drive will be able to keep them around.

Edit: Oh hey I'm not a junior anymore!

Slayven

WHEN SUPER IS NOT ENOUGH!!!!!!!

BossRush

I realized why I'm really excited for Drive. I'm getting a car eventually so there's probably going to be some Drive related key ring merchandise that'll look sick.

WillyFive

As far as sixth ranger premieres go....this one was pretty boring. The best part was The Conductor's antics and how he wanted to be he sixth.

ToQ-6's civilian character design is great, I love the orange worker hat; and although his morphed form is a little bit too similar to the core 5 designs as far as sixth rangers go in my opinion (even his transformation sequence and roll call is near identical to the other 5), the bold orange still gives it a bit of sheen.

As a poster here said, his story reminds me of Gekiviolet; except written and executed with a degree of apathy that you can't really tell if it's a serious story or a sarcastic one. The show dramatically presents his story as a tragic one, but what his actual "evil deeds" are seem so silly and inoffensive that I can't tell if I'm supposed to laugh or feel bad for him.

His theme song is fly, but his first fight was pretty boring and forgettable. He was mostly just tumbling around being a boob, which of course makes it harder to tell if this is a comedic character or a serious one.

That's just my first impressions, I could end up with a completely different opinion on him by the end of the show, or even sooner. After all, I thought Beet and Stag Buster were pretty lame in their first episode; but in the very next episode they became the most awesome and interesting Rangers in years.

Slayven

As far as sixth ranger premieres go....this one was pretty boring. The best part was The Conductor's antics and how he wanted to be he sixth.

ToQ-6's civilian character design is great, I love the orange worker hat; and although his morphed form is a little bit too similar to the core 5 designs as far as sixth rangers go in my opinion (even his transformation sequence and roll call is near identical to the other 5), the bold orange still gives it a bit of sheen.

As a poster here said, his story reminds me of Gekiviolet; except written and executed with a degree of apathy that you can't really tell if it's a serious story or a sarcastic one. The show dramatically presents his story as a tragic one, but what his actual "evil deeds" are seem so silly and inoffensive that I can't tell if I'm supposed to laugh or feel bad for him.

His theme song is fly, but his first fight was pretty boring and forgettable. He was mostly just tumbling around being a boob, which of course makes it harder to tell if this is a comedic character or a serious one.

That's just my first impressions, I could end up with a completely different opinion on him by the end of the show, or even sooner. After all, I thought Beet and Stag Buster were pretty lame in their first episode; but in the very next episode they became the most awesome and interesting Rangers in years.

Si pretty much par for the course for the whole series.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Basically, ToQger is still having tone problems. It set itself up as a comedy Sentai a/la Carranger and Go-onger, and yet it's full of dark moments (like the Amnesia episode, and the main villain looking like a Nazi).
Was ToQ6 supposed to be a parody of that type of character? The anti-hero loner with a tragic past?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
His fight was good because he threw a box like Randy Orton then did a cross arm breaker.

I think his weapon is cool.

He does not save the show so far for me unfortunately.

Was ToQ6 supposed to be a parody of that type of character? The anti-hero loner with a tragic past?
Yes, except it's missing the being funny part.

Slayven

Basically, ToQger is still having tone problems. It set itself up as a comedy Sentai a/la Carranger and Go-onger, and yet it's full of dark moments (like the Amnesia episode, and the main villain looking like a Nazi).

It's a parody of parody sentais.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
That's a Gelnewt. It was a MOTW in Ryuki, and later used as basic footsoldiers in the Decade/Den-O movie and Dragon Knight.

I heard the reason the Decade/Den-O movie used them was because Dragon Knight had a lot of suits produced so they were cheap and ready to go for Toei to re-use.

BatDan

So apparently in Gaim, Zawame city is actually Gotham City.

bqvmxcucaaaogntmskxi.jpg

No wonder the rest of the world sent nukes.

"I am an avenger of justice. I am vengeance. I am the night. I... see a man in orange armor fighting off monsters. What the hell?"

The ad for Battride War II on PSN links over to a little section where most of the modern Kamen Rider movies are up for rental (or something), all the way up to the 2nd Wizard movie, with a few old ones here and there. It's nothing special, but I thought that was a good idea on their part.
Still waiting for some decent vids of Meteor in action.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, Battride War II is up for digital download. Neat.

Hey, do you know if it's the TV Sound Edition, though? I guess not since that'd probably be a physical release deal.

Sometimes, when I'm watching Juspion, it seems less like less of a super hero show and more like a crime drama with a mascot and powered armor - even when the giant monsters show up.

Yeah, Battride War II is up for digital download. Neat.

Hey, do you know if it's the TV Sound Edition, though? I guess not since that'd probably be a physical release deal.

Nah, from what I can see it's just the regular disk. I thought they'd sell the extra stuff as DLC, but apparently not (or at least not yet).

Amazon prices fore Battlride 2 are insane.

All import games go for crazy prices on the US Amazon storefront. It should go down after a few weeks, though; after the recent influx of shops from Japan, pricing has improved overall.

Watch Da Birdie

I actually imported Battride War II...CDJapan had the Sound Edition for 102$, which was pretty good...

But I ended up canceling it. Unfortunately from what I've been reading, it's barely an improvement over the original (which I had a lot of fun with), and not worth it unless you missed out on the first one.

Besides the obvious lack of new characters, apparently the mission structure hasn't been improved whatsoever, and in-fact I hear the missions are even more repetitive than in the original. They also skimped out on dialogue this time around, apparently everything's basically just recycled from the first and lifted from the movies. Even the "Kamen Rider Movie!" theme is lacking, with no Orga for Faiz for instance, or a fight with that giant Orphenoch which would've been amazing.

I've read there are apparently six slots for possible DLC or something in addition to the two for Kiwami/Zangetsu, so if the price drops and some cool DLC characters come out, I might reconsider. I wonder if they'll continue the Movie Theme and add in Kamuro/Mars once the Gaim Summer Movie comes out, I imagine the rest of the DLC would be Gaim Riders since they're easy to get the VA to come back, so maybe Malika and Duke. Don't know if they'd release Micchy DLC since he's already an assist.

Still can't believe they missed the obvious playable secondaries. If they would've done that, I would've bought this game without hesitation.

I actually imported Battride War II...CDJapan had the Sound Edition for 102$, which was pretty good...

But I ended up canceling it. Unfortunately from what I've been reading, it's barely an improvement over the original (which I had a lot of fun with), and not worth it unless you missed out on the first one.

Besides the obvious lack of new characters, apparently the mission structure hasn't been improved whatsoever, and in-fact I hear the missions are even more repetitive than in the original. They also skimped out on dialogue this time around, apparently everything's basically just recycled from the first and lifted from the movies. Even the "Kamen Rider Movie!" theme is lacking, with no Orga for Faiz for instance, or a fight with that giant Orphenoch which would've been amazing.

I've read there are apparently six slots for possible DLC or something in addition to the two for Kiwami/Zangetsu, so if the price drops and some cool DLC characters come out, I might reconsider. I wonder if they'll continue the Movie Theme and add in Kamuro/Mars once the Gaim Summer Movie comes out, I imagine the rest of the DLC would be Gaim Riders since they're easy to get the VA to come back, so maybe Malika and Duke. Don't know if they'd release Micchy DLC since he's already an assist.

Still can't believe they missed the obvious playable secondaries. If they would've done that, I would've bought this game without hesitation.

Yeah, I was going to write about Battride War II because I have it, but I was going to give it more time....

If you've played the first, its totally not worth it. I think within the first six levels, three of them were straight up from the first game, and the other three were small arena levels to one on one fight a movie boss or something.

Basically, its what an old school PC expansion pack was back in the day, where they add some movie battles, Gaim Riders (not even that many of them), and smooth some things out and alter a few moves. Definitely not worth full price, but if you've never played the first, wait for a price drop and definitely get it because the core game is a ton of fun for a KR fan.

BatDan

I just remembered something from a couple months ago.

I went to C2E2 and talked to Steve Cardenas for a bit (he's pretty cool). There was a woman sitting next to him (someone that probably works the convention floor and stuff) and she mentioned showing Megaforce to her nephews. Then she showed the original MMPR to them, and they said they liked MMPR better.

You hear that Saban? Even kids don't like Megaforce!

Slayven

I went to C2E2 and talked to Steve Cardenas for a bit (he's pretty cool). There was a woman sitting next to him (someone that probably works the convention floor and stuff) and she mentioned showing Megaforce to her nephews. Then she showed the original MMPR to them, and they said they liked MMPR better.

Kids are great bullshit detectors

Tenumi

Banned

Really helps that, at least in my opinion, MMPR has aged amazingly well. Going through it on Netflix, and I'm probably enjoying it as much, if not more, than the first time around.

BatDan

Abaranger 26

... Well, i didn't think they would top the baseball episode, but they did! A cartoon character come to life! What the hell?
Apparently, this episode was a crossover with an anime adapted from a long-running manga. That explains so much.
What's weird is that this is a required episode since Nakadai defeats Jeanne in the b-plot.
I think I need a long walk.

WillyFive

Yeah, the cartoon character was pretty cool, reminded me of the live action Looney Tunes/Roger Rabbit movies. I always considered Sentai and Toku to be like them, due to the heavy use of 2D animation even today with their Flash morph sequences.

The plot of the episode was nonsense though.

Watch Da Birdie

Oh man, looks like in the Gaim Summer Movie Oren calls in his old army crew as backup complete with Watermelon Mechs.

Also the new episode...next week can't come soon enough.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Really helps that, at least in my opinion, MMPR has aged amazingly well. Going through it on Netflix, and I'm probably enjoying it as much, if not more, than the first time around.

My kid prefers MMPR to Mega Force. It's not like MMPR is that good or even good at all, it's just that compared to Mega Force it actually makes sense.

THIS WEEKS GAIM
I feel like I say this every week but SHIT JUST GOT REAL.

LostAnkh

Gaim Episode 35

Wow, I seriously can't wait for the next episode, so much intensity in this episode that will reach a peak in the next one.

shaowebb

Checked the japanese playstation store price for digital Battride War 2 ...still around $76 . Forget that. I'd rather import for that price. I'll hold off and wait. I never got the first one sadly, but at least I got an account now to get the inevitable DLC for this one.

javadoze

I think instead of watching this week's ToQger episode, I'm just going to watch Daigo profusely beating up Right.

Regarding last week's debut of ToQ6, it seems like this show has tone problems (as stated above). Kyoryuger could be genuinely funny, emotional, and uplifting all in the same episode (even if the villains are seen dancing in the credits, they're still more threatening than ToQger's villains). ToQger just seems like it's on the border between being a run-of-the-mill Sentai and a comedy Sentai and does neither correctly. 6's debut seems to me like the show's creative staff couldn't agree whether to take a more straightforward or tongue-in-cheek approach to him.

Top Bottom