• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

javadoze

Supposedly, Thursday is the usual day for press conferences, so some are speculating that the Kamen Rider Drive conference will be at 1AM EDT/2PM JST.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The driver and the brace look cool, but I really can't say anything else beyond that; the motif/toyline really isn't something that can turn me off a show. With that said, I wonder if the rumor of Shun Yoshida being the head writer will turn out to be true? Kamen Rider (and Super Sentai) mostly benefits when there's a new writer with some fresh ideas on board that isn't Kobayashi, Inoue, or someone who's been in the same pool of writers that Toei keeps reusing in the past years.

I'd remove that link to be safe, links to sites with magazine scans are usually banned.

Of course, they don't seem to really crack down on the OT-side of things, and that's just a toy catalog, but I'd remove the link just to be on the safe side. :)

How will drive be merched? Doesn't seem like there will be that many toy cars.

Maybe some more merchandise outside the cars? The return of "Robot Buddies"?

javadoze

I'd remove that link to be safe, links to sites with magazine scans are usually banned.

Of course, they don't seem to really crack down on the OT-side of things, and that's just a toy catalog, but I'd remove the link just to be on the safe side. :)
I removed the link.
no love for ultraman?

:(
I like Ginga...

(To my understanding, the last Ultraman show before Ginga was Neo in 2008-2009. It's not that people hate Ultraman, but rather the franchise hasn't had yearly, ongoing installments from year to year in order for a fanbase to grow like with Super Sentai and Kamen Rider.)

no love for ultraman?

I like part of Ultraman, but honestly, I literally skip the mecha fights when I watch Super Sentai and Ultraman is pretty much focused on that. The highpoint for me was probably the Zero film with Ultra Galaxy being the best. Of course, that was directed by Sakamoto, and he moved onto Sentai and Kamen Rider.

vareon

no love for ultraman?

I just bought this:

8c3Ao1B.jpg

Nexus is my favorite design.

NeonZ

How will drive be merched? Doesn't seem like there will be that many toy cars.

A rumor posted before the scans, but which had seemingly the right names for several cars there, suggested that we're getting collectible toys for the villains too this year, not just the main Rider. "Mashin(Advancing Demon) Chasers" seems to be the name of the enemies and Spider Viral Core, Bat Viral Core and Cobra Viral Core the first three collectibles for them.

It doesn't seem like we're getting multiple Riders though, so we're back to a two Rider show. Although with the villains getting merchandising from the start, they might be treated differently from what we saw in the W-Wizard years. There were some Gaia Memories and Zodiarts Switches released for those series, but in those cases it was afterwards and they had generic sounds of multiple Dopants/Zodiarts.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Honestly we need to go back to a two rider show. As good as Gaim is, Kouta could use some more development.

I disagree. The two Rider format is stale and boring. However, I can agree to something like a four Rider show. Two Riders isn't enough, but Gaim's 12-13 Riders IS a bit much.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Honestly we need to go back to a two rider show. As good as Gaim is, Kouta could use some more development.

I read someone's notes on the Gaim and Toq movie and it said "90% of the movie deals with Kota not understanding what’s going on.". Really not that much different form how he is on the show.

Slayven

I disagree. The two Rider format is stale and boring. However, I can agree to something like a four Rider show. Two Riders isn't enough, but Gaim's 12-13 Riders IS a bit much.
There can be a middle ground
I read someone's notes on the Gaim and Toq movie and it said "90% of the movie deals with Kota not understanding what’s going on.". Really not that much different form how he is on the show.

Thats sad, a hero shouldn't be simple like that. If they are they should be like Fourze, grasps complex shit but boils it down to their logic.

Will it return to two episodes format is the bigger question.

I really hope not. I'm going to try and stay open-minded regardless but it would really suck to go back to such a strict format after what Gaim was able to do. They don't have to make the narrative continuous but please save the two parters for when important stuff is happening.

There can be a middle ground

Thats sad, a hero shouldn't be simple like that. If they are they should be like Fourze, grasps complex shit but boils it down to their logic.

What in the hell are you people talking about? Kouta has went through a bunch of changes from his first introduction.

Kouta started out as some unreliable young adult who didn't know what to do with his life. He was done Beat Riding and wanted to grow up fast because his parents aren't around and his sis takes all the work on herself.

So he goes out to find a job and then shit happens with turning into Gaim. He struggles with what to do, and doesn't even become an official Kamen Rider until MUCH later. During this time, he's a dickhead, full of himself, as a bodyguard, before nearly getting
killed and being frightened because shit, this organization doesn't fuck around.

Then, he gets his resolve to fight for real. He's still struggling with what to do with life, but damnit, he's getting on the right track.

Next, even more shit happens with the Overlords, and him having to
kill Hase and had killed Yuuya
. He had to get over the hurdle of those monsters being human once. And this is before the midway point, mind you.

Okay, so then he figures out the shit with the forest, and that's when he decides to protect the city as a Kamen Rider. Later on, he tries his best to talk to the Overlords, but figures out in the span of only a few episodes that it's a bad idea, and
resolves to become one
, all while the city crumbles infront of him.

That's not including fighting HawkTiger's ideals while getting his put in check from going too far (befriending the Overlords wouldn't work).

Kouta went from a unstable dude to a true Kamen Rider, with actual shit happening to him to back that up instead of "YES I AM KAMEN RIDER".

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
purple...but, why? and what about plezuon?

Dricera is the Triceratops, and that's a "boy toy", and since "boy toys" aren't pink, it was recolored purple. At least going by RangerCrew...
I swear... execs know nothing. The "girls don't buy toys" mindset is beyond toxic.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Dricera is the Triceratops, and that's a "boy toy", and since "boy toys" aren't pink, it was recolored purple. At least going by RangerCrew...
I swear... execs know nothing. The "girls don't buy toys" mindset is beyond toxic.

theres gonna have to be a lot of editing if thats the case. i fear what they plan to do for rail raiders.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Oh man, there's pictures out of some of the Legacy Rider Lock Seed Forms in the Ganbaride game...

Like Kuuga Knuckles, Hibiki Bravo, Kiva Sigurd...so wish we got these in the show.

That's probably it. I forgot that Kyoryuzin's base form was the first three part mech with a pink component. Stupid decision regardless considering that its whole gimmick is to be modular.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I was reading some olds posts on over-time release blog and.... and...

Deka: The majority of the show is currently at editing plus typesetting. One VS is in the process to be timed and four episodes remain to be translated.

Are they actually going to release dekaranger? Oh joy

what? why? Did they do it for a Pterodactyl callback?

Who even knows. Consistency with the previous Megazords having a piece each from the core five colours?

It was Tommy's Zord in the show with Kat "co-piloting" (in other words just kinda standing behind him in the cockpit) so it's not like they were trying to present it as a Pink Zord or anything on television, it just became the Pink Shogunzord in the toyline.

NeonZ

Another toyguide scan appeared for Driver.

"Mashin Chaser" is labeled as a "Rival" character, and it seems to be a single hero/villain with three collectibles, rather than multiple villains. Although he doesn't have "Rider" in his name, he's also getting his transformation device and a figurine in the main toyline (like the equivalent of Gaim's Arms Change series).

So, he pretty much seems to be a possibly evil Rider, just not called one. I wonder if we'll get Tsukada as a producer again (W/Fourze)? His shows and movies seemed to be the only ones that worried about how evil Riders weren't real riders, with the characters calling out evil people who called themselves Riders or just not using evil Riders.

NeonZ

iirc the only time he's classified as a Rider was the SIC box.

http://i.imgur.com/npml77g.jpg

None of his other merchandises do. I'd like him to be not a Rider, myself.

There's also some other stuff, like the Shadowmoon medal, the package with it called him a Rival Rider. There was also the Super Climax Heroes site. Also, some promotion for All Riders vs Dai-Shocker called him an evil Rider. Still, it's inconsistent, and most of the time he's just "Shadowmoon".

Top Bottom