• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Dude's name is Pierre Oren Alfonzo.

I think we all know what meme's to come of this.

Zynx

Oh damn, Micchy's last voiceover line in the latest Gaim.

I also wonder how tragic things will go as the series goes on. Some of the things that can be inferred from the opening scene, for example: I wonder if almost everyone's dead and only Invess are left?

WillyFive

Yay Powerful Rangers remain strong!

Why TVN subs

Sadly, most people use TV-N by default because of the format they release their videos (logical MP4s instead of alien MKVs). If somebody needs to upload somewhere or do a quick mockup commercial for the toy fair, TV-N has it in the most convenient manner.

Yay Powerful Rangers remain strong!

Sadly, most people use TV-N by default because of the format they release their videos (logical MP4s instead of alien MKVs). If somebody needs to upload somewhere or do a quick mockup commercial for the toy fair, TV-N has it in the most convenient manner.

And they've been doing everything for years now. Any other group is picking and choosing.

Watch Da Birdie

By the way, there were Kyoryuger shout-outs in the new Gaim episode..."keep smiling", and "this stings" could be seen when all the blog comments popped up.

Another little easter egg...the fat Raid Wild member is eating in every scene, even the dance scene he's holding what appear to be French Fries.

Oh damn, Micchy's last voiceover line in the latest Gaim.

I also wonder how tragic things will go as the series goes on. Some of the things that can be inferred from the opening scene, for example: I wonder if almost everyone's dead and only Invess are left?

Forget Micchy, I'm wondering what Jonouchi's gonna do...is he gonna go right back to Bravo, or will he jump back on the Riders' side since they're winning once more.

back from the dead!

Anyone else totally ready to shell out $200+$80 (+$80 if you don't already have legacy megazord)?

Toy-Fair-2014-Bandai-Power-Rangers-Legacy-027.jpg

Let's see, super megaforce, ok first eps, do note that the legendary morphers don't have gokaiger on the flip phone, gonna be a bunch of bad edits where that pops up. I do dig the jingle before 'final wave'. No clue why troy skipped school to stare at the see wondering about robo knight.

No gobuster power rangers bummed me out. It's probably my favorite sentai ever (not the best but my favorite). Great cqc fights, mecha system that they give a shit about. Support engineer crew, J is easily the best sentai member ever etc.

heck I even ended up impulse buying my first sentai mecha set ever (great gobuster oh set, about $180 after tax). Should be here this week :D

Speaking of which, after watching toqger 1, I'm feeling 50% that 2016 PR might just be gobusters lol. Current Saban would have no fucking clue how to do toqger for english audience >.<

Enjoyed toqger so far. Fantastic group pose. That chill ass announcer. These youtube quality cg

fire.jpg

The mecha is fucking awful though... like seriously wtf, can't believe the toy set cost so much... at least you can give it a big ass boner...

Such a shame when one of the most badass megazords were also a train.

tqm.jpg

stmz2.jpg

I do like how they do try to keep a consistent sense of scale for mecha stuff even all these years.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I always come back to this thread to read Gaim impressions because half the time I'm watching it I can't hear due to LOCK ON BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR MELON ENERGY DODODODODODODODODO

How is Jungle Fury? Sakamoto with a martial arts themed show can't be too bad right? I recall watching a few eps and really dug RJ, but I love karate kid.

forgot to mention. ended up getting pretty much all the super megaforce zord stuff (besides zeo one, not a fan).

think i'm sold on the zord builder concept (basically all ports are universal so you can stick shit wherever, down to parts from previous series post 2010 dino megazord rerelease).

gokaiger mecha were kinda disappointing in which there are always 'missing parts' in combinations, luckily you can do all kinds of crazy clusterfucks yourself with these.
2014-02-18%2000.09.57.jpg

magidragon+dekapatrolcar thing
2014-02-18%2001.34.05.jpg

2014-02-18%2001.34.26.jpg

gaolion + magidragon+ deka patrol car thing
2014-02-18%2001.40.29.jpg

gokaioh with dino megazord arms and legs

weird Wizard got ANOTHER form in the latest movie?

infinity was already the most OP rider suit that pretty much only the show boss could damage... infinity dragon decimated the movie boss...

NeonZ

weird Wizard got ANOTHER form in the latest movie?

Ever since Megamax the past Rider has always gotten a new form in their second Movie Wars appearance. Decade also got two in 2010, basically the only Movie Wars lacking one is Core, which just had W going Gold Extreme again.

infinity was already the most OP rider suit that pretty much only the show boss could damage...

To be fair, part of the problem there was Wizard's total lack of progression regarding monster of the week. The phantoms of the week of the ending of the show weren't any stronger than the ones that he faced in the beginning of the show. There weren't higher classes, evolutions or anything. They were just more random phantoms.

The way they tried so hard to make Wizard overpowered in crossovers was annoying though. Cosmic Fourze just getting beaten up in Ultimatum's final battle and using none of its abilities while Wizard Dragon basically wasn't hit, Wizard completely dominating SHW Z's final battle... It wasn't just current Rider bonus when you compare his crossover appearances to OOO's or Fourze's, who were allowed to be beaten up and need help to finish things even in crossovers that were made during their own shows.

I'm looking forward to watching Wizard getting beaten up in Kamen Rider War, since it seems like he won't be part of the main cast... too bad it probably won't be in Infinity form.

still kinda ridiculous how infinity form can tank like blade king form, yet can move as fast as probably clock up (hyper clock up maybe faster, but whens the last time they had kabuto not be a scrub post show?).

NeonZ

still kinda ridiculous how infinity form can tank like blade king form, yet can move as fast as probably clock up (hyper clock up maybe faster, but whens the last time they had kabuto not be a scrub post show?).

I think Infinity's speed is more like Diend's speed ability, which got easily trumped by AU Kabuto's Clock Up. Wizard was never invisible by moving in that form.

And Infinity only could tank attacks from the standard phantoms (which never received any kind of upgrade or boost through the show, nor there was any superior class or anything), when it faced the White Wizard and evolved Gremlin the shields were nowhere.

I think the lack of evolution of the phantoms is pretty relevant in making Wizard seem overpowered. Just look at how Kouta can easily beat the standard Invess already in Gaim. We have the Energy Riders now though, which is where the tense battles are right now. Wizard had nothing like that and just continued with more throw away phantoms until the final few episodes.

I think Infinity's speed is more like Diend's speed ability, which got easily trumped by AU Kabuto's Clock Up. Wizard was never invisible by moving in that form.

And Infinity only could tank attacks from the standard phantoms (which never received any kind of upgrade or boost through the show, nor there was any superior class or anything), when it faced the White Wizard and evolved Gremlin the shields were nowhere.

I think the lack of evolution of the phantoms is pretty relevant in making Wizard seem overpowered. Just look at how Kouta can easily beat the standard Invess already in Gaim. We have the Energy Riders now though, which is where the tense battles are right now. Wizard had nothing like that and just continued with more throw away phantoms until the final few episodes.

it is a shame, wizard still has imo the best choreographed fights, gaim is moste definitely a more interesting show to watch, but I kinda feel bad for the suit actors trying their best to move at all in those clunky ass suits.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91BoKNRb2uY

Bunch of Zyu2 stuff

Examples of edits within their own ordered footage

http://youtu.be/j96OEm2M3zU?t=2m42s
^Shown on tv

http://youtu.be/91BoKNRb2uY?t=3m58s
^Full version

Really weird that they still ended up editing shit. Also that edited scene was bugging me for the longest time. I wanted to know why the hell kimberly was on the ground all of the sudden lol

http://youtu.be/91BoKNRb2uY?t=37m42s
Man they even redid the roll call. Definitely should have used this.

http://youtu.be/91BoKNRb2uY?t=9m7s
ALRIGHT SHOUJI

Watch Da Birdie

Red's pretty cool, even if he's got a weird face. Everyone else is decent, but it's too early to tell really.

LOVED the music that played during the fight scenes, so it's got great BGM going for it.

Even the Bad Guy didn't know what the point of the Color Change was...

This stuff is pretty cool.

I really like the Dairanger mecha, and I understand why they wanted to rush them into the show to have new toys out, but I'm still really disappointed that they couldn't have put it off a couple of months to use this stuff as-is. The period with the newly commissioned footage is probably the strongest, most cohesive Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers ever got and then it has the rug pulled out from under it with the Zord change.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
This stuff is pretty cool.

I really like the Dairanger mecha, and I understand why they wanted to rush them into the show to have new toys out, but I'm still really disappointed that they couldn't have put it off a couple of months to use this stuff as-is. The period with the newly commissioned footage is probably the strongest, most cohesive Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers ever got and then it has the rug pulled out from under it with the Zord change.

On the subject of Dairanger, here's behind-the-scenes footage of the mech footage being shot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKVa1eQF3PI
Feels so surreal seeing Won Tiger/White Tigerzord in his actual size.

so zyu 2 stuff was done in japan right... well some of it was, i do feel like all the white ranger + zyuranger stuff gotta be CA.

From what I understand, all the fight footage after "Endgame" was Zyu2, it wasn't until Tommy became the White Ranger that they started doing their own work and used Dairanger's mech and giant fights.

anyone miss the early sentai/pr days where mecha fights at a decent clip? Way more fun/goofy to watch then the snorefest 'slow epic swings' of modern shows, where the only fast movements happen during bad cg moves (aka dekarobo matrix dive)

jwk94

anyone miss the early sentai/pr days where mecha fights at a decent clip? Way more fun/goofy to watch then the snorefest 'slow epic swings' of modern shows, where the only fast movements happen during bad cg moves (aka dekarobo matrix dive)

I miss when Sentai fights actually felt like they were robots. My personal favorite fights were from PRIS (can't really say Megaranger since I didn't watch that). I also miss the actual sparks and "real" effects. I despise all of this CG stuff we're getting in both KR and Sentai.

ToQ 01 was a lot of fun, kinda felt like a live action cartoon. I really like the "let's do this!" "I don't get it, but whatever" attitude of the show and hope it keeps up.

Still pretty iffy on the ToQ-oh design but I like the actual combining.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So ToQGer 1.

Wow, this clicked to me way more than Kyoryuger. I really like the aesthetics of the train interior.

Is it just me, or is ToQger sort of reusing Akibaranger's general premise? I don't mean that they're both nonsensical, either. Just that the ToQgers use the power of delusion, or IMAGINATION.

Not quite sure what to make of the first episode. I'll try a few more to get a decent idea about where the series goes from here.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
toqger is pretty good. the cast outside of pink and red are kinda meh so far, but theres plenty of room for improvement.

kinda pissed how tailor made this seems for den-o, and im curious if the tree is going to have any major signifigance

Started back into watching Power Rangers from the beginning after a huuuuuge break (like, two years since I finished Zeo? Wow, didn't think it was that long) by digging into the first five episodes of Turbo this evening. Turbo was the last series I really watched as kid though I didn't stop watching because I didn't like it, other factors simply lead to me falling off. I had the Turbo Megazord and a bunch of figures at the time and only have positive memories of it.

Honestly, I don't particularly dislike it so far. I don't really care that Tommy's off in his racecar most of the time because really, I couldn't give less of a shit about him. One of the things I learnt while revisiting the first few seasons is that Tommy is really only an interesting character once he comes back in Dino Thunder. Justin hasn't done anything in particular to bother me yet. He's a kid, but he's not really any worse a character than any of the others.

I love Turbo Megazord/RV Robo. The vehicular combat with the individual components in episode 3 pretty much entirely justifies the whole "why are the Zords cars?" thing to me, though I never really had a problem with it anyway. More of that kind of action would be nice though I don't expect to see any more since it seems to have existed solely to establish the stock footage for the Megazord formation.

Carol Hoyt is okay as Divatox but there was a bit more to Hilary Shepard Turner's voice and mannerisms that better sold the character, at least from what I can remember from the movie.

The "Bulk and Skull (I nearly typed "and Spike", damn you Samurai!) are chimps" thing is pretty stupid, but most stuff involving Bulk and Skull after the first season or so was pretty stupid anyway so whatever.

Alpha 6 sure is, uh, something.

Current impression after five episodes is that, well, it's just more of the same as late MMPR and Zeo.

tyOHPQJ.jpg

What the hell are you wearing, Kat?

The "Bulk and Skull (I nearly typed "and Spike", damn you Samurai!) are chimps" thing is pretty stupid, but most stuff involving Bulk and Skull after the first season or so was pretty stupid anyway so whatever.

This was done because they were off working on a spinoff that never got off the ground, I don't know if you knew that.

Turbo was a weird season that had a lot to do with trying to come up with new ideas and production things more than anything else.

I miss when Sentai fights actually felt like they were robots. My personal favorite fights were from PRIS (can't really say Megaranger since I didn't watch that). I also miss the actual sparks and "real" effects. I despise all of this CG stuff we're getting in both KR and Sentai.

Still remember the one fight where the space megazord is kicking the nuts of some lobster monster lol.

So has there ever been a breakdown why go-busters bombed so bad? Is it purely due to way less gimmicks and merchandise potential and what not vs other recent series?

NeonZ

Still remember the one fight where the space megazord is kicking the nuts of some lobster monster lol.

So has there ever been a breakdown why go-busters bombed so bad? Is it purely due to way less gimmicks and merchandise potential and what not vs other recent series?

It's not just collectibles. As far as roleplaying toys and such goes, aside from collectibles, Go-Busters had as many as other shows. However, the individual pieces just didn't sell well.

The Go-Buster Ace itself, for example, sold significantly worse than the main robots of other shows, and that was actually one of the best selling parts of the Go-Busters toyline. It's clear that the transformation gimmick for the robots just didn't sell as well as the usual "multiple components with combination" package for the main robot. (The Go-Buster Ace was sold by itself, with the two other robots in a separate package, rather than the usual "all components in one set").

The gadgets and such likely were killed by the existence of cheap smartphones, even in the hands of children, making the toys seem bulky and outdated.

Ratings-wise, it did slightly worse with children than Kyoryuger, but the difference wasn't big. So, the culprit is mainly the toys designs themselves.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
It's not just collectibles. As far as roleplaying toys and such goes, aside from collectibles, Go-Busters had as many as other shows. However, the individual pieces just didn't sell well.

The Go-Buster Ace itself, for example, sold significantly worse than the main robots of other shows, and that was actually one of the best selling parts of the Go-Busters toyline. It's clear that the transformation gimmick for the robots just didn't sell as well as the usual "multiple components with combination" package for the main robot. (The Go-Buster Ace was sold by itself, with the two other robots in a separate package, rather than the usual "all components in one set").

The gadgets and such likely were killed by the existence of cheap smartphones, even in the hands of children, making the toys seem bulky and outdated.

Ratings-wise, it did slightly worse with children than Kyoryuger, but the difference wasn't big. So, the culprit is mainly the toys designs themselves.

so much like yj,and gl. deemed poorly due to shit toy sales.

Top Bottom