• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

vareon

Kind of an interesting story:

http://jin115.com/archives/52036747.html

Fans figured out who Drive's suit actor is by looking at the way he poses his hand when standing straight. Not that it's a surprise, it's been the same guy for years, but kinda funny he has a tell like that.

Takaiwa is really noticeable these days. Aside from his hand, he has a tendency to put weight on his right shoulder forward. Try seeing the main Riders walk forward slowly and you'll recognize his steps, too (as you can recognize your friend's steps).

This is why part of me wants a change in suit actor for the main Rider, but Takaiwa's really got talent for this so I don't mind anyway.

WarRock

One of the reasons I liked Akibarangers and the Fourze netmovies: the suit actors features. Great stuff!

Oh, and Blue Blazes is great.

kASltp5.jpg

zHLPaZk.jpg
(that's a young Hideki Anno portraying a suffering Ultraman after he missed Castle of Cagliostro)

Deneb was the best character. Who was his suit actor?

Yoshifumi Oshikawa. Gills, Zolda, Delta, Garren, Drake, Go-On Blue, Gosei Black, Gokai Blue, Red Buster, Kyuryu Red, and ToQ1.

Basically, he was background and since Go-busters he's taken up a Takaiwa-like place as "the Red".

KingDirk

Yoshifumi Oshikawa. Gills, Zolda, Delta, Garren, Drake, Go-On Blue, Gosei Black, Gokai Blue, Red Buster, Kyuryu Red, and ToQ1.

Basically, he was background and since Go-busters he's taken up a Takaiwa-like place as "the Red".

Thank you kindly. Seems like a nice promotion for the fellow.

I'm so curious as to how they figure out the identifying motions and transfer them from one to another. Fourze's 'hair slick' in costume was so good.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Power Rangers in 2016. Pacific Rim 2 in 2017. Godzilla 2 in 2018.
Is this the beginning of the Western Toku movement?

javadoze

Power Rangers in 2016. Pacific Rim 2 in 2017. Godzilla 2 in 2018.
Is this the beginning of the Western Toku movement?

Combined with the news of Zyuranger and the Kikaider Reboot movie coming over in DVD, there might be some hope.

All there needs to be left is a Kamen Rider adaptation for people to complain about. Or rather "Kay Man Rider".

EDIT: Also, new Power Rangers Dino Charge Interview with Judd Lynn. While a very shallow interview, at least he's no Jonathan Tzachor.

2ch rumours. Grain of salt and all that.

*Sept 28 episode of Gaim will be AU Gaim x Drive crossover.
*Gaim x Drive movie for December.
*Blade and Faiz DVD movies next year.
*Keisuke Jin (Kamen Rider X) in the Faiz movie.

NeonZ

2ch rumours. Grain of salt and all that.

*Sept 28 episode of Gaim will be AU Gaim x Drive crossover.

Technically, the original rumor just calls it "Another Story", so it's left very ambiguous.
Also, it just says that Drive will appear there, not that it's a Gaim x Drive crossover, so, even if real, it sounds like it'd be something like Gaim's appearance in Wizard's last two episodes, rather than it being the focus of the episode.

Either way, even if that rumor is false, considering how many tie in episodes Gaim has had throughout, and the lack of movie cameo, I'll be surprised if there isn't a Drive tie in episode at the end.

Technically, the original rumor just calls it "Another Story", so it's left very ambiguous.
Also, it just says that Drive will appear there, not that it's a Gaim x Drive crossover, so, even if real, it sounds like it'd be something like Gaim's appearance in Wizard's last two episodes, rather than it being the focus of the episode.

Either way, even if that rumor is false, considering how many tie in episodes Gaim has had throughout, and the lack of movie cameo, I'll be surprised if there isn't a Drive tie in episode at the end.
"Another Story" reads as a Decade style alternate universe thing to me. Though it could be like the Wizard 2-parter or the Gaim Soccer movie. I really hope that Blade / Faiz V Cinema rumour is true; particularly Faiz. I'd even be fine with Inoue writing the Faiz movie - it could be an adaptation of Grotesque Flowers for all I care.

KingDirk

So my Kuuga watchthrough is going super-slowly because of wedding planning and my fiancee being less-than-keen on it. I think the pacing is a major part of that--is Agito's pace improved? She has a G3 figuarts from our local comic book shop, so that might also hook her a bit more. All you people talking about Blade and Faiz are making me consider just reeeally skipping around too.

NeonZ

"Another Story" reads as a Decade style alternate universe thing to me. Though it could be like the Wizard 2-parter or the Gaim Soccer movie. I really hope that Blade / Faiz V Cinema rumour is true; particularly Faiz. I'd even be fine with Inoue writing the Faiz movie - it could be an adaptation of Grotesque Flowers for all I care.

Well, the "Another Story" is in English itself in the original post, it's not a translation. Considering how freely they use English words in Japan, it's even hard to guess what it'd be meant to be. it'd have only one episode though, doesn't seem enough time to establish an AU, have a conflict and do a crossover.

Regarding the possible V-Cinema, I'd guess that Faiz's at least would be written by Yonemura, considering how it mentions Jin Keisuke/X being there.

Either way, this rumor doesn't come from any proven reliable source, so I wouldn't put much thought into it. However, apparently the Kamen Rider Taisen Blu-Ray is selling very well, so new Rider V Cinemas aren't that doubtful at this point either.

I think the pacing is a major part of that--is Agito's pace improved? She has a G3 figuarts from our local comic book shop, so that might also hook her a bit more. All you people talking about Blade and Faiz are making me consider just reeeally skipping around too.

Yes, Agito's pacing is improved compared to Kuuga's. There are more characters and more things happen, and the only part that's slow is the main mystery behind the show, but that's not the sole plot there, unlike in Kuuga. It still has about the same amount of fighting scenes compared to Kuuga though, that only starts increasing back to two battles per episodes by the time of Kabuto.

Zynx

Hey, with a few movie DVD releases coming, let's talk about our favorite Rider movies.

The Kabuto movie, God Speed Love is definitely my favorite. It ties into the main series (better than the last third of the series itself!), has an interesting premise, shows the series characters in a new light, and even has a little intrigue and mystery. The ending makes me pretty wistful, too.

I also like Faiz movie, Paradise Lost. It starts off with a world where Orpenochs already control most of the world and humans form a resistance group, and shows us what happens from there.

WillyFive

The last 15 minutes of God Speed Love are probably the best moments on a Rider film ever; but I didn't think anything that came before it was really any good.

Den-O Warship and Megamax are my favorite Rider movies. The Fourze movie and the thee W Sakamoto movies are also excellent.

KingDirk

I've not seen all that many, but Fourze's was good fun, the W sections of the Movie Wars were fantastic (Skull could have been an entire series unto itself), and I will second the praise for God Speed Love. It's crazy how much better constructed it was compared to the last third of Kabuto.

I also kind of love the Den-O, OOO, All Riders movie, even when it's just complete nonsense.

javadoze

Probably Gaia Memories A to Z and Everybody's Space Time. God Speed Love is pretty entertaining though (why did they play "God Bless America" near the ending?).

There are a surprising number of these movies that I have enjoyed.

Agito: Project G4
Ryuki: Episode Final
Faiz: Paradise Lost
Kabuto: God Speed Love
Den-O Warship
Cho Den-O Red
W Forever
Movie War 2010
Megamax
Accel Returns
Fourze: Space Is Here
Gaim X Wizard

WarRock

The last 15 minutes of God Speed Love are probably the best moments on a Rider film ever; but I didn't think anything that came before it was really any good.

More or less agree with this. God Speed Love had some good scenes at the end but that's it.

All of the Fourze movies are pretty much the best the franchise offered so far IMO - but there are a lot of movies I didn't watch. Mainly G4 and Den-O's.

Gaia Memories A to Z is probably my favorite. God Speed Love had a decent ending fight, Missing Ace was fun, and Faiz had a good scene the middle.

I could take or leave the rest. Big fan of movie Riders though.

Zynx

^Yah, turns out that putting little development effort into something does turn out a shite product.

Anyways, I've been trying to figure out if the opening scene of Gaim is still coming in the future, and trying to see how not-Mai ties into the plot, and have come up with a possible sequence of events (this speculation is without the benefit of preview spoilers).

First, the how and why of Mai becoming an overlord. Right now she's with Roshuo, who's going to judge her intent, after Micchy leaves her with him, saying she's a good example of humanity. Sagara's also just made her understand that Kouta will sacrifice himself for the good of humanity, and she doesn't like that. Maybe she'll try to bear some of the burden herself? I still don't think it's guaranteed that Kouta will end up with the fruit.

As for the opening scene of the Gaim vs Baron fight, in the presence of not-Mai (and Ryugen/Zangetsu watching). With Takatora gone, it seems like it might not happen, which would be disappointing to me, but there still are some things that seem to support it as a possible future event. Rushuo seems to have obtained his fruit from a girl of his original, and maybe it's part of the process that Mai has to hand off the fruit to humanity's champion? I'm still super curious as to how everything is going to tie together in the end. So far I've been really impressed and happy at how much better Gaim is than other recent Rider series at tying loose ends, but this seems pretty tough to wrangle.

Yep, still not regretting not buying BW2. The difference between the customer ratings for BW1 and the ratings for BW2 says it all, really.

It's not a bad game at all, its just that there's so little added compared to the first one, and when you have that plus a price difference, you know?

If we wait a little bit and the prices of both games even out, I'd say there's no reason not to get the second game...but by the time that happens it'll already be outdated because Drive will be the new hotness.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The best Rider movie is "Farewell Den-O".

It's the last one with Ryoutaro, of course, but there's an amazing scene at the end that's one long-shot. Momotaros is getting the shit kicked out of him trying to taunt the enemy who has taken over Ryoutaro, and it's probably one of the most powerful scenes in all of Rider for me.

The Kiva Movie is also pretty great, I wish they used the plot from it in the main series.

I actually enjoyed Showa vs. Hesei, especially the beginning "Getting the Band Back Together" part where we got to see Shoutaro and Takumi. The ending was pretty stupid though...I really felt the Showa Riders came across as huge assholes for no reason and I still don't get what their issue was.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It's not a bad game at all, its just that there's so little added compared to the first one, and when you have that plus a price difference, you know?

If we wait a little bit and the prices of both games even out, I'd say there's no reason not to get the second game...but by the time that happens it'll already be outdated because Drive will be the new hotness.

Oh, I absolutely agree. If BW1 didn't exist, and BW2 was the first game in the series, we'd all be talking about how it's the best Rider game ever, I'm sure.

NeonZ

I really felt the Showa Riders came across as huge assholes for no reason and I still don't get what their issue was.

I think the idea is that the Heisei Riders were too wishy washy and didn't put enough strength and effort to back their kindness, so they wouldn't be able to protect things.

In the Heisei ending,
the Showa Riders are shown to be plainly wrong about that, which does make their attitude seem assholish.
In the Showa ending though,
it's specifically pointed out that they weren't fighting for real, not counter attacking and such, and wanted to draw out the real power of the Heisei Riders. When Kouta learns what's true strength from the fighting (the same definition said by Hongo in the Heisei ending, a kind strength), Hongo is glad that he noticed it and praises him.

WarRock

I actually enjoyed Showa vs. Hesei, especially the beginning "Getting the Band Back Together" part where we got to see Shoutaro and Takumi. The ending was pretty stupid though...I really felt the Showa Riders came across as huge assholes for no reason and I still don't get what their issue was.
I... completely forgot about this movie. And by that mean, I'm not sure if I've watched it or not.

BatDan

Super Megaforce teaser for remaining epsiodes

What's shown:
Brajil the Messiah, or Vrak in his "true form". Or Angel form. It will be interesting what explanation they'll use.
Noah vs Argus, including a remake of the shot where Joe's Gokai suit gets disintegrated.
Troy doing Alata's Falcon Punch to restore Gosei Knight/Robo Knight to normal.

LostAnkh

Yep, still not regretting not buying BW2. The difference between the customer ratings for BW1 and the ratings for BW2 says it all, really.
It's not just the customer reviews, but what they've shown to us is lacking in several areas. They aren't getting a cookie this time for their lack of effort.

^Yah, turns out that putting little development effort into something does turn out a shite product.

Anyways, I've been trying to figure out if the opening scene of Gaim is still coming in the future, and trying to see how not-Mai ties into the plot, and have come up with a possible sequence of events (this speculation is without the benefit of preview spoilers).

First, the how and why of Mai becoming an overlord. Right now she's with Roshuo, who's going to judge her intent, after Micchy leaves her with him, saying she's a good example of humanity. Sagara's also just made her understand that Kouta will sacrifice himself for the good of humanity, and she doesn't like that. Maybe she'll try to bear some of the burden herself? I still don't think it's guaranteed that Kouta will end up with the fruit.

As for the opening scene of the Gaim vs Baron fight, in the presence of not-Mai (and Ryugen/Zangetsu watching). With Takatora gone, it seems like it might not happen, which would be disappointing to me, but there still are some things that seem to support it as a possible future event. Rushuo seems to have obtained his fruit from a girl of his original, and maybe it's part of the process that Mai has to hand off the fruit to humanity's champion? I'm still super curious as to how everything is going to tie together in the end. So far I've been really impressed and happy at how much better Gaim is than other recent Rider series at tying loose ends, but this seems pretty tough to wrangle.
I'd be in despair if
Takatora is confirmed dead, because I mean, the Zangetsu suit is already gone
. And the thing about that opening scene, is that it just set the tone of the series and isn't like Decade at all, where they just copy and pasted the opening scene in the final episode.

vareon

So, Kamen Rider Wars.

Might be an unpopular opinion that I enjoyed it quite a lot. Either my bar has gotten really low regaring these Wars movie series or the movie did a bit better in making up stories.

The movie wasn't a complete mess (still a mess) but you can easily pinpoint which stuff is shoehorned (Gaim Rider's fight, for one, and obviously the Sentai). It does a good job in paying homage to old riders. Takumi can't drink hot, for example, and he has to go grab his entire belt before transforming while Jin gets away with his belt suddenly reappearing in another cut. Tsukasa's stuff is also good as nobody is taking him and Narutaki seriously anymore.

Ending is stupid, and there's nothing else I can say about it. There is one neat touch though, when Hongo transforms for the last time, he went from the old colors to Shin #1's colors.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Gaimmmmmmm

How many episodes do we have left? 3? 4? Assuming there will be two gaiden eps at the end with Drive.

Man I hope Drive doesn't suck :/

NeonZ

How many episodes do we have left? 3? 4? Assuming there will be two gaiden eps at the end with Drive.

6 episodes in total, then down to 4 or 5 if we get some kind of crossover or Drive tie in episode at the end. They could easily get away with adding Drive to an episode just by showing him fighting Invess elsewhere though... But we likely will get a pointless tie in episode if they decide to make an early debut for him. I don't think it'd be a two part episode though. None of Gaim's other tie ins were, aside from the Toqger one, but that also took one Toqger episode, rather than two from Gaim.

Is KRW subbed yet?

Yes, but not by any of the groups subbing Gaim or Toqger though.

BatDan

My wallet!

Hero Portal

Actually..I'll pass. This shit looks cheap as hell.

Ew, really don't like how those figures look.

I guess this is what we'll get while Japan gets the Kaman Rider game. It's not even on a video game console, it's a cheap plug-n-play game.

WillyFive

Just like SHTZ, Showa vs Heisei had a lot of cool parts in it (or, at least parts that would have been good if the movie had good directing, writing, and choreography), but the movie overall is just poor. The older Riders coming back was great, and they did have interesting parts in them; but it was rarely compelling. Add that to the pedestrian fight scenes, horrible voice replacements, nonsense continuity, and really slow pace; it makes me wish yet again that different people were in charge of this movie series.

Ever since the original Gokaiger vs. Decade SHT, this series seemed to me that it should have been helmed by Sakamoto; he's one guy that can make all kinds of different character's fight scenes justice (in fact, his portrayal of the Showa Riders in Megamax was immensely superior to those in here, even without their original actors recreating their original henshin sequences). And of course, alongside Sakamoto, Riku Sanjo should have been in charge of any Kamen Rider crossovers; his Double-verse was at the very least promising and straightforward, but the decision to go back to the incomprehensible nonsensical Decade universe (or even worse, a weird mix of original Heisei and Decade). Not only that, the Den-O and ToQ crossover scene made me wish that's what the entire movie was about.

However, I'll give credit to the writer having some degree of self-awareness, like mentioning how Decade was "the one nobody liked". And of course, Imagination Station did an excellent job.

NeonZ

Just like SHTZ, Showa vs Heisei had a lot of cool parts in it (or, at least parts that would have been good if the movie had good directing, writing, and choreography), but the movie overall is just poor. The older Riders coming back was great, and they did have interesting parts in them; but it was rarely compelling. Add that to the pedestrian fight scenes, horrible voice replacements, nonsense continuity, and really slow pace; it makes me wish yet again that different people were in charge of this movie series.

I just can't see how you can compare this to SHTZ and fail to notice the immensely improved directing and fights Shibasaki had here compared to Kaneda's in the previous movies. Past heroes actually use special attacks in battles fairly often, and they're actually updated with modern effects too. Screen time is used to actually show the heroes fighting, rather than just standing around with music beats attempting to make it seem a big event while nothing happens...

The action and effects weren't just poor and lazy attempts to recreate old effects, but often new ideas that manage to complete fit in. Rider 1's transformation before the final battle represents a lot of what I enjoyed of Shibasaki's directing choices here. He wasn't just recreating old stuff. The recreation of Rider 1's transformation was in the beginning of the movie, while the one at the end, aside from the poses, was completely original - while at the same time homaging various aspects of his history, from the scars that Hongo had in the Ishinomori manga to the original suit from the tv show briefly being shown before Rider 1 powers up completely into his final design. Similar ideas can also be seen in various other elements through the movie, like Stronger's Electro Fire in his battle against Kabuto being a wave rather than just a straight line, Riderman using his Machinegun Arm for the first time or X's updated X-Kick, which seemed even better than the Megamax version to me. Even Gaim uses the closed lockseeds in new ways that were never shown on tv, but just work when you look at them on screen here.

Even if you dislike the story, I just can't see how you can put the action and direction here on the same level as the SHT movies. Now, it's true that that doesn't apply to everyone. Riders like Kuuga, Ryuki and Blade only had fairly mediocre appearances - not showing up before the final battles, and there only performing standard finishers without any new flair, but even that's a step up from the previous SHT movies where often there were characters that got to do nothing besides appearing as suits punching grunts in the background.

And of course, alongside Sakamoto, Riku Sanjo should have been in charge of any Kamen Rider crossovers; his Double-verse was at the very least promising and straightforward, but the decision to go back to the incomprehensible nonsensical Decade universe (or even worse, a weird mix of original Heisei and Decade).

There was never a "Riku Sanjo's Double-verse". The W->Fourze continuity was driven by the producer, Tsukada, which is why it continued into Fourze in the first place, in spite of Sanjo only being a secondary writer there. Fourze itself also included the Showa Riders and Heisei Riders there though, by giving them cameos in its second episode, and later the Showa Riders' appearance in Megamax. However, Tsukada left the franchise to helm a non-toku show, and it pretty much killed that for now.

And these movies have little to do with "continuing the Decade verse". In spite of Decade having a big role in the first SHT and now KRT, the world in these crossover movies has nothing to do with the AU worlds Decade visited in his own show. They even avoid mentioning alternate worlds explicitly, like how the info books for Super Hero Taisen mention that Riders and Super Sentai are from different worlds, and you can even see dimensional walls being crossed, but they never mention the different worlds explicitly on screen after Narutaki's introduction to the Go-Busters.

Is it at least on par with All Riders? 'Cause that was the good kind of bad.

At least to me, Kamen Rider Taisen is much better than All Riders vs Dai-Shocker.

Well, thinking about it, the only Rider that really got a better representation in All Riders was Black RX, since he got to use his multiple forms there and had his original actor voicing him. He still has one big scene here though, but it's a team up, not solo battle, and with a replacement voice actor.

Top Bottom