• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

NeonZ

How was the Wizard x Gaim crossover? I'm assuming that we shouldn't expect much from a crossover episode. For the most part, the crossovers this season have felt pretty forced and out of place.

If you mean the tv episodes, I really wouldn't describe them as "Wizard x Gaim".

KamenRiderWizard_ep53_14_zps4500c10d.jpg

They were written by Sho Aikawa, main writer of Blade's second half and Decade's first 13 episodes. It ended up basically like two new Decade episodes, taking place in what initially seems to be an AU Wizard world, but starring Haruto from the actual Wizard tv series, who is taken to that world. It took place after the Wizard finale, and even references what Haruto had just gone through, but Wizard's main plot itself had already ended, so this is a completely separate menace, and the only connection between Wizard and the final villain was that the villain was a wizard too. They also used these episodes to set up Wizard lacking Infinity in his own part of Sengoku Movie Battle (which was a more direct follow up to the tv show's plot).

The first episode had some obviously low budget parts, like form changes happening off screen and some odd effects, although there were still some nice segments too, but the second part looked much better and had some of Wizard's best action. Tsukasa himself has a big role in the second episode too.

All other Heisei Riders appear and all of them even get lines, but they're all suit-only with replacement voice actors. It was probably the best crossover for the pre-Decade Heisei Riders so far though, since it's the only one where there's some attempt at interaction and characterization for even the suit-only characters, even if obviously brief. Even comparing to Kamen Rider Taisen, which also gave lines to suit-only Rider, the Wizard episodes had much clearer interactions and attempts at characterization, like Blade being startled by Fourze's "space!" cry during battle, Kabuto and Faiz being considered jerks by Haruto, Agito telling Decade to ask next time he attempts to use a Final Form Ride on him, etc.

Obviously, it doesn't stand out much for W-Fourze though, since they've got actual crossovers where they were the focus and had their actors, but for the Riders that only appear as suits, this was the best one. Anyway, like I said, calling it "Wizard x Gaim" is really misleading. Gaim appears twice, at the end of both episodes, and you even get Kouta out of suit too both times, but he doesn't stick around as part of the main cast and is even absent from most of the fighting, although Gaim does get two fighting scenes almost completely to himself and he's also the deciding factor in the villain's defeat.

I expect something similar for Drive here. He likely will get a big debut scene near the ending of episode 47, but I doubt the episode will actually focus on a Gaim x Drive crossover.

If you mean the tv episodes, I really wouldn't describe them as "Wizard x Gaim".

KamenRiderWizard_ep53_14_zps4500c10d.jpg

They were written by Sho Aikawa, main writer of Blade's second half and Decade's first 13 episodes. It ended up basically like two new Decade episodes, taking place in what initially seems to be an AU Wizard world, but starring Haruto from the actual Wizard tv series, who is taken to that world. It took place after the Wizard finale, and even references what Haruto had just gone through, but Wizard's main plot itself had already ended, so this is a completely separate menace, and the only connection between Wizard and the final villain was that the villain was a wizard too. They also used these episodes to set up Wizard lacking Infinity in his own part of Sengoku Movie Battle (which was a more direct follow up to the tv show's plot).

The first episode had some obviously low budget parts, like form changes happening off screen and some odd effects, although there were still some nice segments too, but the second part looked much better and had some of Wizard's best action. Tsukasa himself has a big role in the second episode too.

All other Heisei Riders appear and all of them even get lines, but they're all suit-only with replacement voice actors. It was probably the best crossover for the pre-Decade Heisei Riders so far though, since it's the only one where there's some attempt at interaction and characterization for even the suit-only characters, even if obviously brief. Even comparing to Kamen Rider Taisen, which also gave lines to suit-only Rider, the Wizard episodes had much clearer interactions and attempts at characterization, like Blade being startled by Fourze's "space!" cry during battle, Kabuto and Faiz being considered jerks by Haruto, Agito telling Decade to ask next time he attempts to use a Final Form Ride on him, etc.

Obviously, it doesn't stand out much for W-Fourze though, since they've got actual crossovers where they were the focus and had their actors, but for the Riders that only appear as suits, this was the best one. Anyway, like I said, calling it "Wizard x Gaim" is really misleading. Gaim appears twice, at the end of both episodes, and you even get Kouta out of suit too both times, but he doesn't stick around as part of the main cast and is even absent from most of the fighting, although Gaim does get two fighting scenes almost completely to himself and he's also the deciding factor in the villain's defeat.

I expect something similar for Drive here. He likely will get a big debut scene near the ending of episode 47, but I doubt the episode will actually focus on a Gaim x Drive crossover.

Those last two episodes of Wizard were the best Heisei Rider crossover so far.

vareon

Wizard crossover was really enjoyable because it doesn't take itself really seriously. Bunch of Riders getting into action, without all the drag of Movie Wars.

Next year is 2015 and Hibiki's 10th year anniversary. I wonder if he'll get any treatment, but probably not.

javadoze

So Drive is going to be revealed next week? (I honestly don't want Gaim to end, but the tight lid on Drive details is making me curious.)

I wonder if Drive has two years of pre-production like Double and Gaim?

Thanks for the very detailed explanation! It sounds like if and when I finally tackle Wizard I'll actually have something to look forward to at the end. I appreciate whenever the older Riders get some form of characterization since I'm not as familiar with them quite yet. (Also helps me narrow down which earlier shows to watch first if one interests me.) So the assumption for the last Gaim episode, if they go along the same lines, would be a general AU episode with a dabble of Drive?

KingDirk

The "Another Story" at the end of Wizard was, like the Wizard section of the crossover movie, much better than most of the show proper. It makes a pretty good argument about what makes Kamen Riders special, isn't too self-important, and Haruto's motivations are better conveyed than what was unfortunately the norm.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Both Gaim movies so far have been alt world dumbness, is it really going to make a difference to movie-goers if the Drive x Gaim movie is all alt world?

What if the movie leads up to the scene in the first episode of Gaim but instead of being on a horse Gaim's inside of Drive's car?

javadoze

Both Gaim movies so far have been alt world dumbness, is it really going to make a difference to movie-goers if the Drive x Gaim movie is all alt world?

Pretty much depends how the series ends. If there's no loose ends by the finale, I don't think anyone would care if the movie is just a fanservice/alt-world romp that's just an excuse to see the characters again.

(With that said, I hope Kiwami/Zenith Arms doesn't make an appearance like how PuToTyra doesn't show up in Megamax.)

NeonZ

Well, those movies still make clear that Kouta, and some others at times, are still the same ones as in their own tv shows, even if most of the screentime is spent in another world.

Its been years since Toei has actually done AU movies without any connection to the tv shows, I don't see why people expect them to suddenly return to it. I'm pretty sure there was a similar discussion here about the summer movie, and yet it still ended up tied to the tv show, in spite of taking place in an AU (Not only with Kouta himself, but the backstories of the gold and silver Riders are tied to the real Helheim, not the movie's world).

Also, I do think it'd make a big difference. By making it AU Gaim, it'd lose the whole "the last story with the characters from the last show!" appeal. Even OOO had an in continuity post-series movie, and OOO's movies during the show itself were a mess. Gaim's, if nothing else, are much more coordinated with what the tv show is doing. I don't see them suddenly changing things to an AU, when it'd be much easier to write an in continuity post-series movie, since there's no tv production going on in parallel.

WillyFive

Urgh I forgot how crappy blip is.

I also find it wired that I like looking up information about Power Ranger/Super Sentai but I can't stand watching the show. ¬_¬;

Linkara is good for summarizing the shows, but he does have a tendency to get some facts wrong, since he seems to get a lot of his information second hand from places like Rangerboard, and refuses to watch Sentai; which ends up on a lot of comically cringeworthy moments where he is confused and rants about something that is obviously a leftover from the Sentai footage.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Linkara is good for summarizing the shows, but he does have a tendency to get some facts wrong, since he seems to get a lot of his information second hand from places like Rangerboard, and refuses to watch Sentai; which ends up on a lot of comically cringeworthy moments where he is confused and rants about something that is obviously a leftover from the Sentai footage.

His Samurai video is going to be tough to watch considering it's a shot-for-shot remake of Shinkenger, to the point that they legally had to give Kobayashi a writing credit at the beginning of every episode. There's only so much fan-wanking one can do for that one...

Mr-Joker

Banned

Yeah, the whole thing was him non-stop complaining, over thinking and getting worked up over a children show. Also him refusing to research on Sentai information is well dumb since the show was originally written for Japanese audience before rewriting it for western market so not everything is going to make sense.

This was partly why I stop watching Linkara and refuse to accept him as a reviewer/Critic, despite him believing that he is.

BatDan

The episodes where he likes the season aren't so complain-y.

But he really does need to look into the Sentai.

Legendary battle footage.

Check out @jdfffn's Tweet: https://twitter.com/jdfffn/status/502546000784138242

Tommy's a god

Can't grab the Facebook link right now.

Full version
I see they did the "mask over the face" thing Gokaiger did, and for some reason he got White Ranger instead of Green. I guess since he was holding Saba in the clip. Weird how he got the face thing but Jayden and Casey didn't. What's consistency?

javadoze

For some reason, he really doesn't care for Sentai. Maybe he just wants to judge Power Rangers on its own merits rather than as an adaptation or something lesser altogether?

With that said, I think its funny how Tommy is just conveniently carrying around his Tiger Saber.

BatDan

For some reason, he really doesn't care for Sentai. Maybe he just wants to judge Power Rangers on its own merits rather than as an adaptation or something lesser altogether?

With that said, I think its funny how Tommy is just conveniently carrying around his Tiger Saber.

I believe that's his intent. Focus solely on the work alone. Like when someone reviews a movie, and if it's based on a book they make sure to mention that the book shouldn't matter and the movie must stand on its own.

javadoze

Some more Drive rumors.

It seems Drive will feature a law-enforcement organization that will feature a policewoman as part of the cast. This will also supposedly reflect on the belt sounds as well.

Pleeeeeease let the policemen be as competent as in Kuuga. Ichijo and co were pretty refreshing characters considering the police in Wizard (seriously, Rinko acted like Shunpei's mom 95% of the time)...

How was the Wizard x Gaim crossover?

Tsukasalicious

fXd7jDU.gif

I hope Decade is in the final episode again. :p

The only way I'll accept wasting more Gaim time with another crossover.

I believe that's his intent. Focus solely on the work alone. Like when someone reviews a movie, and if it's based on a book they make sure to mention that the book shouldn't matter and the movie must stand on its own.

The thing is, sometimes something comes up and he'll be all like "why did they do that?" and the answer is "because they had to work around x Sentai thing" but because he doesn't want to acknowledge the Sentai his videos come off as less informative than they could be. He doesn't have to like watch the full thing and compare and contrast the whole way through, but even some surface level research would allow him to understand and explain certain creative directions and decisions Power Rangers takes.

BatDan

The thing is, sometimes something comes up and he'll be all like "why did they do that?" and the answer is "because they had to work around x Sentai thing" but because he doesn't want to acknowledge the Sentai his videos come off as less informative than they could be. He doesn't have to like watch the full thing and compare and contrast the whole way through, but even some surface level research would allow him to understand and explain certain creative directions and decisions Power Rangers takes.

Yeah, this is true as well.
If he plans to cover Samurai and Megaforce, he's going to have to do research and can no longer rely on headcanon and fan-wanking. Especially with "New Powers", "Blitz" and "Didn't see that coming"

javadoze

Yeah, this is true as well.
If he plans to cover Samurai and Megaforce, he's going to have to do research and can no longer rely on headcanon and fan-wanking. Especially with "New Powers", "Blitz" and "Didn't see that coming"

It's been explained that there are many Power Ranger teams fighting for generations, across the universe, and etc. The problem with the "never-before seen powers" is more about the fact that they were introduced so lazily in the show that they come across as a WTF moment people otherwise uninformed about Sentai. Again, this is looping back to Linkara treating Power Rangers standing as its own thing.

vareon

During Turbo, he kept saying "why cars!? zeo has cooler abstract powers!" while we know the only reason is because they had to adapt Carrangers. While I agree PR should be judged by its own merits, complaining about themes or suits isn't critical. What are they going to do about it anyway?

Linkara's videos were awesome until Lost Galaxy, then it sounds like reading someone's forum post. It still has value, of course, but just different.

Some more Drive rumors.

It seems Drive will feature a law-enforcement organization that will feature a policewoman as part of the cast. This will also supposedly reflect on the belt sounds as well.

Pleeeeeease let the policemen be as competent as in Kuuga. Ichijo and co were pretty refreshing characters considering the police in Wizard (seriously, Rinko acted like Shunpei's mom 95% of the time)...

If we got Kuuga levels of competency among cops in any Toku again I would think I died and went to heaven.

WarRock

I'll echo the compliments on the Wizard x Decade crossover episodes, and I'll add that every Heisei show ending with one or two episodes in that style would be a nice thing, both for the series as a whole and Decade.

WillyFive

I noticed this about his Mystic Force video; but with History of Operation Overdrive I realized a truthful fact, Linkara has become insufferable. His little fanfiction of making the universe tie together was cute at first, but trying to add it in shows that obviously have no intention of adding it is just annoying. His long rants are still here, where he spends a long amount of time talking and (poorly) trying to explain about his lame opinions ("I don't like Mercury Ranger's outfit because he's chrome like the shoulder pads of the other Rangers and his shoulder pads are purple even though they're kinda metallic blue but I see them as purple, also he has red emergency lights in his shoulder pads"....reminds me of the crybabies complaining that Fourze looked like a rocket.). Heck, I think his section on Once A Ranger was half as long as the two-parter itself. It's just not fun to watch; and you'd think a video mocking the worst season of Power Rangers would be.

Anyway, kinda related; the Boukenger vs. Super Sentai henshin is underlooked in how detailed it is despite being really short.

ibkQLZXljU0nlg.gif

Say what you like about Kamen Rider Decade as a show, but Tsukasa is a pretty entertaining character.

I love scenes that subtly break the 4th wall like this. Time of the Doctor from Doctor Who had a scene like this as well with the exact same "I don't get it" punchline; and it just cracked me up.

shaowebb

Has anyone subbed the Showa vs Heisei movie yet? I've seen parts of the Raw floating around, but nothing of the actual sub. I'm needing to see both it and the Decade crossover.

Also even though I feel Decade fell short as a show he's one of my favorite Riders. He's really entertaining as a character to throw around and he creates a lot of conflict.

shaowebb

Over-Time passed, last I saw Aesir were still "we need to watch it and decide first", but Imagination Station have done a release.

Wow so many not doin it...was it bad or something? Also what in the flying hell is Dynasaur Squad Abaranger? Every time I've been to imagination station I see it and it looks messed up.

5VYtCJW.jpg

Bikkun

Neo Member
Wow so many not doin it...was it bad or something? Also what in the flying hell is Dynasaur Squad Abaranger? Every time I've been to imagination station I see it and it looks messed up.

5VYtCJW.jpg

It is both surprisingly melancholic and surprisingly cracky. It's really case by case. I would highly suggest watching it yourself and giving it a fair shake. The whole reason my partner and I are subbing it is because it's just so damn good.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Some more Drive rumors.

When I saw this rumor posted on /m/ they also posted the supposed actress.

She looked like, 14. So I imagine she'll just be there to look cute unfortunately.

Synopses for the final 5 Gaim episodes are available. The final episode seems more like an epilogue, but it could still have a crossover with Drive.

Link1110

Watching the new HOPR. All the spoilers below are for Boukenger, the Sentai counterpart, though I may remember some wrong since I last watched that when I was first getting into toku back in 2009.

I'm interested to see why OO is so bad, since I thought Boukenger was OK, not top tier but not bad.

- Dax? I expected more Star Trek jokes about that name.

- LOL at Linkara rolling his eyes at the shovel thing putting dirt on a monster when ToQGER just used a robot to dig out the trains a few weeks ago.

- LOL at Dax being an idiot with that girl.

- Am I remembering wrong? I thought the
dragon guy enhanced the questers
in Boukenger. Weird change if my memory is right.

- You know, I can see Bouken Silver looking like The Blue Centurion/Signalman now that he said it. That's insane!

- So the sixth ranger has police cars and a fire engine making up his robot? This IS ToQGER, isn't it?

- OO was an anniversary as well?

- (Zyuranger spoiler)
Did Rita have a son in MMPR, or was the ending changed enough to write Kai out completely?

- Zedd is clearly not human, maybe his race ages faster than humans, so the time thing can match up?

- Were the factions fighting each other over anything more specific than world domination in Boukenger? I don't recall there being a specific number of precious in that.

- Why is he complaining about Calish and the explosions when that's clearly Sentai footage?

- Why is Johnny Young Bosch in a MMPR outfit? If he was in Turbo, shouldn't he be in a Turbo outfit?

Pluto

- Why is he complaining about Calish and the explosions when that's clearly Sentai footage?
The explosions aren't sentai footage, sentai explosions are different from PR explosions (I refuse to call them Kalishsplosions because Kalish wasn't responsible for them, Koichi Sakamoto was). If the explosion is just in the background and the ranger is flying through the air in slow motion and the entire thing is repeated several times, it's PR footage.

NeonZ

- Am I remembering wrong?

Yes. It was Gaja that upgraded them in Boukenger.

- (Zyuranger spoiler) Did Rita have a son in MMPR?

No son at all suggested before Overdrive.

- Were the factions fighting each other over anything more specific than world domination in Boukenger? I don't recall there being a specific number of precious in that.

They were fighting each other for control over the Precious. And, yes, there wasn't a limited number of them in Boukenger, since they're created by humanity's dreams and even more of them could still be created. They're generally completely unrelated to each other.

- Why is Johnny Young Bosch in a MMPR outfit? If he was in Turbo, shouldn't he be in a Turbo outfit?

He gave away his Turbo powers. He still could just have used Zeo, which wouldn't even need to be restored since they were never destroyed, but MMPR is just more well known.

WillyFive

Operation Overdrive, alongside the rest of the Kalish seasons and RPM, were actually for the most part almost entirely original footage (not that Linkara would know). The part in the video were he complains about the explosion does contain a scene from Boukenger (when BoukenBlack throws his hammer like a boomerang), but everything else was PR original footage. It's easier to tell when you notice that original PR footage uses real explosions instead of CG ones, uses slow motion, characters posing in mid air with an explosion behind them (also in slow motion), a different color depth, different FOV, and footage staying in a 4:3 aspect ratio (for some reason instead of cropping the 16:9 Boukenger footage, they stretched the footage out vertically for PR, making all the characters really skinny. They continued doing even this until RPM).

There's a low-res scan of a magazine cover with a decent shot of Drive and Gaim on the front. Including the show's logo.

Magazine covers are ok to post?

I like how Drive looks on the magazine cover. Kind of reminds me a bit of Accel, to be honest, but that's not a bad thing in my book. The things on his hip I'm assuming would be something that changes his form?

Defuser

He gave away his Turbo powers. He still could just have used Zeo, which wouldn't even need to be restored since they were never destroyed, but MMPR is just more well known.
The turbo movie(?) stated that the Zeo powers is getting too powerful which would kill them if they continued using them which is why they switch to turbo powers IIRC.

But apparently Forever Red created a plot hole when Tommy transformed into Zeo Red lol.

Top Bottom