• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

NeonZ

Better quality Drive picture from Amazon
71CJ6AYjUuL.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4091051456/

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOdmKlXbKqk

I'd like to know where all the cg dinos came from, because you know Saban didn't make that shit.

I don't get people's problem with him complaining. HOPR is about Power Rangers only. Not Sentai. That's why he doesn't refer to Sentai to explain some of the stuff. Saban probably could have brought Titanium in but he didn't.

Because some of his stupid complaints can be explained away with "because that's what they did in the sentai"

WillyFive

I'd like to know where all the cg dinos came from, because you know Saban didn't make that shit.

Considering it's a marketing teaser and not meant for public eyes, it's probably just random clips from dino documentaries and movies. They tend to have stuff like that (like the Rayman Legends leaked trailer that had BTTF music in it) because it's all only temporary and only meant to be seen by investors and industry insiders. Heck, this trailer had Kamen Rider Wizard in it and they left the audio from the Kyoryuger footage in; and last year's Super Megaforce trailer had TV-Nihon subs in it.

It would be cool if Saban invested in CG (because we sure know Toei isn't), but I don't see it happening.

Defuser

Because some of his stupid complaints can be explained away with "because that's what they did in the sentai"
Not even Judd Lynn can save the terrible voice acting that plaguing Samurai,Mega and Super Mega.

Ninja White was 14 during Kakuranger, Go-On Green was 16 when the series started, 15 when he was cast.

Oh man, I still remember when Tsuruhime got 'groped' by Sandayu when he tried to stop her.

WillyFive

*Looks at Drive logo*

I KNEW IT! THE 7 IS REAL!

(Probably just a coincidence, but it's kind of funny if it were intentional.)

Nah, unless proven otherwise by some CG special effects during his henshin; this might be the first Rider to drop the numbering scheme.

shaowebb

lol Screen Actors Guild shirt

Yay! Axelrod is pretty chill. He showed up at Tsubascon one year and I gave him some Hi Chew to munch on. Fun fact...dude was like a living cloud of weed the whole con. No one gave a shit though. He was just fun and encouraging and glad to talk to anyone the whole time he was there.

Best part was when he did the Lord Zedd voice to describe how he came up with the voice for the character and said "It comes up from the your BALLS"

Amazing guy.

jwk94

Yeah, but shit, that's nothing. Mari's actress was like 14 in Faiz.

Those scenes with Kusaka being all obsessed with her just got a LOT more creepy, didn't they?

Ninja White was 14 during Kakuranger, Go-On Green was 16 when the series started, 15 when he was cast.
Damn, I knew Green was young but the others too? Wow.

Cameron Jebo doesn't look happy about not standing next to someone.

He really doens't.

JokerAceX

Lot of exposition on this week's Gaim. Looks like next week is when shit gets really real :(

don't want to give a major spoiler but man....some of that was kinda whack

man Toei why did Roshuo have to go out like that, also f**** micchi and ryouma

shaowebb

Started back in on Faiz. Barely had watched any before...I'm only on ep 5 now. Man this show is brutal with the Xray stuff and destruction of people's organs. Loving it so far. It was either this or Kuuga...for now I'll be watching some Faiz. Kuuga was boss though so I look forward to hitting it again soon too.

Hurray for Retro Rider time.

Started back in on Faiz. Barely had watched any before...I'm only on ep 5 now. Man this show is brutal with the Xray stuff and destruction of people's organs. Loving it so far. It was either this or Kuuga...for now I'll be watching some Faiz. Kuuga was boss though so I look forward to hitting it again soon too.

Hurray for Retro Rider time.
In spite of the misunderstandings and the underuse of Axel and Blaster forms, I freaking love Faiz.

WarRock

Man, after Fourze they don't even try to make the suits look Rider-esque anymore, huh? But it looks pretty good to me.

Lot of exposition on this week's Gaim. Looks like next week is when shit gets really real :(

Crazy how we keep saying that.

javadoze

Huh? Bug eyes, antennae, V shaped mouth, belt; it looks just as much as a Rider as all of them.

Ever since Ryuki and Hibiki, what constitutes a rider just kinda melts down to if they have a belt and (maybe) say "henshin". But with that said, Drive is a pretty solid design.

WillyFive

Ever since Ryuki and Hibiki, what constitutes a rider just kinda melts down to if they have a belt and (maybe) say "henshin". But with that said, Drive is a pretty solid design.

The only big change in what a Rider is started with early Heisei; when Riders weren't cyborgs anymore and became closer to Metal Heroes in premise. But in terms of design; they still have all the Rider design qualities; like having big bug eyes, V shaped mouthpiece, antennae, and a ride. Ryuki and Hibiki have all of these, as does all the other titular Riders thereafter; it's how you can quickly tell it is a Rider design. Look at all the Rider helmets, and you notice they have the exact same face:

iNjWUJTrFYtga.gif

shaowebb

The only big change in what a Rider is started with early Heisei; when Riders weren't cyborgs anymore and became closer to Metal Heroes in premise. But in terms of design; they still have all the Rider design qualities; like having big bug eyes, V shaped mouthpiece, antennae, and a ride. Ryuki and Hibiki have all of these, as does all the other titular Riders thereafter; it's how you can quickly tell it is a Rider design. Look at all the Rider helmets, and you notice they have the exact same face:

iNjWUJTrFYtga.gif

Dude...no.
Thats like looking at a human's face and going "they got the same face!" because we put our nose, eyes and mouth in the same general quadrants of our head. The general shape of the antenna or V pattern near the center of the helmets forehead is to imply nit eyebrows making an aggressive or angry expression. Its why you put some kind of slanted divider in the middle in general or use angled eye shapes for the lenses...its to convey intensity in a face that can show no other expression.

WillyFive

Dude...no.
Thats like looking at a human's face and going "they got the same face!" because we put our nose, eyes and mouth in the same general quadrants of our head. The general shape of the antenna or V pattern near the center of the helmets forehead is to imply nit eyebrows making an aggressive or angry expression. Its why you put some kind of slanted divider in the middle in general or use angled eye shapes for the lenses...its to convey intensity in a face that can show no other expression.

From the first Rider, he has looked like a grasshopper, with antenna and bug eyes. Other Toku designs don't follow this design; and yet every Rider since has. Yes, one of the reasons the design is good is because it also conveys a slight expression; but that doesn't mean the obvious bug design language they've been using doesn't exist.

alvmew

Gaim 42

FINALLY.
Finally, we know who/what Sagara is. Glad that he/Helheim is just destruction for its own sake - no one wanting to destroy the universe for personal reasons, just doing it because that's all it knows how to do. Micchy better die next week, and I can't wait for Overlord!Kaito.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Gaim 42

FINALLY.
Finally, we know who/what Sagara is. Glad that he/Helheim is just destruction for its own sake - no one wanting to destroy the universe for personal reasons, just doing it because that's all it knows how to do. Micchy better die next week, and I can't wait for Overlord!Kaito.

I mean it's kind of been obvious for a while. The first time I felt it was super obvious was when he gave Kouta Kiwami. If you look back to the character from even the first episode you can say huh, yeah.

Characters starting to drop off next episode!

shaowebb

From the first Rider, he has looked like a grasshopper, with antenna and bug eyes. Other Toku designs don't follow this design; and yet every Rider since has. Yes, one of the reasons the design is good is because it also conveys a slight expression; but that doesn't mean the obvious bug design language they've been using doesn't exist.

You do realize that Hibiki wasn't even originally going to be a Rider series right? Saying his look fits your profile theory is pretty extreme.

I'm sorry, but I really feel you're seeing what you want to see here. They have been looking less and less Grasshopper like though since Showa era ended though. The designs have become more angular IMO simply because the quality of suit design has improved in terms of armor making. Back in the day things had softer more rounded looks because that was about the best they could swing given the materials they were working with. Now we have lightweight sandable/castable malleable thermoplastics to allow for the easy creation of about anything we need as well as sweet stuff like acrylics, fiberglassing, and vacuum forming techniques. They can get crazier with the designs and they can pick themes that would have been harder to do back in the day. Now they can just choose whatever theme they think they can market rather than trying to fit the original bug motif.

WarRock

I was talking about the entire suit, but even then... there's a pretty vague shape there. I can do it to pretty much anything:

Gaim, Drive and Fourze look way more like Ryukendo or Winspector suits than Rider, for instance, specially since they don't follow the same general armor shape for the torso and legs, like Kabuto did or Kuuga did.

NeonZ

You do realize that Hibiki wasn't even originally going to be a Rider series right? Saying his look fits your profile theory is pretty extreme.

That was before Hibiki even had a final design though. It's not like they just slapped Rider on something that wouldn't be a Rider show. That was something early in production. They've justified some of Hibiki's odder elements, like not using a belt to transform, by comparing him to Amazon, which also didn't have a transformation belt or a Rider Kick finisher (although Amazon still had clear buy eyes, unlike Hibiki).

Gaim, Drive and Fourze look way more like Ryukendo or Winspector suits than Rider, for instance, specially since they don't follow the same general armor shape for the torso and legs, like Kabuto did or Kuuga did.

Eh, Fourze had clear bug eyes and was mostly unarmored aside from the boots and gloves, no way he fits something like Winspector. Gaim might not have the bug eyes or the muscle-like armor, but he does have the dented mouth crusher - and it's not like muscle armor was something universal even among Showa Riders. As early as X and Stronger we have Riders without it, even if they went back to it afterwards.

Drive gives the impression of a clear face, but then they have clear divisions there for the mouth plate, and eyes. Now, they aren't designed in a traditional Rider way, and I guess you could throw that design as an imaginary 90s Metal Hero show, but it wouldn't really fit alongside any existing Metal Hero either. Ryukendo is another matter though, and, yes, Drive could fit reasonably well there, but, really, Ryukendo itself is pretty much Heisei Rider inspired in design. They just had to go with original helmet and chest designs, but the general armor structure (chest, shoulder pads, boots, gloves, helmet, belt over a main suit) is pretty much taken from Heisei Rider itself.

WillyFive

I'm sorry, but I really feel you're seeing what you want to see here. They have been looking less and less Grasshopper like though since Showa era ended though. The designs have become more angular IMO simply because the quality of suit design has improved in terms of armor making. Back in the day things had softer more rounded looks because that was about the best they could swing given the materials they were working with. Now we have lightweight sandable/castable malleable thermoplastics to allow for the easy creation of about anything we need as well as sweet stuff like acrylics, fiberglassing, and vacuum forming techniques. They can get crazier with the designs and they can pick themes that would have been harder to do back in the day. Now they can just choose whatever theme they think they can market rather than trying to fit the original bug motif.

It's well known Hibiki was not originally a Rider show. But as it seems, although Ishinomori wrote the story LONG before it was a Rider show (he was still alive, after all), but by the time it had entered production, it had apparently been green-lit as a Kamen Rider series.

Anyway, I understand your point about modern technology allowing artists to be more varied in their designs, and I appreciate you talking about building techniques; but I don't really see how that conflicts with the existing Rider design choices. They had all the freedom to deviate from the Rider design, but yet it is still here even with Drive.

I was talking about the entire suit, but even then... there's a pretty vague shape there. I can do it to pretty much anything:

The image you posted shows that it's very different though. For example, Zubat's and Jiraya's visor are sharp, not evoking a rounder large bug eye, and Zubat's logo on his forehead is not a stand in for a bug antennae. The one on the bottom left follows the visor as the mouth of an animal design; which is something Sentai does a lot (like with Jetman and Kyoryuger) but Rider does not. The other Metal Heroes do not have anything that evokes the Rider design. The Gekiranger are rare in Sentai designs in that the visor also functions as the "eye" of the animal it's based on (just like Rider with it's bug eyes), but the design is obviously meant to represent a cat.

Fourze was intentionally designed to look like Skydain; but Skydain did not have the bug antennae and had a flat chin that doesn't fit with the chins of the other Riders. Interestingly enough, the original Skydain did have Rider-like eyes, but his modern redesign for the Fourze movie changed them.

Anyway, you can draw a mouth, eye, and 'thing on top' to almost any Toku design; that doesn't mean it is the same as the Rider template.

WarRock

Anyway, I understand your point about modern technology allowing artists to be more varied in their designs, and I appreciate you talking about building techniques; but I don't really see how that conflicts with the existing Rider design choices. They had all the freedom to deviate from the Rider design, but yet it is still here even with Drive.
Ah, let me be clear here, I don't think most of those designs conflict with older ones. But they've changed enough that they barely look like from the same franchise IMO. This doesn't mean every suit before followed a pretty identical design or pattern though; Black and ZO are pretty different from Super-1 that already was pretty different from Stronger who had very unique chest... They still had enough similarities.

W, OOO and Wizard (at least Flame Wizard) suits have some outstanding design choices in being strongly based on the Showa designs and still having completely different motifs and general shape. Uh, not Brakawani or Putotyra, though.

I also want to say I'm sorry if what I'm saying sounds too rough, my English is pretty bad and it's hard to elaborate on this for me.

The image you posted shows that it's very different though. For example, Zubat's and Jiraya's visor are sharp, not evoking a rounder large bug eye, and Zubat's logo on his forehead is not a stand in for a bug antennae.
Eh, I would argue that neither Gaim's crest, Hibiki's horns, Den-O and Kiva's eyes, besides other examples, don't stand for bug antennae too. But they evoke a shape close enough.

Kiva, Den-O (and New Den-O), Accel (though you can make a case with the monoeye highlight) and Wizard's eyes aren't round bug eyes too, though they are the exception, not the rule. Separated round eyes certainly are a mark of Rider design (also a reason as for why Hibiki doesn't look that Rider-esque).

As a matter of fact, I did some drawings for college some time ago, creating helmets from animal faces. One of them was inspired by a dragonfly, and I had the hardest time converting the bug eyes into a "realistic" helmet visor... until I said fuck that and made them huge, separated eyes... and it worked really well! But it also looked like a straight Rider rip-off haha.

Gaim 42
Damn. Lemme see:
-
Phantom Hawktiger
having the best lines again
- The final moments in the fall/fate of each MC
- Sagara and Women of Beginning roles reveled
- Rain scene! Not a fight, though
- Kachidoki having a great shot
- Preview making me anxious for next week already

Yeah, this is a good show.

Xerotwo

Gaim 42

FINALLY.

Damnit Urobutcher, are you trying to imply that Sagara is the equivalent of Kyubey?

Fuck, there's gonna be a lot of shit going down next week, Baron was cool tho

Also,
Damn, Kachidoki looks sooo badass in this episode

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Gaim 42

FINALLY.

dem obvious christian references doe

Also it seems Micchy will die

Top Bottom