• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

javadoze

Some possible hints by Saban Brands on if they're adapting ToQger or not:

https://twitter.com/Odot92/status/503685048193646592
https://twitter.com/Odot92/status/503685831257628672
https://twitter.com/Odot92/status/503686988445147136
https://twitter.com/Odot92/status/503687662952140800
Saban's current thoughts on Tokkyuger: trains are not major part of kids lives in USA like Japan. Trains also not major public trans in US.

Does not mean Tokkyuger will be skipped. Depends what Toei does next. But Saban isn't in love with Tokkyuger. This is per Bandai.

Saban feels ToQ suits incredibly pre-schoolish. Zords too stiff. But we'll see. Depends on ToQ's final sales in Japan & Toei's next theme.

“@Morphin_K: @Odot92 So basically toy sales are the deciding factor on if Saban can skip a Sentai or not?” Basically. Saban all about the $$

So basically because Power Rangers is going to be way behind Sentai unlike past years (assuming they're not doing a Megaforce/Super Megaforce deal anytime soon), Bandai and Saban are going to be more picky about what Sentai shows they're going to adapt.

Sooo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhstyHwFpS0

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
6ezYFD8.jpg

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Some possible hints by Saban Brands on if they're adapting ToQger or not:

https://twitter.com/Odot92/status/503685048193646592
https://twitter.com/Odot92/status/503685831257628672
https://twitter.com/Odot92/status/503686988445147136
https://twitter.com/Odot92/status/503687662952140800

So basically because Power Rangers is going to be way behind Sentai unlike past years (assuming they're not doing a Megaforce/Super Megaforce deal anytime soon), Bandai and Saban are going to be more picky about what Sentai shows they're going to adapt.

Sooo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhstyHwFpS0

im suprised. theres tons of shit to sell, and its not like samurais have major appeal with kids either.

WillyFive

Ah, let me be clear here, I don't think most of those designs conflict with older ones. But they've changed enough that they barely look like from the same franchise IMO. This doesn't mean every suit before followed a pretty identical design or pattern though; Black and ZO are pretty different from Super-1 that already was pretty different from Stronger who had very unique chest... They still had enough similarities.

W, OOO and Wizard (at least Flame Wizard) suits have some outstanding design choices in being strongly based on the Showa designs and still having completely different motifs and general shape. Uh, not Brakawani or Putotyra, though.

I also want to say I'm sorry if what I'm saying sounds too rough, my English is pretty bad and it's hard to elaborate on this for me.

It certainly does depend on the person if they accept the suits as being part of a line; but in my opinion they are very obviously intentionally keeping the line together through their basic stylistic design decisions.

Eh, I would argue that neither Gaim's crest, Hibiki's horns, Den-O and Kiva's eyes, besides other examples, don't stand for bug antennae too. But they evoke a shape close enough.

Evoking is the entire point. You can do Samurai's without having a two-pronged helmet; you can do demons without having horns stick out the front of the skull (they are usually on the sides instead), you don't need to have Peaches on the face of a Toku hero based on trains, and you don't need to have bats with wings pointing to the sky for a vampire Toku hero; all of those design decisions of having dual pointy upward things on their faces were intentionally made to evoke the antennae of the original Riders.

Kiva, Den-O (and New Den-O), Accel (though you can make a case with the monoeye highlight) and Wizard's eyes aren't round bug eyes too, though they are the exception, not the rule. Separated round eyes certainly are a mark of Rider design (also a reason as for why Hibiki doesn't look that Rider-esque).

As a matter of fact, I did some drawings for college some time ago, creating helmets from animal faces. One of them was inspired by a dragonfly, and I had the hardest time converting the bug eyes into a "realistic" helmet visor... until I said fuck that and made them huge, separated eyes... and it worked really well! But it also looked like a straight Rider rip-off haha.

All of the Riders you mentioned did have large bug eyes; if they didn't want them to have large bug eyes, they could have made them more like single visors (like Metal Heroes and Super Sentai). But each of those Riders have designs with specifically separated bulbous eyes (even Wizard, whose eyes are flat on his face, has metal lines that stick out creating the silhouette of large bug eyes). They aren't an exception at all; even though they also designed them to look like other things, the only reason they chose those specific things was so that they could look like bug eyes too.

Also, I'd love to see that drawing; it sounds awesome.

“@Morphin_K: @Odot92 So basically toy sales are the deciding factor on if Saban can skip a Sentai or not?”

Wow, I figured that was the only factor that decided which one was adapted. It's the fact that their opinions on the show are even being considered that's news to me.

Either way, I call out their bluff. I know for a fact that trains are HUGE for little children (see: Thomas the Tank Engine, Chuggington, etc.), so I don't see any reason that would convince Bandai to not sell this show outside Japan.

vareon

More scans of Drive!

Drive's actor looks.....interesting. I can't tell if he's older than the average KR guys we used to have, but he sure dressed older. Like a police or special unit. At one page he looked like a Red ranger from 90s Sentai, even!

^Looks like a Japanese Tom Hanks.

Also, from the scan
The Drive Driver has a consciousness. MC calls it belt-san.

The Gaim X Drive special has a
third apple Rider that looks like Hibiki does Kamen Rider Mars does Pimp My Ride

javadoze

Shinnosuke definitely looks older than past rider protagonists (and more like Showa riders and 90s Sentai reds). The car also seem interesting (funky spike?) and seem more in vein of the Fourze modules (keeping Drive in base form while changing the tire). Also of note, in order for Drive to transform, he needs to pop the trunk if the shift car, making it look like *readies tinfoil hat* a 7

Pretty weird casting changes. I wonder what prompted the casting of someone who isn't under 25?

WarRock

So, the stripe in the middle of the tire changes colors instead of the entire suit? Wonder if the car will change too.

Also, in the last scan he has a mouth plate, covering all of his mouth/jaw like a traditional Rider mask. Will that be for his Rider Kick or just a suit detail, like Ronin Warriors?

DarkWish

Watching all the Power Morphicon videos from this past weekend make me disappointed I couldn't go. Lots of great cast members came and just hanging out with everyone would have been a blast. Plus, I missed out on Elie Dekel announcing my name for the Power Force... that would've been cool.

I definitely plan to be at the next Power Morphicon in 2016 though... with the reboot movie and everything that year, it's going to be crazy.

WillyFive

Watching all the Power Morphicon videos from this past weekend make me disappointed I couldn't go. Lots of great cast members came and just hanging out with everyone would have been a blast. Plus, I missed out on Elie Dekel announcing my name for the Power Force... that would've been cool.

I definitely plan to be at the next Power Morphicon in 2016 though... with the reboot movie and everything that year, it's going to be crazy.

40th Anniversary for Sentai too.

Vargas

Are you going to get the free swag at that was given to the Power Force members?

DarkWish

Are you going to get the free swag at that was given to the Power Force members?
I don't know. I'm hoping Saban Brands saved a Power Morphicon key set, but they haven't told me anything yet. Someone in the Power Force before said they mailed some swag to the people that couldn't make it last time, so I hope that's the case this time. But thankfully, if they don't, a fellow Power Force member said he'd help me out.

Vargas

I don't know. I'm hoping Saban Brands saved a Power Morphicon key set, but they haven't told me anything yet. Someone in the Power Force before said they mailed some swag to the people that couldn't make it last time, so I hope that's the case this time. But thankfully, if they don't, a fellow Power Force member said he'd help me out.

Hopefully you get it since I saw on your twitter that you were thinking about buying the set, congrats on making it in and keep at it with your reviews.

shaowebb

Are their any production artbooks of concepts for any Rider Shows? I think I remember hearing some of the current day Dynasty Warriors artists helped with Toei suit monster concepts at different points in their careers. I'd love to see some concept drafts of Orphenochs and stuff from Wizard or Kiva's enemies. A lot of fun stuff in those. Heck even Fourze and Blade had some great stuff so any and all design books would be cool.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
There's a scan showing Drive's MOTW...so, yeah, guess we're back to that format.

Seems they're like cars corrupted by "Frankenstein Cores" and turned into monsters. We've got a Spider, Bat, and Snake Monster, so it seems the show might homage classic Rider.

javadoze

There's a scan showing Drive's MOTW...so, yeah, guess we're back to that format.

Seems they're like cars corrupted by "Frankenstein Cores" and turned into monsters. We've got a Spider, Bat, and Snake Monster, so it seems the show might homage classic Rider.

Given the show maybe being similar to Kuuga and Double (2-parters reflecting a single case), I wouldn't mind. But then again, it'd be better if the 2-parters went away for good after Gaim's bigger focus on a main plot.

EDIT: It seems that there's 108 different monsters born from the viral cores, so who knows what the format of the show is going to be like? The monsters don't come from humans, so maybe that will get rid of the victim-of-the-week format?

Slayven

They better do a hummer and make him an asshole boxer.

Are their any production artbooks of concepts for any Rider Shows? I think I remember hearing some of the current day Dynasty Warriors artists helped with Toei suit monster concepts at different points in their careers. I'd love to see some concept drafts of Orphenochs and stuff from Wizard or Kiva's enemies. A lot of fun stuff in those. Heck even Fourze and Blade had some great stuff so any and all design books would be cool.
There's one for the guy who did Blade's Undead and Kabuto's Worms, but I don't remember the name of it.

WillyFive

Here's some early concept art for Den-O

iO0QLjO3I5GxI.jpg

i3eUriW66R3SE.jpg

igXyx4oDvQx7g.jpg

ibmwCf1RVx6w8l.jpg

Would love to see more of these in a book somewhere.

Watch Da Birdie

The new Rider is pretty tall, apparently he's 165cm, or around six feet. Saw a picture of him with cast members (for another show I think), and he towered over them.

Seems Christopher Peppler is the voice of the Drive Driver/Trideron.

Better known as Gus from Crazy Taxi. 0.o

Also, I'm pretty sure looking over the old toy scans Drive will have actual form changes, so it's gonna be like Fourze where there's add-ons, and then new forms. All the "forms" we've seen are still Type Speed apparently, and there are "Type Power" and "Type Technique" mentioned in the toy catalog.

WarRock

The Carception tumblr mentioned that the Shift Cars in the scan are "non-form changing" and then there is the whole "Type Speed" nomenclature...

I'm guessing each form is a type of car, since all the initial ones look like color swaps.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The new Rider is pretty tall, apparently he's 165cm, or around six feet. Saw a picture of him with cast members (for another show I think), and he towered over them.

Seems Christopher Peppler is the voice of the Drive Driver/Trideron.

Better known as Gus from Crazy Taxi. 0.o

Also, I'm pretty sure looking over the old toy scans Drive will have actual form changes, so it's gonna be like Fourze where there's add-ons, and then new forms. All the "forms" we've seen are still Type Speed apparently, and there are "Type Power" and "Type Technique" mentioned in the toy catalog.

Hes really famous as a radio voice (to go along with the car theme i guess) he also does a lot of tv stuff including the intros to the long running live music show "Music Station"

You can guarantee there will be a lot of English or "gaijin sounding" japanese henshin sounds.

Scans show the different belt logos. Seems likethey change depending on the tire, looks cool.

Hes really famous as a radio voice (to go along with the car theme i guess) he also does a lot of tv stuff including the intros to the long running live music show "Music Station"

You can guarantee there will be a lot of English or "gaijin sounding" japanese henshin sounds.

Scans show the different belt logos. Seems likethey change depending on the tire, looks cool.

Oh! THAT guy.. "Super Live, '95!" ?

shaowebb

Just watched Faiz ep 8

ALL OF MY FEELS. This series is gettin' legit. This was the conclusion to the whole "Curse of having a dream" subtext to the hound Orphenoch and half the cast. The orphenoch are showing that some are monsters who wish to take their suffering out on the world and others are just victims trying to prevent others from suffering as they have. Both are seen as just monsters to Faiz so far who doesn't know that these are anything but killers that prey on those in the city.

I can't wait to see how the story turns should he have to deal with the realization that they might not all be monsters, but instead victims who are suffering. I know theres no way they could skip such a good plot development as that so I'm just gonna kick back and enjoy the ride :)

WillyFive

Where do you do your reviews?

Zynx

Zack.

Mr. Knuckleman will be the hero of the new world.

Without the benefit of the preview spoilers, I do expect the 3 minor riders to survive, they're not in deep enough to have to die by the end of things. Not sure about Minata though. I'm soooo tempted to look at the preview spoilers though.

Just watched Faiz ep 8

You're in for a real ride, I hope you enjoy the rest of the show.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, apparently it was found in the data.

The theory is somehow the team were misinformed about Mitchy getting the Melon Energy, and presumed it'd go over base Ryugen as opposed to Mitchy simply using Zangetsu's suit.

Top Bottom