• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Emitan

yes but we call them BreadTarts and you have to pay cca every time you eat one

TipVF.jpg

VandalD

I was going to post this in the Kotaku D3 vs TL2 thread, but I'd rather not even be a part of keeping that on the front page. Edit: I posted there anyway. So much for that. Derp.

The mindset some people have about cheating in TL2 is interesting - the way they claim that items are worthless if you can just cheat them into the game. It's like people play to get the items instead of getting items while playing the game. I know we're in the loot whore genre here, but I would expect the majority of people to derive enjoyment out of actually playing the game and getting loot in the process, rather than just having the best loot.

That being said, if someone wants to cheat or mod themselves up some OP gear, I don't care. I hope they have fun doing it. I don't have to play with those people.

Edit: Also, the soundtrack is amazing.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I was going to post this in the Kotaku D3 vs TL2 thread, but I'd rather not even be a part of keeping that on the front page.

The mindset some people have about cheating in TL2 is interesting - the way they claim that items are worthless if you can just cheat them into the game. It's like people play to get the items instead of getting items while playing the game. I know we're in the loot whore genre here, but I would expect the majority of people to derive enjoyment out of actually playing the game and getting loot in the process, rather than just having the best loot.

That being said, if someone wants to cheat or mod themselves up some OP gear, I don't care. I hope they have fun doing it. I don't have to play with those people.

Same reason people used game shark the first time they play something. They just want to win real fast. It's funny when those same people get bored of the game super fast though.

I've been playing TL1 a little bit since this morning when I preordered TL2. I can't wait now, TL1 feels so much smoother and finished than even d3.

VandalD

I've been playing TL1 a little bit since this morning when I preordered TL2. I can't wait now, TL1 feels so much smoother and finished than even d3.
You're in for awesomeness if you're liking the original TL. I've said it before and it bears repeating - TL2 is much better than TL in every way.

alazz

I've not played D3 but I can't imagine TL1 being more polished and fluid than D3. You'll start to see its flaws soon (which didn't detract the experience enough for me to care), but the game is a blast. With TL2 so near it doesn't matter; TL1 is probably more of an appetizer for the pre-orderers. TL2 is just so good.

I was going to post this in the Kotaku D3 vs TL2 thread, but I'd rather not even be a part of keeping that on the front page. Edit: I posted there anyway. So much for that. Derp.

Yeah, you've hit the nail on the head. But some people like to spoil the fun prematurely. I occasionally made a D2 character with a trainer and I always got bored of it more quickly than I did with my "own" characters. They were always worth it though, because for me they just reinforced why the game is fun: it's not the grind or the equipment, but the whole package.

TL2 really sweetens the deal with the side-quests and reseeded world maps and bonus dungeons. The pirate cave dungeon was the best unexpected treat of any ARPG game. Cool design, challenging enemies, good loot. Altogether, the beta felt like it'd go beyond the feel of a standard grind-beat-rerun ARPG cycle.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I thought Torchlight 2 is already out, lol. Suckers :)
Am I remembering incorrectly or is this like the 5th time this has happened for you? How did you get the magic account that releases games early?

Daeda

Micro review after 9 hours of playtime:

This game improves hugely on everything compared to TL1. The areas are huge, classes feel less generic, its much prettier, its challenging, more pets (including an awesome Hawk) plenty of loot (and any class can use any weapon, but lacks certain bonusses)

As mentionned before, cant compare to D3, but seeing as this is only a third of the price, I think TL2 might be the better deal per (insert preferred single unit of currency)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
As mentionned before, cant compare to D3, but seeing as this is only a third of the price, I think TL2 might be the better deal per (insert preferred single unit of currency)
You forgot: Remove battle.net and replace bizzaro fanbase with sane human beings.

Daeda

You forgot: Remove battle.net and replace bizzaro fanbase with sane human beings.

That too.. me being more SP oriented I appreciate the former and am careless about the latter, but yeah, offline and LAN support are nice.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I've been listening to the main theme all evening. (Don't want to spoil myself with the other tracks).

I'm fucking excited.

Top Bottom