• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

spirity

When it comes to Action-RPG’s, Torchlight 2 is as good as it gets, with its massive amount of content, online co-op, new skill system, new and easy to use interface, beautifully created areas to explore and four great character classes to mold. Runic were on to something special with the original Torchlight and have managed to update what was so great about it and create a truly complete experience with so few flaws that it’s as close to perfect as you can get in my opinion. The best part of all is that you only have to pay $20 to experience it.

10/10

http://thecontrolleronline.com/2012/09/torchlight-2-review/

The reviewer really gushes over the game, to the extent that they forget to list any of its flaws. Slightly suspicious.

zlatko

Banned
Any trial version of this planned? I'd like to try it out as Diablo 3 was my first foray into top down dungeon crawling loot games, and I loved it. I want to see if this can scratch more of that itch or if D3 is more for me than this is.

antitrop

Any trial version of this planned? I'd like to try it out as Diablo 3 was my first foray into top down dungeon crawling loot games, and I loved it. I want to see if this can scratch more of that itch or if D3 is more for me than this is.
I mean... it's $20, dude.

At that price it's really just a "buy it if you're interested" with no real big deal if you end up not liking it (unlikely).
If you liked Diablo III and want more, then this is really a no-brainer at the price point.

I have a gift copy of Torchlight 1 on Steam if you want it, to give you some kind of idea of what the series is like. Let me know.

spirity

Yeah, there should be a demo up at the same time as release.

zlatko

Banned
I mean... it's $20, dude.

At that price it's really just a "buy it if you're interested" with no real big deal if you end up not liking it (unlikely).
If you liked Diablo III and want more, then this is really a no-brainer at the price point.

I have a gift copy of Torchlight 1 on Steam if you want it, to give you some kind of idea of what the series is like. Let me know.

I believe I tried the T1 demo a long while back but wasn't engrossed by it. Yes it is just 20 dollars but I'm a broke ass college student, and I have Guild Wars 2 and Tekken Tag 2 that just set me back a while. I'd like to get Blands 2 this week, but I know it isn't feasible money wise, but this game may be in the future. I'd like to play it though before I invest...I'm just that kind of guy. :p

I'm glad it's getting a demo though. I'll sink my teeth into that and pony up for the full game after if it wins me over.

I believe I tried the T1 demo a long while back but wasn't engrossed by it. Yes it is just 20 dollars but I'm a broke ass college student, and I have Guild Wars 2 and Tekken Tag 2 that just set me back a while. I'd like to get Blands 2 this week, but I know it isn't feasible money wise, but this game may be in the future. I'd like to play it though before I invest...I'm just that kind of guy. :p

I'm glad it's getting a demo though. I'll sink my teeth into that and pony up for the full game after if it wins me over.

If my opinion means anything to you, I had never played an ARPG before trying TL2 and D3.

Loved the Beta of Torchlight and didnt really get into the trial for D3.

Specifically though, I got the first game for pre-ordering Torchlight and while I enjoyed it, it didnt do a whole lot for me. Take that for what its worth.

zlatko

Banned
If my opinion means anything to you, I had never played an ARPG before trying TL2 and D3.

Loved the Beta of Torchlight and didnt really get into the trial for D3.

Specifically though, I got the first game for pre-ordering Torchlight and while I enjoyed it, it didnt do a whole lot for me. Take that for what its worth.

This is helpful. I definitely didn't see anything special from T1's demo to want to make me get the game. T2 does look a big step up, and as long as the demo is well paced and lets me see as much content as say the D3 beta/demo does, and it's fun, then I'll be all over this game.

sazzy

So does anyone know what time steam unlocks games?

I'm in Sydney, so is it gonna be local time midnight or valve time?

zulux21

if you go to the store page it should say how much longer it is until it comes out... for me it currently says 2 days 1 hour, it might be different in other places though as I recall steam having region staggered releases before

antitrop

It's different for every game.

According to my Steam store page at this exact moment, Torchlight 2 will unlock in 49 hours (2days 1hr).

sazzy

if you go to the store page it should say how much longer it is until it comes out... for me it currently says 2 days 1 hour, it might be different in other places though as I recall steam having region staggered releases before

It's different for every game.

According to my Steam store page at this exact moment, Torchlight 2 will unlock in 49 hours (2days 1hr).

Damn it says the same here.

Well this sucks balls.

It's gonna be 3am here :( good thing I'm free on Thursday...

zulux21

Damn it says the same here.

Well this sucks balls.

It's gonna be 3am here :( good thing I'm free on Thursday...

it will be around noon here, but given how screwed up my sleep schedule is right now... (it's about noon here right now... and I haven't slept yet) and the fact I have things to do thursday night there is a good chance i don't get to play it until friday lol

I definitely should have waited. Figuratively
LITERALLY
threw almost $200 away this year on PC games none of my friends want to play, coulda tried this for a tenth of that.

Not their fault I keep falling for hype.

MajorPain

I definitely should have waited. Figuratively
LITERALLY
threw almost $200 away this year on PC games none of my friends want to play, coulda tried this for a tenth of that.

Not their fault I keep falling for hype.

I don't even want to think of the amount of money I have spent becuase of hype.

Burekma

What was broken about it? I liked it. Made my characters super awesome.
I've seen the broken comment before and never really understood it either.

It was a risk/reward concept based on luck. With each enchant that made your weapon more powerful, you ran a greater risk of loosing them all, thus rendering that weapon completely useless.

It's not like you could enchant your weapon to infinity with zero consequences.

Iresecia

Neo Member
So I prepurchased this months ago and with the influx of games never beat TL. Can I beat it before Thursday with 4 hours in already?

TheExodu5

Banned
What was broken about it? I liked it. Made my characters super awesome.

It's a terrible mechanic. It's purely luck based, and nothing more. There's no limit to how good an item can get, and it encourages save manipulation.

It also made uniques pretty useless, since they cost so much more to enchant than regular weapons.

It was only broken if you were cheating and modded out the failure rate.

I take it that's a no, then?

*sigh*

VandalD

It's a terrible mechanic. I take it that's a no, then?
It was indeed a terrible mechanic. There is no more stat wipe. Enchants can still fizzle and not apply after paying for them, but that's the worst you have to deal with. Also, there's a cap of about 3 enchants per item, depending on the enchanter, and you can clearly see what enchanting added to the item now. You can't basically make your own items with endless enchants anymore. It's much better.

Levito

Banned
Really wish this game had come out before GW2, as I wont get as much time with it now. Either way, looks awesome.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Really wish this game had come out before GW2, as I wont get as much time with it now. Either way, looks awesome.

Yeah but then again, you could say that for 2 months every week. Way too many good games this fall lol

TheExodu5

Banned
They took out stat wipe, and made it much more costly to enchant this time around.

It was indeed a terrible mechanic. There is no more stat wipe. Enchants can still fizzle and not apply after paying for them, but that's the worst you have to deal with. Also, there's a cap of about 3 enchants per item, depending on the enchanter, and you can clearly see what enchanting added to the item now. You can't basically make your own items with endless enchants anymore. It's much better.

That sounds much better.

High cost is good. Now enchanting a low quality item shouldn't be as profitable as finding a high quality item in the first place. Enchants should be there to help boost your good gear and give you something to dump your money into.

Fizzle...not really thrilled with them keeping this since it will still encourage people to make backup saves in case of a fizzle. Just seems rather pointless, especially with an enchant cap.

And yeah, the enchant cap is good. Enchants were silly in TL1 because you can't balance the game around a limitless enchanting system.

Top Bottom