• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Luthos

Oooh I like "relearn the last 3 learned skills" thing. It's a neat way to approach re-speccing.

Also neat for when you reach a new tier of skills. Let's you kinda test out each new ability (for a price).

Sajjaja

Bah..... I'm in school until 9, at which time I have to bus back home which will probably take 1-1.5 hours to get home. :( I could play now but I only got 40 minutes till my next class and that won't be fun. Plus I don't want to play on a mouse pad. Oh well, at least it's here. And I got a day off tomorrow so :D

How is it guys? It is even awesomer than the beta? What classes you guys playing and what do you dig about them?

AIP

Hope you all are enjoying the game.

My gaming computer just died on me. And I waited for so long to play this... Why today of all days.

Playing the beta, I noticed this too, actually. After awhile, I didn't really care. It's just a polish thing that has no real bearing on gameplay.

That said ... it kind of sounds like you just want to be playing Diablo 3, heh.

I've played a lot of Diablo 3 and I'm done with that game for now. Comparisons to Diablo 3 are obviously going to be made though, and combat is one of the strong points of D3 where I find this game to be lagging far behind. Still, it's not fair to pass judgement until at least seeing Torchlight 2 through to the end because it might get better later on. I'm not biased one way or the other, there are things this game does better too... like pets are far more useful than D3 companions, and you can actually use loot that drops to upgrade any piece of gear every couple of levels which was a near impossibility in D3. Both have their pros and cons.

So does anyone know of anyone who is working on a controller mod for this?

I got really sick of point and click action-RPGs long ago, and the perfection of Torchlight XBLA's controls spoiled the shit out of me.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I do agree that there's certain meatiness to the hit animations in D3 that are kinda missing from TL2. Every hit feels sort of....soft.

Really loving the game otherwise.

It's just me or it is noticeable easier in Veteran than TL1 and the Beta?
Yep! started on Veteran and it feels as "hard" as normal in Beta. I also noticed the number of possible fishing attempts increased significantly. In Beta it was in the 2-3 ranges. Now it's 8+.

anyone else has some seriously bad lags? My cpu is sleeping, gpu is @ 30% and the game is @ 15fps at times. I don't know what causes this :(

scotcheggz

I just found Chester copperpot in some pirate cove and picked up one eyed willies other eye. Awesome!

Spoiler just in case.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
How come enemies take damage when they hit me?

I don't have any items that explicitly state "attackers take damage".

CoLaN

I'm really loving the game so far. I like the flow, i didn't have a single moment during my playtime where i felt bored (unlike what happened in D3). I'm liking the items, skills (trying an Outlander) and the graphic style... which i expected to find a bit too "basic", but it looks like they nailed it, simple aesthetics and charm.

Daeda

And one last observation... the combat isn't nearly as 'meaty' as Diablo 3. At first I thought it was because I was just starting with no skills and gear but even after level 15 it's not really any better. Compare to the Diablo 3 barbarian where you could actually feel the 'punch' of his combat abilities by level 15. I'm playing a ranged Outlander and so far it doesn't seem to be picking up. The range on the pistols is hilariously short even after dumping a few points to increase range. I find myself taking one or two shots and then moving back and repeating this, kind of doing the stop-move thing that doesn't feel fluid at all. Maybe I should try another class or something when multiplayer is fixed.

Im a level 35 outlander now and id say you feel impact later on. Game gets pretty chaotic (in a good way) starting Act 2. Also, the blade boomerang skill is awesome :)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Does one class summon creatures? I was thinking of playing shooter-type ranged but I might go the creature-commanding route if possible.

Luthos

I didn't realize how clean and smooth this game was until I entered my first little dungeon/crypt.

My god this game just looks so crisp and beautiful.

Does one class summon creatures? I was thinking of playing shooter-type ranged but I might go the creature-commanding route if possible.

The embermage's ultimate skill in the ice tree summons an Ice Doppleganger thing.

well I've managed to put some time in now that I have a slightly less awkward dressing on my gaping thumb wound. so good.

every time I go somewhere I notice a fun new feature which impresses me, like the haunted chests or the skeletons which can lose their legs but keep coming at you. also, it's early days, but I'm about ready to declare this to be the best procedurally generated game world ever.

engineer summons ROBUTS

I didn't realize how clean and smooth this game was until I entered my first little dungeon/crypt.

My god this game just looks so crisp and beautiful.

playing at 1080p on my TV it's actually like a painting. it reminds me of dota2 in that respect.

Saprol

I think most classes have at least one thing. I haven't really looked at skill trees but engineers have some robots, embermage has a golem-thingy in its frost tree, I think berserker can have a shadow wolf out, etc.

markot

Banned
Is the 3 skill point respec the best you get? (outside of mods)

Anyway, not sure how I want to play my engineer... melee, robuts or shieldy...

(Engineer second skill tree has lots of robots, first skill is a healering robot)

TxdoHawk

Just setting up now on the stream, home a tad early, we should be ready to go shortly!

Twitch.tv/SteamGAF

I'll be naming the game "SteamGAF Stream" Please click quote for the game password.

Santiako

I lied to myself and played this for an hour. I tried engineer for a bit and settled in shield and 1hweapon. I love the shield bash and the healing robot.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I think most classes have at least one thing. I haven't really looked at skill trees but engineers have some robots, embermage has a golem-thingy in its frost tree, I think berserker can have a shadow wolf out, etc.
That's not as fun as one with multiple, hmmm...

Rokal

And one last observation... the combat isn't nearly as 'meaty' as Diablo 3. At first I thought it was because I was just starting with no skills and gear but even after level 15 it's not really any better. Compare to the Diablo 3 barbarian where you could actually feel the 'punch' of his combat abilities by level 15. I'm playing a ranged Outlander and so far it doesn't seem to be picking up.

This is probably because you are comparing barbarian combat with a ranged class. DH combat feels less 'meaty'/satisfying than barbarian too.

I'm playing an engineer and I was surprised how much weight it felt like my attacks had. I really expected Diablo 3 to stand alone in the feel of combat, but Torchlight 2 does a pretty awesome job.

A couple of quick questions:

-How do I save my progress when I want to exit out?

-How do I turn up the color/contrast on the game? Everything seems kind of washed out imo. I'm playing with everything turned on high and at 1920x1080.

-Am I missing something? This game doesn't really seem to guide you into gameplay/teaching you how to play and how everything works. It's like they threw me into a quest immediately.

xCobalt

Do the characters you make carry over to each game mode? I started single player and have yet to make an account on runic games. Would I have to start over for multiplayer?

Rootbeer

Banned
Having a ton of fun with this so far. It's a simple thing but I just love how you can equip your pet as well as use it as a mule. It's so satisfying :p

Torraz

Dang it. I need that respec mod sooner, rather than later. Since the class is called embermage (and I did not like the first ice spell), I never really tested the two other trees. I just randomly put a point into the third lightning skill, and I really like it - a lot more than the comparable fire skill.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Are there any more four packs of this going? I'd like to get a copy for a friend so he can start today; need steam copy to gift him.

Top Bottom