• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

I just finished the first act.

I think I'm in love with this game, my embermage feels like such a badass with all of the spell combos I have now.

V_Arnold

Killed the first boss on hardest difficulty...well, THAT was better than Skeleton King, for sure :D

The game is good.
Found two uniques. That is why.
Bullshit, that does not matter. Uniques are thrown at you for breakfast in TL universe :p

Er... I might have played nearing 5 hours all in one sitting.

Just got to Act 2.

Amazing. I've got a nice pair of undies for an Embermage if they're wanting something.

PM if you are interested.

The thing that immediately jumps out at me playing this game (and was true for the beta as well) was the starting movement speed is nice. Really nice. Never feels like a slog going from point to point.

fresquito

Really sad that online is not working for me, even when I have a Runic Account, since I didnt link it to Steam. Tomorrow I'm going on a trip and I'll be out all weekend, so I can't play with friends.

Anyway, the game is uttery awesome, from what I have played. I've picked Engie and so far so good. He is not the fastest character, but I like him anyway. I will build it to be pretty tanky.

alazz

Just got into my first Phase portal! Really nice map layout, but it's a survival arena-type challenge, not a dungeon. There are three levers and each one unleashes a long series of spawns, and at the end of each one you have access to a chest. The last wave has two golden chests :O Stuck somewhere midway on the second wave.

I really like to play melee characters with a Dodge mechanic. Berserker or engineer? What do you guys think I should play?

Berserker has a dodge skill (the first in the shadow tree). Berserker has a rhythm that most melee classes in ARPGs don't have. I looove it, but I can understand why someone dislike it.

RS4-

Just got into my first Phase portal! Really nice map layout, but it's a survival arena-type challenge, not a dungeon. There are three levers and each one unleashes a long series of spawns, and at the end of each one you have access to a chest. The last wave has two golden chests :O Stuck somewhere midway on the second wave.

I had crappy drops on the two chests, I think they were runes.

I'm really glad they added fullscreen windowed mode. It may seem like a little thing but it wasn't there during the beta and it's a feature I wish every game included.

Haliela

I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but I'm really bummed this isn't coming to Xbox this time around.

Looks fantastic. I've always thought this game looked better than Diablo III, and that still holds true. Looks like I might have to get it for PC and hope my laptop can run it decently.

alazz

I had crappy drops on the two chests, I think they were runes.

maybe I shouldn't even bother then...well I think I figured out that the wave ends when achieve a killing spree to a high degree, because there's this halo around the obelisk that raises when you kill in succession and lowers when you stop.

Luthos

maybe I shouldn't even bother then...well I think I figured out that the wave ends when achieve a killing spree to a high degree, because there's this halo around the obelisk that raises when you kill in succession and lowers when you stop.

But I'm sure it's random drops. You might get some neat purple or orange.

A few quick questions:

-How do I save my progress when I want to exit out?

-How do I turn up the color/contrast on the game? Everything seems kind of washed out imo. I'm playing with everything turned on high and at 1920x1080.

-Am I missing something? This game doesn't really seem to guide you into gameplay/teaching you how to play and how everything works. It's like they threw me into a quest immediately.

RS4-

But I'm sure it's random drops. You might get some neat purple or orange.

Yeah its still random; I just had shitty luck with mine. I don't know what triggers the wave to end, I just figured you try and kill as much as possible.

Salz01

My first impressions of this game are extremely positive. Love how everything gels, and moves at a fast pace. I hope it can keep it up throughout the whole game. I also like getting quest rewards, and choosing what to get. Feels like I'm working for something other than random loot drops. Like running around with my embermage dual wielding two swords, just because I can.

This game is amazing. The combat isn't as fast paced and hard hitting as Diablo 3's, but it's still lots of fun. I love the secret areas, and killing trash mobs that open up portals to battle arenas with several chests. Also, there was a "Silence of the Lambs" reference in one dungeon which I got a laugh out of.

I want to contact Runic to see if there's a way they will take more of my money. It feels wrong paying $20 for a game with this much content.

Swig_

So can you respec or not? I've been hearing both yes and no. I don't want to waste my talent points early game by not knowing what I'm doing with them yet..

DbXfI.jpg

Anyone want them?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Played Engi with melee and was getting destroyed, switched to cannon and it's so easy now :lol Just about to stop and got my first unique.

Blizzard

Banned
I see people reporting connection issues...but no one is having trouble playing singleplayer, correct?

If nothing else, that's at least one nice thing if there's no DRM besides Steam...though sometimes Steam games on release are still unplayable because Steam gets overloaded and won't let people install or play. :(

Shepard

Anyone experiencing a "not so smooth" performance? I cave a C2D @3,2Ghz with a 5770. The beta was pretty smooth, but the final game just doesn't feel the same. I can't measure performance, as Radeon pro shows that I'm running the game @ 477-899 fps, when it clearly isn't the case.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
ARgh...you'd figure with this much delay and the semi 'soft' release they had a few days ago, (fuckin Wario....) they'd have this shit resolved by now.

Sigh...I guess I should always expect this for new releases.\

I liked what I did play though
- love movement speed
- love music
- love the atmosphere
- really like the new skill set up they have, which is a big change from the beta
- love the drops. there's something satisfying about seeing all that crap fly out from chests. love the variety too. Unlike D3, I have to really think about what I want to equip. set pieces at LOW levels.
- liked the little change they did with the ID scrolls as well.
- like the little challenges in your weapons to augment them
- LOVE the stash
- like that there are different types of gems

On the other hand
Story is very throwaway. Quests are not exactly varied (meet someone, go into dungeon, kill shit). Wish there was full voice. Wish there was a bit more variety in towns. Wish there was a true summoning class.

In comparison
I will admit, I do like D3's 'skill as melee' system more. Regular whacking or shooting does seem sort of a step back, BUT at least in TL2 your fuckin skills upgrade WITH you so all skills are viable. I also find myself wishing that more games had something akin to Path of Exile skill system as well...or maybe a mix of some sort? I also love how Path of Exile has items you can use to upgrade your weapons as well as gems and sockets. Additionally, the movement and attack 'feels' right in TL2. There were some posters on the PoE thread that said there was 'nothing wrong' with Path, but TL2 does everything so smoothly. I can even friggin run while i'm in my inventory! Skills are quick to dish out and that shift to stand and attack is perfect.

Still
it's TORCHLIGHT 2! :D

Now if they can get multiplayer working right.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Anyone experiencing a "not so smooth" performance? I cave a C2D @3,2Ghz with a 5770. The beta was pretty smooth, but the final game just doesn't feels the same. I can't measure performance, as Radeon pro shows that I'm running the game @ 477-899 fps, when it clearly isn't the case.

I'm on a better processor and better video card than that, and the game feels kind of unoptimized. It easily runs past 60fps but it stutters a lot, and tears like a mofo - I mean eye slicing tearing, with v-synch off.

With v-synch on it still gets good FPS but the stuttering gets even worse.

Svafnir

The main keeping me from playing TL2 is that apparently saves are stored client side? I kinda don't like the idea of a online arpg where anyone can get any item or mod there game super easily... Kinda makes me not want to put the time into my character.

I guess I should be looking at TL2 more as a single player game than a multiplayer experience.

HomShaBom

Banned
How do I see my attack power stats? I see this arcane stats page but I don't see anything that actually says attack power or anything, how to know what gear is better.

WHAT DO I SPEND POINTS ON IM SO SCARED!

I want to make an engineer, I think I like the idea of the heal bot, and I also like wielding big giant two handed wrenches and stuff. Any good skill suggestions for me?

Also, how much should I invest in Mana and Dex for an engineer

Lastly, can you take the socketed gems out after you put them in?

Kalnos

Banned
My biggest annoyance: is there a way to mute the sound when the game is minimized?

I can't play multiplayer because I don't remember my runicgames account/password and their site is garbage

Even if you enter your information correctly it still won't let you through at the moment. At least it isn't letting me through.

If you just want to play with friends you can just use Hamachi.

Top Bottom