• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Gattsu25

Banned
Whoops, almost forgot the main reason I showed up here..

So, I'm playing as a berserker and am indecisve over the Hunter and Tundra skill trees...what do?

Can anyone using either tree share their experiences?

This is probably the most frustrated I've been at a game in a LONG time.

I understand its not Runic's fault entirely, as this is just my circumstances but...

My friends and I are all really busy, and somehow we all decided to put aside everything just for today to play the launch of the game together. We were all eagerly awaiting the official launch, and then realized we had to create a seperate account to play the game.

Lo and behold, the website is down for over 9 hours as of this posting, so we, after putting aside any kind of work for the day, suddenly have nothing to do but twiddle our thumbs for the entire time. And at this point we probably won't be able to all play together for quite a while (we all have different times that we are free).

I understand we can play single player, but the whole point of getting a 4 player pack was that you can play with friends.

Sorry for the rant/venting, I just feel that I wasted an entire day due to this unfortunate error...

Sober

I think the coolest feature is you can give your pet a shopping list of potions/scrolls/other consumables so when he goes to town he can buy it for you when he comes back.

my first mod attempt for tl2 is going to be 360 controls, let's see how powerful this editor really is.

This is probably the most frustrated I've been at a game in a LONG time.

I understand its not Runic's fault entirely, as this is just my circumstances but...

My friends and I are all really busy, and somehow we all decided to put aside everything just for today to play the launch of the game together. We were all eagerly awaiting the official launch, and then realized we had to create a seperate account to play the game.

Lo and behold, the website is down for over 9 hours as of this posting, so we, after putting aside any kind of work for the day, suddenly have nothing to do but twiddle our thumbs for the entire time. And at this point we probably won't be able to all play together for quite a while (we all have different times that we are free).

I understand we can play single player, but the whole point of getting a 4 player pack was that you can play with friends.

Sorry for the rant/venting, I just feel that I wasted an entire day due to this unfortunate error...

definitely feel your pain, but don't give up hope! try using hamaachi or tunngle.

IGN put up their glowing review of the game.

9.1/10

whoah. when the only negative is weak story and characters in an arpg you know the reviewer really had a blast.

my first mod attempt for tl2 is going to be 360 controls, let's see how powerful this editor really is.

definitely feel your pain, but don't give up hope! try using hamaachi or tunngle.

whoah. when the only negative is weak story and characters in an arpg you know the reviewer really had a blast.

Thanks, I have nothing against Runic, and am still definitely planning to play the game. But I really didn't this kind of problem could happen to stop us from playing.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Well, I just played...9 hours? Time to go to bed (4 am). God damn.

Thanks, I have nothing against Runic, and am still definitely planning to play the game. But I really didn't this kind of problem could happen to stop us from playing.

yeah I do get it, ongoing online cock-ups totally ruined borderlands for me, and the gfwl problems with dark souls were a total joke. it's a pain for sure, I've actually started treating the launch day of games like this the same way I did patch day when I played World of Warcraft; that is, hope to be playing without issues, but expect to be not playing online or playing with serious issues.

So what's the problem here? I'm disappointed as well that I can't log in and play with folks? This shouldn't be an issue at THIS point, lol. Jeez, I guess it's back to Borderlands 2 for now... hehe.

antitrop

What's up with the spell aiming? If I hold down right click on the enemy it seems like none of my spells every fucking hit them, I have to aim like... below them instead of on them. It's really annoying. Feels janky compared to Diablo 3.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What's up with the spell aiming? If I hold down right click on the enemy it seems like none of my spells every fucking hit them, I have to aim like... below them instead of on them. It's really annoying. Feels janky compared to Diablo 3.

I have some aiming issues as well. It doesn't seem to always be off, but I sometimes shadow leap in the wrong direction.

antitrop

I have some aiming issues as well. It doesn't seem to always be off, but I sometimes shadow leap in the wrong direction.
Also when holding down the left mouse button and walking around, the game has a very, very hard time deciding whether you want to move next to a ledge or up or down to the next level when there's a ramp or stairs or something like that. Kind of frustrating to see your character run around in circles for a couple seconds because the game can't figure out where your character is trying to go.

Minor quibbles about what is otherwise an amazing game, especially for $20.

alazz

good god this game is an overload of fun. edit: yes I've had some tracking/mouse issues, too. Annoying but not painful.

For the berserker class, are fist weapons something they should always use or will any melee weapon work just as well?

assuming you're going for a dual-wielding melee build, I think any Very Fast weapon class is good. there are a few skills I think that work only if you're using two of the same weapon but I right now use a Claw and a Sword, because I have a hard time finding claws. Claw doesn't have splash damage but it ignores some armor. See what you like best?

I'm not far enough into the game to give a detailed opinion about the weapons. You probably want to stick to claws for the armor ignoring, or just two Very Fast weapons for dual wielding. From what I recall of the beta, dual claws were great once you found two good ones.

notsol337

marked forever
Google is failing me, and I can't find any other posts in this thread, so I'll just ask a question that is probably tired by now...

Is there a way to respec stat points? I know it'll get modded in if it's not, I just want to feel safe experimenting for now. I can't get the Runic Forums to pop up, and google is showing me 12 million reviews!

Mock if dumb.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Google is failing me, and I can't find any other posts in this thread, so I'll just ask a question that is probably tired by now...

Is there a way to respec stat points? I know it'll get modded in if it's not, I just want to feel safe experimenting for now. I can't get the Runic Forums to pop up, and google is showing me 12 million reviews!

Mock if dumb.

I don't think there's anyway to respec stat points.

Adnor

Banned

Mock if dumb.

You can't respect the stats, just the last 3 skill points for now.

notsol337

marked forever
I don't think there's anyway to respec stat points.

I didn't think so either, but that's ok! I remember there being an official mod for a stat reset potion in the first game! It won't be long before someone makes one. That's the beauty of Torchlight!

thetrin

I'm sure it won't be long before someone mods in the respec potion again.

Well of course. The best part of the game is that it has a Steam workshop, so there will be tons of mods sooner rather than later.

Anyone having issues with FPS????
It will randomly drop to 30 fps, then go back to 60. In huge battles it really prefers to be around 30. Also there is obvious stuttering (due to this frame rate fluctuation).

Aside from these issues, this is the best top-down RPG I've played in a long time. Perhaps the art-style is a bit too kiddy and thus not as immersive (D3 got the atmosphere right). It's about as fluid and well animated as diablo 3, and sound is excellent too. Clear advantages over D3 is the pet system, rares and uniques drop often, and there are lots of mini-bosses (or are they real bosses - I'm not clear on this - I'm at lvl 15 atm).

cheers

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
The mod I'm looking forward to (I'm pretty sure it will pop up eventually): Armor for pets, as in, actual 3D modeled armor.

I'd like to see the bulldog running around in a set of plate.

antitrop

The green house button on the pet screen
Ya, I gathered that much, but I can't figure out how to specify which items my pet is going to sell when he goes back to town. Can you specify that, please?

EDIT: Oh, nevermind. He sells all the shit in the Equipment pane. I thought that meant equipping items on the pet. Wait, so how the hell do I equip pet items on the pet?

I'm dual-wielding wands now? With Wand Chaos, this is going to be awesome as hell. Deadly from afar, even deadlier at close range. I freakin' love this game! @_@

Spruchy

Going straight up Ice Mage so far, game's balance feels a bit wonky regarding normal mobs vs elite/boss mobs. 1-2 shotting normal mobs with no danger, elites take an exceptionally long time (in some instances TOO long, as in it exits the realm of challenging and enters the one of boredom).

Guys, Wand Chaos will randomly call a meteor to strike down from the sky or an ice tsunami. Meleeing with a mage has never been this fun.

Also, how do I save my game?

Blizzard

Banned
Some quick noob questions, just turned level 2. The music is good and the pets are adorable. :)

1. Is there a way to kite, like in league of legends? As in, automatically attack enemies that are in range, so I can run away from an enemy, automatically turn and shoot once, then turn and keep running, etc.? I can click away, then click on the enemy, but for fast-moving enemies I could see this being a problem, when I'd like an autoattack option (also it'd be nice not to have to hold down the button potentially).

2. Do I need to worry a lot about my pet dying? Is it permanent if it does, or do you just lose it for a while?

Top Bottom